Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Racism in America- Week 3 of Riots

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

get it to x wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:40 pm
get it to x wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:36 pm
ggait wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:04 pm
I run into a fair amount of African immigrants and they almost universally have character traits that are sorely lacking in the black urban experience. This isn't the rule, as I know many successful black Americans who are prospering, with the same traits as recent black immigrants. Those are a respect for authority, intact two parent families, delaying children until affordable, strong work/study ethic and a sense of shame.
X -- I'd encourage you to read up on Colin Powell who, among others, has written extensively on this. In particular, the experience of Caribbean immigrant families (such as Powell or NBC's Al Roker) is quite distinct and different than that of many native born African Americans.

Bottom line -- growing up black in America is a pretty tough row to hoe. So not so surprising that the black folks who often do better are the ones who spent (or whose forebears spent) their formative years somewhere else. A common statement from black immigrants is that "I didn't know I was black until I came to the U.S." 400 years of segregation and discrimination is a lot of baggage to carry.

That says more about the U.S. than it does about the black folks, TBH. I agree with you that it isn't about genetics. But it has everything to do with politics, culture, poverty, racism and class.

For example, I find it pretty sad that almost half of the black enrollment at our Ivy League colleges are black immigrants from Africa or the Caribbean rather than USA native blacks.
I may take you up on that. My point about genetics was to discredit anyone who thinks blacks are intellectually inferior. I think there are cultural issues and structural issues. There is also white racism, and maybe I am being a Pollyanna, but I believe we are seeing the last vestiges of that. I probably had some myself before I was mature enough to see the ridiculousness of it. Victim mentality is part of the black culture and young minds are easily influenced into believing there is no chance for even modest success. I still think most studies show single parent households are the biggest cause. Black Americans actually had a lower out of wedlock birth rate than whites in the early 20th century. Single parent households of all races have a much higher chance of living in poverty than "Nuclear" families.

Structurally, we are failing American Blacks with a substandard education. Aren't we also showing them how valuable black lives are when more black children are aborted than birthed in NYC? LBJ's War on Poverty turned out to be a war on Black men. The welfare state became the father, and the black man was marginalized.

My biggest beef isn't the riots or the culture. It's the thought of wasting all of that untapped potential. And not just because we need the next MLK or Frederick Douglass. How about the next Einstein, Ghandi, Musk or Aristotle?
Have you sat down with your black friends and talked about these things?
Yes. Those I broached the subject with is not a huge sample size, maybe 10 people. And there isn't agreement on all points, except maybe the family thing and the education. These are successful people, and some never experienced urban culture, so their paradigm is similar to mine. Especially the recent immigrants.
It’s complicated. An over representation of negative images in the mass media poisons the perspective before many immigrants even arrive here. We export negative images that distort reality. I have friends from Paris by way of Guadeloupe, Nairobi, Lagos, Johannesburg, Madagascar, Sudan and Ghana. The more black people they met here, the more they realized it’s a diverse population.....not what you see when you turn on the TV. You should know better. You are applying stereotypes.
“I wish you would!”
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:06 pm [
It’s complicated. An over representation of negative images in the mass media poisons the perspective before many immigrants even arrive here. We export negative images that distort reality. I have friends from Paris by way of Guadeloupe, Nairobi, Lagos, Johannesburg, Madagascar, Sudan and Ghana. The more black people they met here, the more they realized it’s a diverse population.....not what you see when you turn on the TV. You should know better. You are applying stereotypes.
I should know better, what? There is a difference between stereotypes (Walmart shoppers?) and studies. I just got done saying that peoples opinions are diverse with some universal similarities, like two parents. I also said there are many American Blacks who overcame obstacles, mostly with a Dad in the house. You have your example of a very good single mom, but believe me, she is the exception, not the rule. Her and Ben Carson's mom. I grew up with my parents separated about half the time, but my Dad, who I just lost last month, was on my ass about school and helping my mom 100% of the time.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

