Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
HooDat

Re: Racism in America- Week 4 of Unrest

Post by HooDat »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:36 pm
6ftstick wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 pmWell that's a convenient interpretation.

My intention was the exact opposite. If you're going to put thousands of people in the streets for weeks over the death of one black man,You should be able to generate some interest in the violence and slaughter of 100 blacks in Chicago over the weekend.

Instead nothing
What you clearly continue to miss, the one black man, this time, was just enough to make it boil over.

Get used to it...nothing changes until all of us are dead, maybe our grandchildren will get it done.
and the cynic in me whispers.....

"a white cop killing a black man inflames racial tension and distracts from the class disparity that exists, while examples of the daily despair that exists in our cities would have the unfortunate affect of shining a bright light on the elites centuries of indifference toward the poor"
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

HooDat wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:46 pm
6ftstick wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 pmWell that's a convenient interpretation.

My intention was the exact opposite. If you're going to put thousands of people in the streets for weeks over the death of one black man,You should be able to generate some interest in the violence and slaughter of 100 blacks in Chicago over the weekend.

Instead nothing
What you clearly continue to miss, the one black man, this time, was just enough to make it boil over.

Get used to it...nothing changes until all of us are dead, maybe our grandchildren will get it done.

"a white cop killing a black man inflames racial tension and distracts from the class disparity that exists, while examples of the daily despair that exists in our cities would have the unfortunate affect of shining a bright light on the elites centuries of indifference toward the poor"
exactly
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Instead nothing

That too....
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 pm Well that's a convenient interpretation.

Instead nothing
You're yelling at BLM, all while you sit idly by and do nothing about the problem in Chicago. If you genuninely think violence in Chicago is an issue worth fixing----get off your duff and help fix the problem. How do you figure that violence in Chicago is BLM's problem to fix....and not yours? If that violence troubles you? Muck in! Get out there and help!

You're yelling at your fellow citizens demanding that THEY do something about it, while you sit on the sidelines and do nothing.

How does this make any sense in your mind at all, six?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Instead nothing

… two sides of the same coin
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Instead nothing

… two sides of the same coin
BS liberal progressive have run your city for 70 years. Yet you continue to virtue signal how much you care about minorities when the disgusting shape of your city shows the exact opposite.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HooDat wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:34 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:48 am The disparity and treatment of whites vs minorities is the big problem. The guns aren't the ones making this choice. We have been kicking this can down the road for a couple hundred years with it getting better each generation, but we still have people who think this situation is alright. If time isn't really up, I think the minorities have decided it really should be. And they are right.
YEP!

And their rightful desire to protest to call our attention to the issues is being co-opted (or at least attempted to be co-opted) by extremists from both sides - who have destructive goals rather than constructive.

Meanwhile the media throwing gasoline and matches on everything they see.

The vast majority of people who are decent and occupy the middle are bombarded by conflicting images and being told to line up on one side or the other. We need resist the urge to pick the sides being offered by the extremists: (a) tear everything down and rage against everything, because nothing is perfect, or (b) resist all change and fall into tribalism.

It just shouldn't be that hard to:
- fix our schools and our legal system/police force (to provide equal opportunity)
- offer people decent access to medical help (because that is what communities do for one another)
- fix our roads and infrastructure (because the value benefits everyone)
- make sure people clean up their messes (eg: no free rides regarding pollution and consumption of resources for profit)

and then get the heck out of the way.
it shouldn't be that hard?
sweet!
good luck stopping the machines in motion.
pendulums have to swing first.
what got us here was gridlock in our 2 party system. not compromise for the collective. we've been at exasperation for a while, so next is division. division sells short term.
there's at least a half dozen scenarios for what's after that, vegas will be taking odds.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 amThe US military attacking American citizens will never happen. When I was in the army I would have steadfastly refused ANY order to engage American citizens. We all pledged to defend the country against all enemies foreign and domestic. Our fellow Americans are not and never will be the enemy. Law enforcement needs to take care of that problem, if it ever becomes one.
I really 100% hope you're right, but right there in the oath is "defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Who decides who is a domestic enemy? If the ruling class and higher ups in the ranks beat the drums for years and say ______ is an enemy of the people / US / Constitution, they can slowly make people believe it is true. It's happened for centuries in a wide variety of countries and governments. You even see it at Trump rallies with the hate and vitriol from his supporters directed at the media covering those events.

I hope we as Americans are strong enough to do the right thing against these demagogues.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:46 am

I thought Democrats loved putting non-violent criminals in prison?

I cannot speak for Democrats but it sure would be a great idea to put a few Republicans in prison for treason when they lied about WMD, stole tax dollars in order to finance their wars, and for their corporate welfare trickle down theory which further enriched the wealthy at taxpayer expense.

Joe Biden just announced he’s for regime change in Venezuela. What’s his party again? Trump is now to the left of Biden on foreign affairs. Lol.

https://www.rt.com/news/492626-trump-bi ... me-change/
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:07 pm
HooDat wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:34 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:48 am The disparity and treatment of whites vs minorities is the big problem. The guns aren't the ones making this choice. We have been kicking this can down the road for a couple hundred years with it getting better each generation, but we still have people who think this situation is alright. If time isn't really up, I think the minorities have decided it really should be. And they are right.
YEP!

And their rightful desire to protest to call our attention to the issues is being co-opted (or at least attempted to be co-opted) by extremists from both sides - who have destructive goals rather than constructive.

Meanwhile the media throwing gasoline and matches on everything they see.

