Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU88

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by CU88 »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:19 pm
CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 pm Ray Ciccarelli (0-31 in his career) has announced his retirement from NASCAR due to their decision to ban confederate flags. NASCAR is scrambling to find someone else to regularly finish 28th.

It's no surprise. Ciccarelli has never been good at anything race-related.
Deadspin had a burning headline:
Driver Honors Confederacy by Retiring with Same Number of Wins
:lol:
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Remember the killing of Damon Gutzwiller of the Santa Cruz County Sheriff Office?
Man charged in deputy ambush scrawled extremist 'Boogaloo' phrases in blood

Steven Carrillo, accused of killing a sheriff's deputy in Santa Cruz County, California, wrote the words on the hood of a car, prosecutors said
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-cour ... d-n1230321
Steven Carrillo, a California man who was charged with murder after he ambushed two Santa Cruz County deputies, scrawled phrases tied to an online far-right extremist movement in blood on a car shortly before he was detained.

Carrillo killed Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller, critically injured another deputy and threw pipe bombs at police on June 6th, Santa Cruz District Attorney Jeffrey S. Rosell alleged on Thursday.

Before he was apprehended, Carrillo scrawled the word “boog” and “I became unreasonable” in blood on the hood of a car. “Boog” is short for boogaloo, a far-right anti-government movement that began on the extremist site 4chan and aims to start a second American civil war.

The phrase “I became unreasonable” has become a meme in public Boogaloo communities on Facebook, which discuss weapons and fantasize about a second civil war. One recent meme on Facebook shows a man holding a Boogaloo flag at a protest, along with the phrase “Become unreasonable.”

“I became unreasonable” is a reference to a quote written by Marvin Heemeyer, an anti-government extremist who bulldozed 13 buildings in Granby, Colorado, in retribution for a zoning dispute. Heemeyer killed himself after the rampage, which occurred on June 4, 2004, almost 16 years to the day of Carrillo’s attack.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 pm Ray Ciccarelli (0-31 in his career) has announced his retirement from NASCAR due to their decision to ban confederate flags. NASCAR is scrambling to find someone else to regularly finish 28th.

Actually the Confederacy had a lot of wins, and that is why the Civil War lasted so long. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Unsurprisingly, the country of CHAZ and their secession experiment may be coming to an end. I was giving them until the end of the month. Now the City is bringing in porta-potties and the police are back in the precinct cleaning up. Apparently the word "autonomous" is lost on them.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
ggait

Post by ggait »

Every woman in that series was a total badass. Name one that you wouldn't sleep with with one eye open!! (And no pervs, don't say Charlotte). I am sure I will have a "Darlene" nightmare one of these days.
Next season for Ozark is set up great. Good that they took care of Helen (whose story line had played out). So now it is a throw down between Darlene and Ruth vs. Marty, Wendy and the cartel.

That's gonna be some seriously twisted girl power on display.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
njbill

Post by njbill »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:15 pm The country of CHAZ is hysterical. You must watch the first 20 minutes of Tucker tonight. :oops:
The expression on his face when Tammy Bruce announced she is gay is priceless.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:15 pm The country of CHAZ is hysterical. You must watch the first 20 minutes of Tucker tonight. :oops:
The expression on his face when Tammy Bruce announced she is gay is priceless.
Please, everyone who knows her, and he has known her forever, knows she is gay. Segment begins @ 28:20 and his facial expression never changes when she comments about her role in "Act Up". Please stop trying to assign motives to people who really, unlike you, hate identity politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c30Wx8nWLuc
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

ggait wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:01 pm
Every woman in that series was a total badass. Name one that you wouldn't sleep with with one eye open!! (And no pervs, don't say Charlotte). I am sure I will have a "Darlene" nightmare one of these days.
Next season for Ozark is set up great. Good that they took care of Helen (whose story line had played out). So now it is a throw down between Darlene and Ruth vs. Marty, Wendy and the cartel.

That's gonna be some seriously twisted girl power on display.
Okay, this series is turning me into my late Grandmother in 1965, who had to watch her "shows", AKA Soap Operas. I am geeked about season 4. I have heard rumors that Ruth will turn out to be pregnant with Ben's baby.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Article in the Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ear-kente/

"My traditional cloth is not a prop.

