Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:24 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:43 am
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:12 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:35 am Article in the Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ear-kente/

"My traditional cloth is not a prop.

On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and other members of the Democratic congressional leadership knelt for eight minutes and 46 seconds in tribute to the death of George Floyd. The kneeling was an appropriate gesture, but wearing African kente stoles, at that moment, was not.

Kente cloth is a traditional handwoven fabric that comes from the Akan peoples of Ghana. My father and half-brothers were born in Ghana, and my family has shaped my understanding of kente cloth.

My late grandfather’s kente cloth has hung in my parents’ living room for decades. The colorful, hand-woven fabric, in a design called Aberewa Bene (wise old lady), serves a dual purpose for us. It is the background for years of family photos. For visitors, the kente is a declaration of our family’s Ghanaian heritage. My father’s father died before I was born, but his cloth has allowed me to feel his presence throughout my life.

At my wedding, I asked my father and brothers to wear similar kente cloth robes as they walked down the aisle. And during my daughter’s outdooring, or naming ceremony, she was draped in yellow cloth as she was introduced to our community.

Those are the proper places for kente cloth. Monday’s display was an incorrect use, however well-intentioned. If you’re going to appropriate my culture, at least learn exactly what it is.

Last year, Ghana commemorated the 400th anniversary of the forced exodus of enslaved Africans to the United States. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus were among those who traveled to Ghana to commemorate the occasion, where they received kente cloths. In a similar gesture, the CBC provided kente cloths to fellow Democrats for Monday’s announcement of a police reform bill.

This was not the first time that members of the black caucus had worn kente cloths. “We have been wearing and displaying the kente cloth for a long time,” Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), chair of the caucus, told me. “Since [President] Trump, it has become a symbol of protest about his racist depiction of Africa. On Monday, we wore the kente because we felt that after 49 years [since the caucus was formed], we were finally getting legislation about police abuse.”

I get it. I have seen kente cloth worn at the State of the Union and other events as a badge of solidarity or respect — but Monday’s performance felt different. My first reaction to seeing the pictures of the lawmakers kneeling with kente stoles around their necks was of shock and confusion. The message that a kente cloth conveys did not match the kneeling or moment of silence.

The word “kente” derives from the expression “kea ԑnte,” meaning “no matter how hard you try, it won’t tear.” These cloths have specific names and convey unspoken yet strong messages. The stoles worn by the group were strips of a much larger fabric that is customarily worn in times of celebration.

Indeed, Democrats wrapped themselves in the colorful, bright kente, which can be considered inappropriate or insulting for somber moments. A more appropriate traditional cloth for death, especially a violent death, is a red and black adinkra cloth. If the lawmakers wanted a culturally authentic acknowledgment of the vile and inhumane death of George Floyd, they could have worn that cloth — or, better yet, simply worn red.

I am fortunate to be able to call relatives to discuss the history and importance of these symbols and how they relate to our culture. My family has a direct connection to my history that has been denied to many African Americans.

When enslaved Africans were brought to this country, they were stripped of their language and culture. Some elements survived, and traces are evident in the Gullah language and some “Southern” recipes. But so much more was lost. Broader use of the kente cloth in recent years has been part of some African Americans’ efforts to reclaim a lost heritage as well as a source of pride and connection to their African roots.

Every moment that features a kente cloth is not an affront. The cloths have been and will continue to be appropriated and mass-produced. I am proud that my traditional cloth has helped others feel connected to their ancestral home. I wouldn’t want the reactions to this episode to force others to not wear kente during celebratory occasions.

But at a time of national reflection, which includes a dialogue on what it is like to be black in the United States, congressional and all leaders need to be more sensitive about the messages they send, intentional or not.

This moment is a teachable one. America is at a crossroads, as many seek to acknowledge historical wrongs and injustices against African Americans. We cannot afford to remain ignorant of the richness and complexity of our heritage and roots
."
Not props? As the author stated, they couldn't even be bothered to see if what they were wearing was appropriate for signifying a violent death. The Democrats are patronizing blacks, like they have forever. They also know Trump is making inroads with Black Americans. Did you watch the round table from Dallas yesterday?
inroads?
Dallas?
Playing dumb isn't a good look for you, because we know you aren't dumb. If testimony of others is anything, they think Trump is making progress against injustice. Swallow your bile and watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFa6nAeeMUU

If you can't listen to Trump and his team, skip to the community leaders. If you can,though, I encourage you to at least listen to Carson and Barr.
Carson and Barr??? :roll: :lol:

Seriously, this is the "community leaders of Dallas? Who did they leave out...oh yeah, the Dallas black police chief, the black AD, the black sheriff.

oops.

dominate the streets....

