Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by cradleandshoot »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:51 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:44 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:40 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:37 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:30 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:12 pm You can tell things have changed a bit - this just in: NASCAR has just banned the Confederate flag from its races/properties.
What next? they gonna ban beer too? ;) a smart move for NASCAR, things may really be starting to change.
you still haven't addressed the issue: What were the Buffalo copperpigs doing blocking/clearing the public streets? Please tell us what they were doing there in the first place. Practicing?
What is the point? your starting to sink into Brooksie land with your newfound gibberish. :roll: Have a wonderful evening trips.
You are now being a coward. It's pretty obvious what I am asking.

What were the police doing their, in riot gear, in the first place?
You swore an oath.....to defend this kind of action by the police? Public sidewalk. What authority do they have from blocking me. Showing up like that ?

Why were the cops there in the first place. Simple question. The fact that you won't answer is lame......
Clearly they were there to hunt down some old guy, push him to the ground and crack his skull open. You are rapidly becoming the new Brooksie. You have a new found love of all you can eat buffets? :lol:
oh....I get it now.

Clearly, no poor eating choices are evah made while on booze type drugs. On average, even at our age, I would easily win this bet.

Stoners are in way better shape than drunks.
"Stoners are in way better shape than drunks."

If you say so... :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
ggait

Post by ggait »

I'd also recommend Ron Chernow's recent biography on Grant
Good tip. Chernow has written some great books -- Washington, Hamilton, Rockefeller, JP Morgan.

Reviews say the book is decidedly pro-Grant. Interesting since he usually gets ranked as one of the worst presidents.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:01 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:51 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:44 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:40 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:37 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:30 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:22 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:12 pm You can tell things have changed a bit - this just in: NASCAR has just banned the Confederate flag from its races/properties.
What next? they gonna ban beer too? ;) a smart move for NASCAR, things may really be starting to change.
you still haven't addressed the issue: What were the Buffalo copperpigs doing blocking/clearing the public streets? Please tell us what they were doing there in the first place. Practicing?
What is the point? your starting to sink into Brooksie land with your newfound gibberish. :roll: Have a wonderful evening trips.
You are now being a coward. It's pretty obvious what I am asking.

What were the police doing their, in riot gear, in the first place?
You swore an oath.....to defend this kind of action by the police? Public sidewalk. What authority do they have from blocking me. Showing up like that ?

Why were the cops there in the first place. Simple question. The fact that you won't answer is lame......
Clearly they were there to hunt down some old guy, push him to the ground and crack his skull open. You are rapidly becoming the new Brooksie. You have a new found love of all you can eat buffets? :lol:
oh....I get it now.

Clearly, no poor eating choices are evah made while on booze type drugs. On average, even at our age, I would easily win this bet.

Stoners are in way better shape than drunks.
"Stoners are in way better shape than drunks."

If you say so... :roll:
I can understand now, why mdlaxfan spends so much time with you.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

ggait wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:16 pm
I'd also recommend Ron Chernow's recent biography on Grant
Good tip. Chernow has written some great books -- Washington, Hamilton, Rockefeller, JP Morgan.

Reviews say the book is decidedly pro-Grant. Interesting since he usually gets ranked as one of the worst presidents.
revisting shelby footes stuff.....tough to read, without seeing his cherubic face giggling with glee
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:27 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:16 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:02 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:01 pm Then just by the book, which I'd never heard of. Apparently was very popular in the 60s/70s.
buy the book?

Where? Books stores aren't open.

, say it, say it......ahhhhh AAAA MAZON ;) :o
Try Commonwealth Books. It’s open.
No, it's not.
You sure?
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:42 pm Hey, who wouldn't join a cause for a economic system whose profitability and survival was based upon an endless supply of FREE labor?
...yet they still LOST. think about that.

The only reason they all weren't executed as traitors was because forward-looking leaders like Lincoln and Grant wanted to heal a reunited nation.
Those supporters won in the short term but Lincoln was killed resulting in an occupied Reconstruction South until the pols made a deal in the election of 1876 wherein the Republicans traded a win in the election in return for removal of troops from the South and the reinstatement of the white/former Confederacy without slavery but with all of the other racial accoutrements that came with it.

DOPUS' now fervent support of the Confederacy and its Lost Cause reminds me of another country where the guy who led the uprising still has a
mausoleum in his memory in Red Square. Lenin won before he ultimately lost you know. No wonder Salty is with these guys. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So tell us Prof Dolores, how is Trump fervently supporting the Confederacy & it's Lost Cause ?
I'm not with either side. My namesake was a volunteer in a German immigrant regiment formed at Jefferson Barracks. He lost a leg.
It's history. I'm interested in what happened & why, without contemporary woke distortions.
DocBarrister

NASCAR bans racist Confederate flags.

