Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU77

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by CU77 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:12 pm My fellows soldiers were white, black, Puerto Rican, Navajo Indian, Mexican and even my good friend from Guam. If the politically correct thing is for Bragg to have a new name
I know what that name should be. Until the the day I die, it will always be Ft Bragg.
It would be interesting to know if your fellow black soldiers have the same opinion.

Not that I would expect them to feel comfortable being honest about it to us white folks.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:41 pm
What do you think of an apartment rental office not renting to a minority couple for no legitimate financial or legal reason? You ok with a rental agent telling a couple there is no vacancy and then telling the next couple there are plenty and that she refuses to rent to those kind of people? Are you not the guy that said that is not necessarily racist? If not racist, it’s definitely illegal.
Donald and Fred Trump, obviously, thought this was just good business. The Feds disagreed.

The Trumps settled with the Feds. But then (predictably) welshed on living up to their settlement agreement commitments.
The Chairman believes there could be a good reason to deny someone place to live based on their race.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

CU77 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:12 pm My fellows soldiers were white, black, Puerto Rican, Navajo Indian, Mexican and even my good friend from Guam. If the politically correct thing is for Bragg to have a new name
I know what that name should be. Until the the day I die, it will always be Ft Bragg.
It would be interesting to know if your fellow black soldiers have the same opinion.

Not that I would expect them to feel comfortable being honest about it to us white folks.
What about black folks with great great grandparents that fought for the Union Army? I don’t think many people are losing sleep over it but eliminating those names is probably the decent thing to do. There are more pressing issues, however.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:38 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 am
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:24 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:43 am
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:12 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:35 am Article in the Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ear-kente/

"My traditional cloth is not a prop.

On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and other members of the Democratic congressional leadership knelt for eight minutes and 46 seconds in tribute to the death of George Floyd. The kneeling was an appropriate gesture, but wearing African kente stoles, at that moment, was not.

Kente cloth is a traditional handwoven fabric that comes from the Akan peoples of Ghana. My father and half-brothers were born in Ghana, and my family has shaped my understanding of kente cloth.

My late grandfather’s kente cloth has hung in my parents’ living room for decades. The colorful, hand-woven fabric, in a design called Aberewa Bene (wise old lady), serves a dual purpose for us. It is the background for years of family photos. For visitors, the kente is a declaration of our family’s Ghanaian heritage. My father’s father died before I was born, but his cloth has allowed me to feel his presence throughout my life.

At my wedding, I asked my father and brothers to wear similar kente cloth robes as they walked down the aisle. And during my daughter’s outdooring, or naming ceremony, she was draped in yellow cloth as she was introduced to our community.

Those are the proper places for kente cloth. Monday’s display was an incorrect use, however well-intentioned. If you’re going to appropriate my culture, at least learn exactly what it is.

Last year, Ghana commemorated the 400th anniversary of the forced exodus of enslaved Africans to the United States. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus were among those who traveled to Ghana to commemorate the occasion, where they received kente cloths. In a similar gesture, the CBC provided kente cloths to fellow Democrats for Monday’s announcement of a police reform bill.

This was not the first time that members of the black caucus had worn kente cloths. “We have been wearing and displaying the kente cloth for a long time,” Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), chair of the caucus, told me. “Since [President] Trump, it has become a symbol of protest about his racist depiction of Africa. On Monday, we wore the kente because we felt that after 49 years [since the caucus was formed], we were finally getting legislation about police abuse.”

I get it. I have seen kente cloth worn at the State of the Union and other events as a badge of solidarity or respect — but Monday’s performance felt different. My first reaction to seeing the pictures of the lawmakers kneeling with kente stoles around their necks was of shock and confusion. The message that a kente cloth conveys did not match the kneeling or moment of silence.

The word “kente” derives from the expression “kea ԑnte,” meaning “no matter how hard you try, it won’t tear.” These cloths have specific names and convey unspoken yet strong messages. The stoles worn by the group were strips of a much larger fabric that is customarily worn in times of celebration.

Indeed, Democrats wrapped themselves in the colorful, bright kente, which can be considered inappropriate or insulting for somber moments. A more appropriate traditional cloth for death, especially a violent death, is a red and black adinkra cloth. If the lawmakers wanted a culturally authentic acknowledgment of the vile and inhumane death of George Floyd, they could have worn that cloth — or, better yet, simply worn red.

I am fortunate to be able to call relatives to discuss the history and importance of these symbols and how they relate to our culture. My family has a direct connection to my history that has been denied to many African Americans.

When enslaved Africans were brought to this country, they were stripped of their language and culture. Some elements survived, and traces are evident in the Gullah language and some “Southern” recipes. But so much more was lost. Broader use of the kente cloth in recent years has been part of some African Americans’ efforts to reclaim a lost heritage as well as a source of pride and connection to their African roots.

Every moment that features a kente cloth is not an affront. The cloths have been and will continue to be appropriated and mass-produced. I am proud that my traditional cloth has helped others feel connected to their ancestral home. I wouldn’t want the reactions to this episode to force others to not wear kente during celebratory occasions.