On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and other members of the Democratic congressional leadership knelt for eight minutes and 46 seconds in tribute to the death of George Floyd. The kneeling was an appropriate gesture, but wearing African kente stoles, at that moment, was not.

Kente cloth is a traditional handwoven fabric that comes from the Akan peoples of Ghana. My father and half-brothers were born in Ghana, and my family has shaped my understanding of kente cloth.

My late grandfather’s kente cloth has hung in my parents’ living room for decades. The colorful, hand-woven fabric, in a design called Aberewa Bene (wise old lady), serves a dual purpose for us. It is the background for years of family photos. For visitors, the kente is a declaration of our family’s Ghanaian heritage. My father’s father died before I was born, but his cloth has allowed me to feel his presence throughout my life.

At my wedding, I asked my father and brothers to wear similar kente cloth robes as they walked down the aisle. And during my daughter’s outdooring, or naming ceremony, she was draped in yellow cloth as she was introduced to our community.

Those are the proper places for kente cloth. Monday’s display was an incorrect use, however well-intentioned. If you’re going to appropriate my culture, at least learn exactly what it is.

Last year, Ghana commemorated the 400th anniversary of the forced exodus of enslaved Africans to the United States. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus were among those who traveled to Ghana to commemorate the occasion, where they received kente cloths. In a similar gesture, the CBC provided kente cloths to fellow Democrats for Monday’s announcement of a police reform bill.

This was not the first time that members of the black caucus had worn kente cloths. “We have been wearing and displaying the kente cloth for a long time,” Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), chair of the caucus, told me. “Since [President] Trump, it has become a symbol of protest about his racist depiction of Africa. On Monday, we wore the kente because we felt that after 49 years [since the caucus was formed], we were finally getting legislation about police abuse.”

I get it. I have seen kente cloth worn at the State of the Union and other events as a badge of solidarity or respect — but Monday’s performance felt different. My first reaction to seeing the pictures of the lawmakers kneeling with kente stoles around their necks was of shock and confusion. The message that a kente cloth conveys did not match the kneeling or moment of silence.

The word “kente” derives from the expression “kea ԑnte,” meaning “no matter how hard you try, it won’t tear.” These cloths have specific names and convey unspoken yet strong messages. The stoles worn by the group were strips of a much larger fabric that is customarily worn in times of celebration.

Indeed, Democrats wrapped themselves in the colorful, bright kente, which can be considered inappropriate or insulting for somber moments. A more appropriate traditional cloth for death, especially a violent death, is a red and black adinkra cloth. If the lawmakers wanted a culturally authentic acknowledgment of the vile and inhumane death of George Floyd, they could have worn that cloth — or, better yet, simply worn red.

I am fortunate to be able to call relatives to discuss the history and importance of these symbols and how they relate to our culture. My family has a direct connection to my history that has been denied to many African Americans.

When enslaved Africans were brought to this country, they were stripped of their language and culture. Some elements survived, and traces are evident in the Gullah language and some “Southern” recipes. But so much more was lost. Broader use of the kente cloth in recent years has been part of some African Americans’ efforts to reclaim a lost heritage as well as a source of pride and connection to their African roots.

Every moment that features a kente cloth is not an affront. The cloths have been and will continue to be appropriated and mass-produced. I am proud that my traditional cloth has helped others feel connected to their ancestral home. I wouldn’t want the reactions to this episode to force others to not wear kente during celebratory occasions.

But at a time of national reflection, which includes a dialogue on what it is like to be black in the United States, congressional and all leaders need to be more sensitive about the messages they send, intentional or not.

This moment is a teachable one. America is at a crossroads, as many seek to acknowledge historical wrongs and injustices against African Americans. We cannot afford to remain ignorant of the richness and complexity of our heritage and roots
."
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:35 am Article in the Post:

On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.) and other members of the Democratic congressional leadership knelt for eight minutes and 46 seconds in tribute to the death of George Floyd. The kneeling was an appropriate gesture, but wearing African kente stoles, at that moment, was not.

Kente cloth is a traditional handwoven fabric that comes from the Akan peoples of Ghana. My father and half-brothers were born in Ghana, and my family has shaped my understanding of kente cloth.

