Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Racism in America- Week 4 of Unrest

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

get it to x wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:00 pm
get it to x wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:43 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 am
get it to x wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:49 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:28 am
get it to x wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:01 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:09 am
CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:53 am Are posters here telling us that cops have both the Right and Training to be both Judge AND Executioner?
… some clearly like it that way, certainly when it comes to people of color
How many is some? The vagueness of your post does little to bolster your argument. And of those that want to be executioner, how many only want to kill people of color? How many unjustified killings of black people were there? Without adjudicating Rayshard Brooks death, George Floyd is certainly the most recent example. If this were an epidemic, why haven't we seen massive unrest on a continual basis? Of the 9 unarmed black people killed in 2019 in police interactions about half involved physical confrontations and attempts to take an officers weapon and become an armed person.

Sure, we need better hiring and training practices, but let's not ignore what creates too many interactions. Remember, most of these interactions occur in cities with Democrats in control of the Mayor's Office, District Attorney and Chief of Police. I don't believe they are racists. They are just focusing on the wrong things and many times painting others as villains to deflect from their own failures. People of all colors, including whites, are more likely to live in poverty and have police interactions when there is no father present in the house, more so in urban settings where there is a presence of police in closer proximity to the population.

And yet what group want's to eliminate the "nuclear family" from the black community? I will give you three guesses but the first two don't count. This is from a tab on a website titled "What we believe":

"We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

Where does the word "father" appear?

… this old saw. A conservative church lady fantasy narrative (not so sure calling it conservative is fair any longer - I know actual conservatives who understand this if BS). Like no black (or white) kid who runs afoul of the law has a father. And of course this is all the fault of democrats. Have you ever talked to a black man about raising his children (more specifically SONS)? The challenges -- that you as a white man don't face!

The fact that lack of fathers is a problem DOES NOT mean it is the problem. I have personally spoken with enough of a sample of black fathers about raising their sons to feel pretty confident they have a special problem. It is called systematic racism. They know it when they see it, and they see it daily. Sure it is better than it used to be, but it does exist. It is real. Because you don't see (of course you don't - you are white) doesn't mean it does not exist.

To change the subject only a little -- put me in the class of white men who doesn't trust the police. My interactions - by the book - with them show them to have significant problems in interacting with citizens, the people they are supposed to serve and protect. I have been noticing this since the 80s. It is not new, and it is getting worse IMO. I am not talking about the call it 5% bad COPs - it is the entire force. I don't think I am the only white man who has lost trust and respect for these folks over the last 20 - 40 years. It is the system, it is broken, it must and will be fixed. It is more than just retraining - it will require them to see their job differently. A fan, above, puts his finger on how to see it differently. He is absolutely correct in his assessment of the Brooks incident (he is not the first - this discussion has been had many times). They need to stop thinking with their balls and start thinking with their brains. Needless confrontation is stupid and expensive. It is the system.

PS - if you don't think this is wrapped up in the question of gun control - think again.
There is racism and there will always be racism because there will always be stupid people. Systemic? I don't buy it. The societal penalty for being a real racist is too stiff and only those stupid people can't see it. Racism is a problem of the heart, not the intellect. Groups like skinheads and the KKK are marginalized by society. The only organized racism is your "paternalism" for treating black adults like your children.

Paternalism is the job of fathers!!! So let's do nothing about a problem that could be addressed without much financial investment, just educating all people on how to increase their chances of success. Feminists would likely go nuts about the "Patriarchy", which has only proven to improve lives for many centuries. So let's let a bunch of entitled third wave feminists and uncaring liberals dictate the fate of people they don't know any more than I do.
You need to spend some time talking to some black fathers about their experiences and those of their children. It would be time well spent.
You mean the fathers unmentioned and actually shown hostility by your pals at BLM, which is about socialsim, not black lives? I would also never presume that you need to do anything. You might suggest I should, but telling me I need to do anything is an insult. Maybe you should to go talk to the white kid who had the stuffing beaten out of him on the boardwalk in Ocean City, but it won't be me telling you need to do anything Mr. Totalitarian.
I have done it, more than once, or twice. The suggestion was not meant as an insult. It was meant as good advice. Your position is the black fathers I have spoken with are all liars. You without the experience (like myself, without the experience) don't understand (in my case didn't). You need to walk a mile in their shoes so to speak to understand how pervasive it is. It does not keep one from succeeding, necessarily. It does however grind on you every day. It causes worry for your child that doesn't exist for white fathers. Not saying white fathers don't have legitimate concerns, just not the same set of concerns as the black father.

