Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
get it to x

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by get it to x »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 pm
get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:08 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm Did everyone see the President’s response to this?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... es/612832/

It’s six sentences long, and the WH Press Item said “he spent quite a bit of time on it.”
About one in one hundred people knew anything about any of these generals. Because you're fresh out of ideas to help Black people, and you actually have policies harmful to them this is your way to show you care. It's total symbolism. It doesn't get one unjustly sentenced Black person out of jail. It doesn't give them survival skills, economically or socially. It's like heroin, it temporarily feels good but in the long run it's wasting valuable time and winds up doing actual harm by seeking to divide us.
You’re amusing.

Things President Trump is against:

- changing Confederate names of U.S. Army bases

- removing Confederate statues and monuments

- athletes silently protesting police brutality and racial injustice

- putting Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill
Again, all symbolism. Criminal Justice Reform, First Step Act, Opportunity Zones, HBCU. Not to mention jobs and support of vouchers. Deeds, not words. A chance for dignity means a lot more than a bunch of ephemeral symbols that do nothing but satisfy white liberals guilt. Was slavery a stain? Absolutely. It was a crime against man. But no slaves are alive in America today. Plenty of current black slaves in other countries, but they don't vote here so they aren't worth much to Dems.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:05 pm Again, all symbolism. Criminal Justice Reform, First Step Act, Opportunity Zones, HBCU. Not to mention jobs and support of vouchers. Deeds, not words. A chance for dignity means a lot more than a bunch of ephemeral symbols that do nothing but satisfy white liberals guilt. Was slavery a stain? Absolutely. It was a crime against man. But no slaves are alive in America today. Plenty of current black slaves in other countries, but they don't vote here so they aren't worth much to Dems.
We've had opportunity zones since I was a kid. Talking about them as if they're new is yet another Trump Trick.

How rich do you think Trump has gotten off of those *hitty, corrupt "opportunity" programs that make the problems worse by lining rich white guy's pockets?

And then corporations go into those zones, taking advantage of this stupid game of not paying taxes on said property.

And then the very same people sitting at this table can't figure out why they don't have enough money for schools. Why don't they have enough money? Because the only people who pay full taxes are guys like me who don't have people like Trump on speed dial. So what happens? Small business owned by minorities are choked with regulations and taxes, and the people in that room, who own pieces in corporations and other companies make a small fortune, and pay next to no taxes.

Rinse. Repeat. This has been the Republican way for DECADES. And the D's jumped in to this game in the 90's not wanting to be left out.

And these people claim they want Right wing solutions to these problems? :lol: :lol: No they don't. A right wing solution would mean: no opportunity zones, every business pays full, equal taxes with no freaking BS tax breaks. Let the market sort it out. THAT is the right wing solution.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 pm
get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:05 pm Again, all symbolism. Criminal Justice Reform, First Step Act, Opportunity Zones, HBCU. Not to mention jobs and support of vouchers. Deeds, not words. A chance for dignity means a lot more than a bunch of ephemeral symbols that do nothing but satisfy white liberals guilt. Was slavery a stain? Absolutely. It was a crime against man. But no slaves are alive in America today. Plenty of current black slaves in other countries, but they don't vote here so they aren't worth much to Dems.
We've had opportunity zones since I was a kid. Talking about them as if they're new is yet another Trump Trick.

How rich do you think Trump has gotten off of those *hitty, corrupt "opportunity" programs that make the problems worse by lining rich white guy's pockets?

And then corporations go into those zones, taking advantage of this stupid game of not paying taxes on said property.

And then the very same people sitting at this table can't figure out why they don't have enough money for schools. Why don't they have enough money? Because the only people who pay full taxes are guys like me who don't have people like Trump on speed dial. So what happens? Small business owned by minorities are choked with regulations and taxes, and the people in that room, who own pieces in corporations and other companies make a small fortune, and pay next to no taxes.

Rinse. Repeat. This has been the Republican way for DECADES. And the D's jumped in to this game in the 90's not wanting to be left out.

