Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Racism in America- Week 4 of Unrest

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:29 pm

MAGA
TLD thanks for this. Had never seen this particular bit of film.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:05 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:06 pm
HooDat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:59 pm https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... rity-down/
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:21 pm bit of conflation with 'globalism' going on in that list, but the fundamental point is valid about the haves and have nots, the capital class and the working class.

Globalism and technology are forces that are pretty much an inevitable part of reality of the future, (unless you want to crush/stagnate the world's economy)...how they are managed to provide equity is another matter altogether.
you are naive or trying to make yourself feel better. Globalism is important to the powerful for one reason only - money. It is cheaper to "employ" Chinese/Vietnamese/Cambodian/Mexican/Costa Rican labor than it would be to house and feed slaves in the US. That is why globalism is "important". THAT is why the elite class will die on the hill of pushing globalism as their utopian fantasy.
Don't kid yourself that I don't actually understand that argument. :roll:

I just don't see those folks in other countries as less deserving of competing for work than their competitors in the US. And I'm in favor of international systems that enhance that possibility, not discourage it.

Now, if you want to discuss how we, as a nation, best serve our own citizens to win that competition, I'm all for such discussion.

But I don't see 'globalism', nor technology, as the enemy...they're inevitable realities that are far more beneficial than detrimental, in and of themselves. But like capitalism, they need rules and regulations, as, unfettered, they can, and indeed will, run amok.
When I use the term "globalism" I am referring to globalism as it exists in the real world. The breadth of modes of operation within the concept of international trade is very different and of course can have very good outcomes for everyone involved. It just is not reality - and I am of the thought that we should deal with reality. The world does not have to be a zero sum game - it is just treated that way by those who can most afford not to (and I mean by all those in power not just capitalists). Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Billion of dollars or million of lives at your command is effectively the equivalent of absolute power within our ability to conceive it.
well, you're defining that 'reality' as a straw man...obviously I'm not suggesting that we needn't deal with reality, in this case the dark underbelly of globalism manipulated primarily for the benefit of the 'haves' of the world, but nevertheless lifting billions out of abject poverty too. Just like capitalism can run amok (power indeed corrupts, etc), so too can globalism.

But I'm not rejecting capitalism because it can and will run amok if unregulated, nor am I rejecting constitutional democracy just because it can become moribund and corrupted as well. That's the argument of extremists.

So, too globalism...nor technology, which is actually the biggest challenge to prior working class jobs.

If we want to actually be serious about raising living conditions and wellbeing worldwide while reducing economic gaps between haves and have nots...that's a conversation worth having.

I just don't want to resort to easy boogeymen in the process.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:24 pm

MAGA
Get it to X got stopped for shoplifting at 13, what is this guy complaining about. It’s all in his head.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:19 pm
HooDat wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:59 pm https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... rity-down/
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:21 pm bit of conflation with 'globalism' going on in that list, but the fundamental point is valid about the haves and have nots, the capital class and the working class.

Globalism and technology are forces that are pretty much an inevitable part of reality of the future, (unless you want to crush/stagnate the world's economy)...how they are managed to provide equity is another matter altogether.
you are naive or trying to make yourself feel better. Globalism is important to the powerful for one reason only - money. It is cheaper to "employ" Chinese/Vietnamese/Cambodian/Mexican/Costa Rican labor than it would be to house and feed slaves in the US. That is why globalism is "important". THAT is why the elite class will die on the hill of pushing globalism as their utopian fantasy.

I just don't see those folks in other countries as less deserving of competing for work than their competitors in the US. And I'm in favor of international systems that enhance that possibility, not discourage it.

Now, if you want to discuss how we, as a nation, best serve our own citizens to win that competition, I'm all for such discussion.