But at a time of national reflection, which includes a dialogue on what it is like to be black in the United States, congressional and all leaders need to be more sensitive about the messages they send, intentional or not.

This moment is a teachable one. America is at a crossroads, as many seek to acknowledge historical wrongs and injustices against African Americans. We cannot afford to remain ignorant of the richness and complexity of our heritage and roots
."
Not props? As the author stated, they couldn't even be bothered to see if what they were wearing was appropriate for signifying a violent death. The Democrats are patronizing blacks, like they have forever. They also know Trump is making inroads with Black Americans. Did you watch the round table from Dallas yesterday?
inroads?
Dallas?
Playing dumb isn't a good look for you, because we know you aren't dumb. If testimony of others is anything, they think Trump is making progress against injustice. Swallow your bile and watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFa6nAeeMUU

If you can't listen to Trump and his team, skip to the community leaders. If you can,though, I encourage you to at least listen to Carson and Barr.
Carson and Barr??? :roll: :lol:

Seriously, this is the "community leaders of Dallas? Who did they leave out...oh yeah, the Dallas black police chief, the black AD, the black sheriff.

oops.

dominate the streets....

It would be great if Trump and crew were to actually embrace the reforms that will be coming to them from Congress, but we know who this guy is, we know who his AG is.

Most recent evidence is his adamant refusal to have the military bases names changed despite the military's support. Yup, we get it. "Heritage"

Trump has even lost the military, previously a political strong hold, he's not going to recover that majority as well.

But he still holds a narrow lead of white men, still a solid lead of older, non-college white men. That's the bulk of his 39% approval.

Just guessing, but you're one of those 39%?
I spent 3 years of my life stationed at Ft Bragg. I spent 4 months at Ft Benning for basic, ait and then jump school. I think I understand this discussion as well as anybody. I do recognize that some US Army traditions die very hard. You have several generations of army personnel who served at Ft Bragg. They come in all colors and flavors. I have no problem with changing the name of Ft Bragg. My worries are how do you now deal with the history and tradition that surrounds the facility? Do you all pretend like they never existed? Does this become the same thing as the Tappan Zee Bridge becoming the freaking Mario Cuomo Bridge bacause King Andy shoveled a chit load if money to the folks in Hudson Valley ? No matter what the F**K they decide to call Ft Bragg, to this former paratrooper who called Ft Bragg my home. It will always and forever be Ft Bragg... Home of the Airborne. If that troubles any of you folks I don't care. I paid my dues in blood, sweat and on occasions my tears. Ft Bragg will always have a special place in my heart and you mother effers can change the name, and I understand why. If you ever think you can erase the memories of all of us that served there .... that ain't never gonna happen. Just out of curiosity... what should they change the name of Ft Bragg to? I am not against the name change. I understand that 100% It does create a huge issue for all of us people who stationed there. A huge very nasty can of worms is being opened up here. On a personal note does a name change also mean that that beloved stretch of blacktop called Longstreet Rd also goes away. Every damn paratrooper at Ft Bragg wore off alot of boot leather making the very long trip up and down that stretch if Rd. It is most famous for defying the laws of physics. No matter what direction you were humping, you were always going uphill. :roll:
cradle, you and all your fellow soldiers who wish to remember the base and the street by their old names are of course free to do so. No one will be erasing your memories.

Not sure why you would think so, this ain't Men in Black with a wand to erase memories.

But all those next generations of soldiers, making new memories, will do so without those names and their underlying message, (to which presumably you were oblivious back in your day.) The next generation will likely be aware of the base's former name and the message of inclusivity the current military and their country is sending by changing those names to honor soldiers who actually fought FOR the United States, not against it.

Presumably there have been lots and lots of heroes, of all "races", who have fought and many died for the US since the Civil War worthy of such honor. Some women too, presumably.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the United States' history is replete with such, right?
I'm willing to accept the fact MD that in your mind you are nothing less than brilliant. The fact you are willing to dive headfirst into a discussion you know nothing about is all the proof I need. So my question to you MD, who do the powers that be rename Ft Bragg after? There is only one person worthy of that honor. I hope you put your thinking cap on MD and tell me who that person is. I will give you a hint... he is the personification of the 82nd Airborne Division. I don't even think you could find a flaw in the man. He is almost as flawless a human being as yourself. I don't think he ever lived up to your very high standards if being a moderate though. ;)
Cradle, you know the respect I have for you. While never serving, and specifically never at Bragg, I can somewhat empathize with your opinions and memories. My memories are different, but just as fond. I've been visiting Bragg since my son-in-law was first assigned there in 2008. With the exception of six months at Fort Sill a few years ago, his entire career has been spent at Bragg. While never having had to ruck or run Longstreet I've spent a fair share of my time pushing some of my grandchildren's strollers up Longstreet both ways just as you describe. Their family lived the last three years of their post lives in the Ste. Mere Eglise neighborhood, one block from Longstreet. I much prefer driving Longstreet on my way to a post Starbucks than pushing that stroller.