And these people claim they want Right wing solutions to these problems? :lol: :lol: No they don't. A right wing solution would mean: no opportunity zones, every business pays full, equal taxes with no freaking BS tax breaks. Let the market sort it out. THAT is the right wing solution.
So pick a lane....what’s a country to do?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 pm

You can have all of the programs you want but if you don't prepare people to take advantage of them what's the point? You want money for schools? Put vouchers in the hands of parents and let them decide where to send their kids. Find a way to get them there and back home safely. Don't socially promote them. Teach them STEM and business skills as well as personal financial management. Give them a road map to success.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Anybody watch the discussion on Racism in Lacrosse on Laxsn tonight?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:57 pm Anybody watch the discussion on Racism in Lacrosse on Laxsn tonight?
I saw some of it. I got a link at a bad time. I plan on going back to watch it.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:07 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:31 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:42 pm Hey, who wouldn't join a cause for a economic system whose profitability and survival was based upon an endless supply of FREE labor?
...yet they still LOST. think about that.

The only reason they all weren't executed as traitors was because forward-looking leaders like Lincoln and Grant wanted to heal a reunited nation.
Those supporters won in the short term but Lincoln was killed resulting in an occupied Reconstruction South until the pols made a deal in the election of 1876 wherein the Republicans traded a win in the election in return for removal of troops from the South and the reinstatement of the white/former Confederacy without slavery but with all of the other racial accoutrements that came with it.

DOPUS' now fervent support of the Confederacy and its Lost Cause reminds me of another country where the guy who led the uprising still has a
mausoleum in his memory in Red Square. Lenin won before he ultimately lost you know. No wonder Salty is with these guys. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So tell us Prof Dolores, how is Trump fervently supporting the Confederacy & it's Lost Cause ?
I'm not with either side. My namesake was a volunteer in a German immigrant regiment formed at Jefferson Barracks. He lost a leg.
It's history. I'm interested in what happened & why, without contemporary woke distortions.
Time for you to throw Gen. Petraeus under the bus as you have all of the other military officers you used to support ...until you didn't....
Nostrovia Comrade!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm fine with changing the names to the winners. That's what we want to instill. It's an easy sop to the Woke Mob.

Neither do I have a problem with the retired flags cautioning against invoking the Insurrection Act.
It was needed covering fire for Espey & Milley.
It helped educate the public on the difference between active duty & NG forces.
Last edited by old salt on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DocBarrister

Racist Republican Voter Suppression Efforts

Post by DocBarrister »

The Republican Party and Trump seem more outraged by phony claims of widespread voter fraud than they are about an uncomfortably-high percentage of black and brown voters being denied the vote. The Bipartisan Policy Center estimates that maybe a half million failed to vote in 2016 because of polling problems.

The legacy of this era will be with us long after Trump has left the White House. The GOP has made it clear that it would rather keep black people from voting than trying to win them over. That's why what happened in Georgia Tuesday and what Abrams did in 2018 are so important.

They show a party more committed to retaining power than it is to the principles of democracy, and demonstrate the power of Abrams' appeal as part of a new guard that won't be bullied into looking the other way while constitutional rights are at stake.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/opinions ... index.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 pm How Minneapolis residents took control of their own safety:

What Happened When the Minneapolis Police Lost Legitimacy?

Ordinary people took control of their own safety.
Nice job. There's nothing left to protect.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:07 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 pm How Minneapolis residents took control of their own safety:

= All Lives Don't Matter

The 99.999% of homes and businesses still there, the 99.9999% of lives still there are apparently nothing.
old salt

Post by old salt »

holmes435 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:29 pm

= All Lives Don't Matter

The 99.999% of homes and businesses still there, the 99.9999% of lives still there are apparently nothing.
Tell that to the elderly black lady on the news who was in tears because she no has no place within walking distance to get food or her Rx's.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:40 pm

