All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:02 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:01 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:47 am I don't agree that we're not seeing lots and lots of clusters of those who seem oblivious. Did you see our VP's picture of his campaign staff yesterday?
Where did I say that we weren't. That's why I oppose allowing the protests at this time.
They remain a serious threat to public health, at this time.

How did Newsom overlook the dog parks ?
I have no idea about California, my hunch would be that dogs need to poop somewhere. As we have 40 acres for dogs to run on, it's not been something I've investigated. :)

I very much disagree about the protests, and felt that way even back when the protests were right wing 'open up' protests. I criticized bringing guns and Confederate flags and partisan campaign paraphernalia and definitely the apparent attitudes of so many of those protestors flaunting their disregard of wearing masks in the face of police as well as their knucklehead buddies...but not "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Even in a time of pandemic.

And I'm similarly critical of those who have not worn masks, especially as they yell in the faces of police, in these protests for racial justice. The big difference, of course, being that not wearing masks is not being used as itself a protest, just people too preoccupied with their emotions to care enough about others' health. But way, way higher % of these protestors are wearing masks.

Personally, I think wearing masks in public should be mandated during the pandemic, not optional. A fine. Like driving over the speed limit, it's really about the endangerment of others more than oneself.
So....you DID lie about not leaving your house. Very, very telling.
Huh?
"leaving my house" ?

You mean not going off my property? I've done so 3 times in 3 months.
Wife has usually been the designated 'shopper' once a week, deliveries otherwise.
Have I said otherwise? :roll:

I'm looking forward to doing more, but we're fortunate to not have the same challenges many do.

Meanwhile, we've begun having a couple of guests at a time for a 'distanced' evening libation on our patio. Our friends and my mom's (who lives with us) are mostly in the 'at risk' age zone, so we try to keep it reasonably safe, yet do have some social interaction. super important to my mom, and it's definitely improved my spirits...and level of conversation!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:29 pm Whoopsie

Dr. Deborah Birx said that recent demonstrations have destroyed a "significant" number of coronavirus testing sites.

On Monday, Birx, the response coordinator for the White House coronavirus task force, told governors on a phone call that protests that erupted into violence following the death of George Floyd led to the destruction of 70 COVID-19 testing sites, making those in inner-city areas more susceptible to having undocumented infections.

"We got a significant number of our testing sites that were serving inner-city groups destroyed at the beginning of the protests. So, there were a lot of pharmacies, and we can see the testing rates in some of the urban areas starting to decline," Birx said in a phone call first obtained by the Daily Beast. "And we did lose a significant — I think 70 testing sites that were in urban areas. So, all of the governors are going to have to scramble to make sure there is testing available in those urban areas," Birx said.
Some were indeed idiots.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:29 pm i have a question.

if you refer to someone as a "karen", isnt that a microaggression?

maybe even racist (?).
Well you've certainly ruffled their safe space.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:33 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:29 pm i have a question.

if you refer to someone as a "karen", isnt that a microaggression?

maybe even racist (?).
Well you've certainly ruffled their safe space.
This is the best definition of a "Karen" I have seen. Since a "Karen" is a white woman, it can't be racist, only sexist.

"Karen is a mocking slang term for an entitled, obnoxious, middle-aged white woman. Especially as featured in memes, Karen is generally stereotyped as having a blonde bob haircut, asking to speak to retail and restaurant managers to voice complaints or make demands, and being a nagging, often divorced mother from Generation X."

edit: Now that I think about it, it isn't confined to females. We may have a few male "Karens" on this site (you know who you are!!) and my brother-in-law is definitely a "Karen".
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Dr. Deborah Birx said that recent demonstrations have destroyed a "significant" number of coronavirus testing sites.

On Monday, Birx, the response coordinator for the White House coronavirus task force, told governors on a phone call that protests that erupted into violence following the death of George Floyd led to the destruction of 70 COVID-19 testing sites, making those in inner-city areas more susceptible to having undocumented infections.

