Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Racism in America- Week 4 of Unrest

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:38 pm
You have no clue.

You ever seen the Piccirilli Brothers Lincoln in the Lincoln memorial. Took 4 years to sculpt

19'5 ft high Jefferson by Rudolf Evans at The Jefferson Memorial dedicated by FDR

Nah those aren't works of art.

No human ever does anything that needs rememberance or reverence. Especially white guys.
I thought you were against our government spending money on the arts?

You are an onion, my friend. ;)
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 pm "By removing qualified immunity, what you're doing is essentially not allowing police to do their job," White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany. "Taking away qualified immunity would make this country much less safe."

Police can’t do their job without violating the Constitution and people’s rights?
Qualified immunity only protects police who *have* violated someone’s rights.
How does allowing them to violate rights with impunity make anyone safer?
You do understand the concept of indemnity, don't you? Whatever police department the police officer works for takes on the responsibility for the acts of individual officers. How much did Freddie Gray's settlement by the City of Baltimore amount to? Same thing for corporate boards, who buy Director's and Officer's Liability Insurance against wrongful acts by board members and officers. Depending on states they pay on behalf or indemnify the defendant (meaning if there is a judgement they reimburse the director or officer for the judgement plus legal expenses). Without it, no corporate boards.

Because of defense costs alone, no officer could possibly serve and afford to defend themselves against even charges that don't involve use of force. I don't anticipate the "LP Lawyers Club" to offer Pro Bono legal services to cops. Your pool of potential officers would be miniscule. You could expect tons of frivolous lawsuits from activists just wanting to hassle individual officers and reduce the police's role in the community.

The Law of Unintended Consequences is almost as immutable as the Law of Gravity. I wonder in this case, however, if it is unintended.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 pm "By removing qualified immunity, what you're doing is essentially not allowing police to do their job," White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany. "Taking away qualified immunity would make this country much less safe."

Police can’t do their job without violating the Constitution and people’s rights?
She is a woman of faith. Can’t you see?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:47 pm

You do understand the concept of indemnity, don't you? Whatever police department the police officer works for takes on the responsibility for the acts of individual officers. How much did Freddie Gray's settlement by the City of Baltimore amount to? Same thing for corporate boards, who buy Director's and Officer's Liability Insurance against wrongful acts by board members and officers. Depending on states they pay on behalf or indemnify the defendant (meaning if there is a judgement they reimburse the director or officer for the judgement plus legal expenses). Without it, no corporate boards.

Because of defense costs alone, no officer could possibly serve and afford to defend themselves against even charges that don't involve use of force. I don't anticipate the "LP Lawyers Club" to offer Pro Bono legal services to cops. Your pool of potential officers would be miniscule. You could expect tons of frivolous lawsuits from activists just wanting to hassle individual officers and reduce the police's role in the community.

The Law of Unintended Consequences is almost as immutable as the Law of Gravity. I wonder in this case, however, if it is unintended.
Are you confusing or interchanging indemnity and immunity?
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

… its the start. A negotiating position.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:57 pm

… its the start. A negotiating position.

A good point. And I could probably see myself coming around to not offering it in cases of a wrongful death. But not for just everyday acts of policing. Recent events illustrate the need to encourage restraint, not in the sense of a chokehold but restraint of action against a person that is not commensurate with the offense or the situation.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
old salt