It would be great if Trump and crew were to actually embrace the reforms that will be coming to them from Congress, but we know who this guy is, we know who his AG is.

Most recent evidence is his adamant refusal to have the military bases names changed despite the military's support. Yup, we get it. "Heritage"

Trump has even lost the military, previously a political strong hold, he's not going to recover that majority as well.

But he still holds a narrow lead of white men, still a solid lead of older, non-college white men. That's the bulk of his 39% approval.

Just guessing, but you're one of those 39%?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:14 am
njbill wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:15 pm The country of CHAZ is hysterical. You must watch the first 20 minutes of Tucker tonight. :oops:
The expression on his face when Tammy Bruce announced she is gay is priceless.
Please, everyone who knows her, and he has known her forever, knows she is gay. Segment begins @ 28:20 and his facial expression never changes when she comments about her role in "Act Up". Please stop trying to assign motives to people who really, unlike you, hate identity politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c30Wx8nWLuc

His expression never changed. What is it with the little-girl posts from the left to say something so clearly untrue?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:27 am
ggait wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:01 pm
Every woman in that series was a total badass. Name one that you wouldn't sleep with with one eye open!! (And no pervs, don't say Charlotte). I am sure I will have a "Darlene" nightmare one of these days.
Next season for Ozark is set up great. Good that they took care of Helen (whose story line had played out). So now it is a throw down between Darlene and Ruth vs. Marty, Wendy and the cartel.

That's gonna be some seriously twisted girl power on display.
Okay, this series is turning me into my late Grandmother in 1965, who had to watch her "shows", AKA Soap Operas. I am geeked about season 4. I have heard rumors that Ruth will turn out to be pregnant with Ben's baby.
:D Glad we have something we can all applaud in common.
Terrific show. If anyone hasn't seen it...do!
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 am

On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and other members of the Democratic congressional leadership knelt for eight minutes and 46 seconds in tribute to the death of George Floyd. The kneeling was an appropriate gesture, but wearing African kente stoles, at that moment, was not.

Kente cloth is a traditional handwoven fabric that comes from the Akan peoples of Ghana. My father and half-brothers were born in Ghana, and my family has shaped my understanding of kente cloth.

My late grandfather’s kente cloth has hung in my parents’ living room for decades. The colorful, hand-woven fabric, in a design called Aberewa Bene (wise old lady), serves a dual purpose for us. It is the background for years of family photos. For visitors, the kente is a declaration of our family’s Ghanaian heritage. My father’s father died before I was born, but his cloth has allowed me to feel his presence throughout my life.

At my wedding, I asked my father and brothers to wear similar kente cloth robes as they walked down the aisle. And during my daughter’s outdooring, or naming ceremony, she was draped in yellow cloth as she was introduced to our community.

Those are the proper places for kente cloth. Monday’s display was an incorrect use, however well-intentioned. If you’re going to appropriate my culture, at least learn exactly what it is.

Last year, Ghana commemorated the 400th anniversary of the forced exodus of enslaved Africans to the United States. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus were among those who traveled to Ghana to commemorate the occasion, where they received kente cloths. In a similar gesture, the CBC provided kente cloths to fellow Democrats for Monday’s announcement of a police reform bill.

This was not the first time that members of the black caucus had worn kente cloths. “We have been wearing and displaying the kente cloth for a long time,” Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), chair of the caucus, told me. “Since [President] Trump, it has become a symbol of protest about his racist depiction of Africa. On Monday, we wore the kente because we felt that after 49 years [since the caucus was formed], we were finally getting legislation about police abuse.”

I get it. I have seen kente cloth worn at the State of the Union and other events as a badge of solidarity or respect — but Monday’s performance felt different. My first reaction to seeing the pictures of the lawmakers kneeling with kente stoles around their necks was of shock and confusion. The message that a kente cloth conveys did not match the kneeling or moment of silence.

The word “kente” derives from the expression “kea ԑnte,” meaning “no matter how hard you try, it won’t tear.” These cloths have specific names and convey unspoken yet strong messages. The stoles worn by the group were strips of a much larger fabric that is customarily worn in times of celebration.