But I don't see 'globalism', nor technology, as the enemy...they're inevitable realities that are far more beneficial than detrimental, in and of themselves. But like capitalism, they need rules and regulations, as, unfettered, they can, and indeed will, run amok.
When I use the term "globalism" I am referring to globalism as it exists in the real world. The breadth of modes of operation within the concept of international trade is very different and of course can have very good outcomes for everyone involved. It just is not reality - and I am of the thought that we should deal with reality. The world does not have to be a zero sum game - it is just treated that way by those who can most afford not to (and I mean by all those in power not just capitalists). Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Billion of dollars or million of lives at your command is effectively the equivalent of absolute power within our ability to conceive it.
We would benefit from emulating the safeguards that Germany & France have maintained for their manufacturing & ag sectors.
Nobody's accusing them of being anti-globalist.
It would be good if we could leverage NAFTA the way they have used the EU but we're too dependent upon Mexico's cheap labor, corruption & lower enviro standards.
emulate the "euroburghers", salty? :D

Seriously, the Germans, Swiss and some others have had a pretty darn good sense of the importance of excellence in manufacturing, combining world class engineering with well established apprenticeship skills training and development.

In thinking about ag, the key issue has been our embrace of factory farming with huge exports instead of focus on local sustainability. Less about protectionism, though that's a factor for the Europeans as a defense against our low cost, but way less fresh, delicious, nutritious, sustainable factory farming practices, but also a cultural appreciation of those elements of food. In part that's driven by the scale of America, with so much emphasis on shipping food across the country at all seasons, thus the necessity to engineer that food to stay salable over distance and time. And then, the emphasis on shelf stable processed food...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:02 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:05 pm Don't think George Washington or Thomas Jefferson have anything to worry about. Don't like Nathan Bedford Forrest's odds.

Lol. Jefferson doesn’t have a year left. Tops. Washington maybe 3 years.

No one is safe from the liberal mob. It eats until nothing is left to eat. JHU72 thinks he’s safe because he’s woke; what he and others never understand is one can’t be woke enough for the mob. Any nuance no matter how well intentioned is seen as an assault on the Left mob. It won’t stop until it eats itself.

Thanks Democrats!!
… sell that fear. :lol: You know you may be the death of 6 foot. :lol: :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm France collectively is bent towards anti globalism. No doubt.
But not the Germans and Swiss, nor Swedes, etc.
French are especially conscious of food and art...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MAGA
Yes, thank you, TLD. Amazing film.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
njbill

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:50 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:40 pm Rolfe waived his court appearance today. This means he didn’t ask for bond and will remain in jail. Not sure about this, but I presume he has a right to request bond at a later time. Perhaps he and his lawyer are waiting for things to calm down. Or perhaps they are concerned for his safety were he to be released into the community.

The DA has announced they will not seek the death penalty. He also said the case may not go before a grand jury until January.
Thanks bill -- I had the same thought about him deferring the hearing for personal safety concerns. That may be an indicator he feels more secure in the Gwinnett Co facility than in Fulton Co's. Might also be waiting for the GBI investigation which could help his cause.
He should definitely be eligible for bail. The only significant reason not to grant bail, I think, would be concerns about his personal safety.

And, yes, if facts are developed through further investigation that help his case, that could help him secure a bail. Of course, the opposite is true as well. He is no doubt also hoping the grand jury won’t indict him, which is always a possibility. But that seems to be many months away.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:48 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm France collectively is bent towards anti globalism. No doubt.
But not the Germans and Swiss, nor Swedes, etc.
French are especially conscious of food and art...
Maybe but it’s not always evident on the street and, frankly, do any European economies beyond Germany, France and England matter? And do those three matter all that much? Japan spends a lot more on R&D. All of Europe is beginning to look like Greece economically to me.

Re Germany: A massive fraud is playing out in a company called Wirecard which was one of the best performing stocks in the prior year or two in the DAX. Something like $9Bn mkt cap drop in a couple of days which is a bigger deal there than here. More importantly, the govt won’t let Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank, the two largest banks who’ve both been on the ropes for years, merge. In our country when we wouldn’t let Citibank and Wachovia merge in fall of 2008 because we knew they’d collectively fail which seems to spell a lot of trouble for the German banking system. (Part of their problem is the PostBank system along with the Landesbanks which suck up deposits and push down loan pricing for small and mid sized business customers-a structural problem)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:46 pm

We would benefit from emulating the safeguards that Germany & France have maintained for their manufacturing & ag sectors.
It would be good if we could leverage NAFTA the way they have used the EU but we're too dependent upon Mexico's cheap labor, corruption & lower enviro standards.

