Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:41 pm I think one would be justified in feeling as if they were wronged in the education they were given about our history in grades 1-12. An awful lot of details were left out, really is a slanted story which isn't all that accurate. Pilgrims came over and had dinner with the Indians and that all worked out pretty good. North and the South fought the Civil War which freed the slaves so that all worked out pretty good too. That's pretty much it in a nutshell....oh, and here's your diploma.
If you were a black guy in and Union Army and a black guy in the Confederate Army, your experience was different:

https://acwm.org/blog/myths-misundersta ... federates/
“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

CU77 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:33 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:20 pm Nice call Nancy, anyone wearing kente cloth who is not of Ghanaian heritage is an appropriator.
The kente cloth was the idea of the Congressional Black Caucus, who gave them to Nancy et al. Blame them.
And the writer of the Times article that I posted is hardly withering or hostile. He views it as a misunderstanding. But OS, in his divine way, has to place the spin he needs to keep supporting the Right, Trump and the withering away of institutions and normative values in our country. Soon you will be able to change your little tag line: you stood against America when it mattered.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

PB is always trolling about some perceived Lefty conspiracy - how about this story about how the fear of antifa is making the right crazy:
Rubio Adds to Viral Freak Out Over Hippie Jugglers Mistaken for Antifa Invaders
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/ru ... a-invaders
I love this story. It’s an amazing story, which is part of the suburban Antifa invasion genre but takes it in an interesting and novel direction. We start in Columbus, Ohio, another city with BLM protests and what is probably best described as an old school hippie bus with all the flowery freeform murals and the like. It’s the home of a group of street circus performers who do something called Flow Art which the paper calls “an umbrella term for a type of street performance that usually involves juggling and spinning flaming objects.” I just learned about Flow Art. Maybe you already know about it. The troupe call their bus Buttercup. Fair enough. The bus is co-owned by Marisa “Reese” Digati and her partner, Jonathan “Bearpaw” Crane. They live in the bus.

The crew heads down at the protests and they get stopped by the Columbus police SWAT Team. It’s a bit tense but it ends up being a pretty low key affair. They’re detained for about 45 minutes but just sitting on the curb, no zip ties or handcuffs. Here’s a video one of the jugglers took from inside the bus. According to the jugglers, the cops made clear they weren’t in trouble and hadn’t done anything wrong. They just had to leave downtown. The bus was impounded. The circus folk left and picked up the bus the next day from the impound lot. So far it’s like just another day at the intersection of militarized policing and urban hippiedom. No one’s really the worse for wear.

Then it gets weird.

The next day Columbus police went on Facebook to announce they’d finally caught one of those Antifa invasion buses red handed.
According to the Flow Art jugglers all these claims are bogus. On Facebook Digati said: “The ‘weapons’ that were found are tools. Axes for my wood stove, knives for cooking, etc. … The ‘riot gear’ was literally a child’s shoulder pads, elbow, and knee pads for sports.” Another member of the troupe chimed in: “Yeah, there’s a hatchet on the bus — with a bunch of wood sitting next to a wood-burning stove. Well, duh. The rocks were crystals and fossils. They emptied out a knife block [from the kitchen area] and said they found a meat cleaver.”

But the damage had been done. The Columbus police department post made the rounds as confirmation of the Antifa invasion rumors swirling around the country – seemingly first concocted by a faux “antifa” site run by white supremacists and possibly amplified by Russia bots.

Then Marco Rubio got involved.
Screenshot_2020-06-12 Rubio Adds to Viral Freak Out Over Hippie Jugglers Mistaken for Antifa Invaders.png
Screenshot_2020-06-12 Rubio Adds to Viral Freak Out Over Hippie Jugglers Mistaken for Antifa Invaders.png (122.54 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
According to the juggler squad they’ve been repeatedly harassed since the social media posts went viral as terrorized Fox News watchers spot the bus and mobilize their defense.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

tech37

Post by tech37 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:48 pm Vote Vets with a new ad:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/12 ... mp4?tag=10
Please... What a ridiculous analogy :roll:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:41 pm I think one would be justified in feeling as if they were wronged in the education they were given about our history in grades 1-12. An awful lot of details were left out, really is a slanted story which isn't all that accurate. Pilgrims came over and had dinner with the Indians and that all worked out pretty good. North and the South fought the Civil War which freed the slaves so that all worked out pretty good too. That's pretty much it in a nutshell....oh, and here's your diploma.
Things are a little better now than in our day. My daughter (class of 2008) was assigned Howard Zinn's A People's History of the US in high school:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_People% ... ted_States
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Is it?

Or would the Germans have a Himmler base?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Is it?

Another absurd analogy. You're seriously wanting to compare Confederate generals to Himmler? Okay I'm wasting my time here...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Not so ridiculous. The point is that there are bases named after people who fought for what we oppose and, thankfully, lost. None the less, the bases are named after them? It doesn't make sense...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:15 pm

Is it?

