Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Racism in America- Week 4 of Unrest

Post by Farfromgeneva »

tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:28 pm a fan, how bout: BLMWKBYPAIPA?

Black Lives Matter When Killed By Police And It's Politically Advantageous
Anyone ever heard of “Boyz in the Hood”? Came out around 30yrs ago and covers both police behavior and black on black violence.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
tech37

Post by tech37 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:14 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:47 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:13 pm The only demand I have from the BLM comes out of a very simple reality IMO. If black lives matter and words are suppose to mean things then all black lives should matter. They should matter as much as the cop choking a man to death on a street corner to a young black man gunned down on a street corner because of a disagreement on whose street corner it is. If I am missing something here then I am all ears.
You're missing the actual mission statement of the organization, and instead project what it is YOU think they should be doing.

There are plenty of organizations that work on local violence in cities all across America. A ton that deal specifically with drug and gang related violence.
From their website, it seems it 'started' as a movement for equality against the state (in red), then furthered to include the entire community (in blue) aspect. I believe this is where the discussion splits hairs.

In the years since, we’ve committed to struggling together and to imagining and creating a world free of anti-Blackness, where every Black person has the social, economic, and political power to thrive.

Black Lives Matter began as a call to action in response to state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism. Our intention from the very beginning was to connect Black people from all over the world who have a shared desire for justice to act together in their communities. The impetus for that commitment was, and still is, the rampant and deliberate violence inflicted on us by the state.

This Milwaukee cop does explains the concern....from 2014.

Great post YA. The words of the police chief says it all. When he tells them why he was on his phone it shut every body in the room the hell up. The officers words speak of the frustration he lives with everyday.
Bravo Youth... here we are in 2020 and I have to wonder how this great policeman is holding up?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:13 pm The only demand I have from the BLM comes out of a very simple reality IMO. If black lives matter and words are suppose to mean things then all black lives should matter. They should matter as much as the cop choking a man to death on a street corner to a young black man gunned down on a street corner because of a disagreement on whose street corner it is. If I am missing something here then I am all ears.
You're missing the actual mission statement of the organization, and instead project what it is YOU think they should be doing.

There are plenty of organizations that work on local violence in cities all across America. A ton that deal specifically with drug and gang related violence.
From their website, it seems it 'started' as a movement for equality against the state (in red), then furthered to include the entire community (in blue) aspect. I believe this is where the discussion splits hairs.

In the years since, we’ve committed to struggling together and to imagining and creating a world free of anti-Blackness, where every Black person has the social, economic, and political power to thrive.

Black Lives Matter began as a call to action in response to state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism. Our intention from the very beginning was to connect Black people from all over the world who have a shared desire for justice to act together in their communities. The impetus for that commitment was, and still is, the rampant and deliberate violence inflicted on us by the state.

You should ask him why he brought up race...... He could have just as easily said poor people in Milwaukee......

https://www.governing.com/topics/health ... verty.html
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Maybe I am missing what you consider to be their true mission statement. What I am saying is the BLM movement has something going for it than no other organization has. They have the ears of many Americans that are willing to listen to their message. You have to understand they have the power to make a difference in the black community. You think any government program has that type of respect your kidding yourself. With great power comes great responsibility. That is if you choose to use that power for a greater good. BLM can do that right now, if they choose to do so.
They already have, cradle.

Colorado State Governor just signed legislation last week governing policing standards in our State. Actual change.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:33 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:28 pm a fan, how bout: BLMWKBYPAIPA?

Black Lives Matter When Killed By Police And It's Politically Advantageous
Anyone ever heard of “Boyz in the Hood”? Came out around 30yrs ago and covers both police behavior and black on black violence.
Made NWA famous in 1988

Tupac wrote this song about life as well growing up in bad areas..

Tupac
"And they say it's the white man I should fear
But it's my own kind doin' all the killin' here
I can't lie, ain't no love for the other side
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:21 pm

You should ask him why he brought up race...... He could have just as easily said poor people in Milwaukee......

Because he cares....unlike your signature suggests.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Because he cares....unlike your signature suggests.
You asked him?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:35 pm

Great post YA. The words of the police chief says it all. When he tells them why he was on his phone it shut every body in the room the hell up. The officers words speak of the frustration he lives with everyday.
Bravo Youth... here we are in 2020 and I have to wonder how this great policeman is holding up?
Fellas, do you REALLY not understand what you're doing here?

You're telling me that we can't work on keeping the police from murdering the very citizens they're supposed to protect "until" we fix the gang and/or drug wars? You honestly don't see how dumb this is?

How come you guys....or this police chief.....didn't pull this nonsense when we had school shootings? "We can't try and minimize school shootings until we get the drug and gang related murder rate down in Chicago!! We just can't do it! How fast would that policeman get fired if he said that?

