Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
get it to x

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:27 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:43 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:50 am I agree 100% on public buildings they have no right to be displayed. The problem is that some folks feel the same way about Washington, Adams and Jefferson. If people have a legitimate gripe do we tear down the Washington monument? Where do we as a country now draw the line to appease people that are offended?
If we only created statues of people who were upstanding citizens in all ways, there'd be no statues. Humans are imperfect. The issue is when the statue is being created to celebrate this specific fallibility. A fault which some people don't see as a fault at all but worthy of celebrating. That's a problem. And that's the real issue. Trump can say, Who's next, Washington?! And it seems like a worthy question, but it's not really a question. It's an attack. What he (and others) are really saying is, All our heroes have flaws! Stop going after mine! And... We need to go after these "heroes".
So some clarification... when does the Washington monument become part of the bullseye?
Let's see, cradle...you actually find an equivalency between monuments erected to founders of this country and those who specifically fought to tear it apart...on behalf of maintaining slavery???

Put that aside, monuments erected specifically by avowed racists on behalf of white supremacy and Jim Crow in order to intimidate?

Certainly there must be some idiots on the extreme left who would conflate these, but I sure hear a lot more false equivalency coming out of the mouths of right wingers than I do these evil lefties that some seem so worried will erase all history.

Of course, perhaps that's why I'm a fiscally conservative leaning, socially progressive leaning moderate...it's the extremes which want to erase or whitewash history...

There's an enormous difference between having an honest appraisal of the full dimensionality of our predecessors, indeed an honest and fulsome understanding of history, and the maintenance of monuments to the worst of that history.... erected specifically by the worst of that history.

We can discern the difference, right?
Since this is a 50 (or 57 if you prefer) state experiment, why not start in West By God Virginia? We can take former KKK Grand Kleagle Robert Byrd's name off of everything named after him. WV will need a federal grant just for the infrastructure projects alone.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:14 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 pm
Catbird wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:11 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am The NYPD cop charged with pushing/assaulting/injuring a woman protester was a Ward Mehville laxer who reportedly played at Kean College before serving in the USMC. A video showing her approaching the cop, before he shoved her away, was initially posted on social media. I saw it in the initial tv coverage. It has now magically been disapperared.
https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/vincent-dandraia/

Common thread with the Buffalo push assault. In both cases the police were advancing as a unit, clearing the street or sidewalk, when a protester approached them, entered their personal safety space, blocking them, taking video of the police officer with their cell phones.

Police officers now need to be prepared for encounters with video warrior provocateur protesters who enter their personal safety space, trying to generate an incident captured on video. In both these cases, these 2 provocateurs got the confrontation they sought, but they were not prepared for the consequences of their actions when invading a police officer's personal safety space in a confrontational manner.
Are you ok?

You are now referring to a 75 year old man who regularly volunteers his time for catholic charities as a "provocateur". Sad.
Did he present his AARP card ? What difference does it make what he does with his spare time ? He confronted the cops, got in their face & was clearly confrontational. He wasn't asking for directions to the senior center.
+1 The police trying to clear the streets had no idea who he was or what his intentions were. If you don't want to be pushed on your ass... don't get into the cops grill and talk chit to him. Sorry there old timer, you learned a lesson the hard way. I hope he is okay but his own stupid actions were the cause if his injuries.

For the record, my wife and I argued about this for way to long last night. When I asked my wife if the old guy had pulled out a gun and shot the cop in the head would that have changed her opinion. She finally got the message.
hmmm, IF...
I'm thinking your wife 'got the message' that you are a lost cause

Pro tip, you know she's right. Best to admit that to her tonight... ;)

The guy was never remotely a threat, and the police action was not excusable.
Forgivable yes, excusable no.

At a minimum, big apology deserved.
Any policeman not thinking so needs to have their badge taken away.

Which isn't to say that this particular policeman necessarily had malice in his heart, that he intended for the guy to get hurt. I hope he didn't. But if he isn't quick to be sorry, not the right guy to have a badge and a gun.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:27 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:43 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:50 am I agree 100% on public buildings they have no right to be displayed. The problem is that some folks feel the same way about Washington, Adams and Jefferson. If people have a legitimate gripe do we tear down the Washington monument? Where do we as a country now draw the line to appease people that are offended?
If we only created statues of people who were upstanding citizens in all ways, there'd be no statues. Humans are imperfect. The issue is when the statue is being created to celebrate this specific fallibility. A fault which some people don't see as a fault at all but worthy of celebrating. That's a problem. And that's the real issue. Trump can say, Who's next, Washington?! And it seems like a worthy question, but it's not really a question. It's an attack. What he (and others) are really saying is, All our heroes have flaws! Stop going after mine! And... We need to go after these "heroes".
So some clarification... when does the Washington monument become part of the bullseye?
Let's see, cradle...you actually find an equivalency between monuments erected to founders of this country and those who specifically fought to tear it apart...on behalf of maintaining slavery???