get it to x wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:36 pm
I should know better, what? There is a difference between stereotypes (Walmart shoppers?) and studies. I just got done saying that peoples opinions are diverse with some universal similarities, like two parents. I also said there are many American Blacks who overcame obstacles, mostly with a Dad in the house. You have your example of a very good single mom, but believe me, she is the exception, not the rule. Her and Ben Carson's mom. I grew up with my parents separated about half the time, but my Dad, who I just lost last month, was on my ass about school and helping my mom 100% of the time.
You are pointing out the obvious.
“I wish you would!”
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:40 pm
So which is it, the obvious or stereotypes? And if it's that obvious, why isn't everyone pointing it out? Because it helps the left to have a dependent class. They have their own "poverty industrial complex" set up, keep them in their neighborhoods and every other November round 'em up and get them to the polls. Then platitudes and empty promises for the next two years. A lot of people make a lot of money keeping poor people poor. How can you have teachers retain their jobs when the results don't merit retention? Trust me, educated blacks are more inclined to think for themselves. Dem's can't afford too much of that.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

get it to x wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:32 pm
So which is it, the obvious or stereotypes? And if it's that obvious, why isn't everyone pointing it out? Because it helps the left to have a dependent class. They have their own "poverty industrial complex" set up, keep them in their neighborhoods and every other November round 'em up and get them to the polls. Then platitudes and empty promises for the next two years. A lot of people make a lot of money keeping poor people poor. How can you have teachers retain their jobs when the results don't merit retention? Trust me, educated blacks are more inclined to think for themselves. Dem's can't afford too much of that.
It’s obvious that two parents in any household is better than one. You probably know more poor black people than I know personally. Most that I know are doing well. At least you are out there helping.
“I wish you would!”
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:41 pm
It’s obvious that two parents in any household is better than one. You probably know more poor black people than I know personally. Most that I know are doing well. At least you are out there helping.
So why the lessened emphasis on the family? This is from the Black Lives Matter Web page under "What we believe"

"We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

Looks counterproductive to me. See the word Father?
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:27 pm
I run into a fair amount of African immigrants and they almost universally have character traits that are sorely lacking in the black urban experience. This isn't the rule, as I know many successful black Americans who are prospering, with the same traits as recent black immigrants. Those are a respect for authority, intact two parent families, delaying children until affordable, strong work/study ethic and a sense of shame.
X -- I'd encourage you to read up on Colin Powell who, among others, has written extensively on this. In particular, the experience of Caribbean immigrant families (such as Powell or NBC's Al Roker) is quite distinct and different than that of many native born African Americans.

Bottom line -- growing up black in America is a pretty tough row to hoe. So not so surprising that the black folks who often do better are the ones who spent (or whose forebears spent) their formative years somewhere else. A common statement from black immigrants is that "I didn't know I was black until I came to the U.S." 400 years of segregation and discrimination is a lot of baggage to carry.

That says more about the U.S. than it does about the black folks, TBH. I agree with you that it isn't about genetics. But it has everything to do with politics, culture, poverty, racism and class.

For example, I find it pretty sad that almost half of the black enrollment at our Ivy League colleges are black immigrants from Africa or the Caribbean rather than USA native blacks.
Not debating your stat but was wondering where you saw that? I would guess about 1/2 of minorities on Ivy League campuses are Asian but had not thought of 1/2 the blacks students being immigrants. It made me think of all the black kids I know from Ivy League schools and only a fraction were immigrants. Unlike Get it to X’s stereotype, I know a woman that raised 4 kids on her own after her dirt bag husband left her. Other than some genetic material, he contributed nothing despite having the financial wherewithal to make an impact. I see him on instagram traveling the globe. Anyway, the four kids he has not seen in 14 years have all done well. 2 went to Yale, 1 went to Columbia and 1 is an accomplished concert cellist. Black kids from a “single parent” home....
Have you talked with the mother and her children about these things?
Typical Lax Dad