I don't know if you've seen this from David Petraeus. He strongly believes the post names should be changed. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... es/612832/

My son-in-law just finished his masters in Strategic Securities Studies at the Fort Bragg campus of National Defense University. (Yes, he heard Milley's apology live.) As you can imagine, there have been some pretty interesting conversations among the students these past two weeks. If it's any indication of US military officers as a whole, a significant majority of officers (at least the O-4s and above in his class) from all branches are in agreement with Petraeus.
old salt

Post by old salt »

On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and other members of the Democratic congressional leadership knelt for eight minutes and 46 seconds in tribute to the death of George Floyd. The kneeling was an appropriate gesture, but wearing African kente stoles, at that moment, was not.

Kente cloth is a traditional handwoven fabric that comes from the Akan peoples of Ghana. My father and half-brothers were born in Ghana, and my family has shaped my understanding of kente cloth.

Those are the proper places for kente cloth. Monday’s display was an incorrect use, however well-intentioned. If you’re going to appropriate my culture, at least learn exactly what it is.

Last year, Ghana commemorated the 400th anniversary of the forced exodus of enslaved Africans to the United States. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus were among those who traveled to Ghana to commemorate the occasion, where they received kente cloths. In a similar gesture, the CBC provided kente cloths to fellow Democrats for Monday’s announcement of a police reform bill.

I get it. I have seen kente cloth worn at the State of the Union and other events as a badge of solidarity or respect — but Monday’s performance felt different. My first reaction to seeing the pictures of the lawmakers kneeling with kente stoles around their necks was of shock and confusion. The message that a kente cloth conveys did not match the kneeling or moment of silence.

The word “kente” derives from the expression “kea ԑnte,” meaning “no matter how hard you try, it won’t tear.” These cloths have specific names and convey unspoken yet strong messages. The stoles worn by the group were strips of a much larger fabric that is customarily worn in times of celebration.

Indeed, Democrats wrapped themselves in the colorful, bright kente, which can be considered inappropriate or insulting for somber moments. A more appropriate traditional cloth for death, especially a violent death, is a red and black adinkra cloth. If the lawmakers wanted a culturally authentic acknowledgment of the vile and inhumane death of George Floyd, they could have worn that cloth — or, better yet, simply worn red.

When enslaved Africans were brought to this country, they were stripped of their language and culture. Some elements survived, and traces are evident in the Gullah language and some “Southern” recipes. But so much more was lost. Broader use of the kente cloth in recent years has been part of some African Americans’ efforts to reclaim a lost heritage as well as a source of pride and connection to their African roots.

Every moment that features a kente cloth is not an affront. The cloths have been and will continue to be appropriated and mass-produced. I am proud that my traditional cloth has helped others feel connected to their ancestral home. I wouldn’t want the reactions to this episode to force others to not wear kente during celebratory occasions.

But at a time of national reflection, which includes a dialogue on what it is like to be black in the United States, congressional and all leaders need to be more sensitive about the messages they send, intentional or not.

This moment is a teachable one. America is at a crossroads, as many seek to acknowledge historical wrongs and injustices against African Americans. We cannot afford to remain ignorant of the richness and complexity of our heritage and roots
."
Not props? As the author stated, they couldn't even be bothered to see if what they were wearing was appropriate for signifying a violent death. The Democrats are patronizing blacks, like they have forever. They also know Trump is making inroads with Black Americans. Did you watch the round table from Dallas yesterday?
Nice call Nancy, anyone wearing kente cloth who is not of Ghanaian heritage is an appropriator.
...wear a Raiders jersey next time you patronizingly go OG.
Last edited by old salt on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:42 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:38 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:11 am
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:18 am

My late grandfather’s kente cloth has hung in my parents’ living room for decades. The colorful, hand-woven fabric, in a design called Aberewa Bene (wise old lady), serves a dual purpose for us. It is the background for years of family photos. For visitors, the kente is a declaration of our family’s Ghanaian heritage. My father’s father died before I was born, but his cloth has allowed me to feel his presence throughout my life.

At my wedding, I asked my father and brothers to wear similar kente cloth robes as they walked down the aisle. And during my daughter’s outdooring, or naming ceremony, she was draped in yellow cloth as she was introduced to our community.

This was not the first time that members of the black caucus had worn kente cloths. “We have been wearing and displaying the kente cloth for a long time,” Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), chair of the caucus, told me. “Since [President] Trump, it has become a symbol of protest about his racist depiction of Africa. On Monday, we wore the kente because we felt that after 49 years [since the caucus was formed], we were finally getting legislation about police abuse.”

I am fortunate to be able to call relatives to discuss the history and importance of these symbols and how they relate to our culture. My family has a direct connection to my history that has been denied to many African Americans.

."
inroads?
Dallas?
Playing dumb isn't a good look for you, because we know you aren't dumb. If testimony of others is anything, they think Trump is making progress against injustice. Swallow your bile and watch the video.

If you can't listen to Trump and his team, skip to the community leaders. If you can,though, I encourage you to at least listen to Carson and Barr.

