Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Racism in America- Week 2 of Riots

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:52 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:18 am
old salt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:01 am Last weekend in njbill's old work neighborhood, before Trump directed Barr & Esper to deploy additional Fed law enforcement & DC NG personnel.
The Mayor & DC Police were inadequate to the task. Lot's of 1st Amendmet expression in the form of graffiti tagging on private property & Fed buildings & monuments. It's an abuse of white privilege to remove it. Stay safe & practice social distancing this wk end.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/loca ... b9b00502bc
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pent ... monuments/
https://www.wusa9.com/video/news/local/ ... 3406a4b722
Really, if you live in a Democratic city, you won't be able to shop in any store any longer since no sane shop owner would expose their inventory to wanton looting and rioting as Democratic mayors and governors are encouraging. Not to mention that no one will want to erect any statues or make life beautiful since anything clean will simply be defaced.

Like I say, the choice is stark this Fall: chaos, ugliness, and disorder for Dems; civility, order, and freedom for Republicans. I am not sure how to spell it out clearer for you.
Probably did better with the looting and insurance claims versus no sales as there was no retail traffic.
Lot's of interviews with minority business owners with inadequate or no loss insurance for looting.
Of course, the insurance costs aren't passed along. It's victimless crime.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:34 am
a fan wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:09 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:39 pm 6ft is helping tremendously. The observation is liberals only care about deaths when it helps their narrative, but they obviously do not care about deaths do not.
You are tone deaf. And so are millions of your fellow Americans. This is sending a HORRIBLE message, and I have no clue why this is so difficult to understand the message you are sending with this nonsense.

Here's what BLM is about, in their own words:

Black Lives Matter Foundation, Inc is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.

So no, they aren't going to get involved when a black officer gets shot in the line of duty. That's not what this NGO does.

Why is this so hard to understand, Pete? They're also not going to rescue stray dogs, fundraise to fight Cancer, or do anything whatsoever about clean water.

And yet why is this the ONLY organization that you and your team complains about in this manner? That's what I'd like to know.

You go to fundraisers yes? Do you go to a Children's Hospital Fundraiser, and berate everyone there, asking them what they're doing about Homelessness? I mean: what's wrong with them? Don't they care about homelessness? What a bunch of freaking hypocrites, right??? :roll:

Most fundraisers I attend no one is in my face screaming at me.
Ah, so you finally understand that telling BLM what they are supposed to be protesting or working on is colossally stupid.

You finally arrived at the destination.
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:34 am cult
/kəlt/

a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
"a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"
Ignorance: noun. lack of knowledge or information.

You know, for a guy who bellowed about Civil Rights being his #1 priority....

BLM is working with legislatures around the country, including Denver and Colorado, working on fixing the systemic problems in policing.

The already worked to get the prison reform bill signed by Trump last year.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:52 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:18 am
old salt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:01 am Last weekend in njbill's old work neighborhood, before Trump directed Barr & Esper to deploy additional Fed law enforcement & DC NG personnel.
The Mayor & DC Police were inadequate to the task. Lot's of 1st Amendmet expression in the form of graffiti tagging on private property & Fed buildings & monuments. It's an abuse of white privilege to remove it. Stay safe & practice social distancing this wk end.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/loca ... b9b00502bc
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pent ... monuments/
https://www.wusa9.com/video/news/local/ ... 3406a4b722
Really, if you live in a Democratic city, you won't be able to shop in any store any longer since no sane shop owner would expose their inventory to wanton looting and rioting as Democratic mayors and governors are encouraging. Not to mention that no one will want to erect any statues or make life beautiful since anything clean will simply be defaced.

Like I say, the choice is stark this Fall: chaos, ugliness, and disorder for Dems; civility, order, and freedom for Republicans. I am not sure how to spell it out clearer for you.
Probably did better with the looting and insurance claims versus no sales as there was no retail traffic.
Lot's of interviews with minority business owners with inadequate or no loss insurance for looting.
Of course, the insurance costs aren't passed along. It's victimless crime.
Too bad.
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:34 am I’m amazed that you seem so unconcerned about the threat posed by 100k-200k protesters descending upon DC this weekend.

Set aside the public health risk, which makes a mockery of all the sacrifices the American people have made over the past 3 mos.

The creatiion of BLM plaza is a magnet, funneling protesters straight at the WH. It is as provocative as any of Trump's rhetoric or photo ops.
It is the perfect location to mass rioters to threaten the WH.