You ever walk into a store and immediately pick up a tail, how about your son?; how about walk by a standing car and heard the door locks latch?; flag down a cab, not busy, have the driver stare at you and drive on by - how about 3 or 4 cabs in a row, daily?; etc. The simple things in life just being made more difficult, more frustrating. You live in an upscale expensive neighborhood, nice neighbors, you ever worry when your teenage son goes out to play basketball with friends at the local basketball court, he may not be coming home? The experience of everyday life is different. There is not one of you - NOT ONE - who would experience these things regularly, daily and not be ticked off and frustrated at the fact that you are being treated differently - singled out.
I must have been tailed because I got caught a couple times shoplifting when I was around 13. I'm a slow learner. I have more than a handful of black clients, and their views are as diverse as ours, but almost all agree things are getting better between the races. We agree there is racism. We agree its intellectually lazy, just as calling someone a racist is. They have acknowledged that it was way different when they were young. BTW, I live in a townhouse community of about 60 homes. Probably 60% white. Broadneck HS district. There are probably a racist or two in the neighborhood, but I would be hard pressed to pick them out. We all say hi, stop and chat. I let my cats out around 10 this morning and sat on my stoop and watched my Asian (Korean??) neighbors talented 8 year old son stand in the common and practice his violin. Beautiful. Shouldn't we aspire for everyone to have that? Peace, safety and the opportunity to achieve anything without limitations.
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:26 pm By the way, let's say that Stone heard a commotion outside his door at 6 am and loaded up thinking someone was trying to break into his house (which is very probable), then the feds shoot and kill him...was that worth the risk for a tax fraudster? Also, someone else posted this once here, do you really care if Stone beat it to Cuba to avoid arrest?! lol, I'd be happy if he did! We don't pay for his incarceration, we don't pay for his trial, and you still get to seize his assets. Sweet deal imo! You guys are too much about revenge and hatred. That impacts your inconsistent views of justice.
I certainly agree with you that Matt Whitaker, the big boss who approved the Stone arrest, has some answering to do. Do you think he should be investigated? Indicted? Tried, convicted, and sentenced to jail? When they come to arrest him, maybe they should just politely knock on his door.

By the way, while we are spinning hypotheticals, let’s say that Stone never committed obstruction, never lied to every human being he ever came in contact with, never tampered with witnesses, and never conspired with WikiLeaks and the Russians to publish Clinton and DNC emails in an effort to fix the election for Donald Trump.

Then he never would have been arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to jail. He’d be free to gallivant around South Florida telling everyone at parties what an important guy he is, trying to impress chicks half his age with the tattoo on his back.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:08 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:48 pm Nah....it sounds better to say BLM is anti-father and Black people rely on the government to raise their kids.
Who's saying that ? Are you hearing voices again ? We're all citing examples of extended family members helping poor & working class nuclear families succeed without needing to pay to outsource parental responsibilities.

In their literature, BLM is discounting the value of the nuclear family. It's part of the ongoing campaign to remove any stigma from single parenthood when the single mother is not equipped financially or personally to give their children what they need to succeed.

Single motherhood is hardly limited to black women.
And the stigma should indeed be removed, as it's been a means to oppress women for a long time.

BLM is recognizing reality and calling for extended family and community responsibility, rather than simply the old patriarchal model.

