All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

runrussellrun

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:08 pm
try running with one on. Get back to us.

I know, I know, don't run if the mask becomes a problem. stay home.....get fat. DON'T exercise :roll:
If you are running outside and don't stay close to anyone you don't really need to wear it then.
CIty. .........Rock Creek Park will be empty today. Fer sure..... :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:55 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:08 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:42 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:36 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:03 pm WG -- I know the IHME projections are sub-optimal. But better than having nothing when trying to make decisions in the middle of the battle.

So FWIW, they project 538 daily deaths at September 1 on our current path. Versus 96 per day if we go universal masks.

So let's go with Little Marco -- wear the darn mask!!

Especially since there's zero downside of wearing masks. Unless you think like Petey Cry Wolf Gator Troll Boy Brown.

Since PCWGTBB thinks masks are the preferred tool of the TDS FLPs to bring about their preferred totalitarian extermination of all freedom in the USA. But then he also believes George Floyd died of other causes. Gross. Stupid. Predictable.
as i don't think i'll be swaying anyone's decisions and only really risk the ire of the experts on fanlax... the downside isn't zero.
the WHO says so.
there are at least several + "potential" issues with masks and frankly there wouldn't have been all the waffling with major health orgs if that wasn't the case.
that said, i jump in the mask doggy pile for a preponderence of evidence and yeah... if any and all of us want to argue for laws as well as freedoms within reason we should at least try to be on board unless it's a cause worth rebellion.
your crazy modeling guys at ihme notwithstanding.

to me, it is much more a matter of behavior (which can include masks). our behavior will set the direction.
I would think that the upside (that mask/facial covering wearing) is dominant over the downside. Visited my daughter (lives in a fairly major city in the Midwest) this past weekend, and it is clear that no one seems to be without one in the city limits, and usually does not have it over their face unless in pretty close quarters outside, or upon entering a business. Did see a few older people (compared to me at 63) pull up masks while walking down a rail trail when passing the opposite direction...

Get out into the burbs and the mask wearing diminishes a little.
Mask wearing should not be on the downside. It is one of the easiest things we can all do to help protect every one. I am not a person easily persuaded to so something I really dont like doing. Wearing a mask is a no brainer.
Does that mean you are finally delighted to be living in the Empire State? I know I am, where they take a pandemic serious and science rules over politics. NYS didn’t do everything right, but they took one for the country to show the way. I would be very unhappy in a state or region where simply wearing a mask is a big deal.

FYI I was at Letchworth State Park today. I’ve been in every state and NYS has an abundance of beauty matched by few. Niagara gorge yesterday, Genesee gorge today. Next Tuesday I’m going to Syracuse to see if there’s a AC in dmac’s yard.
Scoot over to Buttermilk Falls State Park in Ithaca and maybe Toughannock (sp?) in Trumansburg via either 89 or 96 if you have the time.
I plan to stop over there next week after a stop in Interlaken to say hi to Rod Serling.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

I know, I know, don't run if the mask becomes a problem. stay home.....get fat. DON'T exercise :roll:
This guy tried running with a mask on in the 2011 USA Track & Field championships (due to allergies). He won the 10k...

https://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfiel ... n_rup.html
CU77

Post by CU77 »

imrs.php.jpeg
imrs.php.jpeg (196.23 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Lines of cars wait at a coronavirus testing site outside of Hard Rock Stadium on Friday in Miami Gardens, Fla. (Wilfredo Lee/AP)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 pm
WG -- I find that explanation entirely unconvincing. Because there's zero data presented on the comparative risk profile of wearing/not wearing a mask. Wait....WHAT! This is what I have been saying for months. There is zero proof that wearing a mask.....
WG -- come on. Stop pee-ing on my leg and tell me it is raining.

There is TONS of evidence over the past 100 years that mask wearing stops the spread of disease. Notice all those pictures from 1918? Notice how well all today's mask wearing countries are doing?

What bugs me about your take is that YOU offer ZERO quantitative or comparative DATA about what the countervailing risks might be. OK a mask MIGHT cause me to act out all Covid crazy. But has anyone actually studied that? Or are you just going with your hunch/gut?