My late grandfather’s kente cloth has hung in my parents’ living room for decades. The colorful, hand-woven fabric, in a design called Aberewa Bene (wise old lady), serves a dual purpose for us. It is the background for years of family photos. For visitors, the kente is a declaration of our family’s Ghanaian heritage. My father’s father died before I was born, but his cloth has allowed me to feel his presence throughout my life.

At my wedding, I asked my father and brothers to wear similar kente cloth robes as they walked down the aisle. And during my daughter’s outdooring, or naming ceremony, she was draped in yellow cloth as she was introduced to our community.

Those are the proper places for kente cloth. Monday’s display was an incorrect use, however well-intentioned. If you’re going to appropriate my culture, at least learn exactly what it is.

Last year, Ghana commemorated the 400th anniversary of the forced exodus of enslaved Africans to the United States. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus were among those who traveled to Ghana to commemorate the occasion, where they received kente cloths. In a similar gesture, the CBC provided kente cloths to fellow Democrats for Monday’s announcement of a police reform bill.

This was not the first time that members of the black caucus had worn kente cloths. “We have been wearing and displaying the kente cloth for a long time,” Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.), chair of the caucus, told me. “Since [President] Trump, it has become a symbol of protest about his racist depiction of Africa. On Monday, we wore the kente because we felt that after 49 years [since the caucus was formed], we were finally getting legislation about police abuse.”

I get it. I have seen kente cloth worn at the State of the Union and other events as a badge of solidarity or respect — but Monday’s performance felt different. My first reaction to seeing the pictures of the lawmakers kneeling with kente stoles around their necks was of shock and confusion. The message that a kente cloth conveys did not match the kneeling or moment of silence.

The word “kente” derives from the expression “kea ԑnte,” meaning “no matter how hard you try, it won’t tear.” These cloths have specific names and convey unspoken yet strong messages. The stoles worn by the group were strips of a much larger fabric that is customarily worn in times of celebration.

Indeed, Democrats wrapped themselves in the colorful, bright kente, which can be considered inappropriate or insulting for somber moments. A more appropriate traditional cloth for death, especially a violent death, is a red and black adinkra cloth. If the lawmakers wanted a culturally authentic acknowledgment of the vile and inhumane death of George Floyd, they could have worn that cloth — or, better yet, simply worn red.

I am fortunate to be able to call relatives to discuss the history and importance of these symbols and how they relate to our culture. My family has a direct connection to my history that has been denied to many African Americans.

When enslaved Africans were brought to this country, they were stripped of their language and culture. Some elements survived, and traces are evident in the Gullah language and some “Southern” recipes. But so much more was lost. Broader use of the kente cloth in recent years has been part of some African Americans’ efforts to reclaim a lost heritage as well as a source of pride and connection to their African roots.

Every moment that features a kente cloth is not an affront. The cloths have been and will continue to be appropriated and mass-produced. I am proud that my traditional cloth has helped others feel connected to their ancestral home. I wouldn’t want the reactions to this episode to force others to not wear kente during celebratory occasions.

But at a time of national reflection, which includes a dialogue on what it is like to be black in the United States, congressional and all leaders need to be more sensitive about the messages they send, intentional or not.

This moment is a teachable one. America is at a crossroads, as many seek to acknowledge historical wrongs and injustices against African Americans. We cannot afford to remain ignorant of the richness and complexity of our heritage and roots
."
Not props? As the author stated, they couldn't even be bothered to see if what they were wearing was appropriate for signifying a violent death. The Democrats are patronizing blacks, like they have forever. They also know Trump is making inroads with Black Americans. Did you watch the round table from Dallas yesterday?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Have to wonder if the CHAZ is actually a Republican operation. After all, it has:

1) Border walls.
2) Assault Rifles
3) A celebrity leader - Rapper Raz Simone
4) Wants to get rid of the liberal Mayor

The lack of self awareness of these goons and their zombie followers is breathtaking.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 pm

Actually the Confederacy had a lot of wins, and that is why the Civil War lasted so long. :idea:
So, Ciccarelli is more of a Loser than the the Lost Cause.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:12 am

."
Not props? As the author stated, they couldn't even be bothered to see if what they were wearing was appropriate for signifying a violent death. The Democrats are patronizing blacks, like they have forever. They also know Trump is making inroads with Black Americans. Did you watch the round table from Dallas yesterday?
inroads?
Dallas?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

quote=seacoaster post_id=156711 time=1591958151 user_id=319]
Article in the Post:

its a good point- a quick google would have gone a long way.

this was racially insensitive and appropriated someone elses culture for their own political gain.

i agree with this subheading: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/sh ... ves-matter
As Black Lives Matter protests yield results, it’s become harder to ignore the gulf between well-meaning but ultimately worthless gestures and real, radical change.

