Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:40 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:47 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:38 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:26 pm
If you're not playing the anthem, this is just part of the warm-up mix.
I would do away with the National Anthem before domestic sporting events. It makes sense for international competition but not domestic.....Have felt that way for years. Nothing like the anthem before international competition though. It’s meaningful.
+1 Of course you know in international competition someone is going to take a knee. Then what is the response? The slippery slope has already been opened up. :roll:
The slippery slope has been around for a while cradle - check out some USA winners (sprinters John Carlos and Tommie Smith) in Mexico City in 1968 as the National Anthem was played. The anti-knee protest so to speak. ;)

A young man that I mentored for part of his career is from the Bay Area. His father knew Tommie Smith and he grew up hearing these amazing stories. The best being Tommie Smith ran an unbelievable 440 time in combat boots.
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Another police attack on an innocent black man:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1275730943492456450

Now the victim is suing for $700K. While I hope he gets his money, this alone will not solve the problem. The thing to do is to arrrest the cops and to make them pay for the crime both in terms of jail time and financially.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:46 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:33 am
I would do away with the National Anthem before domestic sporting events. It makes sense for international competition but not domestic.....Have felt that way for years. Nothing like the anthem before international competition though. It’s meaningful.
+1 Of course you know in international competition someone is going to take a knee. Then what is the response? The slippery slope has already been opened up. :roll:
Who cares. My view was formed long before anyone was protesting by taking a knee during the anthem. People will always find a way to protest something. It’s what Americans do and it is what makes living here great.

'Protesting is what makes America great'... I always thought what made America great was family, flag, and opportunity. But lootin' and riotin' are now the reasons!

Interesting way to look at life.

:lol:
My fault. I should have said “one of the things”. Of course protesting isn’t the only thing that makes this country great. Only a fool would draw that conclusion.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 am Another police attack on an innocent black man:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1275730943492456450

Now the victim is suing for $700K. While I hope he gets his money, this alone will not solve the problem. The thing to do is to arrrest the cops and to make them pay for the crime both in terms of jail time and financially.
And this knucklehead wants to sue the cops for being shot in CHAZ, why? Because the police were not there. :lol: https://twitter.com/jason_howerton/stat ... 10784?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Wrongfully Arrested Because Face Recognition Can’t Tell Black People Apart
It is now more urgent than ever for our lawmakers to stop law enforcement use of face recognition technology.

https://www.aclu.org/news/privacy-techn ... px09eDcLf4

Face recognition technology can’t tell Black people apart. That includes Robert Williams, whose only thing in common with the suspect caught by the watch shop’s surveillance feed is that they are both large-framed Black men.

The Untold Number of People Implicated in Crimes They Didn’t Commit Because of Face Recognition
The sheer scope of police face recognition use in this country means that people have almost certainly been — and will continue to be — misidentified, if not arrested and charged for crimes they didn’t commit.

https://www.aclu.org/news/privacy-techn ... cognition/

as shown in the report, many are still in prison
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 am
The slippery slope has been around for a while cradle - check out some USA winners (sprinters John Carlos and Tommie Smith) in Mexico City in 1968 as the National Anthem was played. The anti-knee protest so to speak. ;)

A young man that I mentored for part of his career is from the Bay Area. His father knew Tommie Smith and he grew up hearing these amazing stories. The best being Tommie Smith ran an unbelievable 440 time in combat boots.
While I don't doubt that, that's not to say he ever did that while in the Army. I'm pretty darn sure he was never drafted or enlisted in any branch of the service.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 am

While I don't doubt that, that's not to say he ever did that while in the Army. I'm pretty darn sure he was never draftedT or enlisted in any branch of the service.
I am going to ask my buddy where it was. His father is a big contributor to USF and my buddy is on his way to one day do the same at Fordham. There is nothing liking helping young people and seeing them go on to do great things. I had help coming up and can only do the same for young guys and gals. The guy that helped me was the poorest kid in his high school in Queens. He never new his father and his mother left him and his sister when she was a senior in HS. I believe he was in the 10th grade.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I watched this happen in real time when I was a yute. Black power was not BLM back in the day. These athletes were not protesting cops killing black yutes. I am still waiting for some one here to define for me what BLM actually means. I thought it meant what the words said it meant... Black Lives Matter. I have come to find out that BLM is actually code speak for BLM when a black life is taken by a police officer. When black folks kill other black folks that is somehow another level of murder. Since the murder of black folks by black folks is not a part of BLM, then what the hell do the lives of these black folks matter? Maybe some one here can explain how this works to the family of Latasha Shaw???
https://www.waynepost.com/news/20180615 ... atched-dna

