Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:13 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:07 pm can we get a ruling on this: https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/influence ... rt-of-blm/
I think we should let them argue it out...lots and lots of learning to be had on all sides

I feel like a couple of folks here at Fanlax may have donned blackface in their lives, and as is always the case, look to those who constantly, loudly, incessantly, obnoxiously claim others are racist to see who I'm referring to.
That's certainly quite the accusation, PB. :roll:
Obviously with zero basis, so clearly just trolling yet again.
or projection?
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:38 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:54 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:15 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:01 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:58 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:48 pm Vote Vets with a new ad:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/12 ... mp4?tag=10
Please... What a ridiculous analogy :roll:
Is it?

Or would the Germans have a Himmler base?
Another absurd analogy. You're seriously wanting to compare Confederate generals to Himmler? Okay I'm wasting my time here...
Tell me, what would have happened to American slaves if those Confederate Generals had won the war? And what about America itself? Bye, bye, Constitution.

And yet you think people are crazy for questioning why the heck we are celebrating these men?

Come on. If you have a different view, fine...but don't gaslight people for questioning why we are celebrating people who went to war to maintain slavery, and to dismantle the American government.
Gaslighting my a$$...you do it constantly on here. Don't try to come off again as some sort of board altruist.

This country has elected a black POTUS and then reelected him for an additional four years, and yet, everyone is acting as though, we as a country haven't evolved one fraction since the Civil War. You dudes need a serious context adjustment.

Himmler, Bin Laden, et al...hyperbolic BS at its worst! It's all a lie...
Who said we haven’t moved at all?
All of this outrage against history is ginned up by people seeking to divide us. Why not get our bearings on how to treat each other today? Not 5, or 10 or 25 or 50 years ago. Trump is going to surprise some people with his minority numbers. Safety is a big deal to most minority families. So is opportunity. So is school choice. Looking back only set's you back.
Trumps’s numbers with African American women are abysmal. He is awful. I don’t know any black people that like him. The people that gave him the benefit of the doubt have realized he is a fraud. Black and white people.
You mean because more of them had jobs than ever before they dislike him. Thats racist.
njbill

Post by njbill »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:21 pm Trump is going to surprise some people with his minority numbers. Safety is a big deal to most minority families.
Whether people will be surprised depends on their expectations. Biden will do better than Hillary with black voters, and probably a lot better if he selects a black woman as his VP, though not as well as Obama. As a result, Trump will not do as well with black voters as he did in 2016.

In terms of safety, would you rather pick the chaos candidate who advocates violence and flames racial tensions or someone who will be a calming influence and will attempt to bring the country together? If you think Trump’s message of racism and violence appeals to black voters, I think you are in for a big surprise.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:51 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:21 pm Trump is going to surprise some people with his minority numbers. Safety is a big deal to most minority families.
Whether people will be surprised depends on their expectations. Biden will do better than Hillary with black voters, and probably a lot better if he selects a black woman as his VP, though not as well as Obama. As a result, Trump will not do as well with black voters as he did in 2016.

In terms of safety, would you rather pick the chaos candidate who advocates violence and flames racial tensions or someone who will be a calming influence and will attempt to bring the country together? If you think Trump’s message of racism and violence appeals to black voters, I think you are in for a big surprise.
Yeh black people LOVE SLEEPY JOE

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/27/harris- ... nists.html

Kamala Harris attacks Joe Biden’s record on busing and working with segregationists in vicious exchange at Democratic debate
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Black Small business owners standing in the rubble of their looted and burned out stores will certainly go for the democrats DEFUND THE POLICE.

That poor elderly black woman I saw weeping not knowing where she was going to get her food or drugs since the thugs burned out the local stores. Im sure she'll vote for liberal progressive democrats coddling and encouraging the looters.
Last edited by 6ftstick on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:51 pm

The MSM media says Antifa doesn’t exist.

List all those media sources which make that denial.

This will also be a long wait ....
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 am
Cooter wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:14 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:08 am Tell Brook we got another white surpremacist caught! Lighting five cop cars while showing your tats isn't a good recipe for staying out of federal prison.

https://usagag.com/25-year-old-antifa-m ... -vehicles/

Oh wait, sorry, wrong affiliation! My apologies.

:lol:
She will probably get 5 years probation and a $500 fine. :P

I think she should at least have to pay for the vehicles.
I'd bet on some jail time and a substantial fine.

But as this wasn't a building with someone inside (much more serious), she may get this negotiated down to restitution. Yup, cost of vehicles. Which, though that's a tidy sum, she could undoubtedly raise.

Glad they caught her.
Of course, I think she should really get about 20 years in jail.
Each cop car could be considered a separate case of arson.
The way she willfully burned five cars makes it look particularly heinous.
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:38 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:54 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:15 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:01 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:58 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:48 pm Vote Vets with a new ad:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/12 ... mp4?tag=10
Please... What a ridiculous analogy :roll:
Is it?