Indeed, Democrats wrapped themselves in the colorful, bright kente, which can be considered inappropriate or insulting for somber moments. A more appropriate traditional cloth for death, especially a violent death, is a red and black adinkra cloth. If the lawmakers wanted a culturally authentic acknowledgment of the vile and inhumane death of George Floyd, they could have worn that cloth — or, better yet, simply worn red.

I am fortunate to be able to call relatives to discuss the history and importance of these symbols and how they relate to our culture. My family has a direct connection to my history that has been denied to many African Americans.

When enslaved Africans were brought to this country, they were stripped of their language and culture. Some elements survived, and traces are evident in the Gullah language and some “Southern” recipes. But so much more was lost. Broader use of the kente cloth in recent years has been part of some African Americans’ efforts to reclaim a lost heritage as well as a source of pride and connection to their African roots.

Every moment that features a kente cloth is not an affront. The cloths have been and will continue to be appropriated and mass-produced. I am proud that my traditional cloth has helped others feel connected to their ancestral home. I wouldn’t want the reactions to this episode to force others to not wear kente during celebratory occasions.

But at a time of national reflection, which includes a dialogue on what it is like to be black in the United States, congressional and all leaders need to be more sensitive about the messages they send, intentional or not.

This moment is a teachable one. America is at a crossroads, as many seek to acknowledge historical wrongs and injustices against African Americans. We cannot afford to remain ignorant of the richness and complexity of our heritage and roots
."
Not props? As the author stated, they couldn't even be bothered to see if what they were wearing was appropriate for signifying a violent death. The Democrats are patronizing blacks, like they have forever. They also know Trump is making inroads with Black Americans. Did you watch the round table from Dallas yesterday?
inroads?
Dallas?
Playing dumb isn't a good look for you, because we know you aren't dumb. If testimony of others is anything, they think Trump is making progress against injustice. Swallow your bile and watch the video.

If you can't listen to Trump and his team, skip to the community leaders. If you can,though, I encourage you to at least listen to Carson and Barr.

Seriously, this is the "community leaders of Dallas? Who did they leave out...oh yeah, the Dallas black police chief, the black AD, the black sheriff.

oops.

dominate the streets....

It would be great if Trump and crew were to actually embrace the reforms that will be coming to them from Congress, but we know who this guy is, we know who his AG is.

Most recent evidence is his adamant refusal to have the military bases names changed despite the military's support. Yup, we get it. "Heritage"

Trump has even lost the military, previously a political strong hold, he's not going to recover that majority as well.

But he still holds a narrow lead of white men, still a solid lead of older, non-college white men. That's the bulk of his 39% approval.

Well, since you obviously didn't have time to watch the video, I assume your mind is closed on the subject. If Trump somehow manages to defeat whoever Dems put up as their candidate I will start a Go Fund Me to get you a therapy animal. Maybe we can get you a two headed llama. One head will be fiscally conservative and the other socially liberal. Oh, and citing polls has really worked out well for you and the media. "But, but Hillary was up by 5% in Florida!! Trump must have stolen the election." I'm not tired of winning. Are you tired of losing?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

should we change the thread title, which is really asking is it offensive to call these protests "riots"
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:25 am should we change the thread title, which is really asking is it offensive to call these protests "riots"
So long is there isn't a "second wave" ;)
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

The dallas city council and police are as bad as the Mayors of Seatle and Minneapolis.

The police department encourages cops to kneel before their accusers.

What the heck was Trump going to learn from them.

He's already got examples of liberal progressive leadership without courage.

Leaders refusing to protect and defend the constitution
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Tell Brook we got another white surpremacist caught! Lighting five cop cars while showing your tats isn't a good recipe for staying out of federal prison.

https://usagag.com/25-year-old-antifa-m ... -vehicles/

Oh wait, sorry, wrong affiliation! My apologies.

:lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:18 am

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

Well, since you obviously didn't have time to watch the video, I assume your mind is closed on the subject. If Trump somehow manages to defeat whoever Dems put up as their candidate I will start a Go Fund Me to get you a therapy animal. Maybe we can get you a two headed llama. One head will be fiscally conservative and the other socially liberal. Oh, and citing polls has really worked out well for you and the media. "But, but Hillary was up by 5% in Florida!! Trump must have stolen the election." I'm not tired of winning. Are you tired of losing?
Actually I did, though I skipped past most of the white fawning over the President, and I got to the black folks invited to fawn over him. Some of what they said, I'm fully down with and respect their right to say and think...but SO much of it was ridiculously out of touch.