6x6 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:27 pm

Not debating your stat but was wondering where you saw that? I would guess about 1/2 of minorities on Ivy League campuses are Asian but had not thought of 1/2 the blacks students being immigrants. It made me think of all the black kids I know from Ivy League schools and only a fraction were immigrants. Unlike Get it to X’s stereotype, I know a woman that raised 4 kids on her own after her dirt bag husband left her. Other than some genetic material, he contributed nothing despite having the financial wherewithal to make an impact. I see him on instagram traveling the globe. Anyway, the four kids he has not seen in 14 years have all done well. 2 went to Yale, 1 went to Columbia and 1 is an accomplished concert cellist. Black kids from a “single parent” home....
Have you talked with the mother and her children about these things?
Yes. In what way?
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Though African immigrants, many of them from Nigeria and Ghana, make up less than 1 percent of America's total population, first- and second-generation black immigrants comprise 41 percent of all black students at Ivy League schools, according to 2007 research from teams at Princeton and Penn. Another study, this one published in Sociology of Education in 2009, found that immigrant blacks attended select colleges at almost four times the rate of native-born African Americans. Outside of the Ivy League, almost 44 percent of African immigrants graduated from a four-year college, compared to just 18 percent of native blacks.

https://www.good.is/articles/ivy-league ... -diversity

“The majority of [black students at Harvard], perhaps as many as two-thirds, are West Indian and African immigrants or their children.”

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissio ... -new-essay

If anything, you'd expect the numbers to be higher today with larger numbers of foreign students being added to the recent immigrant students.

Black immigrant kids (or foreign student kids) often have families that resemble the families of other striving immigrant groups that do well here in the USA -- like Asians. Those kids also come from cultures and countries where being black is fine and normal, and often are the majority. It is a very different worldview and experience than the beat down of growing up in the USA as a historically impoverished, segregated and discriminated minority.

Culture, class, poverty and history are much more powerful forces than genetics.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:21 pm Though African immigrants, many of them from Nigeria and Ghana, make up less than 1 percent of America's total population, first- and second-generation black immigrants comprise 41 percent of all black students at Ivy League schools, according to 2007 research from teams at Princeton and Penn. Another study, this one published in Sociology of Education in 2009, found that immigrant blacks attended select colleges at almost four times the rate of native-born African Americans. Outside of the Ivy League, almost 44 percent of African immigrants graduated from a four-year college, compared to just 18 percent of native blacks.

https://www.good.is/articles/ivy-league ... -diversity

“The majority of [black students at Harvard], perhaps as many as two-thirds, are West Indian and African immigrants or their children.”

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissio ... -new-essay

If anything, you'd expect the numbers to be higher today with larger numbers of foreign students being added to the recent immigrant students.

Black immigrant kids (or foreign student kids) often have families that resemble the families of other striving immigrant groups that do well here in the USA -- like Asians. Those kids also come from cultures and countries where being black is fine and normal, and often are the majority. It is a very different worldview and experience than the beat down of growing up in the USA as a historically impoverished, segregated and discriminated minority.

Culture, class, poverty and history are much more powerful forces than genetics.
Thanks for posting that. Some of the information seemed dated. I was wondering if recent experience has changed. As for immigrants, we are friends with a couple on faculty at the University of Richmond. The couple struck up a conversation with a lady that cleaned up their lab in the evenings. They knew she was African but didn’t know from where. She was from Rwanda and escaped with her husband from the hotel. They were upperclass professionals and came here to a hard life with limited opportunities. They thought hard work and effort was all it took. It’s not that easy.
“I wish you would!”
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Wondering how she and her now adult children felt about their experience, especially in relation to other blacks in similar situations.

I went to a racially mixed inner city high school. No lacrosse there back then, still don’t as far as I know. Anyway, one of my closest friends was a black guy I met on the wrestling team. He didn’t know his father, his mom worked two jobs to care for him, his brother and sister. They all went to college and became pretty successful. He didn’t buy into the victim mentality. His mother wouldn’t let him and his siblings wallow in sorrow about their circumstances, she challenged them and expected them to succeed. Thus his mentality was the same. He’d say If we can overcome, others in similar situations can too. My words paraphrasing. His would often be more colorful :D . Later after we both had married, my wife would argue with him that blacks needed help through various endeavors, affirmative action or similar things. He would really get vocal in opposition, using himself and his siblings as examples.

This is a Don Lemon interview with Morgan Freeman from 2014, with quotes from Freeman that have been popping up lately.

About 8 mins long but interesting. I think my friend would agree with Mr. Freeman’s positions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StNCmOBDIag
Last edited by 6x6 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

get it to x wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:50 pm
So why the lessened emphasis on the family? This is from the Black Lives Matter Web page under "What we believe"

"We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

Good posts X.