Seriously, this is the "community leaders of Dallas? Who did they leave out...oh yeah, the Dallas black police chief, the black AD, the black sheriff.

oops.

dominate the streets....

It would be great if Trump and crew were to actually embrace the reforms that will be coming to them from Congress, but we know who this guy is, we know who his AG is.

Most recent evidence is his adamant refusal to have the military bases names changed despite the military's support. Yup, we get it. "Heritage"

Trump has even lost the military, previously a political strong hold, he's not going to recover that majority as well.

But he still holds a narrow lead of white men, still a solid lead of older, non-college white men. That's the bulk of his 39% approval.

Well, since you obviously didn't have time to watch the video, I assume your mind is closed on the subject. If Trump somehow manages to defeat whoever Dems put up as their candidate I will start a Go Fund Me to get you a therapy animal. Maybe we can get you a two headed llama. One head will be fiscally conservative and the other socially liberal. Oh, and citing polls has really worked out well for you and the media. "But, but Hillary was up by 5% in Florida!! Trump must have stolen the election." I'm not tired of winning. Are you tired of losing?
Actually I did, though I skipped past most of the white fawning over the President, and I got to the black folks invited to fawn over him. Some of what they said, I'm fully down with and respect their right to say and think...but SO much of it was ridiculously out of touch.

I agree that it's a long way to Election Day. A huge amount could and likely will "change" between now and then.

I don't trust polls to be more than a snap shot in time, but like anyone else with half a brain who thinks about politics, I'm interested in where they are collectively and their trajectory.

And Trump's trajectory is down, down, down. Could that reverse? of course.

If the virus magically goes away and, thus, Americans feel confident to return to prior behaviors and spending, Trump will occupy the "I told you so" inside pole position on the turn and may run away at the stretch.

Could happen.
Unfortunately for all of us non-politicians, that's not likely to happen.

Instead, we're likely to have wave after wave of the virus, survived but bigger and bigger impact, with growing resentment at the White House for their mismanagement of the challenge (not originally of their making, but worsened by their mismanagement).

If Trump continues with racially dividing the country, rejects congressional reforms, rejects base name changes, etc expect another wave of protests at every "campaign rally". It'll get worse and worse.
How is he racially dividing the country? One party is obsessed with race. One party is obsessed with putting people in little boxes. On party tells people to identify by immutable characteristics. Is that how you you unite a country, by weaponizing things people can't change? Anyone without clouded vision understands "divide and conquer". You're selectivity in pointing out rallies without pointing out protests shows you lack objectivity. Your remedies are temporary, feel good things like base re-naming. Racial inequities are way deeper than the shallow, facile attempts to mollify Black American by giving them a temporary "sugar high" instead of the bread of life they need to succeed. The recipe for that bread is safety, education, personal responsibility and equality in justice and opportunity, not going back and re-writing history.
You need to do what I've done in the past two weeks. Instead of thinking like you have a complete perspective because, like me, you've tried to keep yourself educated about certain topics, including racial ones, go speak to some black people. In my middle income North Carolina neighborhood I did just that. I spoke to a couple in their thirties - he's a black engineer at GE Aerospace, she's a white third grade teacher and they have a three year old daughter. Another is a black couple with a son going into 6th grade. She's a nursing administrator and he's in administration at the local VA. The third is a black woman in her 50s who works for Bank of America. Her brother of the same age visits her frequently.

I can tell you I've NEVER had the concerns any of these people have. Meghan is fearful any night Greg has go away for business that he may leave her a widow and their lovely daughter Amelia without a father. Tamela and TJ have already had talks with their son Trey, and worry about him already more than I ever worried about my two kids. Not once in my entire life (until my son became a cop) did I ever worry for the safety of my kids. Elaine makes her brother call her the minute he gets home from visiting if his travel has him riding his motorcycle at night. He's been stopped multiple times in his lifetime while on his bike by cops assuming the bike's been stolen because - and it's been said to him - "black guys don't ride."

There are two monuments in downtown Wilmington placed in the early 1900s by The United Daughters of the Confederacy. One is to honor "The Confederate Soldier" and the other to honor Wilmington native George Davis, the CSA's only AG. Until two weeks ago I'd always thought those monuments should be retained. I could look past their hypocritical inscriptions on their bases because the bronze statuary are, to me as a white guy, beautiful works of artistry. Not any more. All five of my neighbors, all professionals who have "made it", get sick to their stomachs any time they have to drive by either of those monuments. I said have to drive by because each of them avoid driving by them if they can avoid it. Based on their avoidance alone I've determined those monuments have to go. People shouldn't get sick to their stomachs driving in their home town.
Geat post SC. Thanks.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:20 pm Nice call Nancy, anyone wearing kente cloth who is not of Ghanaian heritage is an appropriator.
The kente cloth was the idea of the Congressional Black Caucus, who gave them to Nancy et al. Blame them.
Last edited by CU77 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

that raises an interesting question then- is it really appropriation if you've been advised/approved to do it by those affected.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:32 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:42 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:38 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:11 am
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:18 am

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

Well, since you obviously didn't have time to watch the video, I assume your mind is closed on the subject. If Trump somehow manages to defeat whoever Dems put up as their candidate I will start a Go Fund Me to get you a therapy animal. Maybe we can get you a two headed llama. One head will be fiscally conservative and the other socially liberal. Oh, and citing polls has really worked out well for you and the media. "But, but Hillary was up by 5% in Florida!! Trump must have stolen the election." I'm not tired of winning. Are you tired of losing?
Actually I did, though I skipped past most of the white fawning over the President, and I got to the black folks invited to fawn over him. Some of what they said, I'm fully down with and respect their right to say and think...but SO much of it was ridiculously out of touch.

