Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Kismet

Re: Racism in America- Week 2 of Riots

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:01 am
Kismet wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:42 am
old salt wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:20 am
Kismet wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:04 amI'm so thrilled to learn that the irritating ingredient in pepper balls/spray is NOT A CHEMICAL. If not a CHEMICAL What the heck is it?
Lastly,, if they are all on the up and up on all this - then why not go to Capitol Hill and answer some questions about it
Pepper spray/balls are made of (are you ready for this ?) ...PEPPER
Yep - and the main ingredient is Capsaicin which is a chemical compound that was first isolated from chili peppers in crystalline form in 1878.

So Mr. Barr's statement was incorrect at best and a LIE at worst.
The active ingredient in pepper spray is capsaicin, which is a chemical derived from the fruit of plants in the genus Capsicum, including chilis.
Extraction of oleoresin capsicum (OC) from peppers requires capsicum to be finely ground, from which capsaicin is then extracted using an organic solvent such as ethanol. The solvent is then evaporated, and the remaining waxlike resin is the oleoresin capsaicin.
No matter what you say to divert attention - its still a CHEMICAL which Barr said that chemicals weren't used. :oops:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I can't find the threads here at Fanlax for so many dead people whom I assume the FLP's would be grieving over, such as threads for Capt. David Dorn (deceased), Officer Shay Mikalonis (critical condition, likely brain dead), and Deputy Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller (deceased). Please point them out for me, thanks.

Also if you don't know who any of those three officers are, that's the point...

Now comes word that in Chicago this weekend, 84 people were shot and 24 died, in one of the worst weekends for violence ever in that beleaguered city. The lefties here must be distraught, right? Where are their cries of outrage over these black lives which matter?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/1/2 ... -29-june-1
ggait

Post by ggait »

By Salty's definition, cocaine and heroin would not be considered chemicals. Since they are derived from plants.

Nice to know that the feds are woke enough these days to only use organic, naturally occurring riot control agents on our citizens.

"Free of any artificial flavors or colorings! Just pure tasty chili pepper. After the riot, you can use it on your tacos!"

GMAFB
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:22 am I can't find the threads here at Fanlax for so many dead people whom I assume the FLP's would be grieving over, such as threads for Capt. David Dorn (deceased), Officer Shay Mikalonis (critical condition, likely brain dead), and Deputy Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller (deceased). Please point them out for me, thanks.

Also if you don't know who any of those three officers are, that's the point...

Now comes word that in Chicago this weekend, 84 people were shot and 24 died, in one of the worst weekends for violence ever in that beleaguered city. The lefties here must be distraught, right? Where are their cries of outrage over these black lives which matter?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/1/2 ... -29-june-1
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020 ... e-5-8-2020

Progress!
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

I can't find the threads here at Fanlax for so many dead people whom I assume the FLP's would be grieving over, . Please point them out for me, thanks.
Could someone please point out the thread where Peter Brown says he was wrong about the below postings? I can't seem to find it. Which, I guess, means Peter Brown still believes this.

“The preliminary autopsy was just released right now, and the results suggest that the deceased died of causes unrelated to the cop's knee.”

“You are wrong here. The cop did not torture the guy 'to death'. He died of other causes,”

Even after a few weeks, I'm still stunned that anyone could ever say such gross, disgusting and inhuman things like this. Doubly stunned that such a poster would have the shameless indecency to continue to show up here, when he knows we all think he is a total POS.

That's really something.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:23 am By Salty's definition, cocaine and heroin would not be considered chemicals. Since they are derived from plants.

Nice to know that the feds are woke enough these days to only use organic, naturally occurring riot control agents on our citizens.

"Free of any artificial flavors or colorings! Just pure tasty chili pepper. After the riot, you can use it on your tacos!"

GMAFB
So are you advocating for dogs and fire hoses? What would you have them use?

How about obey the lawful orders of police and disperse when told to. Then nothing needs to be used.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

get it to x wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 am
ggait wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:23 am By Salty's definition, cocaine and heroin would not be considered chemicals. Since they are derived from plants.

GMAFB

How about obey the lawful orders of police and disperse when told to. Then nothing needs to be used.
The whole argument has been about whether or not the government is lying about what they did Monday to clear the area out before Trump did his campaign commercial in front of the church. They were lying, and their story keeps changing daily since. OS won't let it go - relying on redefining words to make some of the statements true.
ggait

Post by ggait »

How about don't gaslight us?

"No tear gas!" "No chemicals!" is beyond preposterous.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

get it to x wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 am

GMAFB

Feathers.. tickle them into submission with feathers. The next best solution is to hand out 50 dollar gift cards if everybody will just go home. The only other option is more inhumane and involves playing Slim Witman.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:35 am
I can't find the threads here at Fanlax for so many dead people whom I assume the FLP's would be grieving over, . Please point them out for me, thanks.
Could someone please point out the thread where Peter Brown says he was wrong about the below postings? I can't seem to find it. Which, I guess, means Peter Brown still believes this.