Somewhat related conversation here, last part speaks to "everybody had a dad."
https://www.foxnews.com/media/shelby-st ... k-america
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
DocBarrister

It is time to destroy all Confederate monuments.

Post by DocBarrister »

Germany has systematically destroyed its Nazi monuments.

It is now time for the United States to destroy all Confederate monuments. We can begin by destroying the Ku Klux Klan monument to Davis, Lee, and Jackson on Stone Mountain in Georgia. It should be replaced by a monument to African Americans who suffered in slavery.

Most of the large monuments began to appear in the early 20th Century, long after the war ended in 1865. The goal was not to preserve "Southern heritage," as the monuments' defenders now claim. Instead, the goal was to install white-supremacist icons that would intimidate African Americans and enforce whites' supremacy. Historian W. Fitzhugh Brundage, for example, has written that the monuments "were sometimes explicitly linked to the cause of white supremacy by the notables who spoke at their dedication" and that white industrialist Julian Carr "unambiguously urged his audience to devote themselves to the maintenance of white supremacy with the same vigor that their Confederate ancestors had defended slavery.

The history of the giant carvings on Stone Mountain, near Atlanta, is instructive. Planning of the carvings began only in 1914. Substantial funding for the project came from the KKK, which met on the mountain's top to burn crosses and the project's first directors and promoters were Klan members. The original plan was to depict General Robert E. Lee leading Confederate soldiers and Klan members up the mountain. Many other Confederate monuments were erected during this period, helping consolidate Jim Crow's racist hierarchy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/opinions ... index.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

The NYPD cop charged with pushing/assaulting/injuring a woman protester was a Ward Mehville laxer who reportedly played at Kean College before serving in the USMC. A video showing her approaching the cop, before he shoved her away, was initially posted on social media. I saw it in the initial tv coverage. It has now magically been disapperared.
https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/vincent-dandraia/

Common thread with the Buffalo push assault. In both cases the police were advancing as a unit, clearing the street or sidewalk, when a protester approached them, entered their personal safety space, blocking them, taking video of the police officer with their cell phones.

Police officers now need to be prepared for encounters with video warrior provocateur protesters who enter their personal safety space, trying to generate an incident captured on video. In both these cases, these 2 provocateurs got the confrontation they sought, but they were not prepared for the consequences of their actions when invading a police officer's personal safety space in a confrontational manner.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am The NYPD cop charged with pushing/assaulting/injuring a woman protester was a Ward Mehville laxer who reportedly played at Kean College before serving in the USMC. A video showing her approaching the cop, before he shoved her away, was initially posted on social media. I saw it in the initial tv coverage. It has now magically been disapperared.

Common thread with the Buffalo push assault. In both cases the police were advancing as a unit, clearing the street or sidewalk, when a protester approached them, entered their personal safety space, blocking them, taking video of the police officer with their cell phones.

Police officers now need to be prepared for encounters with video warrior provocateur protesters who enter their personal safety space, trying to generate an incident captured on video. In both these cases, these 2 provocateurs got the confrontation they sought, but they were not prepared for the consequences of their actions when invading a police officer's personal safety space in a confrontational manner.
Are you ok?

You are now referring to a 75 year old man who regularly volunteers his time for catholic charities as a "provocateur". Sad.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Catbird wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:11 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 am The NYPD cop charged with pushing/assaulting/injuring a woman protester was a Ward Mehville laxer who reportedly played at Kean College before serving in the USMC. A video showing her approaching the cop, before he shoved her away, was initially posted on social media. I saw it in the initial tv coverage. It has now magically been disapperared.

Are you ok?

You are now referring to a 75 year old man who regularly volunteers his time for catholic charities as a "provocateur". Sad.
How were the police suppose to know dicky doo about his back ground or who the man was? They were suppose to assume he was just a sweet old guy coming up to them to say hello. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Nigel wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:40 am

Good posts X.

Black Lives Matter "villages" concept goes back to how many native Africans lives are organized. I read an article back when Trump called them s-hole countries. It is by a Peace Corps volunteer who went to Senegal as a recent college graduate. It talks about conditions in Senegal and she called it a "Fecal Environment". To me what was really eye opening was the kleptocratic nature of the village system and how it led to indolence by the men of the village.

