Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Racism in America- Week 4 of Unrest

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

*** One reason I can think of is that, at its core, this is not about race. It is about class. It is about the cost of labor and division of profit and the ability of the capital class to lever not just politics but technology to shift ever more of the value of production to themselves at the expense of the working class.

"They" (members of the capital class) get it. Why do you think folks like Yang want guaranteed income? Because they realize you can't boil the frog too fast or it will jump out of the pot.....

*** this was in response to the "Why bring up race?" question, and "why not?" response.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:42 pm Good reading.

https://www.epi.org/publication/the-col ... d-america/
Not sure I call it "good", but it is important.

I will never forget when I bought my first house. The deed (which originated in the early 1900's) contained a provision that said that the title was only transferable to a white person. Obviously the clause was not enforceable, but the fact that the language was even there was eye-opening.

Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:42 pm *** One reason I can think of is that, at its core, this is not about race. It is about class. It is about the cost of labor and division of profit and the ability of the capital class to lever not just politics but technology to shift ever more of the value of production to themselves at the expense of the working class.

"They" (members of the capital class) get it. Why do you think folks like Yang want guaranteed income? Because they realize you can't boil the frog too fast or it will jump out of the pot.....

*** this was in response to the "Why bring up race?" question, and "why not?" response.
"think" is a subjective qualifier. I believe we have a system of haves and have nots. Doesn't mean there are't any other issues, particularly as the subject was posted in a "racism in America" chat. You are referencing the cause, I was pointing out one aspect of the end result.......
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm

I will never forget when I bought my first house. The deed (which originated in the early 1900's) contained a provision that said that the title was only transferable to a white person. Obviously the clause was not enforceable, but the fact that the language was even there was eye-opening.
Good if you want to be informed.
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm

fair :lol:

the comment was meant as a light-hearted way of acknowledging that, as reflected in the article. there is a lot of not so "good" in our history.

Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm

fair :lol:

the comment was meant as a light-hearted way of acknowledging that, as reflected in the article. there is a lot of not so "good" in our history.
I knew what you meant. Did you ever watch the full frontline documentary on Dayton, Ohio? You may be either to sad or angry after watching it. We have a system that just isn’t sustainable. More and more people have less and less economic upward mobility. It’s ruling, gentry and peasants classes and t more and more wealth flows to ruling and gentry classes. I remember when families routinely went from government support, to working class and into the lower middle class. That’s a pipe dream for most people. Unfortunately you have to prepare your kids for college and hope it works out which may also be a pipe dream for many.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am
tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:43 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 am
tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:16 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:05 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:30 pm 'Black Lives Matter' mural covered up because Florissant (MO) doesn't allow painting on the street, PD says
https://www.kmov.com/news/black-lives-m ... d7bfb.html

They don’t seem sensitive to the issue. Hard to believe.
I agree a little empathy goes a long way. But do the police have to be sensitive? Especially when the BLM movement has them in the crosshairs and wants to "defund the police." Empathy for eachother is a great thing. But Americans are free to care/protest (or not care/protest) about whatever they want. Just because BLM has the support of many people, myself included, doesn't mean it has the support of all and can do whatever it wants.
I would be a huge supporter of the BLM movement if they had some more consistency in their message. Last week in Rochester NY there were 3 black men shot dead in random shootings. This morning on our local news one of the local ministers pointed this fact out. I can only paraphrase his message but IMO it was profound. Black people can't just focus on what the police do and simply ignore the fact that disturbing numbers of young black men are killing other black men. He said it better than anyone... ALL BLACK LIVES SHOULD MATTER.
Spot on C&S. I couldn't agree more with you and the good minister.

Also agree re cast iron skillets :D

Sorry to be the pest at the party, but you should be aware of BLM's full manifesto before supporting what you think is their agenda. It is quite a bit different than simply saying you believe there should be no racism; the manifesto is mostly a polemic against capitalism in favor of communism.
Thanks PB, not at all. "Huge supporter" isn't accurate in my case. I was referring primarily to BLM's stance regarding police brutality, and at same time, hypocritical silence regarding black-on-black crime. If they truly cared re all instances of brutality against blacks/minorities....
That's not in their mission statement...and I have NO CLUE why that is so difficult to understand.