Or would the Germans have a Himmler base?
Another absurd analogy. You're seriously wanting to compare Confederate generals to Himmler? Okay I'm wasting my time here...
Tell me, what would have happened to American slaves if those Confederate Generals had won the war? And what about America itself? Bye, bye, Constitution.

And yet you think people are crazy for questioning why the heck we are celebrating these men?

Come on. If you have a different view, fine...but don't gaslight people for questioning why we are celebrating people who went to war to maintain slavery, and to dismantle the American government.
Gaslighting my a$$...you do it constantly on here. Don't try to come off again as some sort of board altruist.

This country has elected a black POTUS and then reelected him for an additional four years, and yet, everyone is acting as though, we as a country haven't evolved one fraction since the Civil War. You dudes need a serious context adjustment.

Himmler, Bin Laden, et al...hyperbolic BS at its worst! It's all a lie...
Who said we haven’t moved at all?
All of this outrage against history is ginned up by people seeking to divide us. Why not get our bearings on how to treat each other today? Not 5, or 10 or 25 or 50 years ago. Trump is going to surprise some people with his minority numbers. Safety is a big deal to most minority families. So is opportunity. So is school choice. Looking back only set's you back.
Trumps’s numbers with African American women are abysmal. He is awful. I don’t know any black people that like him. The people that gave him the benefit of the doubt have realized he is a fraud. Black and white people.
You mean because more of them had jobs than ever before they dislike him. Thats racist.
Who has he hired?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Black Small business owners standing in the rubble of their looted and burned out stores will certainly go for the democrats DEFUND THE POLICE.

That poor elderly black woman I saw weeping not knowing where she was going to get her food or drugs since the thugs burned out the local stores. Im sure she'll vote for liberal progressive democrats coddling and encouraging the looters.
I wonder if this guy will vote for Trump?
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/11/busines ... lized.html
“I wish you would!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:21 pm Not so ridiculous. The point is that there are bases named after people who fought for what we oppose and, thankfully, lost. None the less, the bases are named after them? It doesn't make sense...
I suppose that an arguement could be made for the idea that the base naming at one point in our history as an attempt to unify a nation long splintered by a vicious civil war, but the unwitting institutionalization of racism by doing so clearly wasn't on the nations mind at the time. It certainly is now, and no better time to right the long standing wrong of accommodating racial injustice than the present.
Typical Lax Dad

Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6ftstick,

Name those democrats.

This will be a long wait as well ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/04/black-a ... d-low.html

There have never been more Black and Hispanic Americans in the workforce, Friday’s Labor Department job report showed.
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:40 pm
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/04/black-a ... d-low.html

There have never been more Black and Hispanic Americans in the workforce, Friday’s Labor Department job report showed.
It has been an 11 year trend. Good thing Trump didn’t reverse it although the rate if improvement slowed. Who has he hired?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ness-falls

I am sure you are helping by hiring qualified black candidates. How many have you hired?
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

Hmm. Buying votes? I guess that’s legal if Trump does it, right?
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:35 am Article in the Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ear-kente/

"My traditional cloth is not a prop.

On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and other members of the Democratic congressional leadership knelt for eight minutes and 46 seconds in tribute to the death of George Floyd. The kneeling was an appropriate gesture, but wearing African kente stoles, at that moment, was not.

Kente cloth is a traditional handwoven fabric that comes from the Akan peoples of Ghana. My father and half-brothers were born in Ghana, and my family has shaped my understanding of kente cloth.

My late grandfather’s kente cloth has hung in my parents’ living room for decades. The colorful, hand-woven fabric, in a design called Aberewa Bene (wise old lady), serves a dual purpose for us. It is the background for years of family photos. For visitors, the kente is a declaration of our family’s Ghanaian heritage. My father’s father died before I was born, but his cloth has allowed me to feel his presence throughout my life.

At my wedding, I asked my father and brothers to wear similar kente cloth robes as they walked down the aisle. And during my daughter’s outdooring, or naming ceremony, she was draped in yellow cloth as she was introduced to our community.

Those are the proper places for kente cloth. Monday’s display was an incorrect use, however well-intentioned. If you’re going to appropriate my culture, at least learn exactly what it is.

Last year, Ghana commemorated the 400th anniversary of the forced exodus of enslaved Africans to the United States. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus were among those who traveled to Ghana to commemorate the occasion, where they received kente cloths. In a similar gesture, the CBC provided kente cloths to fellow Democrats for Monday’s announcement of a police reform bill.

This was not the first time that members of the black caucus had worn kente cloths. “We have been wearing and displaying the kente cloth for a long time,” Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), chair of the caucus, told me. “Since [President] Trump, it has become a symbol of protest about his racist depiction of Africa. On Monday, we wore the kente because we felt that after 49 years [since the caucus was formed], we were finally getting legislation about police abuse.”