At least 50 people witnessed the murder of Latasha Shaw in the middle of Driving Park Ave. Many of them were black. Why did they not have the giblets to stand up for this woman... DON'T SNITCH TO THE POLICE... Not one mother effing person that witnessed the murder of this black woman had the balls to stand up and help convict the guilty people. BLM unless you are a black woman named Latasha Shaw. Then the only thing that matters is don't snitch to the police. If we demand justice for the cops that kill black suspects then we should all equally demand justice for Latasha Shaw. Someone tell me here where I am wrong. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 am

While I don't doubt that, that's not to say he ever did that while in the Army. I'm pretty darn sure he was never drafted or enlisted in any branch of the service.
I asked my buddy. It was ROTC. He said his father ran against Tommie throughout high school and college. His father says that no matter what the record books say, Tommie was the faster person he has ever seen. He ran a sub 50 440 yard dash in combat boots. He may have left his track shoes. I remember leaving my basketball shoes behind for an away game in college. Luckily the other team gave me a pair to play in.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

"We were not Antichrists. We were just human beings who saw a need to bring attention to the inequality in our country. I don't like the idea of people looking at it as negative. There was nothing but a raised fist in the air and a bowed head, acknowledging the American flag – not symbolizing a hatred for it" - applicable still today 52 years later.

… and white racist heads exploded all over America
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:33 am
[/quoteh ]

"We were not Antichrists. We were just human beings who saw a need to bring attention to the inequality in our country. I don't like the idea of people looking at it as negative. There was nothing but a raised fist in the air and a bowed head, acknowledging the American flag – not symbolizing a hatred for it" - applicable still today 52 years later.

And many other white folks understood what they were saying. FTR on this forum lily white FLP heads explode every damn day. If you would like 72 I will gladly send you a case of super strength duct tape to wrap around your little noggin. I will even send it in black so you won't think you are offending anybody when you wear it around your head. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Great article on how police culture should change by Karen Collins Rice and Seth Stoughton:

Addressing Misconduct Will Require A Change in Police Culture. Is Police Leadership Up To The Challenge?
Policing must evolve, and it can do so by developing a Guardian culture.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/poli ... -challenge
Once again, the country has been rocked by videos of police officers engaged in unconscionable abuse. Once again, people have taken to the streets, demanding change. Once again, elected officials are scrambling to propose solutions. This is a depressingly familiar story, but there is reason for optimism, however guarded. Something feels different this time.

We have seen egregious misconduct and protests before. But unlike other points in recent history, there is a growing appreciation within policing that the status quo is untenable. Long-time police observers will recognize that the public criticism from rank-and-file officers about how their peers handled the George Floyd incident or the resulting protests is simply unprecedented. Perhaps, at long last, we have reached a point where a critical mass of community members, police leaders, and officers themselves are looking for a better path forward.

Policing must evolve, and it can do so by developing a Guardian culture. Guardian policing, which has been championed by notable police leaders, has been defined as a service-oriented approach that emphasizes protecting community members from unnecessary indignity and harm, including the potential indignities and harms that can result from policing itself.

Being Guardians does not somehow render police incapable of dealing with the very real threats they sometimes face. There will still be occasions when officers have to use force, including deadly force. As much as we wish it were otherwise, officers will need to be capable Warriors — meaning they must have the ability and willingness to be assertive, forceful, even combative when the situation requires. But if that is all that officers can do, or if it is primarily how they view themselves, they aren’t going to be very good at serving their communities.

The distinction between Warrior and Guardian is not mere semantics. There is good reason to believe that mindset affects how officers approach and interact with community members. Imagine the difference it would have made for George Floyd, or Martin Gugino, or Walter Scott, or even any number of peaceful protestors if the officers who interacted with them viewed them as community members worthy of respect instead of suspects to be dominated.

Shifting police culture will require more than (yet another) new policy or (yet another) training. It must begin much earlier.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:52 am Great article on how police culture should change by Karen Collins Rice and Seth Stoughton:

Addressing Misconduct Will Require A Change in Police Culture. Is Police Leadership Up To The Challenge?
Once again, the country has been rocked by videos of police officers engaged in unconscionable abuse. Once again, people have taken to the streets, demanding change. Once again, elected officials are scrambling to propose solutions. This is a depressingly familiar story, but there is reason for optimism, however guarded. Something feels different this time.