Post by old salt »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 am
get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:40 am So what would you call this? Is this racism? According to some on this site, no. I am sure the kid sitting on the bench is at fault. I was there two weeks ago today. People were smiling and happy to be out and about. This has been building and I fear it will escalate. The constant put down of whites as racists by the dominant media and political culture has led to a sense that whites are fair game since they bear the sins of their forefathers. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/0 ... mob-video/
I am ready to take all the slings and arrows from the FLP cumquats on this forum. Here we go... what exactly is systemic racism and how is it defined? I read about it every day in the paper and ad nauseum on the news. I lived my entire life until 2009 in the City of Rochester NY. I lived on Kislingbury St in the middle of the 10th ward in the Maplewood neighborhood of good old Rochester. My family owned a big beautiful double house. My family lived upstairs, my grandparents lived downstairs. Big house, 7 bedrooms 2 kitchens, 3 bathrooms that is counting up and down. My sister called the 10th ward the Catholic ghetto. Middle class mostly white Germans, Italians and Irish. We all went to Holy Rosary church. We all struggled financially. Nobody in my neighborhood except those folks that lived on Seneca Parkway had any money. We all did the best we could. My mom worked nights at the phone company, my dad worked 6 days a week as a tool and die maker.

Fast forward to 2009. The neighborhood was no longer the Catholic ghetto. Holy Rosary church was long gone. BTW, that is the same church that Robert Duffy went to. If none of you know who Bob Duffy is I will post a link when I am done. In 2009 my neighborhood had changed quite a bit. Everybody was tired of the ineptitude of the people running the city of Rochester and those that could afford it got the hell out. Those big beautiful houses had all become rental property. Often times the owners did not even live in NYS. That explains why they did not care about upkeep on their property. I loved my neighborhood, I loved it with all of my heart. I spent my life there, I sometimes drive by my old house and get depressed at the disrepair it is in. The straw that broke the camels back for me was when Latasha Shaw was beaten to death by an angry mob in the middle of Driving Park Ave. 50 people witnessed her murder and nobody would stand up and testify. Everybody knows who did it... BUT DON"T SNITCH.

My goal was to get the house fixed up and have my wife move in from where we now live in Irondequoit. My wife told me that was not going to happen. So this white guy reluctantly sold the house he loved and moved to the burbs. To my astonishment that now makes me guilty of systemic racism. A white guy living in the burbs while the folks the live in the troubled spots in Rochester suffer all because of what I have done. What the F**K did I do. The guilty people here are the people running the city I loved my whole life who allowed conditions to become unbearable for anybody to want to live there. I will do anything in my power to help the people in the city that I grew up in do better in their lives. I will be damned if I will be labeled a part of the problem just because I am a white guy living in the burbs. I wish we could all just find a way to help the people who need it without having to blame other folks for the cause of our troubles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Duffy_(politician)
That sounds exactly like the experiences of my wife's father & 2 old maid school teacher aunts. They grew up in a lovely 2 story modest home in south St Louis on Grand Ave. All the houses on the block were the same. Built on raised lots above street level. Open front porches, alleyway in the back. Big fenced back yards with victory gardens that continued long past "the war". Her dad & 2 aunts grew up in that house. The aunts stayed on, caring for their mom. They stuck it out for as long as they could as the neighborhood devolved. The finally gave in when there was an upstairs break in while they were downstairs. They finally moved when they feared for their safety. They were fortunate to find a similar home a couple miles south in an area which had not yet devolved but lost all the value in their family home. I had a great aunt & uncle who lived in a similar house & neighborhood in the inner St Louis Co suburb of Clayton. I remember what great neighborhoods they used to be.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:16 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 am
get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:40 am So what would you call this? Is this racism? According to some on this site, no. I am sure the kid sitting on the bench is at fault. I was there two weeks ago today. People were smiling and happy to be out and about. This has been building and I fear it will escalate. The constant put down of whites as racists by the dominant media and political culture has led to a sense that whites are fair game since they bear the sins of their forefathers. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/0 ... mob-video/
I am ready to take all the slings and arrows from the FLP cumquats on this forum. Here we go... what exactly is systemic racism and how is it defined? I read about it every day in the paper and ad nauseum on the news. I lived my entire life until 2009 in the City of Rochester NY. I lived on Kislingbury St in the middle of the 10th ward in the Maplewood neighborhood of good old Rochester. My family owned a big beautiful double house. My family lived upstairs, my grandparents lived downstairs. Big house, 7 bedrooms 2 kitchens, 3 bathrooms that is counting up and down. My sister called the 10th ward the Catholic ghetto. Middle class mostly white Germans, Italians and Irish. We all went to Holy Rosary church. We all struggled financially. Nobody in my neighborhood except those folks that lived on Seneca Parkway had any money. We all did the best we could. My mom worked nights at the phone company, my dad worked 6 days a week as a tool and die maker.