“The preliminary autopsy was just released right now, and the results suggest that the deceased died of causes unrelated to the cop's knee.”

“You are wrong here. The cop did not torture the guy 'to death'. He died of other causes,”

Even after a few weeks, I'm still stunned that anyone could ever say such gross, disgusting and inhuman things like this. Doubly stunned that such a poster would have the shameless indecency to continue to show up here, when he knows we all think he is a total POS.

That's really something
Are you sure that Dr. Michael Baden actually performed a physical autopsy? If you watch his video interview he keeps saying “The video shows”. Sounds to me like all of his observations are from viewing the video. If he had done an actual autopsy on an asphyxiated victim he would likely be talking about burst blood vessels in the eye and other common observations in asphyxiation deaths. Remember, he was hired by the family attorney to assist them in a civil case.

This is not to say George Floyd’s death was not an injustice, it was. Just cautioning all to get all of the facts before reaching a conclusion.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
ggait

Post by ggait »

X -- so are you going down the drain now with Peter Brown?

After watching the video, you could say Floyd died of "other causes" unrelated to the cop's knee?

If so, I'd say to you, as I have with Peter Brown, "what is wrong with you?"

FYI, all the autopsy's said homicide caused by the cop. Dirtbag Peter Brown was talking about the public coroner, by the way.

Sheesh.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:03 am X -- so are you going down the drain now with Peter Brown?

After watching the video, you could say Floyd died of "other causes" unrelated to the cop's knee?

If so, I'd say to you, as I have with Peter Brown, "what is wrong with you?"

FYI, all the autopsy's said homicide caused by the cop. Dirtbag Peter Brown was talking about the public coroner, by the way.

Sheesh.
What part of this don't you understand? From my post:" This is not to say George Floyd’s death was not an injustice, it was."
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Baden along with the University of Michigan Medical School's director of autopsy and forensic services, Dr. Allecia Wilson did the second autopsy. They would have looked at the body as well, but since certain things were cut open/out, they do admit that some of the tissue samples were not in situ. But they would have looked at the same things the original medical examiner would have looked at.

They refer to the video of his killing because it is available, and provides more information than would otherwise be available.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ggait wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:44 am How about don't gaslight us?

If you have a better solution go ahead and enlighten everyone. If it takes huge snootful of CS gas to break up an unruly mob then so be it. No need to mislead anybody. I have had more snootfuls of CS gas in my day than U care to remember. Is it nasty stuff? Hell effing yeah it us. Will it make you want to leave the AO asap? It sure as hell will. That is the whole point why you use it in the first place. :roll: If you don't like breathing it in, don't find yourself part of an unruly mob. I don't know the answer to this. How many verbal warnings were given to disperse and leave the area? If you choose to ignore the warnings... then you get what you get.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:09 am
ggait wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:44 am How about don't gaslight us?

If you have a better solution go ahead and enlighten everyone. If it takes huge snootful of CS gas to break up an unruly mob then so be it. No need to mislead anybody. I have had more snootfuls of CS gas in my day than U care to remember. Is it nasty stuff? Hell effing yeah it us. Will it make you want to leave the AO asap? It sure as hell will. That is the whole point why you use it in the first place. :roll: If you don't like breathing it in, don't find yourself part of an unruly mob. I don't know the answer to this. How many verbal warnings were given to disperse and leave the area? If you choose to ignore the warnings... then you get what you get.
The gaslighting is about the lies that they did not use "chemicals" or "tear gas." But there is a real question of why the people that were lawfully (and peacefully according to people observing) needed to be forcefully evicted from the location at that specific time. More gaslighting from the government about how it really was not for Trump to have his walk over to the church for campaign purposes, but rather it just needed to happen then (a half hour before curfew?).
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Robert E. Lee is my ancestor. Take down his statue, and let his cause be lost.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ce=twitter
Robert W. Lee IV is the pastor of Unifour Church and author of the book “A Sin by Any Other Name: Reckoning With Racism and the Heritage of the South.”

In the small town where I live and grew up, the Lost Cause of the Confederacy didn’t need a special name — it was the education we all received. We were taught that during the Civil War, the Confederate States of America had just motive. Perhaps you’ve heard the mantra: “The Civil War was fought for states’ rights.” It was enshrined in monuments across the country after the war ended.

The catch is that there’s more to that sentence, something we southerners are never taught: The Civil War was fought for states’ rights to enslave African people in the United States of America.

Many of us were never taught the rest of the sentence and are forced to discover it for ourselves, but my reality is unique amid the landscape of southern identity. My name is Robert W. Lee: I’m a Christian pastor, a husband, a friend, a son, a brother. But you undoubtedly realize that I bear the name of the icon of the Southern understanding of the world, and I also bear his heritage.

As a descendant of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s family, I have borne the weight and responsibility of that lineage. Even though my parents never pushed it or subscribed to all that it could entail, my own upbringing oozed with Southern pride. I had a black nanny — even in the 1990s — and a Confederate flag that hung in my bedroom until middle school. I believed that in commanding the Army of Northern Virginia, Lee was a Christian man with the best of intentions.