Despite the caveated CYA double speak coming from WHO, it seems like their behavior is pretty clear:

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... 04d5827389
just seeing this as i didn't get a quote notification and have been off for a minute.
firstly, the above is not my reply. all good.
secondly, what both you and the poster reference in the way of lack of scientific evidence definitively, or proof if you want to call it that... may in fact be right. the facts are that numerous healthcare bodies and peeps have gone back and forth on this, and/or packaged a mixed or botched message and protocol, in 2020. even after 100 years of evidence. which btw, i'm open to. went thru a number of studies maybe a month ago.

anyway, here's the WHO's updated guidance from early june, broken down in bulletpoints:
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/ ... -know-now/

for more information, inclusive of some of the "cya" points not word for word is the doc the released in the 1st week of june:
https://www.who.int/publications/i/item ... )-outbreak

they have been, i think, making small changes as they go along, and then when they feel they've seen enough to change guidance, a news release, a new full doc. instructive is that prior to the first week of june, even with 100 years of evidence, they weren't prepared to say the cya stuff didn't outweigh the benefit for the covid 19 virus. that may very well be bc not all viruses, circumstances, airborne and other transmission are the same. along with a number of other factors.
they no doubt have a ton more data they're working with that isn't disclosed above and are boiling it down. some of what i got from the guidance:
- they LOVE medical masks. work like a charm in almost all circumstances. even vs n95 masks. concern there for supplies.
- forgetting the "cya" nature of potential risks to cloth/non-medical masks, even though they lean there now for the public at large, they are not sold on the benefits. certainly not as to prevention for the wearer.
- they have a recommendation for non-medical masks to be preventative... 3 layer, filter included.
- for other cloth masks, they note which ones may help the most, Q ratings, etc.

i'd recommend people look at the doc to see what you think you should be wearing. if medical masks are ppe in robust supply now, go for that maybe. or order masks that give you the next best thing. or use the best of the q rating cloths avail to you.

i've tried to make my own sensible decisions for myself and those around me, have a number of stakeholders, as we all do.

i never advocated for one side or the other. you said there was zero downside, which was why i commented. peeps that are more scientific than me and you are factoring in downside risks and benefits and putting rec's out there, including dynamically very recently.

it's a new virus and change can be expected, and all viruses aren't the same. it may be counterintuitive to you and me to think anything other than mask has to help automatically, but evidently that's not how it works.

politics should not be playing a role, but unfortunately it does like about everything else. the best analogy i've seen is a fan's with red lights with regard to that.
Last edited by wgdsr on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:25 am

This guy tried running with a mask on in the 2011 USA Track & Field championships (due to allergies). He won the 10k...

+1000
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:48 pm
holmes435 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:25 am

+1000
a man after my own heart

http://citiusmag.com/rupp-mask-history/

when breath right was king.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Coronavirus spike forces Miami to close beaches for July 4 weekend
https://www.foxnews.com/us/miami-close- ... irus-spike
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:08 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:42 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:36 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:03 pm WG -- I know the IHME projections are sub-optimal. But better than having nothing when trying to make decisions in the middle of the battle.

So FWIW, they project 538 daily deaths at September 1 on our current path. Versus 96 per day if we go universal masks.

So let's go with Little Marco -- wear the darn mask!!

Especially since there's zero downside of wearing masks. Unless you think like Petey Cry Wolf Gator Troll Boy Brown.

Since PCWGTBB thinks masks are the preferred tool of the TDS FLPs to bring about their preferred totalitarian extermination of all freedom in the USA. But then he also believes George Floyd died of other causes. Gross. Stupid. Predictable.
as i don't think i'll be swaying anyone's decisions and only really risk the ire of the experts on fanlax... the downside isn't zero.
the WHO says so.
there are at least several + "potential" issues with masks and frankly there wouldn't have been all the waffling with major health orgs if that wasn't the case.
that said, i jump in the mask doggy pile for a preponderence of evidence and yeah... if any and all of us want to argue for laws as well as freedoms within reason we should at least try to be on board unless it's a cause worth rebellion.
your crazy modeling guys at ihme notwithstanding.

to me, it is much more a matter of behavior (which can include masks). our behavior will set the direction.
I would think that the upside (that mask/facial covering wearing) is dominant over the downside. Visited my daughter (lives in a fairly major city in the Midwest) this past weekend, and it is clear that no one seems to be without one in the city limits, and usually does not have it over their face unless in pretty close quarters outside, or upon entering a business. Did see a few older people (compared to me at 63) pull up masks while walking down a rail trail when passing the opposite direction...

Get out into the burbs and the mask wearing diminishes a little.
Mask wearing should not be on the downside. It is one of the easiest things we can all do to help protect every one. I am not a person easily persuaded to so something I really dont like doing. Wearing a mask is a no brainer.
Does that mean you are finally delighted to be living in the Empire State? I know I am, where they take a pandemic serious and science rules over politics. NYS didn’t do everything right, but they took one for the country to show the way. I would be very unhappy in a state or region where simply wearing a mask is a big deal.

FYI I was at Letchworth State Park today. I’ve been in every state and NYS has an abundance of beauty matched by few. Niagara gorge yesterday, Genesee gorge today. Next Tuesday I’m going to Syracuse to see if there’s a AC in dmac’s yard.
"Does that mean you are finally delighted to be living in the Empire State?"