Ultimately, it reads as just the latest bit of performative absurdity from powerful people who’ve long avoided real accountability for causing or excusing Black suffering.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

."
You’re being sarcastic about inroads with black Americans, right? FFS, the moron spit in the face of every AA in the Dallas area by not inviting the Dallas DA, police chief, sheriff, or three local US congressional representatives - all of whom are black - to a round table supposedly about criminal justice.

The tone deaf idiot doesn’t give a rat’s rump about anything or anyone but himself.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:43 am

."
inroads?
Dallas?
Playing dumb isn't a good look for you, because we know you aren't dumb. If testimony of others is anything, they think Trump is making progress against injustice. Swallow your bile and watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFa6nAeeMUU

If you can't listen to Trump and his team, skip to the community leaders. If you can,though, I encourage you to at least listen to Carson and Barr.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:04 am

."
You’re being sarcastic about inroads with black Americans, right? FFS, the moron spit in the face of every AA in the Dallas area by not inviting the Dallas DA, police chief, sheriff, or three local US congressional representatives - all of whom are black - to a round table supposedly about criminal justice.

The tone deaf idiot doesn’t give a rat’s rump about anything or anyone but himself.
You're right. He's a racist. NBC had a weekly show with a known racist. The NAACP gave an award to a known racist. Alice Marie Johnson was released from prison by a known racist. Tim Scott enjoys working with a known racist. He immediately sent his racist justice department to Minneapolis to investigate George Floyd's death. His creation of a policing commission (first since LBJ) shows his racism. His call for parental choice in education is obviously a wink to the KKK.

All of those people you cited are politicians, many of whom have let Black Dallas residents down. This event was about listening to the community, not it's nakedly political leaders.

Funny how Trump wasn't a racist until he became President. Racist, Hitler, Fascist and all of your other labels are for lazy thinking liberals who can't argue against Trump's successes and his desire to actually help all Americans reach their full potential.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:24 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:43 am

."
inroads?
Dallas?
Playing dumb isn't a good look for you, because we know you aren't dumb. If testimony of others is anything, they think Trump is making progress against injustice. Swallow your bile and watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFa6nAeeMUU

If you can't listen to Trump and his team, skip to the community leaders. If you can,though, I encourage you to at least listen to Carson and Barr.
Playing dumb? You can start by not calling it a round table and calling it what it was. He was sitting and reading from canned remarks to a bunch of hand picked republican election workers. It was a practice pep rally pre-cursor to a target audience for his Juneteenth rally to see if his tone deaf messages will continue to work with his lemmings.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:04 am

."

You're right. He's a racist. NBC had a weekly show with a known racist. The NAACP gave an award to a known racist. Alice Marie Johnson was released from prison by a known racist. Tim Scott enjoys working with a known racist. He immediately sent his racist justice department to Minneapolis to investigate George Floyd's death. His creation of a policing commission (first since LBJ) shows his racism. His call for parental choice in education is obviously a wink to the KKK.

All of those people you cited are politicians, many of whom have let Black Dallas residents down. This event was about listening to the community, not it's nakedly political leaders.

Funny how Trump wasn't a racist until he became President. Racist, Hitler, Fascist and all of your other labels are for lazy thinking liberals who can't argue against Trump's successes and his desire to actually help all Americans reach their full potential.
Stop. You’re embarrassing yourself. Go to the Charlottesville videotape.

By the way, not a liberal by any means. Just a fiscally conservative, socially moderate R with an incredibly strong case of TDS. I’d be against any president who was this unethical, narcissistic, and lying, and incapable of keeping high level appointees in their jobs for anything more than a few months.
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

get it to x wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:45 am (omitted)

Oh no - Trump has been a racist forever, and in fact was brought up that way.