Another absurd analogy. You're seriously wanting to compare Confederate generals to Himmler? Okay I'm wasting my time here...
Tell me, what would have happened to American slaves if those Confederate Generals had won the war? And what about America itself? Bye, bye, Constitution.

And yet you think people are crazy for questioning why the heck we are celebrating these men?

Come on. If you have a different view, fine...but don't gaslight people for questioning why we are celebrating people who went to war to maintain slavery, and to dismantle the American government.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:22 pm

Is it?

Tell me, what would have happened to American slaves if those Confederate Generals had won the war? And what about America itself? Bye, bye, Constitution.

And yet you think people are crazy for questioning why the heck we are celebrating these men?

Come on. If you have a different view, fine...but don't gaslight people for questioning why we are celebrating people who went to war to maintain slavery, and to dismantle the American government.
I think the ad had its desired effect - make people sit up and notice. I understand the message, even if the names chosen are somewhat extreme. And growing up without the whole Lost Cause cr*p gumming up my history books I find the names inappropriate.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

White House divide on Floyd response, as some push Trump for tougher tactics
“These aren’t my voters,” the president has said repeatedly, dismissing protesters in discussions with aides about how to respond over nearly three weeks of unrest.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... s-n1230941
With less than five months before voters head to the polls, President Donald Trump finds himself in an uncertain position: caught between advisers urging him to calm a country in the grips of a pandemic, economic uncertainty and civil unrest and those who want him to lean into aggressive tactics that almost certainly would further inflame a nation on edge.

Trump’s reluctance so far to come down on one side — or to strike a clear balance between the opposing sets of advice — has frustrated his allies and shaded, if not slowed, his response to nationwide protests arising since the death of George Floyd.

“These aren’t my voters,” the president has said repeatedly, dismissing protesters in discussions with aides about how to respond over nearly three weeks of unrest, according to three people familiar with the comments.

The president’s approach to what’s widely seen as a seminal moment for the country reflects his ambivalence about being anything other than a self-styled “president of law and order” and his stubborn adherence to tactics he believes have served him well politically, advisers inside and outside the White House say.

Some of those who spoke to NBC News about their confidential discussions with the president say they think Trump should be leading on changes in policing and race that even members of his own party are embracing, rather than undermining them. Others say the president is not fighting back hard enough and is instead allowing protesters to drive his agenda.

“It looks like he’s bewildered right now,” one political adviser said of the president. “We’re losing the culture war because we won’t engage directly, because we’re so scared to be called racist.”
Both civilian and uniformed military leaders at the Pentagon privately expressed disappointment with Trump’s decision to shut down any discussion about renaming the bases, according to four defense officials.

White House officials had given Pentagon brass a heads-up that Trump was not in favor of changing the names, after Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy both expressed support for the move earlier this week.

Before Trump expressed his firm opposition to the idea on Wednesday, McCarthy had planned to create a task force to review streets and buildings on military installations that are named after Confederate soldiers. As part of the review, the Army planned to reach out to the rank-and-file soldiers to get their opinions on the matter. Now the task force is on hold, according to two defense officials, with no plans to revisit the issue.

That, in the view of some of the president’s allies, is a missed opportunity.

“Soon, he’s going to find out he doesn’t have any room to write off sets of potential voters,” said one Republican close to the White House.

While the president is “obsessed” with his re-election, in the words of this ally, he doesn’t appear to understand that his recent inaction on the issue could damage his prospects.

“There’s a disconnect there,” the Republican said, adding it’s in part because the president doesn’t believe polls — public or conducted by his own campaign — showing him trailing presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

The president told his political advisers in an Oval Office meeting just last week that he didn’t believe the polls they presented him with, including surveys suggesting he could lose Georgia and Arizona, and asked them to conduct new ones.

Trump’s advisers also have warned him for weeks that if he continues to lose ground with key voting demographics such as senior citizens, moderates and suburban women, a second term won’t happen. Trump, so far, hasn’t appeared to take any concrete steps to address that concern.

The doom and gloom has prompted some White House and campaign staffers to start thinking about life after the election if the president loses, according to people familiar with the discussions.

“If the election were today, we’d get destroyed,” one of the president’s outside advisers said.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Bring Back Washington College! :mrgreen:

https://my.wlu.edu/about-wandl/history- ... ef-history

"A Brief History
Washington and Lee is a small, private, liberal arts university nestled between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains in Lexington, Va. It is the ninth oldest institution of higher learning in the nation.

In 1749, Scotch-Irish pioneers who had migrated deep into the Valley of Virginia founded a small classical school called Augusta Academy, some 20 miles north of what is now Lexington. In 1776, the trustees, fired by patriotism, changed the name of the school to Liberty Hall.

Four years later the school was moved to the vicinity of Lexington, where in 1782 it was chartered as Liberty Hall Academy by the Virginia legislature and empowered to grant degrees. A limestone building, erected in 1793 on the crest of a ridge overlooking Lexington, burned in 1803, though its ruins are preserved today as a symbol of the institution's honored past.

