Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:00 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:35 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:27 am I’m not a fan of our national anthem, but not for the reasons expressed in this thread. I’ve always thought the celebration of a specific battle, and specifically the referencing of a flag surviving the battle, was a strange basis for a national anthem. And then when you add to those lyrics music that is difficult for even many professionals to sing.....

Can’t figure out why it was adopted in 1931 as our anthem when there are so many singable songs that honor our country, its land and its people and not a battle and a piece of cloth.

Leftism is a religion of self-loathing. It teaches white people to hate their race, boys to hate their sex, women to hate their femininity, Americans to hate their country, westerners to hate their history. It teaches wives to hate their husbands, mothers to hate their children, children to hate their parents.

Turns groups against each other and individuals against themselves. I hate everything about it. It’s poison.

What a contemptible, toxic thing it is.

It's what you support btw.
Your best post.

TBF, it's a quote from Matt Walsh. And it's deadly accurate. What amazes me is supposedly educated people (I assume most lacrosse fans enjoy some level of education?) prove how thoroughly dumb they are, by easily falling prey to a cancerous ideology which at its core is about self-loathing. America has been great since the day it was discovered because we had brains, independence, and freedom.
The translation for Walsh's quote: Don't think. Conform. Government is always right. Independence and freedom is bad. You are who the government tells you you are.

Are you equipped with so little self awareness that you don't understand that you're defending government owned and maintained statues, Pete? You're telling these renegades and underdogs that you've been defending up until now....that they have no voice, no power, and we're going to protect the government song and statues at all costs?

:lol: You're the opposite of who you think you are, Pete. You're defending The Man. Government. Conformance. You just called your group "the normals", FFS. If you had been in a position of leadership in the 1700's, we'd still be a British Colony.

Why can't all these protesters silence their 1st Amendment rights, shut up, and conform, Pete? I just can't figure it out...they must not understand what it is to be an American the way that you do, Pete. ;)
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:14 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:29 am Francis Scott Key was a slave-owner who said racist things. It's a tough pill to swallow that we'd shelve these people due to our better awareness of and sensitivity to racism in america and... maybe that's the pill we need to swallow. That is interesting. (Though i don't love the new song selection.)
There is also another school of tangible historical thought that suggests that the slave references in Key's poem relate to the practice of impressment by the Royal Navy of Americans and other foreigners on the high seas - one of the main causes of the War of 1812 - a battle at which he penned his poem while watching the Royal Navy bombard and American fortification - the context of which would make perfect sense as Key was being held prisoner by same Royal Navy at the time. - We all need to be careful about the slippery slope here in this regard especially in light of some of the mindless destruction going on that incorrectly gloms onto this when, in fact, many of these statues have no connection to it. This applies to Columbus as well - if we are goinf to start with the bad treatment of indigenous people as a placeholder for this a LOT more Presidents, military icons and other significant historical Americans erasure is risked. Erasing history only improves the chances of historical bad acts being repeated.

The issue I have with the Confederate history/heritage/flag is that it was rewritten in the early 20th Century, not coincidentally with the death of most of the actual participants/combatants in the Civil War, to reflect the bogus "Lost Cause" theory that the war was about states' rights and not slavery. The evidence is that the authors of this bogus theory were the descendants of the people who lost the war newly empowered after Federal occupation and reconstruction.
an example of how valuable this forum could be if we try for an intellectual discussion
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:59 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:52 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 am You really are an effing idiot. What the heck does a broad musical note range that’s difficult to sing have to do with what you just posted?

Plenty of songs were used as our anthem before 1931. You must hate our country because you won’t consider going back to any one of those other songs that celebrated our country and it’s people.

You’re stuck in the early 1900’s with your confederate statues. I bet that includes an opinion that some people should have their own water fountains and building entrances.