Post by DocBarrister »

Excellent development.

NASCAR announced on Wednesday it would ban Confederate flags from its events, two days after the only black driver in the league's top series called on NASCAR to make the change.

The flag will no longer be allowed at races or displayed at any NASCAR properties, the league said in a statement posted to its Twitter account.

"The presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans, our competitors, and our industry," the statement said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/na ... s-n1229506

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:55 pm
get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:43 pm (omitted)

Yes, isn't it amazing how many whites fought and died to free the slaves. And who were they fighting? Democrats. Slavery was almost exclusively a Democrat system. The Republican party was in it's infancy at the time and was mainly in Midwestern states. It consisted principally of farmers who neither wanted or could have even afforded them. In the 1960's, it was Northeastern Republicans that made the Civil Rights laws possible. And before you say the parties switched their roles on race relations, watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RBFOTdY1yY

The only Senator that switched parties was Strom Thurmond. Most of the Republican gains the the South were in suburbs and in the fringe states, not in the deep south of AL, GA, MS and LA. They were still dominated by Democrats.
But the northern/midwestern/western Democrats were on the side of Civil Rights for the most part, unlike the southern wing. So the discomfort of being isolated from the national party, along with the "Southern strategy" that Nixon first executed started the large scale transfer of the old Ds to Rs that continued up until maybe 5-10 years ago. Now that old south anti Civil Rights faction is firmly part of the Rs.
Sorry, had to run out for an hour but had to respond to this. There are a few dinosaur dixie boys in both parties. The South today is way less racist than, say, Boston, which might be the most racist city I've been to. What civil rights have Republicans tried to roll back? You guys did the 1994 crime bill. I would say that was less than civil and targeted Black Americans disproportionaly. Dems are almost universally against school vouchers and parental choice. They don't want their substandard schools to have to compete. Who is affected the most? Republicans may not be the champion they want but Blacks should realize Democrats treat them like chattel.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
ggait

Post by ggait »

NASCAR announced on Wednesday it would ban Confederate flags from its events, two days after the only black driver in the league's top series called on NASCAR to make the change.
First the NFL; now NASCAR.

FLPs just running roughshod over everyone/everything. Just ruining everything the white guys like.

Is this the apocalypse that Peter Brown has been warning us about? Maybe he wasn't crying wolf all those times.

Question -- when Trump loses, where do all the MAGAs then run off too?

We know they're not going to Canada. Ukraine's off the table. Maybe Turkey? Brazil? Russia? Does Mar a Lago become its own little country like the Vatican?
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Did everyone see the President’s response to this?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... es/612832/

It’s six sentences long, and the WH Press Item said “he spent quite a bit of time on it.”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ivanka came in to sit on his lap for a little bit while he was writing it?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:31 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:42 pm Hey, who wouldn't join a cause for a economic system whose profitability and survival was based upon an endless supply of FREE labor?
...yet they still LOST. think about that.

The only reason they all weren't executed as traitors was because forward-looking leaders like Lincoln and Grant wanted to heal a reunited nation.
Those supporters won in the short term but Lincoln was killed resulting in an occupied Reconstruction South until the pols made a deal in the election of 1876 wherein the Republicans traded a win in the election in return for removal of troops from the South and the reinstatement of the white/former Confederacy without slavery but with all of the other racial accoutrements that came with it.

DOPUS' now fervent support of the Confederacy and its Lost Cause reminds me of another country where the guy who led the uprising still has a
mausoleum in his memory in Red Square. Lenin won before he ultimately lost you know. No wonder Salty is with these guys. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So tell us Prof Dolores, how is Trump fervently supporting the Confederacy & it's Lost Cause ?
I'm not with either side. My namesake was a volunteer in a German immigrant regiment formed at Jefferson Barracks. He lost a leg.
It's history. I'm interested in what happened & why, without contemporary woke distortions.
Time for you to throw Gen. Petraeus under the bus as you have all of the other military officers you used to support ...until you didn't....
Nostrovia Comrade!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm Did everyone see the President’s response to this?

It’s six sentences long, and the WH Press Item said “he spent quite a bit of time on it.”
About one in one hundred people knew anything about any of these generals. Because you're fresh out of ideas to help Black people, and you actually have policies harmful to them this is your way to show you care. It's total symbolism. It doesn't get one unjustly sentenced Black person out of jail. It doesn't give them survival skills, economically or socially. It's like heroin, it temporarily feels good but in the long run it's wasting valuable time and winds up doing actual harm by seeking to divide us.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm
First the NFL; now NASCAR.