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... right.html

FTA:

"Americans think it is a universal human instinct to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's not. It seems natural to us because we live in a Bible-based Judeo-Christian culture.

We think the Protestant work ethic is universal. It's not. My town was full of young men doing nothing. They were waiting for a government job. There was no private enterprise. Private business was not illegal, just impossible, given the nightmare of a third-world bureaucratic kleptocracy. It is also incompatible with Senegalese insistence on taking care of relatives.

All the little stores in Senegal were owned by Mauritanians. If a Senegalese wanted to run a little store, he'd go to another country. The reason? Your friends and relatives would ask you for stuff for free, and you would have to say yes. End of your business. You are not allowed to be a selfish individual and say no to relatives. The result: Everyone has nothing."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:03 am
Nigel wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:40 am

Good posts X.

Black Lives Matter "villages" concept goes back to how many native Africans lives are organized. I read an article back when Trump called them s-hole countries. It is by a Peace Corps volunteer who went to Senegal as a recent college graduate. It talks about conditions in Senegal and she called it a "Fecal Environment". To me what was really eye opening was the kleptocratic nature of the village system and how it led to indolence by the men of the village.

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... right.html

FTA:

"Americans think it is a universal human instinct to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's not. It seems natural to us because we live in a Bible-based Judeo-Christian culture.

We think the Protestant work ethic is universal. It's not. My town was full of young men doing nothing. They were waiting for a government job. There was no private enterprise. Private business was not illegal, just impossible, given the nightmare of a third-world bureaucratic kleptocracy. It is also incompatible with Senegalese insistence on taking care of relatives.

All the little stores in Senegal were owned by Mauritanians. If a Senegalese wanted to run a little store, he'd go to another country. The reason? Your friends and relatives would ask you for stuff for free, and you would have to say yes. End of your business. You are not allowed to be a selfish individual and say no to relatives. The result: Everyone has nothing."
New York congressman caught on hot mic at protest event: "

"If I didn't have a primary, I wouldn't care".....

"People throughout the district told us he is not present, he is not engaged, he doesn't care and it's time for a change," Bowman told CBSN.

"Our elected officials are supposed to serve the people in their community, particularly those who are hurting the most," he added. "And that video was painful and heartbreaking to watch."
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: It is time to destroy all Confederate monuments.

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:01 am Germany has systematically destroyed its Nazi monuments.

It is now time for the United States to destroy all Confederate monuments. We can begin by destroying the Ku Klux Klan monument to Davis, Lee, and Jackson on Stone Mountain in Georgia. It should be replaced by a monument to African Americans who suffered in slavery.

Most of the large monuments began to appear in the early 20th Century, long after the war ended in 1865. The goal was not to preserve "Southern heritage," as the monuments' defenders now claim. Instead, the goal was to install white-supremacist icons that would intimidate African Americans and enforce whites' supremacy. Historian W. Fitzhugh Brundage, for example, has written that the monuments "were sometimes explicitly linked to the cause of white supremacy by the notables who spoke at their dedication" and that white industrialist Julian Carr "unambiguously urged his audience to devote themselves to the maintenance of white supremacy with the same vigor that their Confederate ancestors had defended slavery.

The history of the giant carvings on Stone Mountain, near Atlanta, is instructive. Planning of the carvings began only in 1914. Substantial funding for the project came from the KKK, which met on the mountain's top to burn crosses and the project's first directors and promoters were Klan members. The original plan was to depict General Robert E. Lee leading Confederate soldiers and Klan members up the mountain. Many other Confederate monuments were erected during this period, helping consolidate Jim Crow's racist hierarchy.

DocBarrister
well since we are going after anything associated with Lee, let's just get rid of W&L as well. or are you telling me there is no ode to the general anywhere on campus?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
get it to x

Re: It is time to destroy all Confederate monuments.

Post by get it to x »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:13 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:01 am Germany has systematically destroyed its Nazi monuments.

DocBarrister
well since we are going after anything associated with Lee, let's just get rid of W&L as well. or are you telling me there is no ode to the general anywhere on campus?
Any chance we can also get rid of Sheila Jackson Lee? She has two oppressive old white men in her name.

Return to “POLITICS”