The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU88

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by CU88 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:37 pm
CU88 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 pm Forget Wall Street, slow crushing wave of failures is coming.

2nd economic advisor has seen the writing on the wall and left the white house in the last month.

GNC files for bankruptcy, will close as many as 1,200 stores. The chain, founded in 1935, is the sixth major U.S. retailer to file for Chapter 11 protection during the pandemic.

A record 20.5 million jobs were lost in April as unemployment rate jumps to 14.7%

120,000 Americans dead and this number will continue to rise.

New coronavirus cases in the U.S. soar to highest single-day total.

Where is our IMPOTUS on all fronts???
so do you want to shut down businesses or not?
pick a side.
Why is it so hard to see that the economy doesn't come back until the COVID is managed/solved?
Consumer spending/confidence will not happen until the consumer feels that they are safe.

My question is where is the leadership to show that the Fed's are working to help the consumer regain that confidence?

Do you not read the newspaper and see new coronavirus cases in the U.S. soar to highest single-day total???

Where is the response with some sort of Plan and Action to try and slow this down????
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:18 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 pm i mean, i get the mask thing, wear it inside and where required, advise it for my kid.
but we've had the cdc, the who, the surgeon general, our top pandemic guy, and god knows who else all come out at various times to say don't wear them, wear them. or maybe not.
these are supposedly the most qualified scientific people in the world.
isn't there a spot to say What the heck is going on instead of these folks are bad? we expect them to what, believe today's tape on masks? when the world's top experts don't know what's the rule? this whole shebang has been a sh*@ show. top to bottom.
They didn’t want a run on mask but nobody cares. They had their reason.... it is not because they are stupid. I bought some any way because they wear them in Asia and they have more experience. People are people....If it has worked for them, it should work for us.

Congratulations.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:02 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 pm i mean, i get the mask thing, wear it inside and where required, advise it for my kid.
but we've had the cdc, the who, the surgeon general, our top pandemic guy, and god knows who else all come out at various times to say don't wear them, wear them. or maybe not.
isn't there a spot to say What the heck is going on instead of these folks are bad? we expect them to what, believe today's tape on masks? when the world's top experts don't know what's the rule? this whole shebang has been a sh*@ show. top to bottom.
They didn’t want a run on mask but nobody cares. They had their reason.... it is not because they are stupid. I bought some any way because they wear them in Asia and they have more experience. People are people....If it has worked for them, it should work for us.

Congratulations.
Had 'socially distanced' dinner on the patio with our intern, recent grad of Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering, 5 years at Hopkins, grew up in Hong Kong.

Guess what Hong Kong's experience has been?
Now look at a map of where HK and Wuhan are...what would have been predicted?
Extremely dense community.

As we discussed this, she made an interesting statement. When the virus was first beginning to be recognized by the docs in Wuhan in January, and yet the government was saying not to worry, the people of HK, who near universally don't trust the gov't, immediately all put on their masks (which they had experience doing having been through SARS.) They already wore masks quite a bit, for instance if you ever go to a doctor, everyone wears a mask in the waiting room, etc. It's just the social norm. They had a run on masks, but most had sufficient supplies in their home, and cloth masks as well.

Protestors had already been masked, more to keep the government from identifying them. Expect more protests through the summer, as the government is looking to shutdown various holiday celebrations, despite near zero community spread.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:31 am

Congratulations.
Had 'socially distanced' dinner on the patio with our intern, recent grad of Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering, 5 years at Hopkins, grew up in Hong Kong.

As we discussed this, she made an interesting statement. When the virus was first beginning to be recognized by the docs in Wuhan in January, and yet the government was saying not to worry, the people of HK, who near universally don't trust the gov't, immediately all put on their masks (which they had experience doing having been through SARS.) They already wore masks quite a bit, for instance if you ever go to a doctor, everyone wears a mask in the waiting room, etc. It's just the social norm. They had a run on masks, but most had sufficient supplies in their home, and cloth masks as well.

Protestors had already been masked, more to keep the government from identifying them. Expect more protests through the summer, as the government is looking to shutdown various holiday celebrations, despite near zero community spread.

I had beers and pimento cheese dip with a buddy on my lanai yesterday and neither of us was within six feet of each other because dudes have never done that, and interestingly I’ve never felt compelled to virtue signal to anyone that we were ‘socially distanced’. Just a few buddies kicking back with some beers.

Do you guys ever just chill or is everything a cause?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:54 am
CU88 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 pm Forget Wall Street, slow crushing wave of failures is coming.

2nd economic advisor has seen the writing on the wall and left the white house in the last month.

GNC files for bankruptcy, will close as many as 1,200 stores. The chain, founded in 1935, is the sixth major U.S. retailer to file for Chapter 11 protection during the pandemic.

A record 20.5 million jobs were lost in April as unemployment rate jumps to 14.7%

pick a side.
Why is it so hard to see that the economy doesn't come back until the COVID is managed/solved?
Consumer spending/confidence will not happen until the consumer feels that they are safe.

My question is where is the leadership to show that the Fed's are working to help the consumer regain that confidence?

Do you not read the newspaper and see new coronavirus cases in the U.S. soar to highest single-day total???

Where is the response with some sort of Plan and Action to try and slow this down????
by your original post, it sounded like you had a way to win unemployment and the virus.

that gnc, and 6 major retailers don't file ch 11. that unemployment isn't 20 million and 15%.

but of course you know that's not true. right?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

duplicate
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:30 am

Congratulations.

I had beers and pimento cheese dip with a buddy on my lanai yesterday and neither of us was within six feet of each other because dudes have never done that, and interestingly I’ve never felt compelled to virtue signal to anyone that we were ‘socially distanced’. Just a few buddies kicking back with some beers.