We have seen egregious misconduct and protests before. But unlike other points in recent history, there is a growing appreciation within policing that the status quo is untenable. Long-time police observers will recognize that the public criticism from rank-and-file officers about how their peers handled the George Floyd incident or the resulting protests is simply unprecedented. Perhaps, at long last, we have reached a point where a critical mass of community members, police leaders, and officers themselves are looking for a better path forward.

Policing must evolve, and it can do so by developing a Guardian culture. Guardian policing, which has been championed by notable police leaders, has been defined as a service-oriented approach that emphasizes protecting community members from unnecessary indignity and harm, including the potential indignities and harms that can result from policing itself.

Being Guardians does not somehow render police incapable of dealing with the very real threats they sometimes face. There will still be occasions when officers have to use force, including deadly force. As much as we wish it were otherwise, officers will need to be capable Warriors — meaning they must have the ability and willingness to be assertive, forceful, even combative when the situation requires. But if that is all that officers can do, or if it is primarily how they view themselves, they aren’t going to be very good at serving their communities.

The distinction between Warrior and Guardian is not mere semantics. There is good reason to believe that mindset affects how officers approach and interact with community members. Imagine the difference it would have made for George Floyd, or Martin Gugino, or Walter Scott, or even any number of peaceful protestors if the officers who interacted with them viewed them as community members worthy of respect instead of suspects to be dominated.

Shifting police culture will require more than (yet another) new policy or (yet another) training. It must begin much earlier.
The police culture will change. The culture of the criminals will remain the same. Who is the winner here?
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:56 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:52 am Great article on how police culture should change by Karen Collins Rice and Seth Stoughton:

The police culture will change. The culture of the criminals will remain the same. Who is the winner here?
Actually if the police culture changes - the community that the criminals operate in might change to allow better prevention of said crime. Helping out those communities by providing necessities would also help in making a choice of criminal behavior harder.
DMac

Post by DMac »

TLD wrote
I asked my buddy. It was ROTC. He said his father ran against Tommie throughout high school and college. His father says that no matter what the record books say, Tommie was the faster person he has ever seen. He ran a sub 50 440 yard dash in combat boots. He may have left his track shoes. I remember leaving my basketball shoes behind for an away game in college. Luckily the other team gave me a pair to play in.
Got it, thanks. Knew he wasn't in the service, just felt as if the "combat boots" would lead one to believe he was. Not suggesting that it makes him a bad person because he wasn't.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:15 pm
TLD wrote
Got it, thanks. Knew he wasn't in the service, just felt as if the "combat boots" would lead one to believe he was. Not suggesting that it makes him a bad person because he wasn't.
No problem. His father says Lee Evans and Tommie Smith ran on the same relays. He says it was like having Larry Bird and Magic Johnson on the same team. My buddy also had a great summer basketball camp story. He was in middle school and his parents forgot to pick him up from GS Warriors basketball camp. Chris Mullin gave him a ride home. He lived in Marin County CA. His father may have been happier than he was.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:33 am

No doubt, but not all heads that exploded were racists. Had that been a long haired white hippie boy disrespecting the anthem (that's the way the exploding heads folks saw it anyway) their heads would have exploded the same way. My father was anything but a racist and I don't have to tell you his head exploded when this happened. Had nothing to do with color though and everything to do with what he considered time and place. You stand and face the flag with hand over heart when the anthem is played, don't care what color you are in his book. The disrespect shown was why his head exploded and his head would have exploded if the guy had been green too.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Piece of trivia.

Do you know why Smith had a glove on his right hand and Carlos on his left? Because they only had one pair of gloves. I imagine Smith got the right hand glove because he won the gold.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:27 am I’m not a fan of our national anthem, but not for the reasons expressed in this thread. I’ve always thought the celebration of a specific battle, and specifically the referencing of a flag surviving the battle, was a strange basis for a national anthem. And then when you add to those lyrics music that is difficult for even many professionals to sing.....

Can’t figure out why it was adopted in 1931 as our anthem when there are so many singable songs that honor our country, its land and its people and not a battle and a piece of cloth.
Thought I’d share these two quick, related videos about a chance encounter through music…relevant to these times and the discussion of the anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ7xRoN ... mb_rel_end

And here’s the full rendition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDy2 ... mb_rel_end

Return to “POLITICS”