Speaking of which, the Democratic CHOP zone in Seattle did just that:

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/ ... 79841?s=20

Have you forsaken Robert Byrd yet?
Holy sh*t

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/127 ... 71296?s=21
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:35 am Leftism is a religion of self-loathing. It teaches white people to hate their race....
Peter, we get it. You're just repeating yourself. A lot. Your posts are like spam. We get it...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ChairmanOfTheBoard

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/us/nypd- ... index.html
Hispanic officer who has eight civilian complaint cases on his record. He was exonerated for the allegations made in seven of the cases.
https://youtu.be/vCOSQ7afOtM?t=499
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:30 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:35 am Leftism is a religion of self-loathing. It teaches white people to hate their race....
Peter, we get it. You're just repeating yourself. A lot. Your posts are like spam. We get it...
His posts are like that “other guy” :roll: from Jellystone
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:30 am
… I am a liberal, I am white, I don't loathe myself nor hate my race. Either Pete is wrong in his description (like that would surprise anyone :lol:) or "Leftism" (whatever that is) is not very effective at "teaching white people" … :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:26 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:08 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:00 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:35 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:27 am I’m not a fan of our national anthem, but not for the reasons expressed in this thread. I’ve always thought the celebration of a specific battle, and specifically the referencing of a flag surviving the battle, was a strange basis for a national anthem. And then when you add to those lyrics music that is difficult for even many professionals to sing.....

Can’t figure out why it was adopted in 1931 as our anthem when there are so many singable songs that honor our country, its land and its people and not a battle and a piece of cloth.

Leftism is a religion of self-loathing. It teaches white people to hate their race, boys to hate their sex, women to hate their femininity, Americans to hate their country, westerners to hate their history. It teaches wives to hate their husbands, mothers to hate their children, children to hate their parents.

Turns groups against each other and individuals against themselves. I hate everything about it. It’s poison.

What a contemptible, toxic thing it is.

It's what you support btw.
Your best post.

TBF, it's a quote from Matt Walsh. And it's deadly accurate. What amazes me is supposedly educated people (I assume most lacrosse fans enjoy some level of education?) prove how thoroughly dumb they are, by easily falling prey to a cancerous ideology which at its core is about self-loathing. America has been great since the day it was discovered because we had brains, independence, and freedom.
The translation for Walsh's quote: Don't think. Conform. Government is always right. Independence and freedom is bad. You are who the government tells you you are.

Are you equipped with so little self awareness that you don't understand that you're defending government owned and maintained statues, Pete? You're telling these renegades and underdogs that you've been defending up until now....that they have no voice, no power, and we're going to protect the government song and statues at all costs?

:lol: You're the opposite of who you think you are, Pete. You're defending The Man. Government. Conformance. You just called your group "the normals", FFS. If you had been in a position of leadership in the 1700's, we'd still be a British Colony.

Why can't all these protesters silence their 1st Amendment rights, shut up, and conform, Pete? I just can't figure it out...they must not understand what it is to be an American the way that you do, Pete. ;)

I missed the part of #1A where you ‘exercise speech’ by looting stores, smashing windows, and tearing down statues. Also beating up 60 year old guys in Madison WI. Is that some new definition?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:23 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:06 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 am Peanut Butters is just being a fear merchant trying to whip up white resentment (like the good ole days) and he is being no more successful than his fearless leader. His defense is don't give an inch because "the other" will take it all. This has been the defense for his type forever and it has worked out so well for all concerned. He whines when the left reacts to his behavior.

Jefferson, Washington and Jesus are all safe, even with their imperfections. There are some like Key (who was a well known racist) that will require serious consideration - rightly so. Does the anthem itself sans third verse have to go? That is very far from clear. Of course some will argue it must go, but I am pretty certain a vast majority will argue otherwise. MDlax is 100% correct - public honorifics for traitors and racists (with no saving grace) - time is up. Such discussions are long past due.

So as not to confuse folks like Peanut Butters - I am a son of Virginia and the South. I am not even a little concerned that confederate soldiers, the confederacy itself, its leadership or the cause are going to be written out of history - the common repeated history will just become more factual - fact based. The south has been slowly, daily, rewriting history since the day after Appomattox. They have successfully taken traitors, losers, and turned them into heroes in the eyes of some.
A step in the right direction:

https://apple.news/A-TmyRlTZRFq6rm3dpasDFA
I love the idea of naming public works after the common man/woman of virtue as opposed to f*ing politicians.
I am all on board with a JHU 72 refuse recovery facility. It actually sings IMO... :)
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:44 am I missed the part of #1A where you ‘exercise speech’ by looting stores, smashing windows, and tearing down statues. Also beating up 60 year old guys in Madison WI. Is that some new definition?
Pffff. That's just some made up stuff from those corrupt Federal Prosecutors you're always complaining about, Pete.