One (drug wars) has nothing to do with the other (police killing black citizens for no reason). This is not complicated.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Maybe I am missing what you consider to be their true mission statement. What I am saying is the BLM movement has something going for it than no other organization has. They have the ears of many Americans that are willing to listen to their message. You have to understand they have the power to make a difference in the black community. You think any government program has that type of respect your kidding yourself. With great power comes great responsibility. That is if you choose to use that power for a greater good. BLM can do that right now, if they choose to do so.
They already have, cradle.

Colorado State Governor just signed legislation last week governing policing standards in our State. Actual change.
thanks afan- got details, even at a high level? want to see what they changed, and if others follow. hoping it's more than lip service or symbolic...
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:48 pm

You're telling me that we can't work on keeping the police from murdering the very citizens they're supposed to protect "until" we fix the gang and/or drug wars? You honestly don't see how dumb this is?

How come you guys....or this police chief.....didn't pull this nonsense when we had school shootings? "We can't try and minimize school shootings until we get the drug and gang related murder rate down in Chicago!! We just can't do it! How fast would that policeman get fired if he said that?

One (drug wars) has nothing to do with the other (police killing black citizens for no reason). This is not complicated.
Complete imbecility. Ironically, people snapped to attention when the opioid epidemic hit and it wasn’t an inner city crack problem that just impacted the morally and spiritually compromised. Let folks start getting choked out in a Chevy Chase, Alexandria, Bala Cynwd, Sudbury or Southport and see how things change. It won’t be, have your kids stop doing coke before you ask the police to stop abusing them.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Complete imbecility. Ironically, people snapped to attention when the opioid epidemic hit and it wasn’t an inner city crack problem that just impacted the morally and spiritually compromised. Let folks start getting choked out in a Chevy Chase, Alexandria, Bala Cynwd, Sudbury or Southport and see how things change. It won’t be, have your kids stop doing coke before you ask the police to stop abusing them.
+1
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AFAN - We are not saying that all, at least I am not. The original point was if #BLM means what they say, then why do they avoid the subject of Black on Black killings. That is all...nothing further.

TLD - I was choked and thrown on the hood of my car by a black police officer when I was in my late late teens. Had a brand new car (that I paid for after working since I was 12), that was tricked out and I suppose I was in the wrong place at the wrong time....he never issued me a ticket. It was in an affluent PG County area (where I did not live). I filed a report, found out he had numerous complaints on him for physical abuse. Later on he would follow me in his private car. I notified the police again. Shortly thereafter, he was arrested for drug trafficking and went to jail. All cops are not bad....just some of them.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm

AFAN - We are not saying that all, at least I am not. The original point was if #BLM means what they say, then why do they avoid the subject of Black on Black killings. That is all...nothing further.

TLD - I was choked and thrown on the hood of my car by a black police officer when I was in my late late teens. Had a brand new car (that I paid for after working since I was 12), that was tricked out and I suppose I was in the wrong place at the wrong time....he never issued me a ticket. It was in an affluent PG County area (where I did not live). I filed a report, found out he had numerous complaints on him for physical abuse. Later on he would follow me in his private car. I notified the police again. Shortly thereafter, he was arrested for drug trafficking and went to jail. All cops are not bad....just some of them.
Sounds like just another bad cop to me. You should favor reform.
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:18 pm

+1
+2
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Sounds like just another bad cop to me. You should favor reform.
I do. And when I have asked you specifically what that looks like, your reply was.....”you are a Christian, figure it out”. Earlier you said you are working locally on it.....whatcha doing?
~Livy

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am
tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:43 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 am
tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:16 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:05 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:30 pm 'Black Lives Matter' mural covered up because Florissant (MO) doesn't allow painting on the street, PD says
https://www.kmov.com/news/black-lives-m ... d7bfb.html

They don’t seem sensitive to the issue. Hard to believe.
I agree a little empathy goes a long way. But do the police have to be sensitive? Especially when the BLM movement has them in the crosshairs and wants to "defund the police." Empathy for eachother is a great thing. But Americans are free to care/protest (or not care/protest) about whatever they want. Just because BLM has the support of many people, myself included, doesn't mean it has the support of all and can do whatever it wants.
I would be a huge supporter of the BLM movement if they had some more consistency in their message. Last week in Rochester NY there were 3 black men shot dead in random shootings. This morning on our local news one of the local ministers pointed this fact out. I can only paraphrase his message but IMO it was profound. Black people can't just focus on what the police do and simply ignore the fact that disturbing numbers of young black men are killing other black men. He said it better than anyone... ALL BLACK LIVES SHOULD MATTER.
Spot on C&S. I couldn't agree more with you and the good minister.