Seriously, the Germans, Swiss and some others have had a pretty darn good sense of the importance of excellence in manufacturing, combining world class engineering with well established apprenticeship skills training and development.

In thinking about ag, the key issue has been our embrace of factory farming with huge exports instead of focus on local sustainability. Less about protectionism, though that's a factor for the Europeans as a defense against our low cost, but way less fresh, delicious, nutritious, sustainable factory farming practices, but also a cultural appreciation of those elements of food. In part that's driven by the scale of America, with so much emphasis on shipping food across the country at all seasons, thus the necessity to engineer that food to stay salable over distance and time. And then, the emphasis on shelf stable processed food...

So, too globalism...nor technology, which is actually the biggest challenge to prior working class jobs.
Whattya know, we agree on something.

I'm all for limiting subsidies to big ag & diverting them to smaller farms & ranches.
The mass euthanasia of pigs we are now enduring is inexcusable.
I'm all for local farm to market when possible.
I grew up unloading in-season produce from local farmers' pickup trucks & preparing it for display & sale.
Candling eggs & hanging sides of beef & whole hogs. Meat, poultry & produce were no less available or expensive.
Local farm communities were once vibrant & competetive. They could be again.

Technology & automation can't be used to rationalize the offshoring of manufacturing or resource extraction jobs.
That's all the more reason to adapt our workforce to retain the ones we have & can bring back.
Last edited by old salt on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:21 pm

I'm all for limiting subsidies to big ag & diverting them to smaller farms & ranches.
I grew up unloading in-season produce from local farmers' pickup trucks & preparing it for display & sale.
Candeling eggs & hanging sides of beef. Meat, poultry & produce was no less available or expensive.

Technology & automation can't be used to rationalize the offshoring of manufacturing or resource extraction jobs.
That's all the more reason to adapt our workforce to retain the ones we have & can bring back.
That is protectionism......That’s not a free market. The American worker should be more competitive.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:54 pm

MAGA
Yes, thank you, TLD. Amazing film.

DocBarrister :shock:
wow, thanks...will play this with my family this evening.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Candling eggs & hanging sides of beef & whole hogs. Meat, poultry & produce were no less available or expensive.

:D

Actually, we also like seeing Navy lax be competitive from time to time.
I'm betting you like hard crabs and cold beer as much as I do too!
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:27 pm I'm betting you like hard crabs and cold beer as much as I do too!
Not if I have to pay for them. I grew spoiled, pulling them from traps on my pier,
or the $5 for all-you-could-eat at Mike's on Fri nights when I was a Mid.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Crab Imperial for dinner tonight. Wife is working on it now.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The only sports ware / sporting goods company I have ever felt brand loyalty to. North Face is boycotting Facebook.

… and dinner is ready. :D Life is good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LL Bean? Made my life much simpler returning stuff After years of use and wear and tear for free replacements. They finally had to drop the lifetime policy a year or two ago but heck of a company for consumers.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CU88

Post by CU88 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:45 pm Crab Imperial for dinner tonight. Wife is working on it now.
My brother and I visited our Mom today, and we each showed up with crab cakes (trying to out do each other) he had stopped at Koco's and I had run over to G&M.

Give it a month and we will meet again to pick some crabs together.

Mom refused to declare a winner...
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

i think i might be inspired to make some crab this weekend... :lol:

the northface news is big, i think. wow, a spine!

somewhat related (i think?): https://www.capitalgazette.com/educatio ... story.html
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:46 pm i think i might be inspired to make some crab this weekend... :lol:

the northface news is big, i think. wow, a spine!

somewhat related (i think?): https://www.capitalgazette.com/educatio ... story.html
Thanks for posting. One of my best friends taught at Severn.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”