How many schools will drop lacrosse?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JBFortunato

Re: How many schools will drop lacrosse?

Post by JBFortunato »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:43 am
JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 am Follow @AlexBerenson on Twitter for real data and facts.
Please do not follow this hack. This guy has been consistently—almost unfathomably—wrong every step of the way, for months, on everything. The degree to which he has committed to his wrongness is pretty astounding. I would not trust his thoughts on sandwiches, let alone a pandemic. He is neither an epidemiologist nor a virologist. He is not a scientist of any kind whatsoever. He used to write thriller novels and now he peddles alternative facts on Twitter for the attention because he flamed out as a writer and a journalist in spectacular fashion. He was widely derided by the scientific community for publishing a nonsense book last year about how smoking weed makes people go psychotic. His incessant tweets about how the virus isn't actually that bad are worse than irrelevant, they are actively dangerous, and only serve to make things worse—and make it harder to get back to things like lacrosse safely.

https://twitter.com/BadCOVID19Takes/sta ... 7940301824

Now, that doesn't mean colleges can't or shouldn't open in some capacity this fall. Many likely will, especially those in states that genuinely (not fleetingly) flatten the curve and implement science-based protocols to keep the curve flattened until a vaccine can be developed.

We won't know the true economic impact of this thing until next year at the earliest, but more likely not until several years from now. I expect there will be more D1 lacrosse programs cut once the dust has settled. There were a few that were hanging on by a thread even BEFORE the pandemic.
The "expert" epis and virologists with the impressive pedigrees are the folks who have been unfathomably wrong from the beginning about the nature and impact of COVID, have changed their "models" and advice almost daily, and at this point many have lost all credibility. They have created a fear around this situation that is unwarranted, with the eager assistance of the media, and the lockdown that they insisted on has been incredibly destructive.

I hope that college admins have the courage to look beyond the hysteria and make the right call.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 am
JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 am Follow @AlexBerenson on Twitter for real data and facts.
Please do not follow this hack. This guy has been consistently—almost unfathomably—wrong every step of the way, for months, on everything. The degree to which he has committed to his wrongness is pretty astounding. I would not trust his thoughts on sandwiches, let alone a pandemic. He is neither an epidemiologist nor a virologist. He is not a scientist of any kind whatsoever. He used to write thriller novels and now he peddles alternative facts on Twitter for the attention because he flamed out as a writer and a journalist in spectacular fashion. He was widely derided by the scientific community for publishing a nonsense book last year about how smoking weed makes people go psychotic. His incessant tweets about how the virus isn't actually that bad are worse than irrelevant, they are actively dangerous, and only serve to make things worse—and make it harder to get back to things like lacrosse safely.

Now, that doesn't mean colleges can't or shouldn't open in some capacity this fall. Many likely will, especially those in states that genuinely (not fleetingly) flatten the curve and implement science-based protocols to keep the curve flattened until a vaccine can be developed.

We won't know the true economic impact of this thing until next year at the earliest, but more likely not until several years from now. I expect there will be more D1 lacrosse programs cut once the dust has settled. There were a few that were hanging on by a thread even BEFORE the pandemic.
The "expert" epis and virologists with the impressive pedigrees are the folks who have been unfathomably wrong from the beginning about the nature and impact of COVID, have changed their "models" and advice almost daily, and at this point many have lost all credibility. They have created a fear around this situation that is unwarranted, with the eager assistance of the media, and the lockdown that they insisted on has been incredibly destructive.

I hope that college admins have the courage to look beyond the hysteria and make the right call.
I am hoping to win MegaMillions this week :D
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:08 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 am

I am hoping to win MegaMillions this week :D
SAMEEEEEE ^^^ :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

D3 school, not the greatest academically and from what I’ve learned over the years including a couple of playoffs games in FB vs Hobart this decade is mostly a commuter school with limited franchise value or endowment but thought in the spirit of this thread worth posting.

Wesley College in Del is de facto failing and may soon be absorbed by Delaware State

https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/news/ ... re-wesley/
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Have never heard of Alex Berensen but I do agree that at this point the COVID hysteria seems to be politically motivated. Regardless of your political leaning, the hatred for Trump from every media outlet, save Fox, is palpable. The obvious rational is that a weak/shutdown economy will doom Trump's chances in November. Positive test results means little/nothing if the individual does not have symptoms or require medical care. The media loves to keep the narrative going...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Have never heard of Alex Berensen but I do agree that at this point the COVID hysteria seems to be politically motivated. Regardless of your political leaning, the hatred for Trump from every media outlet, save Fox, is palpable. The obvious rational is that a weak/shutdown economy will doom Trump's chances in November. Positive test results means little/nothing if the individual does not have symptoms or require medical care. The media loves to keep the narrative going...
Yeah ... I’m sure the nearly 120,000 Americans who have died from Covid-19 in the last several months were politically motivated to embarrass Trump.

I know we’re supposed to keep politics out of this forum, but how about cultish idiocy?

Back to lacrosse ....