= All Lives Don't Matter

Tell that to the elderly black lady on the news who was in tears because she no has no place within walking distance to get food or her Rx's.
It's great to see you're coming around to their plights and fighting for their rights - the poor have been forced to deal with food and pharmacy deserts for 50+ years due to the system. Not an easy road, and nearly impossible to improve ones condition. We've been fighting for this for decades, it's nice to have another ally.
old salt

Post by old salt »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:06 am

= All Lives Don't Matter

It's great to see you're coming around to their plights and fighting for their rights - the poor have been forced to deal with food and pharmacy deserts for 50+ years due to the system. Not an easy road, and nearly impossible to improve ones condition. We've been fighting for this for decades, it's nice to have another ally.
Right. Imagine my surprise. I volunteered driving meals on wheels my last 12 years residing in SoMd.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:19 am

= All Lives Don't Matter

Right. Imagine my surprise. I volunteered driving meals on wheels my last 12 years residing in SoMd.
Had a girlfriend who worked at Nicoletti's and I lived in Delaware for a spat, very familiar with the area.

It's nice to see private companies like meals on wheels there, but they're not improving prospects for the poor, they're providing the bare minimum of essentials as a non-profit. It's a noble cause and I've worked with them as well, but it's a bandaid on a canonball wound. How many customers have you seen moved off of MOW?
old salt

Post by old salt »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:36 am
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:19 am

= All Lives Don't Matter

Had a girlfriend who worked at Nicoletti's and I lived in Delaware for a spat, very familiar with the area.

It's nice to see private companies like meals on wheels there, but they're not improving prospects for the poor, they're providing the bare minimum of essentials as a non-profit. It's a noble cause and I've worked with them as well, but it's a bandaid on a canonball wound. How many customers have you seen moved off of MOW?
Nicoletti's was our fav lunch spot during my 2nd career at the nearby county airport.
Our owner/boss, his wife & kids were good friends with Bruce & his family. We flew 'em to nearby vacation spots once, maybe more.
I lived just across the bridge in Calvert Co. They had a great meals on wheels program run by the County's Dept of Soc Services.
Most were seniors & stayed on until they passed or moved into nursing homes.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:00 am Nicoletti's was our fav lunch spot during my 2nd career at the nearby county airport.
Our owner/boss, his wife & kids were good friends with Bruce & his family. We flew 'em to nearby vacation spots once, maybe more.
I lived just across the bridge in Calvert Co. They had a great meals on wheels program run by the County's Dept of Soc Services.
Ok now it's awkward - I didn't want to out myself but it was Bruce's daughter I dated for a hot minute, she's now in NC. Like a fan annoyingly always says, we probably have a lot more in common in most respects and would get along in person if we had the chance. Godspeed.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:24 am
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:00 am Nicoletti's was our fav lunch spot during my 2nd career at the nearby county airport.
Ok now it's awkward - I didn't want to out myself but it was Bruce's daughter I dated for a hot minute, she's now in NC. Like a fan annoyingly always says, we probably have a lot more in common in most respects and would get along in person if we had the chance. Godspeed.
Can someone explain to me why St Mary's/Calvert Counties are the only places I've ever seen 10 oz. cans of Budweiser? Beautiful area. My daughter went to St. Mary's College of Md.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... _down.html

Now that we are getting rid of those confederate statues, lets take care of those other slave owning rich white bazhdids that started this country.
Nobody here saw the next step that was coming and was right in front of your noses? :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:32 am
holmes435 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:24 am
Can someone explain to me why St Mary's/Calvert Counties are the only places I've ever seen 10 oz. cans of Budweiser? Beautiful area. My daughter went to St. Mary's College of Md.
Demand....it goes down smoother and the last sip is danged near the same as the first. It's not that leftover, backwashed warm last sip you take just to finish it. Some same it fits the hand better....I'd speculate that you can hold the beer and have a Marlboro Red in the same hand and neither get in the way of each other. I also have ties with SMCM...small world.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”