The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:22 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:09 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPeD2miyF8

Start at 3:40 and let me know how upstanding the folks are...looting from Target is a heckuva way to get the message across to the PD!
Would you like me to pretend to be this dumb, and claim that that ***hole Derek Chauvin represents all law enforcement the same way you're claiming a few looters represent all the people demanding change in policing?

Come on. Stop Trolling. No one is this stupid.

'a few looters'... :lol:

You're kidding right?

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/06/08 ... st-9-days/

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/politics/ ... d-protests

https://abc7.com/santa-monica-looting-p ... d/6240248/

And on and on and on...you don't want me to list all the cities out, do you?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:24 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:09 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPeD2miyF8

Start at 3:40 and let me know how upstanding the folks are...looting from Target is a heckuva way to get the message across to the PD!
Would you like me to pretend to be this dumb, and claim that that ***hole Derek Chauvin represents all law enforcement the same way you're claiming a few looters represent all the people demanding change in policing?

He is not going to stop. He either thinks it is funny or is just disturbed.

I am done for the night, and soon for a while as we're off on the road next week! Nasdaq at 10,000, boys...don't miss the ride while you tear down monuments, rename cities, cancel movies, burn books, and harass Republicans. Too much good in the universe!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:28 pm

I am done for the night, and soon for a while as we're off on the road next week! Nasdaq at 10,000, boys...don't miss the ride while you tear down monuments, rename cities, cancel movies, burn books, and harass Republicans. Too much good in the universe!
Run........

.......meanwhile, Obama has deported more illegals, than tRump

So, what is tRump going to do about illegals, Brown eyes of Peter
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

your day must be made when you "inbox" here at the forum IS all a-lit with replies. I know how it feels :roll:

except, I know I am right when no one replies. TLD told me so

Your wife clearly hates you. You spend way to much time here.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Here is one to get challenged by:
Learn To Love Trillion-Dollar Deficits

Our country’s myth about federal debt, explained.
Author is Stephanie Kelton.

Dr. Kelton, an economist, is the author of “The Deficit Myth.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/opin ... e=Homepage

Has one of the best explanations of MMT I have come across.
Last week, a bipartisan group of 60 members of the U.S. House of Representatives sent a letter to congressional leadership, raising concerns about mounting debt and deficits that have come as a result of the federal government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. “We cannot ignore the pressing issue of the national debt,” they wrote. The letter warned of “irreparable damage to our country” if nothing is done to stem the tide of red ink. Senator Mike Enzi, Republican of Wyoming, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, echoed their concerns.

It’s an ominous sign for the smaller businesses and millions of unemployed Americans whose survival may very well depend on continued government support in this crisis. While these Democratic and Republican lawmakers stopped short of calling for immediate austerity measures, their remarks demonstrate that they have fallen prey to what I call the deficit myth: that our nation’s debt and deficits are on an unsustainable path and that we need to develop a plan to fix the problem.

As a proponent of what’s called Modern Monetary Theory and as a former chief economist for the Democrats on the Senate Budget Committee, intimately familiar with how public finance actually works, I am not worried about the recent multitrillion-dollar surge in spending.

But there was a time when it would have rattled me too.
In 1997, during my early training as a professional economist, someone shared a little book titled “Soft Currency Economics” with me. Its author, Warren Mosler, a successful Wall Street investor, argued that when it came to money, debt and taxes, our politicians (and most economists) were getting almost everything wrong. I read it and wasn’t convinced. One of Mr. Mosler’s claims was that the money the government collects isn’t directly used to pay its bills. I had studied economics with world-renowned economists at Cambridge University, and none of my professors had ever said anything like that.

In 1998, I visited Mr. Mosler at his home in West Palm Beach, Fla., where I spent hours listening to him explain his thinking. He began by referring to the U.S. dollar as “a simple public monopoly.” Since the U.S. government is the sole issuer of the currency, he said, it was silly to think of Uncle Sam as needing to get dollars from the rest of us.

My head spun. Then he told me a story: Mr. Mosler had a beautiful beachfront property and all the luxuries of life anyone could hope to enjoy. He also had a family that included two teenagers, who resisted doing household chores. Mr. Mosler wanted the yard mowed, the beds made, the dishes done, the cars washed and so on. To encourage them to help out, he promised to compensate them by paying for their labor with his business cards. Nothing much got done.

“Why would we work for your business cards? They’re not worth anything!” they told him. So Mr. Mosler changed tactics. Instead of offering to compensate them for volunteering to pitch in around the house, he demanded a payment of 30 of his business cards, each month, with some chores worth more than others. Failure to pay would result in a loss of privileges: no more TV, use of the swimming pool or shopping trips to the mall.