A good summary of his racist behavior since the early 70s: https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12270880/ ... sm-history
Here’s a breakdown of Trump’s history, taken largely from Dara Lind’s list for Vox and an op-ed by Nicholas Kristof in the New York Times:

1973: The US Department of Justice — under the Nixon administration, out of all administrations — sued the Trump Management Corporation for violating the Fair Housing Act. Federal officials found evidence that Trump had refused to rent to black tenants and lied to black applicants about whether apartments were available, among other accusations. Trump said the federal government was trying to get him to rent to welfare recipients. In the aftermath, he signed an agreement in 1975 agreeing not to discriminate to renters of color without admitting to discriminating before.
1980s: Kip Brown, a former employee at Trump’s Castle, accused another one of Trump’s businesses of discrimination. “When Donald and Ivana came to the casino, the bosses would order all the black people off the floor,” Brown said. “It was the eighties, I was a teenager, but I remember it: They put us all in the back.”
1988: In a commencement speech at Lehigh University, Trump spent much of his speech accusing countries like Japan of “stripping the United States of economic dignity.” This matches much of his current rhetoric on China.
1989: In a controversial case that’s been characterized as a modern-day lynching, four black teenagers and one Latino teenager — the “Central Park Five” — were accused of attacking and raping a jogger in New York City. Trump immediately took charge in the case, running an ad in local papers demanding, “BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY. BRING BACK OUR POLICE!” The teens’ convictions were later vacated after they spent seven to 13 years in prison, and the city paid $41 million in a settlement to the teens. But Trump in October 2016 said he still believes they’re guilty, despite the DNA evidence to the contrary.
1991: A book by John O’Donnell, former president of Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, quoted Trump’s criticism of a black accountant: “Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day. … I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.” Trump at first denied the remarks, but later said in a 1997 Playboy interview that “the stuff O’Donnell wrote about me is probably true.”
1992: The Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino had to pay a $200,000 fine because it transferred black and women dealers off tables to accommodate a big-time gambler’s prejudices.
1993: In congressional testimony, Trump said that some Native American reservations operating casinos shouldn’t be allowed because “they don’t look like Indians to me.”
2000: In opposition to a casino proposed by the St. Regis Mohawk tribe, which he saw as a financial threat to his casinos in Atlantic City, Trump secretly ran a series of ads suggesting the tribe had a “record of criminal activity [that] is well documented.”
2004: In season two of The Apprentice, Trump fired Kevin Allen, a black contestant, for being overeducated. “You’re an unbelievably talented guy in terms of education, and you haven’t done anything,” Trump said on the show. “At some point you have to say, ‘That’s enough.’”
2005: Trump publicly pitched what was essentially The Apprentice: White People vs. Black People. He said he “wasn’t particularly happy” with the most recent season of his show, so he was considering “an idea that is fairly controversial — creating a team of successful African Americans versus a team of successful whites. Whether people like that idea or not, it is somewhat reflective of our very vicious world.”
2010: In 2010, there was a huge national controversy over the “Ground Zero Mosque” — a proposal to build a Muslim community center in Lower Manhattan, near the site of the 9/11 attacks. Trump opposed the project, calling it “insensitive,” and offered to buy out one of the investors in the project. On The Late Show With David Letterman, Trump argued, referring to Muslims, “Well, somebody’s blowing us up. Somebody’s blowing up buildings, and somebody’s doing lots of bad stuff.”
2011: Trump played a big role in pushing false rumors that Obama — the country’s first black president — was not born in the US. He even sent investigators to Hawaii to look into Obama’s birth certificate. Obama later released his birth certificate, calling Trump a ”carnival barker.” (The research has found a strong correlation between “birtherism,” as this conspiracy theory is called, and racism.) Trump has reportedly continued pushing this conspiracy theory in private.
2011: While Trump suggested that Obama wasn’t born in the US, he also argued that maybe Obama wasn’t a good enough student to have gotten into Columbia or Harvard Law School, and demanded Obama release his university transcripts. Trump claimed, “I heard he was a terrible student. Terrible. How does a bad student go to Columbia and then to Harvard?”

For many people, none of these incidents, individually, may be totally damning: One of these alone might suggest that Trump is simply a bad speaker and perhaps racially insensitive (“politically incorrect,” as he would put it), but not overtly racist.

But when you put all these events together, a clear pattern emerges. At the very least, Trump has a history of playing into people’s racism to bolster himself — and that likely says something about him too.

Return to “POLITICS”