But, yeah, it's not about race, it's about justice.
Where BLM is putting it's own flavor on this, in some sense related to race and culture, is the notion that there's another heritage in their ancestry that is different from the "Western" model. True and indeed an interesting lens.
.. what I don't understand is what there is to not understand. What is so hard about the concept. BLM and many others (pretty much everyone) in the social justice space acknowledges and respects the differing family structures, they are not insisting on one and only one structure. That is the position of the right wing (many). It has to be the traditional family to be sanctioned. There is no other way. Which is clearly non-sense and will never happen. The poor require the flexibility. The wealthier among us can afford the deluxe model.

I'd really love to hear how the believers that it has to be the traditional family or nothing are going to enforce that.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:42 pm Hey a Fan, I hate to disappoint you but those 2 cops in Atlanta turned themselves in of their own volition. It did not take 30 armed to the teeth feds to raid their house at 6am.
You're on board with Pete? You want warrants served by one single policeman without a gun?

I'll tell you this much: there's NO WAY you could get me to do that job. Not a chance. This is America, and people are armed. Sooner or later, you're going to knock on the wrong door.

But go right ahead and tell your Governor this is what you want.

"Search warrants, particularly narcotic search warrants, are one of the most dangerous things that police officers can do," he said. "Typically, that's why they're handled by SWAT teams or special tactical teams that have special training and special equipment."

He said those tactical teams try to plan ahead as much as possible and get as much intel as possible before serving a warrant.

"So they have a sense of how many people may be in a location, what kind of weapons they may have," said Johnson. "They generally have to knock and announce they're there, which certainly gives anyone inside enough of a heads up to be able to grab a weapon, or whatever, to defend their property or potentially have a shootout with police."

https://wjla.com/news/local/philadelphi ... g-warrants
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:35 pm
foreverlax wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:54 pm
ggait wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:17 pm
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.
The best thing for kids is to have an intact nuclear family AND also the back-up of an extended family/village. The best thing is belt and suspenders.

The nuclear family only model is a pretty recent development. And the evidence overwhelmingly shows that it is extremely fragile and often unsustainable. Especially in today's economy where the family often has to rely upon two pay checks.

Commercial daycare has to replace a family caretaker (mom, grandmom, aunt, neighbor). And boy does the nuclear family only model collapse (economically and emotionally) if the mom/dad relationship goes south (whether the parents stay together or not).

The kids are so much better off if their economic and emotional well-being is not 100% dependent on (i) both mom and dad always staying continuously employed and (ii) always staying happily married. If the nuclear family hits a speed bump, it often crumbles. And that's when grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins can pick up the slack for the great benefit of the kids.

Even though yucky Hillary said it, it is true. It does take a village.

Terrific article by David Brooks deep diving into this topic. Highly recommended.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ke/605536/

GG - great find!! Title will keep some from taking the time...

The Nuclear Family Was a Mistake
The family structure we’ve held up as the cultural ideal for the past half century has been a catastrophe for many. It’s time to figure out better ways to live together.

real truth...

"Finally, over the past two generations, families have grown more unequal. America now has two entirely different family regimes. Among the highly educated, family patterns are almost as stable as they were in the 1950s; among the less fortunate, family life is often utter chaos. There’s a reason for that divide: Affluent people have the resources to effectively buy extended family, in order to shore themselves up. Think of all the child-rearing labor affluent parents now buy that used to be done by extended kin: babysitting, professional child care, tutoring, coaching, therapy, expensive after-school programs. (For that matter, think of how the affluent can hire therapists and life coaches for themselves, as replacement for kin or close friends.) These expensive tools and services not only support children’s development and help prepare them to compete in the meritocracy; by reducing stress and time commitments for parents, they preserve the amity of marriage. Affluent conservatives often pat themselves on the back for having stable nuclear families. They preach that everybody else should build stable families too. But then they ignore one of the main reasons their own families are stable: They can afford to purchase the support that extended family used to provide—and that the people they preach at, further down the income scale, cannot."
So why can't extended families still work. Many people still stay close enough to parents, aunts, & uncles to benefit from their help in child rearing. Growing up I was always within walking distance of 1 set of grandparents & several great aunts & uncles.
That is how I grew up as well. Great way to grow up. I don't think anyone is saying it isn't. It is just not available to everyone
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:07 pm
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:27 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:20 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 am
CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:53 am Are posters here telling us that cops have both the Right and Training to be both Judge AND Executioner?
I'm certainly not. In this case it seems the police were doing their job "by the book" having apprehended a person with a record, who proved to be DUI. Brooks is the one who escalated/set in motion the entire unfortunate altercation and conclusion. If a jury is convinced that the officer felt his life was threatened/endangered by Brooks, then again, wasn't the cop just doing his job? Isn't that the law?