Mr. Mosler had essentially imposed a tax that could be paid only with his own monogrammed paper. And he was prepared to enforce it. Now the cards were worth something. Before long, the kids were scurrying around, tidying up their bedrooms, the kitchen and the yard — working to maintain the lifestyle they wanted.
Rest of the article concerns how this is actually being practiced for the moment by Congress...and when we should actually worry about the deficits.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:43 pm

your day must be made when you "inbox" here at the forum IS all a-lit with replies. I know how it feels :roll:

" I know I am right when no one replies"

You might want to rethink that one there skippy. It could be no one replies because they don't want to waste their time. It could also be they don't own a triple R super secret decoder ring that interprets your special language for them. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:02 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 pm (omitted)

I see your point, except the 'community' that wants to dissolve the police are, ummmm, maybe not such upstanding citizens taxpayers, and the 'community' that you use here doesn't really want any police at all, and well, that should suffice. These are lunatics you are referencing. Outside that, your post rocks.

I keep warning you to not compromise with Leftists; they are not interested in normalcy. But here you are.
Pretty much a PB response - in which most everything is a baldfaced lie.

The community does not wish to get rid of police - they want it to be reformulated to not be oppressive.

It is not for you to judge that this same community must be ignored because you don't think they are "upstanding" enough. Quite the white supremacist view there.

They are not lunatics. They are tired of being beaten down by people who fit within your world view. And if "normalcy" means that they continue to be beaten down by a police force that is out of control - of course they don't want that.

And most of that community are a far cry from "Leftists" especially given your insistence of a nonsense definition of the same.

So of course you don't see any point except that you get another chance to troll. How are you helping? (To ask the question you refuse to answer).
Then use the fn word they want.

Defund the police means DEFUND THE POLICE
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:22 am

I see your point, except the 'community' that wants to dissolve the police are, ummmm, maybe not such upstanding citizens taxpayers, and the 'community' that you use here doesn't really want any police at all, and well, that should suffice. These are lunatics you are referencing. Outside that, your post rocks.

I keep warning you to not compromise with Leftists; they are not interested in normalcy. But here you are.

The community does not wish to get rid of police - they want it to be reformulated to not be oppressive.

It is not for you to judge that this same community must be ignored because you don't think they are "upstanding" enough. Quite the white supremacist view there.

They are not lunatics. They are tired of being beaten down by people who fit within your world view. And if "normalcy" means that they continue to be beaten down by a police force that is out of control - of course they don't want that.

And most of that community are a far cry from "Leftists" especially given your insistence of a nonsense definition of the same.

So of course you don't see any point except that you get another chance to troll. How are you helping? (To ask the question you refuse to answer).

Ya und?

Defund does not equal dissolve.

It means moving funding from police doing certain activities to funding social service trained people doing them.

Is that a bad idea?

Personally, I'd rather see police paid more than they are (and same for social service and teachers, etc), but held to high standards of behavior and training...

Police are tasked too many activities which really aren't about preventing or solving crime.

But the really BIG deal is that we need to disaggregate poor people clustered together densely and provide them with social services that encourage them to self sufficiency, from substance addiction treated as a public health not criminal issue, to job training and adult literacy, to ensuring clean water, decent housing in lower stress neighborhoods.

That costs $, but the cost today of the current situation is truly exorbitant.
Policing and incarceration costs are crazy high.
Public health costs are though the roof.

It's stupid, short term, public policy.

The "right" is satisfied because it fits with their prejudiced views, the 'left' is satisfied because there's political dependency.

But it's stupid and wasteful and fundamentally immoral, given that we really could do much better.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 am Personally, I'd rather see police paid more than they are (and same for social service and teachers, etc), but held to high standards of behavior and training...
Police are tasked too many activities which really aren't about preventing or solving crime.
+1
#DefundLawyers :D
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:22 am

Ya und?

Defund does not equal dissolve.

It means moving funding from police doing certain activities to funding social service trained people doing them.

Is that a bad idea?

Personally, I'd rather see police paid more than they are (and same for social service and teachers, etc), but held to high standards of behavior and training...

But the really BIG deal is that we need to disaggregate poor people clustered together densely and provide them with social services that encourage them to self sufficiency, from substance addiction treated as a public health not criminal issue, to job training and adult literacy, to ensuring clean water, decent housing in lower stress neighborhoods.

That costs $, but the cost today of the current situation is truly exorbitant.
Policing and incarceration costs are crazy high.
Public health costs are though the roof.

It's stupid, short term, public policy.

The "right" is satisfied because it fits with their prejudiced views, the 'left' is satisfied because there's political dependency.

But it's stupid and wasteful and fundamentally immoral, given that we really could do much better.
When the city of Baltimore gave "security" to a terrorist group, the nation of islam, YOU said nothing.