I agree that it's a long way to Election Day. A huge amount could and likely will "change" between now and then.

I don't trust polls to be more than a snap shot in time, but like anyone else with half a brain who thinks about politics, I'm interested in where they are collectively and their trajectory.

And Trump's trajectory is down, down, down. Could that reverse? of course.

If the virus magically goes away and, thus, Americans feel confident to return to prior behaviors and spending, Trump will occupy the "I told you so" inside pole position on the turn and may run away at the stretch.

Could happen.
Unfortunately for all of us non-politicians, that's not likely to happen.

Instead, we're likely to have wave after wave of the virus, survived but bigger and bigger impact, with growing resentment at the White House for their mismanagement of the challenge (not originally of their making, but worsened by their mismanagement).

If Trump continues with racially dividing the country, rejects congressional reforms, rejects base name changes, etc expect another wave of protests at every "campaign rally". It'll get worse and worse.
How is he racially dividing the country? One party is obsessed with race. One party is obsessed with putting people in little boxes. On party tells people to identify by immutable characteristics. Is that how you you unite a country, by weaponizing things people can't change? Anyone without clouded vision understands "divide and conquer". You're selectivity in pointing out rallies without pointing out protests shows you lack objectivity. Your remedies are temporary, feel good things like base re-naming. Racial inequities are way deeper than the shallow, facile attempts to mollify Black American by giving them a temporary "sugar high" instead of the bread of life they need to succeed. The recipe for that bread is safety, education, personal responsibility and equality in justice and opportunity, not going back and re-writing history.
You need to do what I've done in the past two weeks. Instead of thinking like you have a complete perspective because, like me, you've tried to keep yourself educated about certain topics, including racial ones, go speak to some black people. In my middle income North Carolina neighborhood I did just that. I spoke to a couple in their thirties - he's a black engineer at GE Aerospace, she's a white third grade teacher and they have a three year old daughter. Another is a black couple with a son going into 6th grade. She's a nursing administrator and he's in administration at the local VA. The third is a black woman in her 50s who works for Bank of America. Her brother of the same age visits her frequently.

I can tell you I've NEVER had the concerns any of these people have. Meghan is fearful any night Greg has go away for business that he may leave her a widow and their lovely daughter Amelia without a father. Tamela and TJ have already had talks with their son Trey, and worry about him already more than I ever worried about my two kids. Not once in my entire life (until my son became a cop) did I ever worry for the safety of my kids. Elaine makes her brother call her the minute he gets home from visiting if his travel has him riding his motorcycle at night. He's been stopped multiple times in his lifetime while on his bike by cops assuming the bike's been stolen because - and it's been said to him - "black guys don't ride."

There are two monuments in downtown Wilmington placed in the early 1900s by The United Daughters of the Confederacy. One is to honor "The Confederate Soldier" and the other to honor Wilmington native George Davis, the CSA's only AG. Until two weeks ago I'd always thought those monuments should be retained. I could look past their hypocritical inscriptions on their bases because the bronze statuary are, to me as a white guy, beautiful works of artistry. Not any more. All five of my neighbors, all professionals who have "made it", get sick to their stomachs any time they have to drive by either of those monuments. I said have to drive by because each of them avoid driving by them if they can avoid it. Based on their avoidance alone I've determined those monuments have to go. People shouldn't get sick to their stomachs driving in their home town.
Geat post SC. Thanks.

+1. Most people’s opinion is formed based on the images they see on tv or read about in the newspapers. It’s good to get out and talk to regular people.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 pm that raises an interesting question then- is it really appropriation if you've been advised/approved to do it by those affected.
Opinions differ. The writer in the Wapo thinks it should be reserved for its traditional Ghanaian symbolic meanings and uses, period. At least some members of the Congressional Black Caucus (though likely not of Ghanian descent) clearly think it can and should be used more generally.

