Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Chitown

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Chitown »

Size of Div. 1 Lacrosse Rosters?

I asked the question a little while ago as to why the Rosters have grown so huge. Some said it was because of injuries or scout teams. I don't think so. Even in the past, lacrosse has never been a "flag or touch football" sport. There have always been injuries. You don't replace a great starter with the # 55th player on the roster. The Rosters are clearly too large and have a downside on the training and performance of the Team. Concern about the feelings of the players who are cut? Come on! These are competitive sports and no participation ribbons are handed out. Scotty cut players regularly. He needed a manageable Roster for practice.

Lacrosse Teams are not like Alabama, Ohio State, etc Football Teams. There are not 20+ coaches. There are just 3 coaches.

Effective practice during the week is essential. Game plans and schemes need to be practiced by the players who will actually play in the games. Otherwise the coaches are just wasting time and energy. Do you think it is effective for a Starter to practice against the 55-65 rated player on the team? That is not a competitive situation. What can a Coach really accomplish with 50-65 players on the practice field? Confusion. :roll:

If I had to guess, I think that the huge size of the Hopkins Roster may be an explanation for the seeming confusion that we saw on Game Days. Not sufficient good practice during the week. 40-45 players should be more than enough for a competitive Roster. :)
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Chitown wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:06 pm Size of Div. 1 Lacrosse Rosters?

I asked the question a little while ago as to why the Rosters have grown so huge. Some said it was because of injuries or scout teams. I don't think so. Even in the past, lacrosse has never been a "flag or touch football" sport. There have always been injuries. You don't replace a great starter with the # 55th player on the roster. The Rosters are clearly too large and have a downside on the training and performance of the Team. Concern about the feelings of the players who are cut? Come on! These are competitive sports and no participation ribbons are handed out. Scotty cut players regularly. He needed a manageable Roster for practice.

Lacrosse Teams are not like Alabama, Ohio State, etc Football Teams. There are not 20+ coaches. There are just 3 coaches.

Effective practice during the week is essential. Game plans and schemes need to be practiced by the players who will actually play in the games. Otherwise the coaches are just wasting time and energy. Do you think it is effective for a Starter to practice against the 55-65 rated player on the team? That is not a competitive situation. What can a Coach really accomplish with 50-65 players on the practice field? Confusion. :roll:

If I had to guess, I think that the huge size of the Hopkins Roster may be an explanation for the seeming confusion that we saw on Game Days. Not sufficient good practice during the week. 40-45 players should be more than enough for a competitive Roster. :)
Nobody has explained why Petro was ballooning the roster. I get 50, I don’t get almost 65. Were the admins asking for an increase of revenue from the program? Was he really hoping to find more gems? As a coach it’s difficult enough dealing with 50 young men I’m scratching my head why you would want 15 more.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Nobody has explained why Petro was ballooning the roster. I get 50, I don’t get almost 65. Were the admins asking for an increase of revenue from the program? Was he really hoping to find more gems? As a coach it’s difficult enough dealing with 50 young men I’m scratching my head why you would want 15 more.
I think it has a lot to do with recruiting. In JHU's case, they were recruiting too early. There were other players out there that were available as sophomores, juniors and seniors that were better than the players JHU was recruiting as freshmen. JHU wanted these guys too, so they recruited them. Cam Chauvette and Brendan Grimes are both left-handed attackmen (that could each probably play a little midfield). Who committed first? I'm guessing Chauvette.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Thanks, Chitown.

I don’t even understand why there should be more than 30-35 players on a roster. Every player on the team should get some playing time in games if they are healthy during the season. That’s not a “participation ribbon” type of thing ... it keeps players engaged and better prepares players for larger roles in the future by giving them real reps in games. Seriously, who the ^#%* needs scout teams? Some of the greatest lacrosse teams in history didn’t have a #+%*^%# scout team. And how can three coaches and a volunteer effectively teach the game to 50+ guys?

Rant over. Thank you. Thank you very much.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:17 pm

The same reason Danowski is loading up with “free agents”. He wanted to win, and WIN NOW.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

There is not much mystery to this for me - it turned out to be a disastrous strategy but the strategy was - go after the youngest politically acceptable class (i.e. others were recruiting kids that young) and fill it to the brim as quickly as possible. Given that you were going to make more Type I errors (recruiting players who don't pan out) you need alot of them so that some at least can play effectively at that level. You probably had to rely on natural selection - laws of nature and figure the flotsam/jetsam will float away/sink. I think an issue Petro ran into that exacerbated the problem was that it is true that all rosters are getting somewhat larger due to the bottleneck. Consequently, the 8th defenseman at Hopkins probably has little opportunity to move elsewhere - especially if he has a narrow focus on what schools he would like to play for. So - everybody tends to show up and you have 35 kids in two classes. The most interesting part of this to me is exactly why he adopted the strategy and executed it to the degree he did? To me it seems a combination of 2 things to begin with - one he truly believed there were players he could identify at an early age that the program needed and the sooner he got a commitment he increased the chance they would actually show up rather than slug it out for 2-3 years convincing kids to come.
CC10

Post by CC10 »

The ship was certainly sinking under Petro and early recruiting was a big factor. But you knew something was going wrong when last fall one of his top D recruits flipped to Dartmouth. Nothing against Dartmouth but says more about what was happening at Hopkins. In hindsight smart move....
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

CC10 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:38 pm Nothing against Dartmouth but says more about what was happening at Hopkins.
Does it? You have literally no idea why the kid switched commitments. Could be a million reasons. He's from Mass, maybe he wanted to stay closer to home.
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:16 pm Cam Chauvette and Brendan Grimes are both left-handed attackmen (that could each probably play a little midfield). Who committed first? I'm guessing Chauvette.
Grimes was originally an Ohio State early verbal before switching to JHU in 2018. Chauvette committed in 2016.