Also agree re cast iron skillets :D

Sorry to be the pest at the party, but you should be aware of BLM's full manifesto before supporting what you think is their agenda. It is quite a bit different than simply saying you believe there should be no racism; the manifesto is mostly a polemic against capitalism in favor of communism.
Thanks PB, not at all. "Huge supporter" isn't accurate in my case. I was referring primarily to BLM's stance regarding police brutality, and at same time, hypocritical silence regarding black-on-black crime. If they truly cared re all instances of brutality against blacks/minorities....
That's not in their mission statement...and I have NO CLUE why that is so difficult to understand.

I'm struggling to understand why people keep pulling this absolutely absurd demand of one single solitary Non-Government-Organization. No other group gets this silly treatment.

Is the American Cancer Society loaded with hypocrites because they haven't lifted a finger to fix heart disease? Why not? Don't all hearts matter? :roll:

Old Salt works with a charity that helps dogs. What a hypocrite. He doesn't help endangered African elephants? Why not? Don't all animals matter? :roll:

I've been working with the local Children's Hospital. Boy, am I a hypocrite. Why don't I help ALL Hospitals? Why not? Don't all hospitals matter? :roll:

Just stop with this silly complaint. If you're worried about black on black crime? Great. Start your own organization to tackle it. Until then, evaluate BLM on its own stated goals, just like every other NGO/Charity. And yep, they're political....they have to be. Because otherwise, how do you propose they fix the problem of State sanctioned violence against the black community? They just helped pass a bill in Colorado last week. Peacefully, and lawfully. And the police supported the bill.

The bill, which is co-sponsored by every Democrat in the legislature, has gotten a surprising amount of support from police chiefs, prosecutors and sheriffs. One Fraternal Order of Police representative testified his organization is supporting the bill because “a culture change is needed.”

“This isn’t just about following policy, it’s about doing right,” said Sgt. Rob Pride, who also works at the Loveland Police Department, but is speaking on behalf of the Fraternal Order. “The community is up in arms and we get that and they have the right to be.”

https://www.cpr.org/2020/06/12/here-is- ... form-bill/

Local Fanlax poster shocked that BLM doesn’t explicitly note its Marxist ideology in its platform statement.

Luckily for those not sold on local man’s fevered desire to not admit a cigar is a cigar, BLM founder admits they’re nothing but trained Marxists!

https://disrn.com/news/video-surfaces-o ... d-marxists

We actually do have an ideological frame. Myself and Alicia in particular, we're trained organizers. We are trained Marxists. We are super versed on ideological theories."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DISRN media bias fact check.

Right, I'll buy any thing these guys report. :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:12 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:42 pm Good reading.
https://www.epi.org/publication/the-col ... d-america/
Not sure I call it "good", but it is important.

I will never forget when I bought my first house. The deed (which originated in the early 1900's) contained a provision that said that the title was only transferable to a white person. Obviously the clause was not enforceable, but the fact that the language was even there was eye-opening.
Good if you want to be informed.
fair :lol:
the comment was meant as a light-hearted way of acknowledging that, as reflected in the article. there is a lot of not so "good" in our history.
I knew what you meant. Did you ever watch the full frontline documentary on Dayton, Ohio? You may be either to sad or angry after watching it. We have a system that just isn’t sustainable. More and more people have less and less economic upward mobility. It’s ruling, gentry and peasants classes and t more and more wealth flows to ruling and gentry classes. I remember when families routinely went from government support, to working class and into the lower middle class. That’s a pipe dream for most people. Unfortunately you have to prepare your kids for college and hope it works out which may also be a pipe dream for many.
the evolution to globalism has had consequences. don't think they've necessarily been unforeseen. our political/lobbyist/corporate triumvirate is a cabal that won't be broken up until the people believe it needs to be, or should be. and even then, it won't be easy.

somehow or other, there's got to be a better way. and until it's dug into, the fruits of business will not be going to the workers. all for free enterprise, but corporations shouldn't be getting the free ride on the taxpayer's dime with the aid of byzantine accounting and legal teams, and of course your friendly neighborhood politician.
once or whenever the cabal gets broken, get smart people to figure it out. buy them out from apple or nike.
https://hbr.org/2012/07/a-better-way-to ... businesses
some ideas in the above might be good, maybe only if in conjunction with others. keep playing whack-o-mole until the outs are no longer there. but effective ideas are out there. now that we are in this discussion of equity, this is a result that can happen. advocating for overseas slave labor so your company can make a few more bucks, not pay taxes, in the interest of "the free market" rings pretty hollow. small businesses will be in shorter supply for a bit, maybe more than a bit. if our government isn't called upon to have private enterprise move this needle now, we'll be looking at just a larger ponzi scheme in pretty short order.

Return to “POLITICS”