Fast forward to 2009. The neighborhood was no longer the Catholic ghetto. Holy Rosary church was long gone. BTW, that is the same church that Robert Duffy went to. If none of you know who Bob Duffy is I will post a link when I am done. In 2009 my neighborhood had changed quite a bit. Everybody was tired of the ineptitude of the people running the city of Rochester and those that could afford it got the hell out. Those big beautiful houses had all become rental property. Often times the owners did not even live in NYS. That explains why they did not care about upkeep on their property. I loved my neighborhood, I loved it with all of my heart. I spent my life there, I sometimes drive by my old house and get depressed at the disrepair it is in. The straw that broke the camels back for me was when Latasha Shaw was beaten to death by an angry mob in the middle of Driving Park Ave. 50 people witnessed her murder and nobody would stand up and testify. Everybody knows who did it... BUT DON"T SNITCH.

My goal was to get the house fixed up and have my wife move in from where we now live in Irondequoit. My wife told me that was not going to happen. So this white guy reluctantly sold the house he loved and moved to the burbs. To my astonishment that now makes me guilty of systemic racism. A white guy living in the burbs while the folks the live in the troubled spots in Rochester suffer all because of what I have done. What the F**K did I do. The guilty people here are the people running the city I loved my whole life who allowed conditions to become unbearable for anybody to want to live there. I will do anything in my power to help the people in the city that I grew up in do better in their lives. I will be damned if I will be labeled a part of the problem just because I am a white guy living in the burbs. I wish we could all just find a way to help the people who need it without having to blame other folks for the cause of our troubles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Duffy_(politician)
That sounds exactly like the experiences of my wife's father & 2 old maid school teacher aunts. They grew up in a lovely 2 story modest home in south St Louis on Grand Ave. All the houses on the block were the same. Built on raised lots above street level. Open front porches, alleyway in the back. Big fenced back yards with victory gardens that continued long past "the war". Her dad & 2 aunts grew up in that house. The aunts stayed on, caring for their mom. They stuck it out for as long as they could as the neighborhood devolved. The finally gave in when there was an upstairs break in while they were downstairs. They finally moved when they feared for their safety. They were fortunate to find a similar home a couple miles south in an area which had not yet devolved but lost all the value in their family home. I had a great aunt & uncle who lived in a similar house & neighborhood in the inner St Louis Co suburb of Clayton. I remember what great neighborhoods they used to be.
They sold the house for $0?
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

Atlanta cop two (Brosnan) now says he isn’t cooperating with authorities. Likely got pressure from other cops. I suspect at the end of the day he will flip. Authorities have pretty good leverage on him considering his conduct.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Father of 3 near Howard U gunned down. Working hard to support his family, moving up the ladder. Tragic.

https://wjla.com/news/local/dc-family-h ... -from-work
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

gov. northam wants to have a chat. see if you can find the irony in his quote: https://www.msnbc.com/craig-melvin/watc ... 5236293785
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:43 pm Father of 3 near Howard U gunned down.
Yes, there are bad people (of all races) in the world who do very bad things.

Why this was posted on the racism thread, though, is a mystery.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Another bad thing that happened recently, that is actually relevant to this thread:
A California man charged with killing a federal officer and a sheriff's deputy has ties to the far-right "Boogaloo" movement, according to federal authorities.

Air Force Staff Sgt. Steven Carrillo, 32, was charged with killing federal service officer David Patrick Underwood, 53, near a Black Lives Matter protest at an Oakland courthouse on May 29, the Department of Justice announced on Tuesday.