YOU are the problem.........just look at the long history of Baltimore private schools, and the MIAA allstar lists, how they differ, from sport to sport.

Football?
Basketball?
Lacrosse?

yeah, mdlaxfan, you did SO much to help the poor of Baltimore, specifically when it comes to lacrosse. Your son's college lacrosse team, had how Blacks/AA's on it? Or his HIGH school team? St.. Joes, or wherever he went.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:19 am

You might want to rethink that one there skippy. It could be no one replies because they don't want to waste their time. It could also be they don't own a triple R super secret decoder ring that interprets your special language for them. :D
Why were the Buffalo police blocking our public sidewalks, in the middle of the day ?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 am

Why were the Buffalo police blocking our public sidewalks, in the middle of the day ?

Tripe R hates Buffalo's immigrant working class obviously.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/31/a-ha ... e-save-me/

Sukhbir Singh and Harwinder Singh describe how they thought they were going to be killed as they hid from vandals that ransacked Frontier Discount Liquor on Grant Street, Sunday, May 31, 2020. Harwinder's aunt owns the store and they came to help her when the windows were first smashed but they were totally unprepared for the hostility of a second wave of looters who appeared more interested in causing damage and injury than in stealing.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:51 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 am Personally, I'd rather see police paid more than they are (and same for social service and teachers, etc), but held to high standards of behavior and training...
+1
#DefundLawyers :D
:D
ahhh, but when you really need one...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:44 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 am

Tripe R hates Buffalo's immigrant working class obviously.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/31/a-ha ... e-save-me/

Sukhbir Singh and Harwinder Singh describe how they thought they were going to be killed as they hid from vandals that ransacked Frontier Discount Liquor on Grant Street, Sunday, May 31, 2020. Harwinder's aunt owns the store and they came to help her when the windows were first smashed but they were totally unprepared for the hostility of a second wave of looters who appeared more interested in causing damage and injury than in stealing.
How many arrestst did the pig/police make on Grant Street on Sunday, May 31, 2020

the platoon of riot gear clowns just couldn't seem to make it all the way to Frontier Liquor store.

WHat, exactly, were the Buffalo pigs doing on Sunday nite. Who were they protecting?

And, you got it all wrong. Harwinder, in MY opinion, should have shot anyone entering his store. ANYONE. He should have been armed, with the safety off.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

PB - since the market is always right according to you - what is it saying now?

(DJIA down over 5% today so far)

This is what CNN Business had to say:
London (CNN Business)The stocks mega-rally hit a roadblock: A somber economic outlook from the US Federal Reserve and the 2 millionth coronavirus case in the United States has investors questioning whether they had boosted the stock market too far, too fast.

US stocks plummeted in New York, with the Dow (INDU) falling more than 1,400 points or 5.3% around midday. The S&P 500 (SPX) plummeted 4.4%, and the Nasdaq Composite (COMP) fell 3.6%. The Nasdaq had soared to all-time highs on each of the past three sessions and climbed above 10,000 points for the first time ever.
US crude oil prices dropped more than 9%, to $35.98 per barrel.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:04 pm PB - since the market is always right according to you - what is it saying now?

London (CNN Business)The stocks mega-rally hit a roadblock: A somber economic outlook from the US Federal Reserve and the 2 millionth coronavirus case in the United States has investors questioning whether they had boosted the stock market too far, too fast.

US stocks plummeted in New York, with the Dow (INDU) falling more than 1,400 points or 5.3% around midday. The S&P 500 (SPX) plummeted 4.4%, and the Nasdaq Composite (COMP) fell 3.6%. The Nasdaq had soared to all-time highs on each of the past three sessions and climbed above 10,000 points for the first time ever.
There will NOT be an economic recovery until we have a COVID_19 recovery. Why is that so hard to understand?

The Fed's are wasting their "ammunition" now, unless the Fed's also act on Covid. Where are is the Commission and updates???
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

CU88 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:11 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:04 pm PB - since the market is always right according to you - what is it saying now?

There will NOT be an economic recovery until we have a COVID_19 recovery. Why is that so hard to understand?

The Fed's are wasting their "ammunition" now, unless the Fed's also act on Covid. Where are is the Commission and updates???
Trump is bored of COVID - and cannot wait to get back to his rallies so he can bask in their glory...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Shocking I know, but the market is not a linear line up!

Talk to me on November 4th.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:15 pm 27,572
25,128 - 27,572 = (2,444) or -9.7%.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:28 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:15 pm 27,572
25,128 - 27,572 = (2,444) or -9.7%.

Just another buying opportunity. Glad to see them.

See you at 30,000.

Return to “POLITICS”