The vast majority of people who are decent and occupy the middle are bombarded by conflicting images and being told to line up on one side or the other. We need resist the urge to pick the sides being offered by the extremists: (a) tear everything down and rage against everything, because nothing is perfect, or (b) resist all change and fall into tribalism.

It just shouldn't be that hard to:
- fix our schools and our legal system/police force (to provide equal opportunity)
- offer people decent access to medical help (because that is what communities do for one another)
- fix our roads and infrastructure (because the value benefits everyone)
- make sure people clean up their messes (eg: no free rides regarding pollution and consumption of resources for profit)

and then get the heck out of the way.
it shouldn't be that hard?
sweet!
good luck stopping the machines in motion.
pendulums have to swing first.
what got us here was gridlock in our 2 party system. not compromise for the collective. we've been at exasperation for a while, so next is division. division sells short term.
there's at least a half dozen scenarios for what's after that, vegas will be taking odds.
emphasis on SHOULDN'T!

but it would help if they were actually trying - which we know they are not. - and by they, I mean ALL of them Rep and Dem.

Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:52 pm An interesting twist.
I learned something new today. Thanks.

https://www.brown.edu/Facilities/John_C ... avery.html
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:18 pm

They'll soon be after Hopkins for all the testing they did on blacks.

Then #CancelYale, for the founder being a slave owner.

Dartmouth Founder owned at least 19 slaves...Peter Carini has discovered that Wheelock owned at least nineteen enslaved persons during his lifetime. Their labors supported the well-being of President Wheelock’s family and his students and contributed to the maintenance of his home and the school’s buildings.

Can't leave out Princeton...That a slave sale took place on campus and that the first nine Princeton presidents were slaveholders at some point in their lives are two of the major findings from a sweeping new endeavor by Princeton scholars and students to explore the ties of early University trustees, presidents, faculty and students to the institution of slavery.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:27 pm Then #CancelYale, for the founder being a slave owner.
the accusations I have seen are that Yale was a slave TRADER. His wealth was at least somewhat earned as a result of buying humans, shipping them across the Atlantic in barbaric conditions and then selling them as property....

Can't even try to squeeze in a "gentle master" fantasy into that story.... :oops:

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:27 pm

Dartmouth Founder owned at least 19 slaves...Peter Carini has discovered that Wheelock owned at least nineteen enslaved persons during his lifetime. Their labors supported the well-being of President Wheelock’s family and his students and contributed to the maintenance of his home and the school’s buildings.

Can't leave out Princeton...That a slave sale took place on campus and that the first nine Princeton presidents were slaveholders at some point in their lives are two of the major findings from a sweeping new endeavor by Princeton scholars and students to explore the ties of early University trustees, presidents, faculty and students to the institution of slavery.

:roll:
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:31 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:27 pm Then #CancelYale, for the founder being a slave owner.
the accusations I have seen are that Yale was a slave TRADER. His wealth was at least somewhat earned as a result of buying humans, shipping them across the Atlantic in barbaric conditions and then selling them as property....

Can't even try to squeeze in a "gentle master" fantasy into that story.... :oops:
Benevolent master
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:15 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 amThe US military attacking American citizens will never happen. When I was in the army I would have steadfastly refused ANY order to engage American citizens. We all pledged to defend the country against all enemies foreign and domestic. Our fellow Americans are not and never will be the enemy. Law enforcement needs to take care of that problem, if it ever becomes one.
I really 100% hope you're right, but right there in the oath is "defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Who decides who is a domestic enemy? If the ruling class and higher ups in the ranks beat the drums for years and say ______ is an enemy of the people / US / Constitution, they can slowly make people believe it is true. It's happened for centuries in a wide variety of countries and governments. You even see it at Trump rallies with the hate and vitriol from his supporters directed at the media covering those events.

I hope we as Americans are strong enough to do the right thing against these demagogues.
Any order to ever draw down on any American citizen is IMO an unlawful order. Way back when I was a young GI that was a big thing. The genesis was Lt William Calleys actions at Mai Lai. Any GI has the right and obligation to disobey any unlawful order. Any officer issuing an order to engage an American citizen would have to explain to the soldier that his or her order was lawful. That soldier has the right and obligation to contest such an order up the chain of command. Any one paying attention understands that is exactly why the US military brass gave Trump such huge static about engaging US forces in the recent riots. That us not their job. That us not what they are trained to do. Leave our active duty forces the gell out of it. Thanks for clarifying the military oath for me. I took liberties with it I should not have.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Why do they get a pass?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 pm
holmes435 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:15 pm

Any order to ever draw down on any American citizen is IMO an unlawful order. Way back when I was a young GI that was a big thing. The genesis was Lt William Calleys actions at Mai Lai. Any GI has the right and obligation to disobey any unlawful order. Any officer issuing an order to engage an American citizen would have to explain to the soldier that his or her order was lawful. That soldier has the right and obligation to contest such an order up the chain of command. Any one paying attention understands that is exactly why the US military brass gave Trump such huge static about engaging US forces in the recent riots. That us not their job. That us not what they are trained to do. Leave our active duty forces the gell out of it. Thanks for clarifying the military oath for me. I took liberties with it I should not have.
Good for you, Cradle. Thx for your service.
BTW its My Lai for the record. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:43 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Why do they get a pass?
Who said they get a pass? Maybe they deserve it maybe they don’t. Maybe they have atoned foe their sins. ;)

In the case of Princeton, you may have it confused with the College of New Jersey. ;)
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”