In 1796, George Washington saved the struggling Liberty Hall Academy when he gave the school its first major endowment--$20,000 worth of James River Canal stock. The trustees promptly changed the name of the school to Washington Academy as an expression of their gratitude.

In 1813, the name of the academy was changed to Washington College. By then, the college was established on its present grounds in Lexington.

General Robert E. Lee reluctantly accepted the position of president of the College in 1865. Because of his leadership of the Confederate army, Lee worried he "might draw upon the College a feeling of hostility," but also added that "I think it the duty of every citizen in the present condition of the Country, to do all in his power to aid in the restoration of peace and harmony."

After Lee's death in 1870, the trustees voted to change the name from Washington College to Washington and Lee University. Once an all-male institution, Washington and Lee first admitted women to its law school in 1972. The first undergraduate women matriculated in 1985. Since then, Washington and Lee has flourished.

Washington and Lee University observed its 250th Anniversary with a year-long, national celebration during the 1998-99 academic year."
The parent, not the coach.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Is it?

Gaslighting my a$$...you do it constantly on here. Don't try to come off again as some sort of board altruist.

This country has elected a black POTUS and then reelected him for an additional four years, and yet everyone is acting as though, we as a country, haven't evolved one fraction since the Civil War. You dudes need a serious context adjustment.

Himmler, Bin Laden, et al...hyperbolic BS at its worst! It's all a lie...
Last edited by tech37 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Is it?

Gaslighting my a$$...you do it constantly on here. Don't try to come off again as some sort of board altruist.

This country has elected a black POTUS and then reelected him for an additional four years, and yet, everyone is acting as though, we as a country haven't evolved one fraction since the Civil War. You dudes need a serious context adjustment.

Who said we haven’t moved at all?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 pmGaslighting my a$$...you do it constantly on here. Don't try to come off again as some sort of board altruist.
Board altruist? I have no clue what that means. All I said was, you're acting like your fellow posters are insane for asking why the heck do we still have statues of Generals up, who led an army that tried to overthrow the America, and keep millions of Americans in chains. It's doesn't make sense.

tech37 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 pm This country has elected a black POTUS and then reelected him for an additional four years, and yet everyone is acting as though, we as a country, haven't evolved one fraction since the Civil War.
Straw man. No one said we haven't evolved. The lady doth protest too much.....you're projecting.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Is it?

This country has elected a black POTUS and then reelected him for an additional four years, and yet, everyone is acting as though, we as a country haven't evolved one fraction since the Civil War. You dudes need a serious context adjustment.

All of this outrage against history is ginned up by people seeking to divide us. Why not get our bearings on how to treat each other today? Not 5, or 10 or 25 or 50 years ago. Trump is going to surprise some people with his minority numbers. Safety is a big deal to most minority families. So is opportunity. So is school choice. Looking back only set's you back.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:21 pm Not so ridiculous. The point is that there are bases named after people who fought for what we oppose and, thankfully, lost. None the less, the bases are named after them? It doesn't make sense...
Well bust my buttons.

Liberals like to look past the fact that DEMOCRATS run our major cities and have for 5 decades But we can't blame democrats for the systemic racism in their cities or on their police forces—no sir.

Well the similarities here are amazing

Ft Benning Georgia was named in 1918
Woodrow Wilson a DEMOCRAT was President.
The congress was democrat. ALL Georgias delegates To the US House of representatives were DEMOCRATS
Georgias state house was all Southern Democrats.

FT Hood Texas named in 1942
FDR a DEMOCRAT was President.
Sam Rayburn DEMOCRAT Texas was Speaker of the House. ALL members of the House from Texas were DEMOCRATS
Georgias state house was all Southern Democrats.

FT Bragg was named in 1857 for a retired General who fought in the Mexican American War so the racist traitorous general claim here DNA

Damn democrats can't be trusted with anything

Got no skin in this game but it strikes me funny that democrats cause the problems then whine about them.

Remember all the noise about a confederate flag flying over South Carolinas Capitol Building. WELL A DEMOCRAT Governor Fritz Hollings First Raised the Confederate Flag Over South Carolina Statehouse in 1961. He went on to be a US Senator. And received no blame when the riots started to take it down
Last edited by 6ftstick on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:21 pm Not so ridiculous. The point is that there are bases named after people who fought for what we oppose and, thankfully, lost. None the less, the bases are named after them? It doesn't make sense...
Oh boy...Fine, change the names if that helps people feel better... but don't go off comparing early Americans (who were living within the standards of their time) to Himmler or Bin Laden...that's the point!
Last edited by tech37 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:54 pm

Is it?

All of this outrage against history is ginned up by people seeking to divide us. Why not get our bearings on how to treat each other today? Not 5, or 10 or 25 or 50 years ago. Trump is going to surprise some people with his minority numbers. Safety is a big deal to most minority families. So is opportunity. So is school choice. Looking back only set's you back.
Trumps’s numbers with African American women are abysmal. He is awful. I don’t know any black people that like him. The people that gave him the benefit of the doubt have realized he is a fraud. Black and white people.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”