Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Racism in America- Week 4 of Unrest

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:48 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:01 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:19 am looks like de blasio's wife will handle it in nyc.
https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/chirlane- ... n-statues/
that should go well after her last crack at it for women of the city.
I must be missing something...what was her prior commission's result?
Dumped a memorial to a doctor who did his research operating on slaves without anesthesia??? ohh the horror. :roll:

Is this really not something which deserves clarity?
Hopefully, they will articulate the rationale for keeping memorials to people like Washington and Jefferson, while making clear which statues, memorials, names etc should be changed...and why.

This deserves clear articulation, based on a thorough approach and rationale, not mob blindness and rage.

Not a fan of the nepotism though.
Maybe we need a truth & reconciliation commission for statuary.
Why not? I told you this was coming.

MAGA
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:54 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:41 pm what's the difference. he's sorry. and did some other goods, maybe.

(also do we think MeToo wouldve considered hemings to have properly consented)
Must be some reason you felt compelled to add it in. What were you thinking the value of including it is? In your words.
he's a bad guy. no?

a white male, privileged, insider, slaveowner. wrote the rules and then didnt follow them.
I don’t think I can pretend to know what he is, not should anyone else, beyond the evidence we have in hand.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:38 pm Is that a legitimate question or just rhetorical to make some point? We could continue to not listen to Black people and excuse it because of language and persist in speaking for black people like some on here have. That doesn’t work for me but seems like it’s more than enough for some.
This is the guy that believes housing discrimination based on race is fine and calling someone a n$gger is fine because black people do it. He can practice both if he chooses. It’s up to him.
Ahh, when do we get the Donald Sterling statue? Great american basketball owner!

I will admit that occasionally I have music on while showering and might’ve rapped w Tupac and the Outlawz to Hit Em Up once or thirty times. Probably shouldn’t but damn it’s the second best diss track ever (No Vaseline being the greatest).
Ether
Vicious but #3 IMO. Good selection for sure.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:38 pm Is that a legitimate question or just rhetorical to make some point? We could continue to not listen to Black people and excuse it because of language and persist in speaking for black people like some on here have. That doesn’t work for me but seems like it’s more than enough for some.
This is the guy that believes housing discrimination based on race is fine and calling someone a n$gger is fine because black people do it. He can practice both if he chooses. It’s up to him.
Ahh, when do we get the Donald Sterling statue? Great american basketball owner!

I will admit that occasionally I have music on while showering and might’ve rapped w Tupac and the Outlawz to Hit Em Up once or thirty times. Probably shouldn’t but damn it’s the second best diss track ever (No Vaseline being the greatest).
Ether
Vicious but #3 IMO. Good selection for sure.
👍
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wonder if anyone else has any idea what we’re talking about here...
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:41 pm what's the difference. he's sorry. and did some other goods, maybe.

I can ask some of his descendants I know... ;)
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:19 am looks like de blasio's wife will handle it in nyc.
Dumped a memorial to a doctor who did his research operating on slaves without anesthesia??? ohh the horror. :roll:

Hopefully, they will articulate the rationale for keeping memorials to people like Washington and Jefferson, while making clear which statues, memorials, names etc should be changed...and why.

This deserves clear articulation, based on a thorough approach and rationale, not mob blindness and rage.

a year or 2 ago she was named by whoever was the mayor of nyc to head up a "blue-ribbon" panel..
construct a number of statues of prominent women of new york who have furthered its progress. likely bc maybe 98% of all previous memorials were male.
good start.
took a poll of new yorkers. chucked it. had the panel to work with. chucked a lot of that collaboration.
settled on her list.
then de blasio and an actor got in a spat about it and cuomo joined in, of course bc the latter 2 had an italian-american they wanted.
went great.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:25 pm

a year or 2 ago she was named by whoever was the mayor of nyc to head up a "blue-ribbon" panel..
construct a number of statues of prominent women of new york who have furthered its progress. likely bc maybe 98% of all previous memorials were male.
good start.
took a poll of new yorkers. chucked it. had the panel to work with. chucked a lot of that collaboration.
settled on her list.
then de blasio and an actor got in a spat about it and cuomo joined in, of course bc the latter 2 had an italian-american they wanted.
went great.
so...plenty of knuckleheads...
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:15 pm

Must be some reason you felt compelled to add it in. What were you thinking the value of including it is? In your words.
he's a bad guy. no?

a white male, privileged, insider, slaveowner. wrote the rules and then didnt follow them.
I don’t think I can pretend to know what he is, not should anyone else, beyond the evidence we have in hand.
that's fair. though some here at FL have told me what i think or what my feelings are on a topic. pure synthesis.

can you pretend that... grant didnt have a slave? you werent there. neither was i.

so TJ didnt have slaves, fine. didnt say black people smell, are mentally inferior, fine. i wasnt there either.

what if you went over to CHAZ in seattle. handed someone a 20. they would either say: (a) the cause tells me this is a symbol of oppression, im tearing it up; or (b) i really need the money and this is convenient. or (c), andrew jackson had slaves i thought he was a D

thank you for discussing.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 pm

Proof that Democrats are praying their party eats them last?

Why did you tear down a statue of Ulysses Grant? What'd he do? I thought he was a 'winner'? What happened to yesterday's excuse that only losers got torn down?