Don't you see? They're trying to railroad these protesters the same way they railroaded General Flynn.

Frankly surprised that you fell for this, Pete....
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:47 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 am Peanut Butters is just being a fear merchant trying to whip up white resentment (like the good ole days) and he is being no more successful than his fearless leader. His defense is don't give an inch because "the other" will take it all. This has been the defense for his type forever and it has worked out so well for all concerned. He whines when the left reacts to his behavior.

Jefferson, Washington and Jesus are all safe, even with their imperfections. There are some like Key (who was a well known racist) that will require serious consideration - rightly so. Does the anthem itself sans third verse have to go? That is very far from clear. Of course some will argue it must go, but I am pretty certain a vast majority will argue otherwise. MDlax is 100% correct - public honorifics for traitors and racists (with no saving grace) - time is up. Such discussions are long past due.

So as not to confuse folks like Peanut Butters - I am a son of Virginia and the South. I am not even a little concerned that confederate soldiers, the confederacy itself, its leadership or the cause are going to be written out of history - the common repeated history will just become more factual - fact based. The south has been slowly, daily, rewriting history since the day after Appomattox. They have successfully taken traitors, losers, and turned them into heroes in the eyes of some.

I love the idea of naming public works after the common man/woman of virtue as opposed to f*ing politicians.
I am all on board with a JHU 72 refuse recovery facility. It actually sings IMO... :)
:lol: Just hope it is not placed in your back yard.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:56 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:47 am

:lol: Just hope it is not placed in your back yard.
Not a problem. We have pretty high standards here in the Town of Irondequoit. ;)
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
ChairmanOfTheBoard

so the statues have been coming down because of racism, symbolism, rebellion, etc.

here's an interesting one: lincoln has to come down at UW because his record on race relations is "questionable". https://www.change.org/p/university-of- ... ascom-hill

they must be referring to this:

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union... I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free.

if applied, that of course would toss out most of congress- which i am in favor of.

second concept- it has to go because the man who paid for it was a racist.

which of course would capture every single thing on that campus. not to mention, virtually everywhere else.
kramerica.inc

Re: Racism in America - a “Racial Jungle” of Tension

Post by kramerica.inc »

Families of Aunt Jemima models object to the erasing of the brand/history:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3233423001 ... ssion=true
The family of Lillian Richard, a native of Hawkins, Texas, also spoke out against the rebranding decision.

Richard was the face of Aunt Jemima from 1925 to 1940, a Texas CBS station reported, noting signs into the town say “Home of Lillian Richard ‘Aunt Jemima.'" In 1995, the Texas Legislature passed a resolution declaring Hawkins as the "Pancake Capital of Texas."

“I wish we would take a breath and not just get rid of everything, because good or bad, it is our history,” Vera Harris, family historian for the Richard family, told KLTV. “Removing that wipes away a part of me. A part of each of us. We are proud of our cousin.”
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:35 pm Families of Aunt Jemima models object to the erasing of the brand/history:

The family of Lillian Richard, a native of Hawkins, Texas, also spoke out against the rebranding decision.

Richard was the face of Aunt Jemima from 1925 to 1940, a Texas CBS station reported, noting signs into the town say “Home of Lillian Richard ‘Aunt Jemima.'" In 1995, the Texas Legislature passed a resolution declaring Hawkins as the "Pancake Capital of Texas."

“I wish we would take a breath and not just get rid of everything, because good or bad, it is our history,” Vera Harris, family historian for the Richard family, told KLTV. “Removing that wipes away a part of me. A part of each of us. We are proud of our cousin.”
Nuance - a lost art both here and across America :oops:
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:35 pm Families of Aunt Jemima models object to the erasing of the brand/history:

Child I “ain’t cha mama”
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Child I “ain’t cha mama”
What say you about Vera Harris' perspective?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Child I “ain’t cha mama”
What say you about Vera Harris' perspective?
I can see how her family identity can be wrapped up in the notoriety that that affiliation brought. Unfortunately those images have done more harm for far more people than the good feeling it brings her family. The family can build a monument in her honor in their front yard if they want to.

Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

IMHO, we wouldn't have this problem if we had made small, thoughtful changes over the decades. Instead, we held the cultural pendulum in place....leading to wild swings...

Return to “POLITICS”