I'm struggling to understand why people keep pulling this absolutely absurd demand of one single solitary Non-Government-Organization. No other group gets this silly treatment.

Is the American Cancer Society loaded with hypocrites because they haven't lifted a finger to fix heart disease? Why not? Don't all hearts matter? :roll:

Old Salt works with a charity that helps dogs. What a hypocrite. He doesn't help endangered African elephants? Why not? Don't all animals matter? :roll:

I've been working with the local Children's Hospital. Boy, am I a hypocrite. Why don't I help ALL Hospitals? Why not? Don't all hospitals matter? :roll:

Just stop with this silly complaint. If you're worried about black on black crime? Great. Start your own organization to tackle it. Until then, evaluate BLM on its own stated goals, just like every other NGO/Charity. And yep, they're political....they have to be. Because otherwise, how do you propose they fix the problem of State sanctioned violence against the black community? They just helped pass a bill in Colorado last week. Peacefully, and lawfully. And the police supported the bill.

The bill, which is co-sponsored by every Democrat in the legislature, has gotten a surprising amount of support from police chiefs, prosecutors and sheriffs. One Fraternal Order of Police representative testified his organization is supporting the bill because “a culture change is needed.”

“This isn’t just about following policy, it’s about doing right,” said Sgt. Rob Pride, who also works at the Loveland Police Department, but is speaking on behalf of the Fraternal Order. “The community is up in arms and we get that and they have the right to be.”

https://www.cpr.org/2020/06/12/here-is- ... form-bill/

"I'm struggling to understand why people keep pulling this absolutely absurd demand of one single solitary Non-Government-Organization. No other group gets this silly treatment."

The only demand I have from the BLM comes out of a very simple reality IMO. If black lives matter and words are suppose to mean things then all black lives should matter. They should matter as much as the cop choking a man to death on a street corner to a young black man gunned down on a street corner because of a disagreement on whose street corner it is. If I am missing something here then I am all ears. Maybe words should not be interpreted in the context that they are being spoken? :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Btw, I know a family with a home in Boston that had a couple of years on the mortgage left. The house burned down and coverage only extended to the mortgage balance. All the equity was wiped out. It’s not that the guy didn’t know any better.....It was the only policy available in that area. It’s was just a way of life. Guy has no bitterness. Sort of shrugged his shoulders and took it.

MAGA.....when people didn’t complain.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:13 pm The only demand I have from the BLM comes out of a very simple reality IMO. If black lives matter and words are suppose to mean things then all black lives should matter. They should matter as much as the cop choking a man to death on a street corner to a young black man gunned down on a street corner because of a disagreement on whose street corner it is. If I am missing something here then I am all ears.
You're missing the actual mission statement of the organization, and instead project what it is YOU think they should be doing.

There are plenty of organizations that work on local violence in cities all across America. A ton that deal specifically with drug and gang related violence.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:25 pm

Btw, I know a family with a home in Boston that had a couple of years on the mortgage left. The house burned down and coverage only extended to the mortgage balance. All the equity was wiped out. It’s not that the guy didn’t know any better.....It was the only policy available in that area. It’s was just a way of life. Guy has no bitterness. Sort of shrugged his shoulders and took it.