Put that aside, monuments erected specifically by avowed racists on behalf of white supremacy and Jim Crow in order to intimidate?

Certainly there must be some idiots on the extreme left who would conflate these, but I sure hear a lot more false equivalency coming out of the mouths of right wingers than I do these evil lefties that some seem so worried will erase all history.

Of course, perhaps that's why I'm a fiscally conservative leaning, socially progressive leaning moderate...it's the extremes which want to erase or whitewash history...

There's an enormous difference between having an honest appraisal of the full dimensionality of our predecessors, indeed an honest and fulsome understanding of history, and the maintenance of monuments to the worst of that history.... erected specifically by the worst of that history.

Since this is a 50 (or 57 if you prefer) state experiment, why not start in West By God Virginia? We can take former KKK Grand Kleagle Robert Byrd's name off of everything named after him. WV will need a federal grant just for the infrastructure projects alone.
I don't understand the "57". What's that in reference to?

Byrd sure did bring home the bacon for many years...but had quite the ugly history for sure. I'd have no problem with renaming bridges, etc. Do you, really?

I don't feel the same way, though, about bridges etc being named after the Senator who secured the funding than I do KKK erected monuments to "heroes of the Confederacy" erected to intimidate during Jim Crow...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:09 am
6ftstick wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:07 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:04 am I'm from peasant Baltic farmer stock. My grandparents came here to avoid the Russians and find loamier soil. I have no clue what was going on here pre-1940. I didn't build any statues. I don't oppress anyone. So I'll let you guys figure out how to fix it.
Hey man YOUR WHITE.

GUILTY!
White = privileged in America.
Privileged? Ok.

That ancestry swab told me I have a blend of everything.

So I don't identify as white. Even if I look it.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:44 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:04 am I'm from peasant Baltic farmer stock. My grandparents came here to avoid the Russians and find loamier soil. I have no clue what was going on here pre-1940. I didn't build any statues. I don't oppress anyone. So I'll let you guys figure out how to fix it.
Hey man YOUR WHITE.

GUILTY!
Privileged? Ok.

yeah, it's that "look it" part...
ggait

Post by ggait »

I hear "many people are saying" that I can use my iPhone to jam police signals.

Must be true. Totally the kind of thing you would expect Tim Apple to nefariously do.

As a documented TDS commie libturd police defunding FLP Antifa anarchist, I just gotta have this.

But I searched for "police scanner jammer" in the App store and came up empty.

Can anyone help?

Maybe Peter Brown knows something about this?

Thx.
Last edited by ggait on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

ggait wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:50 pm I hear "many people are saying" that I can use my iPhone to jam police signals.

Must be true. Totally the kind of thing you would expect Tim Apple to nefariously do.

As a documented TDS commie libturd police defunding FLP Antifa anarchist, I just gotta have this.

But I searched for "police scanner jammer" in the App store and came up empty.

Can anyone help?

Maybe Peter Brown knows something about this?

Thx.
Ya have to go to the special Antifa app store...
DMac

Post by DMac »

I hold the old guy moreso (is it one or two words...your choice, I guess) accountable for his head injury than I do the police. It goes in the category of what the phukk did you think was going to happen, IMO. You've got a group of police who are instructed to clear the streets, agree with that or not, that's what they're instructed to do. These guys are all on edge, adrenaline rushing, all senses operating at high level. It is much wiser to clear the path than to confront a group who are in that state of mind, not to mention MUCH wiser for a 75 year old to not get in the middle of that group. Be smarter about how you're going to protest unless, of course, your objective is to become a martyr.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:48 pm
Hey man YOUR WHITE.

GUILTY!
Privileged? Ok.

yeah, it's that "look it" part...
Doesn't matter what I look like. Or what I was at birth. Or what I am according to science or DNA. I am only what I identify as. You and your hateful people can't tell me otherwise.