Considering the politics and the fact Brooks was shot in back, makes acquittal unlikely. But I don't think this is an open and shut case for the prosecution either. Looking at it objectively, stuff doesn't add up especially considering the DA's heavy-handed list of charges.

Seems to me if the cops had just let him go, then they would have been playing "judge," but instead they did their job and arrested him (or attempted to), according to the law. As far as the shooting goes, obviously the cop will be considered "executioner" unless it is shown he acted within the law.

A lot of you guys are really looking at this in hindsight. As OS explained to a fan, the cops never expected Brooks to fight and run, and certainly not with a deadly weapon (taser is considered a "deadly weapon" in GA I believe). He caught them completely off guard with his schizo eruption. You can't somehow equate the cop's mindset before Brook's resisted arrest and after he assaulted them.

Here what the “book” says:

Use of Deadly Force
(CALEA 6th ed. Standard 4.2.1)
An employee may use deadly force to apprehend a suspected felon only when:

1. He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others; or

2. When there is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm (O.C.G.A. Section 17-4-20) and the employee reasonably believes that the suspect’s escape would create a continuing danger of serious physical harm to any person

You are wrong.
Maybe.

1. Brooks stole and attempted to use a taser

2. Brooks was DUI and could have caused harm if released (IMO, that was the cop's mindset before Brooks assaulted them)
That’s what Old Salt speculated. What do you think?
It's right in front of your circular red nose Krusty. Early today I wrote what is for me a long post stating my thoughts re the case. Is that similar to OS's ideas?...if so, that's great!... I think he's a really smart guy.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, like when you repeated the history of Aunt Jemima the other day after I had already posted it?
So original on your part :roll:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:42 pm Hey a Fan, I hate to disappoint you but those 2 cops in Atlanta turned themselves in of their own volition. It did not take 30 armed to the teeth feds to raid their house at 6am.
You're on board with Pete? You want warrants served by one single policeman without a gun?

I'll tell you this much: there's NO WAY you could get me to do that job. Not a chance. This is America, and people are armed. Sooner or later, you're going to knock on the wrong door.

But go right ahead and tell your Governor this is what you want.

"Search warrants, particularly narcotic search warrants, are one of the most dangerous things that police officers can do," he said. "Typically, that's why they're handled by SWAT teams or special tactical teams that have special training and special equipment."

He said those tactical teams try to plan ahead as much as possible and get as much intel as possible before serving a warrant.

"So they have a sense of how many people may be in a location, what kind of weapons they may have," said Johnson. "They generally have to knock and announce they're there, which certainly gives anyone inside enough of a heads up to be able to grab a weapon, or whatever, to defend their property or potentially have a shootout with police."

https://wjla.com/news/local/philadelphi ... g-warrants
"You're on board with Pete? You want warrants served by one single policeman without a gun?"

Nooooooooooooooooo, how any warrant should be handled should be proportionate to threat the individual poses to law enforcement? You ain't seen many episodes of cops in your day have you? :D They have had episodes where the armed and dangerous drug dealer is in his apartment. Very seldom do you ever see more than 6 people ever make entry into the building. The other folks were covering any possible escape routes. If you are trying to tell me that you HONESTLEY believe that pathetic little pea brain Roger Stone was a hardened dangerous criminal then your flipping off your rocker. If it makes you happy that this should be standard operating procedure for the feds when serving warrants then I am cool with that. That means you have no problem when 50 feds break down the doors( knock first, blow down the door 2 seconds later)on the black guy and his family when he has outstanding federal arrest warrants.