I get it. I have seen kente cloth worn at the State of the Union and other events as a badge of solidarity or respect — but Monday’s performance felt different. My first reaction to seeing the pictures of the lawmakers kneeling with kente stoles around their necks was of shock and confusion. The message that a kente cloth conveys did not match the kneeling or moment of silence.

The word “kente” derives from the expression “kea ԑnte,” meaning “no matter how hard you try, it won’t tear.” These cloths have specific names and convey unspoken yet strong messages. The stoles worn by the group were strips of a much larger fabric that is customarily worn in times of celebration.

Indeed, Democrats wrapped themselves in the colorful, bright kente, which can be considered inappropriate or insulting for somber moments. A more appropriate traditional cloth for death, especially a violent death, is a red and black adinkra cloth. If the lawmakers wanted a culturally authentic acknowledgment of the vile and inhumane death of George Floyd, they could have worn that cloth — or, better yet, simply worn red.

I am fortunate to be able to call relatives to discuss the history and importance of these symbols and how they relate to our culture. My family has a direct connection to my history that has been denied to many African Americans.

When enslaved Africans were brought to this country, they were stripped of their language and culture. Some elements survived, and traces are evident in the Gullah language and some “Southern” recipes. But so much more was lost. Broader use of the kente cloth in recent years has been part of some African Americans’ efforts to reclaim a lost heritage as well as a source of pride and connection to their African roots.

Every moment that features a kente cloth is not an affront. The cloths have been and will continue to be appropriated and mass-produced. I am proud that my traditional cloth has helped others feel connected to their ancestral home. I wouldn’t want the reactions to this episode to force others to not wear kente during celebratory occasions.

But at a time of national reflection, which includes a dialogue on what it is like to be black in the United States, congressional and all leaders need to be more sensitive about the messages they send, intentional or not.

This moment is a teachable one. America is at a crossroads, as many seek to acknowledge historical wrongs and injustices against African Americans. We cannot afford to remain ignorant of the richness and complexity of our heritage and roots
."
I think it ironic when reading this article that some have been discussing whether we should remove statues and rename military bases in an effort to eliminate our history as it relates to the Civil War and slavery. The author writes of the history of the Akan people, going to Africa to commemorate the anniversary of the forced exodus of slaves to America, the loss of their culture and history. Perhaps the author will choose another opportunity for a teachable moment by addressing the historical wrongs and injustices perpetrated by the very ancestors mentioned in the article when they enslaved other Africans and helped drive the slave trade.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Boris Johnson encourages his fellow Brits not to attend BLM demonstrations.
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:58 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:33 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:20 pm Nice call Nancy, anyone wearing kente cloth who is not of Ghanaian heritage is an appropriator.
The kente cloth was the idea of the Congressional Black Caucus, who gave them to Nancy et al. Blame them.
And the writer of the Times article that I posted is hardly withering or hostile. He views it as a misunderstanding. But OS, in his divine way, has to place the spin he needs to keep supporting the Right, Trump and the withering away of institutions and normative values in our country. Soon you will be able to change your little tag line: you stood against America when it mattered.
So you don't respect his objection to that use of kente cloth ?
You can't understand, you're coming at this from a position of white privilege.
Nancy & Chuck must apologize & atone for their insensitivity.
You must have skipped this part of the NYT excerpt you quoted :
My first reaction to seeing the pictures of the lawmakers kneeling with kente stoles around their necks was of shock and confusion. The message that a kente cloth conveys did not match the kneeling or moment of silence.

The stoles worn by the group were strips of a much larger fabric that is customarily worn in times of celebration.
Indeed, Democrats wrapped themselves in the colorful, bright kente, which can be considered inappropriate or insulting for somber moments.
I wouldn’t want the reactions to this episode to force others to not wear kente during celebratory occasions.

But at a time of national reflection, which includes a dialogue on what it is like to be black in the United States, congressional and all leaders need to be more sensitive about the messages they send, intentional or not.

This moment is a teachable one. America is at a crossroads, as many seek to acknowledge historical wrongs and injustices against African Americans. We cannot afford to remain ignorant of the richness and complexity of our heritage and roots."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I bet she is a Repuke in good standing with the local GOP:

Attorney who spit on teen at George Floyd protest charged with hate crime

https://www.cbs58.com/news/attorney-who ... hate-crime

A 64-year-old woman accused of spitting on a teen during a Black Lives Matter protest in Shorewood, has been officially charged.
Stephanie Rapkin -- a Mequon-based tax and estate attorney -- was charged with a hate crime of disorderly conduct.

However, 17-year-old Eric Lucas and his family don't feel that's good enough. “It’s extremely disappointing. You would think the charges would be more harsh,” he said.

Lucas' attorney, Matthew Pinix, said the charges aren't fair. “The only thing the DA’s office can charge 'em with is disorderly conduct, which is a crime you can get for just shouting in a public place. That seems unequitable.”

Return to “POLITICS”