But today I am proud to be part of a new era for the South and the country. And on Thursday, I was present with Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) and Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax (D) as they announced the intent of the commonwealth to remove the iconic statue of Lee on Richmond’s Monument Avenue.

I am fully aware that the broken, racist system we have built on the Lost Cause is far larger than a single statue, but the statue of my ancestor has stood for years in Richmond as an idol of this white supremacist mind-set. The statue is a hollow reminder of a painful ideology and acts of oppression against black people. Taking it down will provide new opportunities for conversations, relationships and policy change.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Of course—using the same standards you all are using to equate all police with evil— you must all therefore agree with this protestor.

“SPD (Seattle Police Department), I need you to do me a favor. Take your guns, put them onto your chins, and pull the trigger,” the man yelled. “I need you to kill yourselves. That’s your only redemption. Go ahead, save us the trouble of tearing you apart and *****ing kill yourselves. Did I stutter? I said ‘k-k-k-kill yourselves.”

“****ing kill yourselves. It’s the only chance you have left to do something good for the world and that’s remove yourself from it,” he shouted.

As this madman shouted, Mosqueda looked at him but didn’t condemn the messaging.

The anger that you hear is justified
,” — Seattle Councilmember Teresa Mosqueda

And look how cute she is.Looks completely harmless.

https://twitter.com/CMTMosqueda/photo
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

If the people being policed in a specific city are fine with removing police officers, great.

Put it to referendum. We have an election coming just a few mos away.

Let’s add term limits to all Public servants while we’re at it.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:25 am If the people being policed in a specific city are fine with removing police officers, great.

I'm with you on term limits - and also not for eliminating the police (if that is what is meant by "defund")

Check out what Camden NJ did which makes sense to me

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... department

excerpt - "The transformation began after the 2012 homicide spike. The department wanted to put more officers on patrol but couldn’t afford to hire more, partly because of generous union contracts. So in 2013, the mayor and city council dissolved the local PD and signed an agreement for the county to provide shared services. The new county force is double the size of the old one, and officers almost exclusively patrol the city. (They were initially nonunion but have since unionized.) Increasing the head count was a trust-building tactic, says Thomson, who served as chief throughout the transition: Daily, noncrisis interactions between residents and cops went up. Police also got de-escalation training and body cameras, and more cameras and devices to detect gunfire were installed around the city.ty vaguely, Camden’s definition is much clearer. The department adopted an 18-page use-of-force policy in 2019, developed with New York University’s Policing Project. The rules emphasize that de-escalation has to come first. Deadly force—such as a chokehold or firing a gun—can only be used in certain situations, once every other tactic has been exhausted. “It requires that force is not only reasonable and necessary, but that it’s proportionate,” says Farhang Heydari, executive director of the Policing Project. Most important, “they’re requirements. They’re not suggestions.”

An officer who sees a colleague violating the edict must intervene; the department can fire any officer it finds acted out of line. By the department’s account, reports of excessive force complaints in Camden have dropped 95% since 2014."

It is not perfect but it's a start and most of it seems eminently reasonable to me. I'd be interested in your take.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:25 am If the people being policed in a specific city are fine with removing police officers, great.

I'm with you on term limits - and also not for eliminating the police (if that is what is meant by "defund")

Check out what Camden NJ did which makes sense to me

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... department

excerpt - "The transformation began after the 2012 homicide spike. The department wanted to put more officers on patrol but couldn’t afford to hire more, partly because of generous union contracts. So in 2013, the mayor and city council dissolved the local PD and signed an agreement for the county to provide shared services. The new county force is double the size of the old one, and officers almost exclusively patrol the city. (They were initially nonunion but have since unionized.) Increasing the head count was a trust-building tactic, says Thomson, who served as chief throughout the transition: Daily, noncrisis interactions between residents and cops went up. Police also got de-escalation training and body cameras, and more cameras and devices to detect gunfire were installed around the city.ty vaguely, Camden’s definition is much clearer. The department adopted an 18-page use-of-force policy in 2019, developed with New York University’s Policing Project. The rules emphasize that de-escalation has to come first. Deadly force—such as a chokehold or firing a gun—can only be used in certain situations, once every other tactic has been exhausted. “It requires that force is not only reasonable and necessary, but that it’s proportionate,” says Farhang Heydari, executive director of the Policing Project. Most important, “they’re requirements. They’re not suggestions.”

An officer who sees a colleague violating the edict must intervene; the department can fire any officer it finds acted out of line. By the department’s account, reports of excessive force complaints in Camden have dropped 95% since 2014."

It is not perfect but it's a start and most of it seems eminently reasonable to me. I'd be interested in your take.
Actually this is a more likely scenario that actually completely getting rid of the police (and what Camden did was a feature of last night's John Oliver show).

Return to “POLITICS”