"We got a significant number of our testing sites that were serving inner-city groups destroyed at the beginning of the protests. So, there were a lot of pharmacies, and we can see the testing rates in some of the urban areas starting to decline," Birx said in a phone call first obtained by the Daily Beast. "And we did lose a significant — I think 70 testing sites that were in urban areas. So, all of the governors are going to have to scramble to make sure there is testing available in those urban areas," Birx said.
Has this been confirmed by anyone independent of the White House?? :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:12 pm

WaPo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/s ... story.html

Some fraction is just closures, and some in areas where there are other sites for testing. (Lots of pharmacies like Rite Aid shutting down locations until more settled conditions).
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:19 pm

Some fraction is just closures, and some in areas where there are other sites for testing. (Lots of pharmacies like Rite Aid shutting down locations until more settled conditions).
…. temporarily closing is not the same as being "destroyed". :roll: Sounds like very few if any actually destroyed.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

njbill

Post by njbill »

Pete would appreciate it if you could give him some updates on Mississippi since he will be moving there after the election. I heard he is looking for waterfront property in Big Mouth, Mississippi so he’ll feel at home.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.hospimedica.com/covid-19/ar ... cells.html
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2349-y

didn't see this when study came out in may. not sure if someone posted or commented on it.
sounds promising. sars patient from 2003 has antibodies, particularly one of them that may/may not be better in combination with other mAbs from sars, that neutralize the covid 2 virus in vitro and might kick up the immune system as well.
some possible other benefits if true in real life?
- immunity-ish for people who contract covid 2. maybe even long term. this is a stab from an amateur, but at least it sounds reasonable. is S309 or something similar acting in the covid 2 antibody mix?
- vir biotechnology (along with gsk) can evidently turn it around into a therapeutic and maybe vaccine.
- mechanism/timing/target? to neutralize in the disease process also makes it difficult for virus to mutate on it to render the antibody ineffective.
- we have been warned more coronaviruses are coming in the future.

CSO Herbert "Skip" Virgin, M.D., Ph.D., says, “Remarkably, we believe S309 likely covers the entire family of related coronaviruses, which suggests that, even as SARS-CoV-2 continues to evolve, it may be quite challenging for it to become resistant to the neutralizing activity of S309. In addition, S309 exhibits potent effector function in vitro, potentially allowing the antibody to engage and recruit the rest of the immune system to kill off already infected cells. We have seen in animal models of other respiratory infections, such as influenza, that effector function significantly enhances the activity of antibodies that are already potently neutralizing.”

vir also has a recent post up about all that's necessary to get things going on a faster path in a pandemic, posted about this very route in april in nature as well by dr. brian kelley, sr vp of process development and manuf:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41587-020-0512-5

before i get ahead of myself, yes, it was in the lab. hcq was effective in vitro and of course lots of people have said that doesn't work. however, mAbs- monoclonal antibodies have had the most success vs the very deadly ebola virus, and without trials really being an option. and vir has a big time partner here in gsk. they also work with bill and melinda on something.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:41 pm https://www.hospimedica.com/covid-19/ar ... cells.html

didn't see this when study came out in may. not sure if someone posted or commented on it.
sounds promising. sars patient from 2003 has antibodies, particularly one of them that may/may not be better in combination with other mAbs from sars, that neutralize the covid 2 virus in vitro and might kick up the immune system as well.
- immunity-ish for people who contract covid 2. maybe even long term. this is a stab from an amateur, but at least it sounds reasonable. is S309 or something similar acting in the covid 2 antibody mix?
- vir biotechnology (along with gsk) can evidently turn it around into a therapeutic and maybe vaccine.
- mechanism/timing/target? to neutralize in the disease process also makes it difficult for virus to mutate on it to render the antibody ineffective.