I agree that it's a long way to Election Day. A huge amount could and likely will "change" between now and then.

I don't trust polls to be more than a snap shot in time, but like anyone else with half a brain who thinks about politics, I'm interested in where they are collectively and their trajectory.

And Trump's trajectory is down, down, down. Could that reverse? of course.

If the virus magically goes away and, thus, Americans feel confident to return to prior behaviors and spending, Trump will occupy the "I told you so" inside pole position on the turn and may run away at the stretch.

Could happen.
Unfortunately for all of us non-politicians, that's not likely to happen.

Instead, we're likely to have wave after wave of the virus, survived but bigger and bigger impact, with growing resentment at the White House for their mismanagement of the challenge (not originally of their making, but worsened by their mismanagement).

If Trump continues with racially dividing the country, rejects congressional reforms, rejects base name changes, etc expect another wave of protests at every "campaign rally". It'll get worse and worse.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:08 am Tell Brook we got another white surpremacist caught! Lighting five cop cars while showing your tats isn't a good recipe for staying out of federal prison.

She will probably get 5 years probation and a $500 fine. :P

I think she should at least have to pay for the vehicles.
Live Free or Die!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:14 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:08 am Tell Brook we got another white surpremacist caught! Lighting five cop cars while showing your tats isn't a good recipe for staying out of federal prison.

She will probably get 5 years probation and a $500 fine. :P

I think she should at least have to pay for the vehicles.
I'd bet on some jail time and a substantial fine.

But as this wasn't a building with someone inside (much more serious), she may get this negotiated down to restitution. Yup, cost of vehicles. Which, though that's a tidy sum, she could undoubtedly raise.

Glad they caught her.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:11 am

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

Actually I did, though I skipped past most of the white fawning over the President, and I got to the black folks invited to fawn over him. Some of what they said, I'm fully down with and respect their right to say and think...but SO much of it was ridiculously out of touch.

I agree that it's a long way to Election Day. A huge amount could and likely will "change" between now and then.

I don't trust polls to be more than a snap shot in time, but like anyone else with half a brain who thinks about politics, I'm interested in where they are collectively and their trajectory.

If the virus magically goes away and, thus, Americans feel confident to return to prior behaviors and spending, Trump will occupy the "I told you so" inside pole position on the turn and may run away at the stretch.

Could happen.

Instead, we're likely to have wave after wave of the virus, survived but bigger and bigger impact, with growing resentment at the White House for their mismanagement of the challenge (not originally of their making, but worsened by their mismanagement).

If Trump continues with racially dividing the country, rejects congressional reforms, rejects base name changes, etc expect another wave of protests at every "campaign rally". It'll get worse and worse.
How is he racially dividing the country? One party is obsessed with race. One party is obsessed with putting people in little boxes. On party tells people to identify by immutable characteristics. Is that how you you unite a country, by weaponizing things people can't change? Anyone without clouded vision understands "divide and conquer". You're selectivity in pointing out rallies without pointing out protests shows you lack objectivity. Your remedies are temporary, feel good things like base re-naming. Racial inequities are way deeper than the shallow, facile attempts to mollify Black American by giving them a temporary "sugar high" instead of the bread of life they need to succeed. The recipe for that bread is safety, education, personal responsibility and equality in justice and opportunity, not going back and re-writing history.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Base renaming may be feel good to some extent, but it is a very symbolic part of dismantling the Lost Cause rewriting of Civil War history.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:38 am

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

Could happen.

How is he racially dividing the country? One party is obsessed with race. One party is obsessed with putting people in little boxes. On party tells people to identify by immutable characteristics. Is that how you you unite a country, by weaponizing things people can't change? Anyone without clouded vision understands "divide and conquer". You're selectivity in pointing out rallies without pointing out protests shows you lack objectivity. Your remedies are temporary, feel good things like base re-naming. Racial inequities are way deeper than the shallow, facile attempts to mollify Black American by giving them a temporary "sugar high" instead of the bread of life they need to succeed. The recipe for that bread is safety, education, personal responsibility and equality in justice and opportunity, not going back and re-writing history.
Yes, Trump is indeed Divider-In-Chief.
It's his entire political modus operandi.

But I really don't expect, at least from your posts, that you will understand this reality. You clearly have zero appreciation for the reality of your fellow Americans who have had very different lives than your own, living in your skin.