Opinions also differ on whether Trump was right to hold up the Holy Bible during his photo op after gassing peaceful protestors. Some Christians believe that was sacrilege. Others believe Trump is God's agent on Earth, and can do no wrong.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

You ask a good question. I was at Bragg from !979 to 1982. To be perfectly honest I do not ever remember the topic of who Ft Bragg was named after was ever brought up. I did have a couple guys in my platoon who had no idea why the main road in front of our barracks was named Ardennes Blvd. To answer your statement about would they have felt comfortable enough to bring it up to a white guy like me. We talked about race all the time. That is how I learned there was different set of standards for young black men growing up down south. I had one guy in our platoon who was an avowed KKK member who just flat out hated black people for no reason he could ever define. I lived this stuff every single day, I learned about the goodness in people as well as the bad. For the most part we all lived and trained together knowing that if need be we would be the only people we had by our side looking out for us. You put race aside and you train and live together to coin that phrase as a band of brothers. It sounds so hinky to reread my own words but that is the way it was. Except for a couple of nitwits I still remember all my brothers i served with and i love and respect everyone of them. We all suffered through the same misery together and looked out for each other.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:13 pm

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

I spent 3 years of my life stationed at Ft Bragg. I spent 4 months at Ft Benning for basic, ait and then jump school. I think I understand this discussion as well as anybody. I do recognize that some US Army traditions die very hard. You have several generations of army personnel who served at Ft Bragg. They come in all colors and flavors. I have no problem with changing the name of Ft Bragg. My worries are how do you now deal with the history and tradition that surrounds the facility? Do you all pretend like they never existed? Does this become the same thing as the Tappan Zee Bridge becoming the freaking Mario Cuomo Bridge bacause King Andy shoveled a chit load if money to the folks in Hudson Valley ? No matter what the F**K they decide to call Ft Bragg, to this former paratrooper who called Ft Bragg my home. It will always and forever be Ft Bragg... Home of the Airborne. If that troubles any of you folks I don't care. I paid my dues in blood, sweat and on occasions my tears. Ft Bragg will always have a special place in my heart and you mother effers can change the name, and I understand why. If you ever think you can erase the memories of all of us that served there .... that ain't never gonna happen. Just out of curiosity... what should they change the name of Ft Bragg to? I am not against the name change. I understand that 100% It does create a huge issue for all of us people who stationed there. A huge very nasty can of worms is being opened up here. On a personal note does a name change also mean that that beloved stretch of blacktop called Longstreet Rd also goes away. Every damn paratrooper at Ft Bragg wore off alot of boot leather making the very long trip up and down that stretch if Rd. It is most famous for defying the laws of physics. No matter what direction you were humping, you were always going uphill. :roll:
cradle, you and all your fellow soldiers who wish to remember the base and the street by their old names are of course free to do so. No one will be erasing your memories.

Not sure why you would think so, this ain't Men in Black with a wand to erase memories.

But all those next generations of soldiers, making new memories, will do so without those names and their underlying message, (to which presumably you were oblivious back in your day.) The next generation will likely be aware of the base's former name and the message of inclusivity the current military and their country is sending by changing those names to honor soldiers who actually fought FOR the United States, not against it.

Presumably there have been lots and lots of heroes, of all "races", who have fought and many died for the US since the Civil War worthy of such honor. Some women too, presumably.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the United States' history is replete with such, right?
I'm willing to accept the fact MD that in your mind you are nothing less than brilliant. The fact you are willing to dive headfirst into a discussion you know nothing about is all the proof I need. So my question to you MD, who do the powers that be rename Ft Bragg after? There is only one person worthy of that honor. I hope you put your thinking cap on MD and tell me who that person is. I will give you a hint... he is the personification of the 82nd Airborne Division. I don't even think you could find a flaw in the man. He is almost as flawless a human being as yourself. I don't think he ever lived up to your very high standards if being a moderate though. ;)
Cradle, you know the respect I have for you. While never serving, and specifically never at Bragg, I can somewhat empathize with your opinions and memories. My memories are different, but just as fond. I've been visiting Bragg since my son-in-law was first assigned there in 2008. With the exception of six months at Fort Sill a few years ago, his entire career has been spent at Bragg. While never having had to ruck or run Longstreet I've spent a fair share of my time pushing some of my grandchildren's strollers up Longstreet both ways just as you describe. Their family lived the last three years of their post lives in the Ste. Mere Eglise neighborhood, one block from Longstreet. I much prefer driving Longstreet on my way to a post Starbucks than pushing that stroller.

I don't know if you've seen this from David Petraeus. He strongly believes the post names should be changed. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... es/612832/

My son-in-law just finished his masters in Strategic Securities Studies at the Fort Bragg campus of National Defense University. (Yes, he heard Milley's apology live.) As you can imagine, there have been some pretty interesting conversations among the students these past two weeks. If it's any indication of US military officers as a whole, a significant majority of officers (at least the O-4s and above in his class) from all branches are in agreement with Petraeus.
Longstreet Road must have changed big time. Once we made that left onto Longstreet from our barracks there was nothing but pine trees until you got to the edge of Normandy DZ. 40 years sure goes by quick. If they want to rename Bragg I think you avoid politics and name it Ft Ridgway. There is no other 82nd member and leader that I know that personifies the tradition of the airborne better Gen Matthew Ridgway. I would be 100% all it to rename it Ft Ridgway.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

By Daniel Oates

Daniel Oates, an attorney and the former chief of the NYPD Intelligence Division, served 18 years as a police chief in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Aurora, Colo.; and, most, recently Miami Beach.

Reform advocates are starting to focus on police unions’ immense power to block the discipline of bad cops. Where have they been? Police chiefs have been fighting this lonely battle for years. From our experience, we know there cannot be true reform unless Americans elect politicians willing to take on obstructionist labor leaders.