FLPs just running roughshod over everyone/everything. Just ruining everything the white guys like.

Is this the apocalypse that Peter Brown has been warning us about? Maybe he wasn't crying wolf all those times.

Question -- when Trump loses, where do all the MAGAs then run off too?

We know they're not going to Canada. Ukraine's off the table. Maybe Turkey? Brazil? Russia? Does Mar a Lago become its own little country like the Vatican?

So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot.
runrussellrun

Re: NASCAR bans racist Confederate flags.

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:34 pm Excellent development.

The flag will no longer be allowed at races or displayed at any NASCAR properties, the league said in a statement posted to its Twitter account.

"The presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans, our competitors, and our industry," the statement said.

DocBarrister
proof that you are selfish, that ONLY you matter.

Try starting a few pages back, when you log on and hit a thread.

THIS is old news already. You posting the exact same good news is proving only that it's about YOU.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Worth a listen. Trump holding a round table on race relations and with prominent black leaders. Sonnie Johnson lays it all out nicely, multiple times.

This administration has a great opportunity in front of them. Certainly hope they do not blow it.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:00 pm Worth a listen. Trump holding a round table on race relations and with prominent black leaders. Sonnie Johnson lays at all out.

This administration has a great opportunity in front of them. Certainly hope they do not blow it.

I like Sonnie. She doesn't have an "inside" voice so I can only listen to her Saturday show for about an hour. Trump knew better than to interrupt her.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

How Minneapolis residents took control of their own safety:
What Happened When the Minneapolis Police Lost Legitimacy?

Ordinary people took control of their own safety.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/opin ... d=tw-share
Something unthinkable happened in Minneapolis over the past two weeks: The Police Department lost its legitimacy. The public, roiling over the killing of George Floyd, withdrew its consent. Minneapolis public schools and the University of Minnesota ended their security contracts with the department. A veto-proof majority of City Council members pledged to “dismantle” it.

Now, the city is entangled in a political fight about how to create a system of public safety that does not depend on a domineering police force. In the absence of clear alternatives, forces opposing change are starting to coalesce. Yet the answers are right there. Even in the chaos of the past two weeks, ordinary people took control of their own safety and we learned that the safest system is one grounded in and accountable to an organized community.

I study grass-roots movements and have partnered for several years with organizers in Minneapolis on research. For the first few nights after the killing of George Floyd on May 25, they described to me a loose network of young black leaders and organizations like Black Visions Collective that drove the continuing and growing street movements against the police. Opportunists, however, were taking advantage of confusion to sow destruction.

Yet a network of community defenders quickly emerged to protect residents. Their goals? Protect people’s ability to safely protest and tamp down on the chaos. These community defenders sought to enable democracy, not squelch it, so that organizers could advance the struggle for reforms.
What follows is the story of how the community did just that - and was able to prevent a LOT more destruction from occurring.
Using social media and text chains among many households, neighbors looked after neighbors. They swept their alleyways to find fire accelerants that outsiders had planted, and reported to one another boxes of kindling doused with gasoline. They sat on their porches, asking strangers to account for themselves, and checking on one another. A group of Somali women chased a cluster of suspicious white men out of the Karmel Mall. Local pastors organized people to protect local grocery stores. Some groups organizing to protect local businesses had to arm themselves, but their focus was on defense. Ashley Fairbanks, an Indigenous Anishinaabe activist, helped organize people to create their own fire patrols.
Last edited by RedFromMI on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Re: NASCAR bans racist Confederate flags.

Post by DocBarrister »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:34 pm Excellent development.

DocBarrister
proof that you are selfish, that ONLY you matter.

Try starting a few pages back, when you log on and hit a thread.

THIS is old news already. You posting the exact same good news is proving only that it's about YOU.
My post is the first to quote from, and link to, a news article on the subject. Just trying to inform the (mostly) good people of this forum.

DocBarrister (public servant) ;)
@DocBarrister
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:08 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm Did everyone see the President’s response to this?

About one in one hundred people knew anything about any of these generals. Because you're fresh out of ideas to help Black people, and you actually have policies harmful to them this is your way to show you care. It's total symbolism. It doesn't get one unjustly sentenced Black person out of jail. It doesn't give them survival skills, economically or socially. It's like heroin, it temporarily feels good but in the long run it's wasting valuable time and winds up doing actual harm by seeking to divide us.
You’re amusing.

Things President Trump is against:

- changing Confederate names of U.S. Army bases

- removing Confederate statues and monuments

- athletes silently protesting police brutality and racial injustice

- putting Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill

Return to “POLITICS”