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

You have to respect that the political narrative could be so powerful that deaths occur world-wide. That's some impressive media and or Soros control going on.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

How to conflate the issue Doc...TDS
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:26 pm (stuff omitted)

Positive test results means little/nothing if the individual does not have symptoms or require medical care. The media loves to keep the narrative going...
Actually that is flat out wrong. Anyone with a positive test result of active virus needs to be QUARANTINED. Otherwise they become virus spreaders, and the situation never has a chance to improve.

Now if isolated for period of infection plus two weeks following to allow certainty the infection is over - they are quite able to participate in society - and in fact are likely immune to further infection, so do not need to be as careful. But they still should practice SD if only to encourage the rest of us to keep it up.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:49 am
FMUBart wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:26 pm (stuff omitted)

Positive test results means little/nothing if the individual does not have symptoms or require medical care. The media loves to keep the narrative going...
Actually that is flat out wrong. Anyone with a positive test result of active virus needs to be QUARANTINED. Otherwise they become virus spreaders, and the situation never has a chance to improve.

Now if isolated for period of infection plus two weeks following to allow certainty the infection is over - they are quite able to participate in society - and in fact are likely immune to further infection, so do not need to be as careful. But they still should practice SD if only to encourage the rest of us to keep it up.
This is completely wrong medically, not in the slightest bit consistent with medical guidelines and why a lacrosse website is not an appropriate format to be discussing technical aspects of a medical disease.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Is there another place on this site or on the internet to argue about the flu?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Surfs_Up wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 am Is there another place on this site or on the internet to argue about the flu?
The flu? Covid-19 is very much relevant to lacrosse given the cancellations as a result thereof.
My son's school just announced they will be starting classes 6 days earlier than scheduled, no fall break and
classes end before Txgiving. Finals will be done remotely.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I think most colleges are waiting for some protective legislation from states. By that I mean statutes that shelter them from lawsuits should Covid19 spread within their campus and cause remote learning again which was a joke, or worse cause a death within the student population. It’s all about $$$.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

bauer4429 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 am I think most colleges are waiting for some protective legislation from states. By that I mean statutes that shelter them from lawsuits should Covid19 spread within their campus and cause remote learning again which was a joke, or worse cause a death within the student population. It’s all about $$$.
+1
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Not a D1 school and not a casualty of the 'rona, but Young Harris is suspending their program for 2021. Head coach resigned not even a year in, low roster numbers, and a lot of behind the scenes activity. https://yhcathletics.com/news/2020/6/17 ... eason.aspx
118:24 #HHH
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

cuseman4133 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:00 pm Not a D1 school and not a casualty of the 'rona, but Young Harris is suspending their program for 2021. Head coach resigned not even a year in, low roster numbers, and a lot of behind the scenes activity. https://yhcathletics.com/news/2020/6/17 ... eason.aspx
Statement from the school president (I can't say I had ever hear of Young Harris before). Yikes!

YOUNG HARRIS, Ga. | The following is a statement from Young Harris College President Drew Van Horn, Ph.D., concerning the men's lacrosse program:
Athletic teams can be complex, especially when a new leader is brought in to coach a team that he or she did not recruit. After a competitive and rigorous search process, Young Harris College selected Jay Goldsmith to change the existing culture of our Men's Lacrosse program. When a new coach enters an existing culture that he or she has been tasked to change, the choice for the student-athlete is not complicated: either the student-athlete will play under the new culture or will not.

Unfortunately, in the case of our Men's Lacrosse program, it has become obvious to me that the old culture is unwilling to adapt to the new coach and his system. After careful thought and observation, Director of Athletics Jennifer Rushton and I decided that it was not fair to ask Coach Goldsmith to expend his emotional, mental and physical energy with a group of student-athletes that has communicated and exemplified its unwillingness to adapt. Therefore, effective immediately, I am canceling the remainder of the Men's Lacrosse season.

Young Harris College takes all accusations of abuse and harassment seriously. There is a formal process for filing a complaint, and our Title IX team reviews the complaint. As of today, we have not received any formal complaints from any individual associated with the Men's Lacrosse Team. An initial investigation into a list of concerns has occurred and has not verified any acts of negligence, abuse, or mistreatment. If any formal complaints are filed, the College will follow its policy of incident investigation by Title IX standards.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Seriously questioning fall 2020 after Bowdoin’s move to cancel fall athletics. I know it’s D3 but these moves tend to spread.
smoova

Post by smoova »

bauer4429 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:48 am Seriously questioning fall 2020 after Bowdoin’s move to cancel fall athletics. I know it’s D3 but these moves tend to spread.
I agree - IIRC Amherst (March 10) and then the entire NESCAC (March 11) were the first to cancel spring sports. They were followed quickly by the Ivy League. That said, Bowdoin is quite a ways from major medical resources, so there is a chance that schools near major metro areas/medical facilities may be more tolerant of the risk of an outbreak.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

every day it looks more like fall sports are toast.

the only caveat is MONEY.

TV wants their money.

The big conferences want their money

The NCAA wants its money

The coaches want their money

never bet against rich dudes who want their money..... :?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The Patriot League (FCS football and other sports) announces:

- Athletes will return to campus the same time as other students.
- Conf play will start in late Sept. and end before Thanksgiving
- No non-conf events before Sept. 4.
- No flying and rarely stay overnight.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”