But where I'll take issue, is that you then go on to point at me as not having taken issue with (I think COVID risks) of the protests but not Trump's rallies...where have I done so..I've done the opposite, while, oh yeah pointing out the little nuance that most protestors, certainly the peaceful ones, have been wearing masks most of the time. Not so Trump supporters. And yeah, I think that matters, but not so much that the COVId risks don't disturb me about both.

Then you point at "your remedies" (meaning mine)...are you talking about the list I actually suggested, which was anything but facile, or are you just lumping me in with Democrats or Liberals or...?

I was quite clear that too many in the current GOP are satisfied with the status quo because they actually like their white supremacy and too many of the Dems have too long been satisfied with the status quo because it has kept African Americans dependent politically...but my policy prescriptions are far from facile or "sugar highs".

nah, you're just repeating right wing memes...

"re-writing history"???
We'll need to let you explain how rejecting celebrating and honoring the losers of the Lost Cause, removing their names and statues place in order to intimidate during the depths of Jim Crow is "re-writing history".

To my way of thinking, it's looking that history square in the eye and making a moral judgment as to who deserves such honors and who does not.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:57 am
get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:38 am

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

Could happen.

Yes, Trump is indeed Divider-In-Chief.
It's his entire political modus operandi.

But I really don't expect, at least from your posts, that you will understand this reality. You clearly have zero appreciation for the reality of your fellow Americans who have had very different lives than your own, living in your skin.

But where I'll take issue, is that you then go on to point at me as not having taken issue with (I think COVID risks) of the protests but not Trump's rallies...where have I done so..I've done the opposite, while, oh yeah pointing out the little nuance that most protestors, certainly the peaceful ones, have been wearing masks most of the time. Not so Trump supporters. And yeah, I think that matters, but not so much that the COVId risks don't disturb me about both.

Then you point at "your remedies" (meaning mine)...are you talking about the list I actually suggested, which was anything but facile, or are you just lumping me in with Democrats or Liberals or...?

I was quite clear that too many in the current GOP are satisfied with the status quo because they actually like their white supremacy and too many of the Dems have too long been satisfied with the status quo because it has kept African Americans dependent politically...but my policy prescriptions are far from facile or "sugar highs".

nah, you're just repeating right wing memes...

"re-writing history"???
We'll need to let you explain how rejecting celebrating and honoring the losers of the Lost Cause, removing their names and statues place in order to intimidate during the depths of Jim Crow is "re-writing history".

To my way of thinking, it's looking that history square in the eye and making a moral judgment as to who deserves such honors and who does not.

Sorry MD, but get to it x is right over the target with his post. It is an excellent summary of the two parties. It is you who is refusing to acknowledge reality and bias.
njbill

Post by njbill »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:15 pm The country of CHAZ is hysterical. You must watch the first 20 minutes of Tucker tonight. :oops:
Please, everyone who knows her, and he has known her forever, knows she is gay. Segment begins @ 28:20 and his facial expression never changes when she comments about her role in "Act Up". Please stop trying to assign motives to people who really, unlike you, hate identity politics.

I don’t know whether it was news to him or not, but certainly a lot of his viewers are homophobes. As you know, he has been going through some, shall we say, challenging times with his program’s sponsors. If he also loses viewership, that will only make matters worse.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:58 am

His expression never changed. What is it with the little-girl posts from the left to say something so clearly untrue?
Sounds like I hit a nerve with my posts about sending you to Mississippi. When you get there, the first thing you might want to do is make an appointment with an eye doctor. :lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

I spent 3 years of my life stationed at Ft Bragg. I spent 4 months at Ft Benning for basic, ait and then jump school. I think I understand this discussion as well as anybody. I do recognize that some US Army traditions die very hard. You have several generations of army personnel who served at Ft Bragg. They come in all colors and flavors. I have no problem with changing the name of Ft Bragg. My worries are how do you now deal with the history and tradition that surrounds the facility? Do you all pretend like they never existed? Does this become the same thing as the Tappan Zee Bridge becoming the freaking Mario Cuomo Bridge bacause King Andy shoveled a chit load if money to the folks in Hudson Valley ? No matter what the F**K they decide to call Ft Bragg, to this former paratrooper who called Ft Bragg my home. It will always and forever be Ft Bragg... Home of the Airborne. If that troubles any of you folks I don't care. I paid my dues in blood, sweat and on occasions my tears. Ft Bragg will always have a special place in my heart and you mother effers can change the name, and I understand why. If you ever think you can erase the memories of all of us that served there .... that ain't never gonna happen. Just out of curiosity... what should they change the name of Ft Bragg to? I am not against the name change. I understand that 100% It does create a huge issue for all of us people who stationed there. A huge very nasty can of worms is being opened up here. On a personal note does a name change also mean that that beloved stretch of blacktop called Longstreet Rd also goes away. Every damn paratrooper at Ft Bragg wore off alot of boot leather making the very long trip up and down that stretch if Rd. It is most famous for defying the laws of physics. No matter what direction you were humping, you were always going uphill. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:33 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:58 am