You have a problem in some way with trying to just have these guys/gals as many as possible to just freaking surrender without all the drama? If you can get these people to turn themselves in, that is a win/win for everybody. For some strange reason when you include Roger Stone in the mix... then it bothers you. :roll: Every freaking time the feds pull off a raid like this the chances of just one trigger happy fed firing by accident or mistake is cause for a disaster. I am assuming that your okay with that? You of all people are now advocating maximum firepower and intimidation tactics. I will say a Fan this is way out of character for you. Why didn't the feds for extra peace of mind have a battalion of the 82nd airborne surround his house? Maybe a platoon of M1 tanks and couple of spectre gunships circling overhead. Maybe they could have even had a nuke on standby... just in case Stone put up a fight. :roll: Everybody around this forum is losing their freaking minds.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:07 pm
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:27 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:20 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 am
I'm certainly not. In this case it seems the police were doing their job "by the book" having apprehended a person with a record, who proved to be DUI. Brooks is the one who escalated/set in motion the entire unfortunate altercation and conclusion. If a jury is convinced that the officer felt his life was threatened/endangered by Brooks, then again, wasn't the cop just doing his job? Isn't that the law?

Considering the politics and the fact Brooks was shot in back, makes acquittal unlikely. But I don't think this is an open and shut case for the prosecution either. Looking at it objectively, stuff doesn't add up especially considering the DA's heavy-handed list of charges.

Seems to me if the cops had just let him go, then they would have been playing "judge," but instead they did their job and arrested him (or attempted to), according to the law. As far as the shooting goes, obviously the cop will be considered "executioner" unless it is shown he acted within the law.

A lot of you guys are really looking at this in hindsight. As OS explained to a fan, the cops never expected Brooks to fight and run, and certainly not with a deadly weapon (taser is considered a "deadly weapon" in GA I believe). He caught them completely off guard with his schizo eruption. You can't somehow equate the cop's mindset before Brook's resisted arrest and after he assaulted them.

Here what the “book” says:

Use of Deadly Force
(CALEA 6th ed. Standard 4.2.1)
An employee may use deadly force to apprehend a suspected felon only when:

1. He or she reasonably believes that the suspect possesses a deadly weapon or any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury and when he or she reasonably believes that the suspect poses an immediate threat of serious bodily injury to the officer or others; or

2. When there is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed a crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm (O.C.G.A. Section 17-4-20) and the employee reasonably believes that the suspect’s escape would create a continuing danger of serious physical harm to any person

You are wrong.
Maybe.

1. Brooks stole and attempted to use a taser

2. Brooks was DUI and could have caused harm if released (IMO, that was the cop's mindset before Brooks assaulted them)
That’s what Old Salt speculated. What do you think?
It's right in front of your circular red nose Krusty. Early today I wrote what is for me a long post stating my thoughts re the case. Is that similar to OS's ideas?...if so, that's great!... I think he's a really smart guy.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, like when you repeated the history of Aunt Jemima the other day after I had already posted it?
So original on your part :roll:
It’s a pattern for you.....That’s why I noticed it. If you stated it before Old Salt, I missed it. That’s my fault.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

This will rock the local Baltimore area private school scene. Parents, students and the schools themselves. I would bet someone has already verified that the accusation is a fact.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

BTW TLD, this is what I found online and confirms what I posted this morning ;)

Per Georgia Law, a taser is classified as a “less-lethal” FIREARM as they do occasionally cause death. ... Statutorily, this is no different than firing a gun.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:41 pm BTW TLD, this is what I found online and confirms what I posted this morning ;)

Per Georgia Law, a taser is classified as a “less-lethal” FIREARM as they do occasionally cause death. ... Statutorily, this is no different than firing a gun.
So is a fork.

“From 2015 to 2020, police in Georgia have shot and killed 182 people, according to The Washington Post’s Fatal Force tracker.

In that time, only one Georgia officer has been charged with murder. In 2016, a grand jury indicted DeKalb County police officer Robert Olsen for fatally shooting a naked and unarmed US Air Force veteran the year prior.”
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

This is an interesting read, from someone who saw the world change with the fall of the Iron Curtain.