LOL! PB is accusing me of tearing down the Grant statue. Hahaha!

In case you didn't know it, I've never been to San Francisco or at any point west of Kansas City. For all I know it was you or mebbe a fellow 3 percenters who did so.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I just don’t care to play the moral relativism game.

Made it clear I’m not a fan of permanent memorialization of people in general, waste of public resources including land and ongoing maintenance costs when we evolve in all sorts of different wants over time. Don’t think anarchistic and fringe “ruckus causers” should do what they do either. Don’t see your sarcastic or non serious comments and rhetorical questions of any value either.

I was and continue to be a big economics fan, kept my membership in this international economics honor society for two decades basically since college even though it’s moved too hard towards the Milton Friedman positive economics/hard science categorization for my tastes. With this I’ll give you a derivation or your non serious question:

An Economist sees a $20 bill on the ground while walking down the street and doesn’t pick it up. When asked why he says
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:49 pm I just don’t care to play the moral relativism game.

Made it clear I’m not a fan of permanent memorialization of people in general, waste of public resources including land and ongoing maintenance costs when we evolve in all sorts of different wants over time. Don’t think anarchistic and fringe “ruckus causers” should do what they do either. Don’t see your sarcastic or non serious comments and rhetorical questions of any value either.

I was and continue to be a big economics fan, kept my membership in this international economics honor society for two decades basically since college even though it’s moved too hard towards the Milton Friedman positive economics/hard science categorization for my tastes. With this I’ll give you a derivation or your non serious question:

An Economist sees a $20 bill on the ground while walking down the street and doesn’t pick it up. When asked why he says
agreed. i'm simply asking where it ends, because the movement is seemingly incoherent at times.

if you read sarcasm, you've misread. if you don't like my policy questions, then i query why you're even on a forum to discuss policy. apologies

here's an example of a counterpoint- note i don't necessarily agree: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/we- ... LJXQ5KSDY/
“The conversation was an example of the power of civil discourse and included discussion of complex issues and different perspectives,” Choi said in a statement released Friday. “After further discussion with other curators, the university decided not to remove the Jefferson statue. We learn from history. We contextualize historical figures with complex legacies. We don’t remove history.”
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Policy questions? Please repeat those.

What movement and who do you define as the movement. All people who don’t support the behavior, choices and activities of this president? Black people tired of unnecessarily being murdered by white people with authority that are never held accountable?

The movement is fringe and if you’re suggesting that it’s all dissenters of this president or the “blue wall of silence” then you aren’t serious and what are YOU doing on this forum? Fringe doesn’t deserve the keys types by those that point at this and that birdie to deflect from
REAL problems that CITIZENS of the USA are having.

And the idea that everybody and every group hits it’s target means that all of Wall Street isn’t serious because they have never since Buttonwood hit and stood at equilibrium pricing. Even by definition the word movement itself means looking to change something. Doesn’t mean it is the Platonic essence of the idea. That’s ludicrous.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:49 pm I’m not a fan of permanent memorialization of people in general
An exception, of course, is Nick Foles and the Philly Special.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nick+fo ... oVhpu6fapM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:34 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:15 pm

he's a bad guy. no?

that's fair. though some here at FL have told me what i think or what my feelings are on a topic. pure synthesis.

can you pretend that... grant didnt have a slave? you werent there. neither was i.

so TJ didnt have slaves, fine. didnt say black people smell, are mentally inferior, fine. i wasnt there either.

what if you went over to CHAZ in seattle. handed someone a 20. they would either say: (a) the cause tells me this is a symbol of oppression, im tearing it up; or (b) i really need the money and this is convenient. or (c), andrew jackson had slaves i thought he was a D

thank you for discussing.
Where is your policy question here?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:49 pm I’m not a fan of permanent memorialization of people in general
An exception, of course, is Nick Foles and the Philly Special.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nick+fo ... oVhpu6fapM
Eh, I’d like to memorialize the guy who streaked Christy Mathewson in a period of important rivalry between Bart and Bucknell. Right at the Faceoff X...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:13 pm Really think folks should check out the Chappelle bit. It’s raw and in front of a limited crowd at some outdoor venue who clearly were expecting more jokes.

One good point was an anecdote of a black former military service member turned cop who reported excessive force by his partner, was reprimanded himself led the force and shot four white cops. When they showed up it was “with like 400 of cops and they Swiss cheesed his a**.“ Why, because he killed some of them but then they don’t understand why they’re getting the reaction from black people from this stuff that’s going on, citing a few references. The hypocrisy he pointed out is stark.
why should i. he uses the N word. it's offensive. we should cancel him.

... or is it just art, and therefore exempt.
Is this a serious policy question?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:30 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:08 pm Biden’s real record on race:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/04/ ... defensible
TJ (slaveholder and possible rapist): people smell and are bad at poetry; i shall enslave them

JB (presumptive DNC nominee): not my problem; too long ago

TJ: i'm sorry; i'll further my own interests by creating a hypocritical government charter that maybe in 100 years will outlaw bondage and maybe in 200 years outlaw discrimination and maybe in 250 years something else will happen

SJW: we're good, that works for us
Is this a serious policy question?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This a serious policy question?

Return to “POLITICS”