In Minneapolis, Police Chief Medaria Arradondo quickly fired the officers involved in the death of George Floyd. But very few chiefs have this ability. In my time as a chief in Michigan, Colorado and Florida, I never did, thanks to a combination of state and local laws, union contracts, and past labor precedents.

Much more typical is this scenario: A cop commits serious misconduct. The chief suspends him immediately. Often, the cop still gets paid to sit at home, because this is legally required. Internal affairs investigates, but the process is delayed by exasperating legal and contract hurdles. Meanwhile, the community stews: Why hasn’t the chief fired him?
Finally, the chief has the evidence to act. If merited, the cop is fired. Months have gone by, but that was the easy part. Now the cop will appeal — because the review process is staggeringly favorable to bad cops.
The case goes either to an arbitrator or to a panel, a “civil service commission” appointed by the city council. The arguments are always the same: The chief’s investigation was shoddy; the chief had a vendetta against this particular cop; other cops did this before and weren’t fired; the alleged misconduct wasn’t really that bad. Too often, arbitrators feel the pressure to “split the baby” in their decisions. Perhaps the cop is docked pay or demoted; otherwise, he’s back on patrol.

In some states, legislatures have codified these protections in what’s called a “peace officer’s bill of rights.” As I saw in Florida, an officer accused of wrongdoing is interviewed only at the end of the investigation. State law guarantees him, and his lawyer, an opportunity to review every bit of evidence — every witness statement, any video, all the physical evidence — before he talks to internal affairs. This enables the officer to cast his actions in the best possible light — even to lie about what happened, once he knows the evidence will not disprove the lie. In subsequent arbitration, this becomes a critical tactical advantage.

In Colorado, there was no such guarantee — and the cultural difference in the departments I oversaw was striking. In Florida, trustworthiness was a challenge. In Colorado, officers generally did not lie to internal affairs — and, what’s more, they helped keep one another honest.

But that didn’t mean it was easy to get rid of underperforming cops. In nearly nine years as chief in Aurora, Colo., I had 16 cops out of 650 whom I felt should be fired. Four I actually did fire. The Civil Service Commission promptly reversed me on three of them. So with the other 12 cops, I bent over backward to negotiate their departures with creative severance packages. I succeeded in getting them out — with deals that protected the city from litigation — but these agreements also allowed the cops to get jobs elsewhere if they could.

And those are just the disappointments the public can see. Another insidious cost of union intransigence is in the battles not fought. Arbitrations suck the life out of a police chief: Instead of fighting crime or building community trust, you’re huddled with lawyers, practicing testimony, memorizing evidence. You’re also weighing the likely outcomes of battling the union. Win the arbitration, and your ethical standard is upheld for all your cops to see. Lose, and the union will trash your integrity and leadership.

You also realize that the union is superb at lobbying over your head to elected officials. “We can’t work with this chief. He’s unfair on discipline,” they complain. You learn there are only so many fights to take on. On a case where you know the cop should get a healthy suspension, you agree to a written reprimand. The high standards you expect for the agency suffer.

These constraints are democratically imposed — by voter-approved city charters or elected city councils or state legislatures, all too easily swayed by unions and their donations and votes. The good news is that this means reform-minded voters have a say, too. We can elect leaders with the courage to change the laws and labor agreements that are killing accountability in policing. Unions will claim that the reforms deny cops due process, but this doesn’t have to be true: In every department I served in, simple improvements could have reasonably ensured fairness for both police officers and their employers — the public.

I love cops. The vast majority are heroes who sacrifice every day to protect you, me and the next George Floyd. They embrace high ethical standards. They are repulsed by Floyd’s death.

Help them. Vote. Empower our police chiefs to hold cops accountable. They will lead the reform America is demanding.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -bad-cops/
old salt

Post by old salt »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:54 pm

You ask a good question. I was at Bragg from !979 to 1982. To be perfectly honest I do not ever remember the topic of who Ft Bragg was named after was ever brought up.
It's my experience that most service members are oblivious to the origins of the name of their ship or post.
Instead, they associate the name with the missions of the units based there, their history & their exploits.

James Carville recommended Ft Polk in LA be renamed Ft Honore', for the black, native son, 3 star who brought order to NOLA during Katrina.
If they can come up with namesakes that appropriate for the other 9 Forts, it could be a good thing.
Since Petraeus brought it up, I wonder which one he expects to be named for him.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Right wing delusionals continue to pretend that Antifa is behind all the anti racialist violence taking place. The idiot-in-chief's inflammatory comments certainly have not helped in the effort to set the record straight re this issue. But the media and the government have shown there is no record to prove the ridiculous claim:

Federal Arrests Show No Sign That Antifa Plotted Protests
Despite claims by President Trump and Attorney General William P. Barr, there is scant evidence that loosely organized anti-fascists are a significant player in protests.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/a ... Position=1

The Los Angeles Police Department said it saw no organized effort by antifa during protests in the city.