"The sight of tumbling statues in the American South is giving me déjà vu for similar scenes that played out across Eastern Europe 30 years ago.

We are living in a time of rapid and long-overdue change. And one of those changes is the removal of racist Confederate symbols from the public spaces of the USA. While the majority of Americans support this trend, a few holdouts say they're worried that taking down these statues will cause us to forget our history. Fortunately, Hungary came up with a solution a long time ago. Read on."

https://blog.ricksteves.com/cameron/202 ... y-statues/
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Great post by CU77 - cross posted from SCOTUS thread.

viewtopic.php?p=158851#p158851

PS: He is a lot quicker on the uptake than he lets on! :lol:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:44 pm
tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:41 pm BTW TLD, this is what I found online and confirms what I posted this morning ;)

So is a fork.

“From 2015 to 2020, police in Georgia have shot and killed 182 people, according to The Washington Post’s Fatal Force tracker.

In that time, only one Georgia officer has been charged with murder. In 2016, a grand jury indicted DeKalb County police officer Robert Olsen for fatally shooting a naked and unarmed US Air Force veteran the year prior.”
:roll: Fork... unbelievable
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:08 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:48 pm Nah....it sounds better to say BLM is anti-father and Black people rely on the government to raise their kids.
Who's saying that ? Are you hearing voices again ? We're all citing examples of extended family members helping poor & working class nuclear families succeed without needing to pay to outsource parental responsibilities.

In their literature, BLM is discounting the value of the nuclear family. It's part of the ongoing campaign to remove any stigma from single parenthood when the single mother is not equipped financially or personally to give their children what they need to succeed.

Single motherhood is hardly limited to black women.
And the stigma should indeed be removed, as it's been a means to oppress women for a long time.

BLM is recognizing reality and calling for extended family and community responsibility, rather than simply the old patriarchal model.

But, yeah, it's not about race, it's about justice.
Where BLM is putting it's own flavor on this, in some sense related to race and culture, is the notion that there's another heritage in their ancestry that is different from the "Western" model. True and indeed an interesting lens.
.. what I don't understand is what there is to not understand. What is so hard about the concept. BLM and many others (pretty much everyone) in the social justice space acknowledges and respects the differing family structures, they are not insisting on one and only one structure. That is the position of the right wing (many). It has to be the traditional family to be sanctioned. There is no other way. Which is clearly non-sense and will never happen. The poor require the flexibility. The wealthier among us can afford the deluxe model.

I'd really love to hear how the believers that it has to be the traditional family or nothing are going to enforce that.
There used to be a social stigma to pregnancy before marriage. That wasn't just for moral or religious reasons. It was our society being rational & pragmatic, socially enforcing a code of responsibility on new mothers (& fathers). Perverse incentives in Great Society benefits encouraged single motherhood. BLM's disavowing the nuclear family is just another step toward normalizing & rationalizing single motherhood -- regardless of the ability of the single mothers to adequately care for their children without offloading the responsibility upon a community which had no say in the decision to being her children into the world.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:44 pm

So is a fork.

:roll: Fork... unbelievable
A fork isn’t less lethal..?

https://www.atlantapd.org/Home/ShowDocument?id=3273

Shooting a guy in the back is brave. Rolfe must have been scares shirtless.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Wait a second. You wanted the cops to let Mr Brooks go & walk home.
You wouldn't volunteer to serve the warrant the next day ?
...after the birthday party of course. The Mayor would be happy to go along.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:09 pm

You think Rolfe will collect his pension?
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:10 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:09 pm

You think Rolfe will collect his pension?
No. He probably realizes that he's forever a marked man & will never work in law enforcement again (like Darren Wilson the Ferguson cop).
He probably just hopes to stay out of jail. If exonerated, he'll be doxed by the BLM/woke mob & any employer would be afraid to hire him.
He'd have to relocate, change his name, grow hair & a beard. Maybe Rudy or Bernie would give him a private security job. He's a good shot when running.

Return to “POLITICS”