Yeah, take some disinfectant with that beer PB, that'll keep you and your loved ones safe.

We had a 24 year old to dinner, and 'chilled' for 3 hours on the patio.

She'd been at Hopkins for 5 years but had never seen a live blue jay...at one point we had 5 buzzing our feeders, red wing black birds, woodpeckers, chickadees, a fly by of a great blue heron, and even a bald eagle, plus a bunch of deer out in the corn field and then the lax field...great evening.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:19 am
CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:54 am

pick a side.

by your original post, it sounded like you had a way to win unemployment and the virus.

that gnc, and 6 major retailers don't file ch 11. that unemployment isn't 20 million and 15%.

but of course you know that's not true. right?
Where is the Leadership to at least try and address this issues??
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the WHO repeated this policy again and again and again, public releases, up until the 8th of june.
june. just several weeks ago.

the world health organization. i know what i think of them thru all this, but they tend to carry some weight and have credentials.

and we direct ire at tom, dick and harry. they should know better.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:58 am
the WHO repeated this policy again and again and again, public releases, up until the 8th of june.
june. just several weeks ago.

the world health organization. i know what i think of them thru all this, but they tend to carry some weight and have credentials.

and we direct ire at tom, dick and harry. they should know better.
Its not just Tom, Dick and Harry.... a good chunk of it is a political statement, unfortunately. Would have loved to see how many more masks people would wear if the administration pushed it. More, less or the same?

“The widespread wearing of masks might lead to a mask shortage for medical workers and create a false sense of security in the public, WHO officials had said.”

Always been about a shortage of supply. We gave 17 tons of our stuff away.....we can live with a certain number of deaths so long as it doesn’t overwhelm the system.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

and create a false sense of security... and have people wear them incorrectly... and have people handle them incorrectly... and have ineffective masks... and maybe exacerbate breathing/health issues.

from the beginning, have we had one organization bang the drum over and over on making your own masks? they're pretty simple, really. instead, they walk back original statements saying what we said before wasn't really true, but believe us now. we weren't putting you in danger before, i promise.

there was no shortage of masks that i'm aware of on june 7. the WHO also said on the 8th that to have a protective mask, you need 3 layers including a 95 like filter in the middle to be effective. i know you're set up... how many folks out there do you think are? 3%? so are bandanas/single cloths helping or hurting? dunno.

in my office building, we've been about 80-90% empty since march. recent signs up in the building for 6 ft, directional stairs, wear masks in common areas. the only ones not wearing them? the medical staff from the neurological office that takes in primarily elderly with walkers and wheelchairs if they can't shuffle in with other assistance.

2020 is a crazy place.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

A run on masks? We had zero stockpiling of PPE's, even though Fauci had decades , and billions of tax dollars, to prepare for a pandemic.

You SURE they are not stupid?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Congratulations.

tough to NOT bogart that joint, my friend.....you can't pass it over to me if you are 6 feet apart. I ALWAYS make sure everyone has their own stuff, to stop germs from being spread.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:30 am
A run on masks? We had zero stockpiling of PPE's, even though Fauci had decades , and billions of tax dollars, to prepare for a pandemic.

You SURE they are not stupid?
I sure some are.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:32 am

Congratulations.

tough to NOT bogart that joint, my friend.....you can't pass it over to me if you are 6 feet apart. I ALWAYS make sure everyone has their own stuff, to stop germs from being spread.
:lol:
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Congratulations.

Did you like this movie?

“I wish you would!”
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

In the 70's we would go to my grandmother's house in Syracuse and hang out on her lanai. My parents and aunts/uncles would joke it was the only lanai in the city. Seems Grandma was obsessed with all-things-Hawaii after she took a trip there so the lanai term stuck . We'd sit out there with her artificial Christmas tree, drinking egg nog and listen to John Denver albums on her record player. It was mostly enclosed in glass so it offered a great setting to watch nature in her back yard or the snow drifting. Grandma would tell us about Grandpa in the war or about the history of anything important in Syracuse while she sipped on her glass of rye. Of course there were always the timeless stories of how Dad got into trouble as a youth. Still bust on him about some of them today! Learned a lot on that lanai. Good memories.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 pm

In the 70's we would go to my grandmother's house in Syracuse and hang out on her lanai. My parents and aunts/uncles would joke it was the only lanai in the city. Seems Grandma was obsessed with all-things-Hawaii after she took a trip there so the lanai term stuck . We'd sit out there with her artificial Christmas tree, drinking egg nog and listen to John Denver albums on her record player. It was mostly enclosed in glass so it offered a great setting to watch nature in her back yard or the snow drifting. Grandma would tell us about Grandpa in the war or about the history of anything important in Syracuse while she sipped on her glass of rye. Of course there were always the timeless stories of how Dad got into trouble as a youth. Still bust on him about some of them today! Learned a lot on that lanai. Good memories.
:D Nigel, where on earth in Syracuse was your Grandma's lanai?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:47 am

Congratulations.

Did you like this movie?

Has Gary old man ever performed better in any role than this? If one doesn’t like True Romance I just don’t know what to say. All. Time. Classic!

(Not to mention young stoner Brad Pitt and Michael Rappaport as roommates or Dennis Hopper telling that horrible joke before he gets sent to another plane by Christopher Walken amongst a million great parts to it-and to think I watched it originally because as a kid I fell in love with Heathers and thought Christian Slater was a criminally underrated star waiting to explode until he picked one trash script after another for a solid 15yrs...)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 pm

I had an Aunt in Pittsburgh who build a Polynesian themed tiki bar in her basement. She called it her lanai. I never knew what the term really meant until I was in high school. She painted a mural on one wall of beach at sunset and always put on a Don Ho album, or two. As kids we always got mocktails with tiny paper umbrellas.

Return to “POLITICS”