Carrillo faces federal murder charges in Underwood's death, as well as an attempted murder charge after allegedly severely wounding a fellow federal officer at the courthouse. Both officers were members of Homeland Security's Federal Protective Service.

A second man, Robert Alvin Justus Jr., was charged with aiding and abetting after he admitted to serving as Carrillo's getaway driver in the drive-by attack on the officers, according to the FBI. Justus used the phrase "let's boogie," a reference to the far-right "Boogaloo boys" movement, in messages sent to Carrillo, the complaint said.

Inside the vehicles used by Carrillo, police found a patch linked to the "Boogaloo boys" movement, as well as bomb making equipment, ammo and guns, the FBI said. The movement seeks to use peaceful protests as cover to launch attacks in hopes of sparking a race war.
https://www.salon.com/2020/06/17/far-ri ... osecutors/
Typical Lax Dad

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:43 pm Father of 3 near Howard U gunned down.

Because so long as blacks kill blacks, you can’t bring up racism. UCONN student went on killing spree a couple of weeks ago. I meant to post it here.

https://www.boston.com/news/crime/2020/ ... aigned/amp
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 pm

Only a mystery if you don’t ask. Because there is not a prejudice thread.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU77

Post by CU77 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:00 pmOnly a mystery if you don’t ask. Because there is not a prejudice thread.
Wut? This makes no sense at all.
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:41 pm Because so long as blacks kill blacks, you can’t bring up racism.
I suppose that's it.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

UNLV rebel statue comes down, and admin considers changing mascot: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... e-protests

UVa athletics logo has traces of slavery: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/uva-c ... index.html

Last edited by ChairmanOfTheBoard on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
old salt

Post by old salt »

njbill wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:18 pm Atlanta cop two (Brosnan) now says he isn’t cooperating with authorities. Likely got pressure from other cops. I suspect at the end of the day he will flip. Authorities have pretty good leverage on him considering his conduct.
This is a dog & pony show to quiet the mob & buy time before they burn down Atlanta.
DA Howard says it won't even go to a grand jury until Jan or Feb.
This will fall apart like the Freddie Gray case did.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Not sure what this is, other than interesting.

Shooting in New Mexico over a commemorative statue of 400 year old events. Plenty of video is available of the event and easy to find.

A protestor was shot, presumably an individual of American Indian decent. The shooter and his gun carrying right wing militia (as best I can tell - they were identified as such) compatriots were arrested. It would appear the individual shot was responsible for starting a confrontation with the shooter. What is interesting is the causa belli. The protestors were there to teardown the statue of a Mexican conquistador who figured prominently in the founding of New Mexico 400 years ago. The conquistador (Juan de Oñate y Salazar) has no claim to being an American, he was very much anti-Pueblo Indian committing numerous atrocities, the most famous of which was cutting a foot off of every male member of a particular Pueblo tribe. There are two statues too him in New Mexico, the second had been brought down that same day in a different location. These statues have been controversial since before they were erected.

So my question is, why would an American right wing militia group have any interest in preserving a statue of a Mexican war criminal from 400 years ago. They have developed a sudden fondness for Mexicans? They have a fondness for 400 year old war criminals? They are descendants of Onate y Salazar? Far from clear.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don’t think so. Kicking the guy after he shot him is a really, really bad fact in front of a jury. This guy ain’t getting off. He won’t get the death penalty, and shouldn’t, but he’s going away for a loooong time.

When things quiet down, the other cop will flip. In return for his testimony, they will either drop the charges or recommend no jail time. If this guy hadn’t stood on Brooks after he was shot, he probably wouldn’t have been charged at all.

What kind of human beings are these guys to kick and stand on someone after one of them has just shot him?

Maybe there are some facts out there that haven’t been disclosed that are helpful to the cops, but they better get their PR machines moving quickly because today was devastating to them.

Return to “POLITICS”