MAGA.....when people didn’t complain.
That’s just it, whining and bitching. They took our jobs! I had a ton of GCs come through my mothers modest homes last two weeks. I know there isn’t that much work in that area and guys are swinging for the fences and not even carrying themselves professionally. I’m not a “sticks and bricks” guy but have reviewed hundreds of commercial appraisals, engineering reports and environmentals along with pulling tax cards etc and one dude rolls in thinkninf he pay for his year on this out of town guy and starts talking about $20k to redo 1,000ish Sq Ft of floor from carpet. Now I generally know that Decent flooring can be had for $2-$3/ft And it’s at best a two day job for no more than two people. Call it 50hrs Labor and that’s generous. So you’re telling me Labor is $200/hr and your taking another $5k+ in profit? Move the f*%k on. Witnessed this over and over again. I see it in my dads WNY family. All this trash talking, anger, bombastic chest puffing about being a man (which in the heat of a real trial they mostly wouldn’t show very well) and that they need and deserve more but when an opportunity arises they don’t show up. Too much crying out there. On both sides but at least it’s acknowledged with the millenial AOC crowd.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:47 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:13 pm The only demand I have from the BLM comes out of a very simple reality IMO. If black lives matter and words are suppose to mean things then all black lives should matter. They should matter as much as the cop choking a man to death on a street corner to a young black man gunned down on a street corner because of a disagreement on whose street corner it is. If I am missing something here then I am all ears.
You're missing the actual mission statement of the organization, and instead project what it is YOU think they should be doing.

There are plenty of organizations that work on local violence in cities all across America. A ton that deal specifically with drug and gang related violence.
From their website, it seems it 'started' as a movement for equality against the state (in red), then furthered to include the entire community (in blue) aspect. I believe this is where the discussion splits hairs.

In the years since, we’ve committed to struggling together and to imagining and creating a world free of anti-Blackness, where every Black person has the social, economic, and political power to thrive.

Black Lives Matter began as a call to action in response to state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism. Our intention from the very beginning was to connect Black people from all over the world who have a shared desire for justice to act together in their communities. The impetus for that commitment was, and still is, the rampant and deliberate violence inflicted on us by the state.

This Milwaukee cop does explains the concern....from 2014.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Maybe I am missing what you consider to be their true mission statement. What I am saying is the BLM movement has something going for it than no other organization has. They have the ears of many Americans that are willing to listen to their message. You have to understand they have the power to make a difference in the black community. You think any government program has that type of respect your kidding yourself. With great power comes great responsibility. That is if you choose to use that power for a greater good. BLM can do that right now, if they choose to do so.
Bob Ross:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

You're missing the actual mission statement of the organization, and instead project what it is YOU think they should be doing. Perhaps they should change their name as it's misleading of course.

There are plenty of organizations that work on local violence in cities all across America. A ton that deal specifically with drug and gang related violence. Well if that is the case, they're doing some really special work...especially in Chicago :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:20 pm
You're missing the actual mission statement of the organization, and instead project what it is YOU think they should be doing. Perhaps they should change their name as it's misleading of course.

There are plenty of organizations that work on local violence in cities all across America. A ton that deal specifically with drug and gang related violence. Well if that is the case, they're doing some really special work...especially in Chicago :roll:
How are you helping?
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:22 pm

How are you helping?
I'm not. I have smaller fish to fry.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:14 pm

From their website, it seems it 'started' as a movement for equality against the state (in red), then furthered to include the entire community (in blue) aspect. I believe this is where the discussion splits hairs.

In the years since, we’ve committed to struggling together and to imagining and creating a world free of anti-Blackness, where every Black person has the social, economic, and political power to thrive.

Black Lives Matter began as a call to action in response to state-sanctioned violence and anti-Black racism. Our intention from the very beginning was to connect Black people from all over the world who have a shared desire for justice to act together in their communities. The impetus for that commitment was, and still is, the rampant and deliberate violence inflicted on us by the state.

This Milwaukee cop does explains the concern....from 2014.

Great post YA. The words of the police chief says it all. When he tells them why he was on his phone it shut every body in the room the hell up. The officers words speak of the frustration he lives with everyday.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 pm

How are you helping?
So do I. I am acting locally.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan, how bout: BLMWKBPAIPA?

Black Lives Matter When Killed By Police And It's Politically Advantageous
Last edited by tech37 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:24 pm

How are you helping?
BTW, Chicago is great. My niece and her husband lives along the Magnificent Mile. I love it there.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”