Best Hopkins middies of all time: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBliXYjjRP6/

I'll pick Dressel, Harrison, and Hunts.
CC10

Post by CC10 »

You are correct, not sure of the real reason but yes closer to home, but could also be that Dartmouth is regarded as a better academic school, a great campus, and a lax program that is on the upswing...all good possibilities.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... oronavirus

Not to be that guy, but imagine it's next winter and there's an issue and we lose 13 kids the week before a game. Maybe having a bigger roster helps.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Second '21 Cornell commit switches to Hopkins: Jack Charboneau, an attackman from the Vancouver area with an extensive box lacrosse background. So the two guys of ours who switched to Penn State after the coaching change have been quickly replaced with guys Milliman had already recruited.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I realize he had a bad social media outing recently but under what criteria is Rabil not one of the 3 best Hopkins midfielders? You don't win either title in '05 or '07 without him. There are very few in the tank more for Harry than moi, and he makes the list under somewhat of a technicality for me - that Brendan Schneck was only at Hop for 2 years and he played attack for some of that period - all 4 years at Hop and Brendan might own any record you could name. so for me give me Dressel/Rabil/Harry with Schneck as an asterisk
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

CC10 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:15 pm You are correct, not sure of the real reason but yes closer to home, but could also be that Dartmouth is regarded as a better academic school, a great campus, and a lax program that is on the upswing...all good possibilities.
Well played CC10 -- :lol: :lol:
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:50 pm I realize he had a bad social media outing recently but under what criteria is Rabil not one of the 3 best Hopkins midfielders? You don't win either title in '05 or '07 without him. There are very few in the tank more for Harry than moi, and he makes the list under somewhat of a technicality for me - that Brendan Schneck was only at Hop for 2 years and he played attack for some of that period - all 4 years at Hop and Brendan might own any record you could name. so for me give me Dressel/Rabil/Harry with Schneck as an asterisk
that podcast maybe had 350 listens and 344 of them probably thought it was cool. He's done an awful lot to grow the programs brand in the social media age. He's earned quite a few mulligans.

If you're a rival fan you're probably enjoying the hopkinssports.com team of the decade bracket challenge. In fitting fashion the mens program is long gone before anything of consequence happens.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

With 60 plus people on the roster, all the resources of JHU, and all the momentum of the new coaches, it seems a bit peculiar to feel the need to poach recruits who were initially introduced to Cornell's program on Cornell's "dime". SHM...
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Cornell’s”Dime”
Cornell’s”Dime”
D8E29A31-B3F5-4598-A11B-7678EF200401.jpeg (55 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

We were way, way overdue for a cat.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 pm With 60 plus people on the roster, all the resources of JHU, and all the momentum of the new coaches, it seems a bit peculiar to feel the need to poach recruits who were initially introduced to Cornell's program on Cornell's "dime". SHM...
Milliman recruited them in the first place. It’s completely fair game IMO and besides, it takes two to tango. Bringing over the entire Cornell recruiting class would be one thing but picking a few from the group who reciprocate the interest is well within his right. Especially given the dark cloud hanging over recruiting for these rising seniors—it’s smart to lock up a few more kids whom you’ve scouted in person. Coaches may not have many new opportunities to recruit these kids before time runs out on them needing to commit to a school.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:32 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:16 pm With 60 plus people on the roster, all the resources of JHU, and all the momentum of the new coaches, it seems a bit peculiar to feel the need to poach recruits who were initially introduced to Cornell's program on Cornell's "dime". SHM...
Milliman recruited them in the first place. It’s completely fair game IMO and besides, it takes two to tango. Bringing over the entire Cornell recruiting class would be one thing but picking a few from the group who reciprocate the interest is well within his right. Especially given the dark cloud hanging over recruiting for these rising seniors—it’s smart to lock up a few more kids whom you’ve scouted in person. Coaches may not have many new opportunities to recruit these kids before time runs out on them needing to commit to a school.
As long as the player is making the first move to contact JHU to express interest, all is fair.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:22 pm D8E29A31-B3F5-4598-A11B-7678EF200401.jpeg

We were way, way overdue for a cat.
I guess that this says it all 😂😂😂
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:32 pm
As long as the player is making the first move to contact JHU to express interest, all is fair.
All is fair either way. That’s recruiting these days - give me a break. If Milliman thinks he can make Hopkins better - go after them

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”