CSO Herbert "Skip" Virgin, M.D., Ph.D., says, “Remarkably, we believe S309 likely covers the entire family of related coronaviruses, which suggests that, even as SARS-CoV-2 continues to evolve, it may be quite challenging for it to become resistant to the neutralizing activity of S309. In addition, S309 exhibits potent effector function in vitro, potentially allowing the antibody to engage and recruit the rest of the immune system to kill off already infected cells. We have seen in animal models of other respiratory infections, such as influenza, that effector function significantly enhances the activity of antibodies that are already potently neutralizing.”

vir also has a recent post up about all that's necessary to get things going on a faster path in a pandemic, posted about this very route in april in nature as well by dr. brian kelley, sr vp of process development and manuf:

before i get ahead of myself, yes, it was in the lab. hcq was effective in vitro and of course lots of people have said that doesn't work. however, mAbs- monoclonal antibodies have had the most success vs the very deadly ebola virus, and without trials really being an option. and vir has a big time partner here in gsk. they also work with bill and melinda on something.
Thanks for posting this wgdsr, even for an "amateur" :D

Let's hope we see a sequel to this in the Good News thread in the not too distant future.

BTW, you probably know more than 90% of CDC and WHO combined... ;)

Now where is Bart, another favorite amateur microbiologist on here, to concur? :D
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:32 pm

…. temporarily closing is not the same as being "destroyed". :roll: Sounds like very few if any actually destroyed.
The business may have been looted, or the building torched, but drive thru testing remains available.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:41 pm https://www.hospimedica.com/covid-19/ar ... cells.html

Is this just another name for hydroxychloroquine?
“I wish you would!”
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

With all of the cash this government and others are throwing at it the R&D cost is covered. It's like a PGA Invitational Tournament. Everyone get's a check, the winner get's the big payoff. Playing with house money. I'm confident a vaccine and therapies are not far off. Not imminent, but not far off.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Is this just another name for hydroxychloroquine?
HCQ cures everything and makes your pecker bigger. Just ask Dr. Orange Duce, he'll tell you the truth. :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:47 pm

The business may have been looted, or the building torched, but drive thru testing remains available.
.. if only they had killed some scumbag republicans the day would have been perfect.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Handheld Ultrasound Devices Are Speeding Diagnosis of COVID-19

Doctors can triage and monitor patients faster—and sometimes more accurately—with the aid of the pocket-size machines
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -covid-19/
When patients with a new disease called COVID-19 started pouring into his hospital, pulmonary and critical care physician Bilal Jalil found himself turning to a pocket-size device he had been using to quickly check heart function in his private practice. It was a handheld point-of-care ultrasound, or POCUS, which consists of a simple probe that can broadcast ultrasound images to a display tablet or phone. The tool proved invaluable in making critical triage choices: within minutes Jalil, who works in the intensive care unit in the Baylor Scott & White Health system in Texas, could see if someone’s lungs were affected enough to require intensive care.

Many emergency care doctors around the world have begun relying on POCUS units as a first line of defense in confronting COVID-19. Blood tests sometimes take 24 hours, and CT scan rooms have long waits. But these little ultrasound gadgets can reveal lung damage on the spot, showing doctors whether individuals can breathe independently or need to be immediately put on ventilators.

“Some patients didn’t have very severe symptoms, but the ultrasound showed that lungs were really damaged,” says Alexandra Gonçalves, chief medical officer of strategy and partnerships at Philips, which makes a handheld ultrasound device called Lumify. At least one study found another POCUS unit diagnosed COVID-19 more accurately than the standard nasal-swab test, she says. Even when a swab test showed a false negative for coronavirus, ultrasound could prove that the lungs were inflamed. Handheld machines will not replace the existing diagnosis standards but should be part of the toolbox, doctors say.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:08 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:47 pm

.. if only they had killed some scumbag republicans the day would have been perfect.
Oh so this is an example of the intelligence mdlax was referring to :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:04 pm HCQ makes your pecker bigger. :lol:
I knew there was a reason they didn’t want us to take it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”