Inciting a riot. Hurling a Molotov cocktail. Plotting to sow destruction. Those are some of the most serious charges brought by federal prosecutors against demonstrators at protests across the country in recent weeks.

But despite cries from President Trump and others in his administration, none of those charged with serious federal crimes amid the unrest have been linked so far to the loose collective of anti-fascist activists known as antifa.

A review of the arrests of dozens of people on federal charges reveals no known effort by antifa to perpetrate a coordinated campaign of violence. Some criminal complaints described vague, anti-government political leanings among suspects, but a majority of the violent acts that have taken place at protests have been attributed by federal prosecutors to individuals with no affiliation to any particular group .....

more .....

This has been obvious to us here in the Twin Cities since Day One. Now it's time for the right wing delusionals to stop pointing the finger at anyone unless and until they come up with proof of their fairy tale claims.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:04 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:13 pm

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

Longstreet Road must have changed big time. Once we made that left onto Longstreet from our barracks there was nothing but pine trees until you got to the edge of Normandy DZ. 40 years sure goes by quick. If they want to rename Bragg I think you avoid politics and name it Ft Ridgway. There is no other 82nd member and leader that I know that personifies the tradition of the airborne better Gen Matthew Ridgway. I would be 100% all it to rename it Ft Ridgway.
Cradle, you wouldn't recognize it. It's changed dramatically in the ten years I've been visiting. Every BCT is in a barracks and HQ facility that's been built in the past ten years. Here's a link directly to the last street my daughter's family lived on. You'll see how close in proximity it is to both 1st and 3rd BCTs. I never had to set my alarm when visiting. The loudspeakers blaring music during PT was loud and clear. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Arnhe ... 6468?hl=en

Ridgeway would be a great choice, as would Omar Bradley, who preceded him as division commander. Any of the 82nd's seven Medal of Honor winners would probably also make good choices, including Sargeant Alvin York. "By the end of the engagement, York and his seven men marched their German prisoners back to the American lines. Upon returning to his unit, York reported to his brigade commander, Brigadier General Julian Robert Lindsey, who remarked: "Well York, I hear you have captured the whole German army." York replied: "No sir. I got only 132."'
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:43 pm Right wing delusionals continue to pretend that Antifa is behind all the anti racialist violence taking place. The idiot-in-chief's inflammatory comments certainly have not helped in the effort to set the record straight re this issue. But the media and the government have shown there is no record to prove the ridiculous claim:

Federal Arrests Show No Sign That Antifa Plotted Protests
Despite claims by President Trump and Attorney General William P. Barr, there is scant evidence that loosely organized anti-fascists are a significant player in protests.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/a ... Position=1

The Los Angeles Police Department said it saw no organized effort by antifa during protests in the city.

Inciting a riot. Hurling a Molotov cocktail. Plotting to sow destruction. Those are some of the most serious charges brought by federal prosecutors against demonstrators at protests across the country in recent weeks.

But despite cries from President Trump and others in his administration, none of those charged with serious federal crimes amid the unrest have been linked so far to the loose collective of anti-fascist activists known as antifa.

A review of the arrests of dozens of people on federal charges reveals no known effort by antifa to perpetrate a coordinated campaign of violence. Some criminal complaints described vague, anti-government political leanings among suspects, but a majority of the violent acts that have taken place at protests have been attributed by federal prosecutors to individuals with no affiliation to any particular group .....

more .....

This has been obvious to us here in the Twin Cities since Day One. Now it's time for the right wing delusionals to stop pointing the finger at anyone unless and until they come up with proof of their fairy tale claims.

The MSM media says Antifa doesn’t exist. Also I believed the media about Russiagate.

https://twitter.com/marinelapavleti/sta ... 39488?s=21

https://twitter.com/paulsperry_/status/ ... 82688?s=21

https://thepostmillennial.com/seattle-t ... occupation
njbill

Post by njbill »

CU77 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:52 pm Others believe Trump is God's agent on Earth, and can do no wrong.
He is the Chosen One. He said so.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:47 pm Ridgeway would be a great choice, as would Omar Bradley, who preceded him as division commander. Any of the 82nd's seven Medal of Honor winners would probably also make good choices, including Sargeant Alvin York. "By the end of the engagement, York and his seven men marched their German prisoners back to the American lines. Upon returning to his unit, York reported to his brigade commander, Brigadier General Julian Robert Lindsey, who remarked: "Well York, I hear you have captured the whole German army." York replied: "No sir. I got only 132."'
I'd suggest Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe (filling in for Matthew Ridgeway), acting commander 101st Airborne at Bastogne during WWII. Surrounded by German troops at the Battle of the Bulge and they asked him to surrender - He replied with one word NUTS!
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think one would be justified in feeling as if they were wronged in the education they were given about our history in grades 1-12. An awful lot of details were left out, really is a slanted story which isn't all that accurate. Pilgrims came over and had dinner with the Indians and that all worked out pretty good. North and the South fought the Civil War which freed the slaves so that all worked out pretty good too. That's pretty much it in a nutshell....oh, and here's your diploma.

Return to “POLITICS”