Sounds like I hit a nerve with my posts about sending you to Mississippi. When you get there, the first thing you might want to do is make an appointment with an eye doctor. :lol:
Actually, I don't see much change in expression by Tucker. He makes a snide sort of comment/question and then has pretty much the same rather negative, dumbfounded, perplexed look thereafter throughout her long response. He does squint a bit when she mentions being gay, and moves a little closer at another point, nods once or twice, but it's the same negative, open mouthed look throughout. At the end it's pretty clear he has little clue as to what her actual point was, and makes another snide comment, but she gives him a pass with a "that's right Tucker...".

We don't need to agree with her to see that she's leagues smarter than he is.

On the actual topic, sheesh, this stuff gets way too treacherous for those of us who have less exposure to folks' various sensibilities and the appropriate language of the day. Hard to keep up, for this old guy. However, seems to me that Rowling has plenty of access to such perspectives, as well as plenty of capacity to give and take in whatever uncomfortable discourse she may find herself in, so I don't think she needs any help from Fox pundits.

The Fox folks' only objective is to stir their viewership up...before we say 'same as' those who want to make a seemingly overly big deal out of not everyone being as aware of their perspectives as they want them to be at every moment, let's be clear that the Fox folks are all about the benjamins on this, not concerned with how someone in a minority position may actually feel and their desire to confront various prejudices.

If you want to say 'same as', I'd agree that we all too often see the same sort of stuff over at MSNBC etc.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:09 pm

."
inroads?
Dallas?

oops.

dominate the streets....

I spent 3 years of my life stationed at Ft Bragg. I spent 4 months at Ft Benning for basic, ait and then jump school. I think I understand this discussion as well as anybody. I do recognize that some US Army traditions die very hard. You have several generations of army personnel who served at Ft Bragg. They come in all colors and flavors. I have no problem with changing the name of Ft Bragg. My worries are how do you now deal with the history and tradition that surrounds the facility? Do you all pretend like they never existed? Does this become the same thing as the Tappan Zee Bridge becoming the freaking Mario Cuomo Bridge bacause King Andy shoveled a chit load if money to the folks in Hudson Valley ? No matter what the F**K they decide to call Ft Bragg, to this former paratrooper who called Ft Bragg my home. It will always and forever be Ft Bragg... Home of the Airborne. If that troubles any of you folks I don't care. I paid my dues in blood, sweat and on occasions my tears. Ft Bragg will always have a special place in my heart and you mother effers can change the name, and I understand why. If you ever think you can erase the memories of all of us that served there .... that ain't never gonna happen. Just out of curiosity... what should they change the name of Ft Bragg to? I am not against the name change. I understand that 100% It does create a huge issue for all of us people who stationed there. A huge very nasty can of worms is being opened up here. On a personal note does a name change also mean that that beloved stretch of blacktop called Longstreet Rd also goes away. Every damn paratrooper at Ft Bragg wore off alot of boot leather making the very long trip up and down that stretch if Rd. It is most famous for defying the laws of physics. No matter what direction you were humping, you were always going uphill. :roll:
cradle, you and all your fellow soldiers who wish to remember the base and the street by their old names are of course free to do so. No one will be erasing your memories.

Not sure why you would think so, this ain't Men in Black with a wand to erase memories.

But all those next generations of soldiers, making new memories, will do so without those names and their underlying message, (to which presumably you were oblivious back in your day.) The next generation will likely be aware of the base's former name and the message of inclusivity the current military and their country is sending by changing those names to honor soldiers who actually fought FOR the United States, not against it.

Presumably there have been lots and lots of heroes, of all "races", who have fought and many died for the US since the Civil War worthy of such honor. Some women too, presumably.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the United States' history is replete with such, right?

Return to “POLITICS”