:idea:
ggait

Post by ggait »

Ya have to go to the special Antifa app store...
Right. Too bad that going to that store automatically sends all your personal info directly to Bully Bill Barr.

Do you need a wifi connection to scan/jam the cops? Or is bluetooth enough?

And since I'm a menacing gray haired guy, I need to make sure to wear a helmet to my next scan/jam protest event. Will be tough to find one in a color that will match my Che Guevara t-shirt.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 am So some clarification... when does the Washington monument become part of the bullseye?
There are statues of Washington because he's the father of our nation, militarily and politically. If some amazing data fell from the sky to prove that Washington was actually an English spy who was trying to destroy our nation and didn't actually do all the positive things he's preported to have done, then he gets a bullseye. Otherwise, he's safely not a target.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:12 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:06 am start up a list. i even have solutions.

the city of washington needs to be renamed, please just call it columbia and move on.

of course that raises the same issue. columbus ave, columbus circle, columbus ohio.

all those public universities in virginia. maybe VCU stays.

while we are at it- so goes the state of washington. maybe call it olympia (did they have slaves?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Greece).

wash square park. washington street.

madison ave- gone. should be 4 and a half ave. madison square park & MSG.

penn station. the state of pennsylvania. penn state univ. one penn plaza (see MSG).

houston street, no one really agrees on how to pronounce it anyway. call it zero street, i do.

avenue of the americas? just go back to 6th. vespucci had slaves. lots of em.

which brings me to america- whoops.
They knocked down burned and beheaded Columbus statues last night.

Human exploration risk and courage be damned.
More history that you were not taught in school.

“I wish you would!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Hey man YOUR WHITE.

GUILTY!
Privileged? Ok.

And that is the issue - if you look white you are and that is all fine, until someone finds our you're not a WASP or Gay and your privileged goes away.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:00 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 am So some clarification... when does the Washington monument become part of the bullseye?
There are statues of Washington because he's the father of our nation, militarily and politically. If some amazing data fell from the sky to prove that Washington was actually an English spy who was trying to destroy our nation and didn't actually do all the positive things he's preported to have done, then he gets a bullseye. Otherwise, he's safely not a target.
soooooo... slavery overlooked here because he did some good on the battlefield? wonder what BLM thinks.

is this movement about oppression, or rebellion against the state? both???
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:10 pm
soooooo... slavery overlooked here because he did some good on the battlefield? wonder what BLM thinks.

6 out of the first 13 Presidents of the United States were slaveowners while serving as President - Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Jackson and Taylor. Only Washington, Monroe, Taylor and Jaclson served in the military on the battlefield. In addition, Harrison, Polk, Tyler and Van Buren all owned slaves prior to becoming President but not while in office (Only Harrison served in the military on the battlefield).

I don't think we want to go very far down this road. Confederate monuments/namings are a total different case.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:08 pm
Hey man YOUR WHITE.

GUILTY!
Privileged? Ok.

And that is the issue - if you look white you are and that is all fine, until someone finds our you're not a WASP or Gay and your privileged goes away.
This happened to a family friend. An interesting story.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Colin Kaepernick couldn’t define his protest. It was all over the place before he finally landed on cops. Now BLM has a similar problem.

Last edited by kramerica.inc on Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:21 pm

6 out of the first 13 Presidents of the United States were slaveowners while serving as President - Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Jackson and Taylor. Only Washington, Monroe, Taylor and Jaclson served in the military on the battlefield. In addition, Harrison, Polk, Tyler and Van Buren all owned slaves prior to becoming President but not while in office (Only Harrison served in the military on the battlefield).

I don't think we want to go very far down this road. Confederate monuments/namings are a total different case.
so it is about rebellion against a state; not racism, nor slavery, nor oppression.

chris columbus- whoops.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 pm

[/quote]

I don't understand the "57". What's that in reference to?

[/quote]

Refers to Obama saying there were 57 states in a speech. He must have been thinking about Ketchup. Some say he was confusing it with 57 Muslim countries.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:28 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:21 pm

so it is about rebellion against a state; not racism, nor slavery, nor oppression.

chris columbus- whoops.
Yep. For me it is. We cannot change our history or the World's history for that matter - all those Presidents who owned slaves at those times were legally permitted to do so.

As for Columbus, no idea how he even enters the conversation - he pre-dates all this by a few hundred years. Slavery goes all the way back to Ancient Greece and Egypt and perhaps even earlier than that. It had been an accepted practice for literally 1000s of years.

Return to “POLITICS”