Delighted would not be the correct terminology. I am smart enough to know when and how to stay safe. :D I hope you enjoyed your trip to Letchworth. Was the Glen Iris Inn open? That is one mighty fine place to eat. Love Letchworth but when my sons were little and we walked the gorge trail I would not let go of their hands. Your walking about 4 feet at times from a 250 foot cliff. A lot of dumbasses have fallen off those cliffs over the years.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Florida facts just don't square with the Democratic narrative:

Florida.jpg
Florida.jpg (106.72 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

for those touting Sweden's response - check out the latest map

CU88

Post by CU88 »

There is no reason to trust any data being released by the state of florida.

The COVID Tracking Project @COVID19Tracking

Florida also reported a record number of cases today—close to 10k.

Florida remains one of the few states that does not report how many people are currently hospitalized.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU88 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:08 pm There is no reason to trust any data being released by the state of florida.

The COVID Tracking Project @COVID19Tracking

Florida also reported a record number of cases today—close to 10k.

Florida remains one of the few states that does not report how many people are currently hospitalized.

Really? Cause it seems easy to find anywhere. Maybe you were too tired to google it. That must be it.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/06/ ... us-battle/

http://www.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/2 ... 19.pr.html

https://floridadisaster.org/globalasset ... 200624.pdf

Also as a friendly reminder, Cuomo 33,000 dead, Desantis 3.200.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Kismet wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:10 pm for those touting Sweden's response - check out the latest map

please. the us of a is making a mockery of sweden's case count

mostly because we have the most tests and the best tests anywhere.

also just saw a headline the cdc thinks our case count could be 24x higher than reported. up from 10x estimate they had a couple days ago. can't find the story yet.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:13 pm
Kismet wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:10 pm for those touting Sweden's response - check out the latest map

please. the us of a is making a mockery of sweden's case count

mostly because we have the most tests and the best tests anywhere.

also just saw a headline the cdc thinks our case count could be 24x higher than reported. up from 10x a couple days ago. can't find the story yet.
+1 :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yup. Most everyone with a pea for a brain could see that what Sweden was doing was a disaster waiting to happen. They got pretty lucky with early seeding, or lack thereof, but you have to pay the piper eventually as they are now.

Seeing the same thing now in the US in Arizona, Texas, and Florida which unfortunately seem to be heading for disasters. The only silver lining is that the medical community, through tough and heroic trial and error experimentation, has figured out some better approaches to treat the disease, which has cut the death rate a bit.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

njbill wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm

Yup. Most everyone with a pea for a brain could see that what Sweden was doing was a disaster waiting to happen. They got pretty lucky with early seeding, or lack thereof, but you have to pay the piper eventually as they are now.

Seeing the same thing now in the US in Arizona, Texas, and Florida which unfortunately seem to be heading for disasters. The only silver lining is that the medical community, through tough and heroic trial and error experimentation, has figured out some better approaches to treat the disease, which has cut the death rate a bit.

Who you gonna believe about Sweden, an American Fanlax lefty who’s never been to Sweden but loves liberal American media, or Sweden’s own head of health?

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... al-mistake

The left has polluted the most basic debates. Don’t engage their narrative. Fight them. Their end game is the ruination of success.

The only unmitigated disaster in this whole scenario is Andrew cuomos New York.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Just look at the stats.

Better go out and stock up on TP, Pete. The shut down is coming to your neck of the woods. Blame one term Ron.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

njbill wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:22 pm Just look at the stats.

Better go out and stock up on TP, Pete. The shut down is coming to your neck of the woods. Blame one term Ron.

I notice you didn’t refute Sweden’s head of health who says you and others are fos. Here’s the link again because obviously you missed it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... al-mistake

Also you may want to understand this graph even though it destroys the liberal narrative:

6BD9942D-9914-4727-AAE1-F76FC07346FE.jpeg
6BD9942D-9914-4727-AAE1-F76FC07346FE.jpeg (139.26 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
njbill

Post by njbill »

Look at Sweden’s numbers, Pete. Compare them to their Scandinavian neighbors. So what if their health guy didn’t like something the WHO said. The numbers don’t lie.

Fortunately deaths nationwide are down. That’s in large part because most of the states with the worst problems, e.g., New York and New Jersey, have gotten things in a much better position.

On the other hand, cases nationwide are up. Deaths are only one metric albeit an important one of course. Even if you are not hospitalized with the disease, it still is very, very rough on many people, including people in your age group. And the jury is still out about long-term or permanent effects.

Look at how bad your numbers are in Florida now. You know that, of course, but just won’t admit that the storm is coming.

BTW, voters in Florida, Texas, and Arizona are going to blame Trump to a significant degree for how badly their states are being hit by the virus. Even Trump, in a Freudian slip, acknowledged he is going to lose.

Return to “POLITICS”