NYC has finally awakened & is maintaining a curfew through the wk end.
Perfectly timed thunderstorms helped dampen DC unrest the past 2 nights since the curfew was lifted on Thurs.

DC's Mayor has lifted the curfew, is trying to evict NG troops, & is objecting to the deployment of Fed law enforcement officers.

Since the early inadequate response by DC Police, Barr & Esper have resourcefully marshaled Fed law enforcement & National Guard assets to protect the WH & other Fed buildings, property & monuments. If rioters breach the fence & enter Laf Pk, things could devolve quickly.

This is a high risk maneuver by Mayor Bowser. If DC burns this wk end, it's on her.

What happens in DC this wk end, & BLM plaza in particular, will tell us how peaceful these protests are intended to be.

I'm hoping for the best & that you're right that any threat has dissipated, but I fear the worst.
I have some concerns, but I am hoping for the best, too.

D.C. has seen huge crowds before. After Kent State, something like 100,000 protesters came and marched. Martin Luther King’s I have a dream speech. The million man march. Women’s rights rallies. Those are the ones that come immediately to mind. I am sure there are other instances. There are also presidential inaugurations. Those aren’t protests, but they involve big crowds.

The BLM Plaza may be a magnet, but it may also be a calming influence. I’m sure you’ve seen video from around the country where police have taken knees with protesters and other similar acts.

Large crowds doesn’t necessarily mean mass riots. Will there be some instances of bad actors? I would suspect so, but unfortunately that seems to always be the case. You can’t let a few bad apples spoil the entire bunch, however. You can’t let a few knuckleheads keep the large majority from exercising their First Amendment rights.
a fan

Post by a fan »

njbill wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:18 pm ou can’t let a few bad apples spoil the entire bunch, however. You can’t let a few knuckleheads keep the large majority from exercising their First Amendment rights.
This is the part that I can't stand when it comes to the focus on rioting.

America understands the idea of having a few bad apples at police departments making the 99% of good cops look bad. They get that, without any difficulty whatsoever.

But when the same thing happens with peaceful demonstrations? A few "bad apples" acting like total wankers, ruining the peaceful protest?

Suddenly they turn their understanding off. I don't get it.

No one is claiming their fellow posters don't care that George Floyd was murdered, or that their fellow posters don't condemn the policeman who murdered him.

And yet claims that their fellow posters don't care about rioting or looting are thrown around here with abandon.

Pretty disappointing....
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:18 pm ou can’t let a few bad apples spoil the entire bunch, however. You can’t let a few knuckleheads keep the large majority from exercising their First Amendment rights.

America understands the idea of having a few bad apples at police departments making the 99% of good cops look bad. They get that, without any difficulty whatsoever.

But when the same thing happens with peaceful demonstrations? A few "bad apples" acting like total wankers, ruining the peaceful protest?

No one is claiming their fellow posters don't care that George Floyd was murdered, or that their fellow posters don't condemn the policeman who murdered him.

And yet claims that their fellow posters don't care about rioting or looting are thrown around here with abandon.

Pretty disappointing....
It is a mechanism for changing the subject. Then the conversation is steered toward something it was not originally - what to do about those few bad police apples. Instead it becomes about how bad the people who are protesting really are, so they can be dismissed and the original problem is still there but now ignored.

The whole point of the protesting is to make the power structures in the country understand that it needs to pay attention and make positive changes.

So in that context - everything Trump has said about the killing is that everyone needs to do better. Nothing more - no plans on how to make that happen. And then the change in subject.

An utter LACK of leadership - which is one of the most consistent characteristics of the current president.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Turns out there was indeed more than met the eye with the mass resignations in Buffalo.

“We quit because our union said [they] aren’t legally backing us anymore. So why would we stand on a line for the City with no legal backing if something [were to] happen? Has nothing to do with us supporting,” said another.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/ex ... C8ylrlb0EA

Attention Republicans: are you starting to see the massive opportunity you have to help clean up policing in America? How many more times do you need to see the word "Union"???
Bart

Post by Bart »

6ftstick wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:30 pm Mark Levine, Democrat, chairman of NYC council's health committee, on Wednesday instructed those worried that mass gatherings would lead to an uptick in COVID-19 cases to "blame racism" instead of a lack of social distancing.

"Let's be clear about something: if there is a spike in coronavirus cases in the next two weeks, don't blame the protesters," Levine tweeted. "Blame racism."
Words matter. This is not helpful from a public health standpoint.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Bart wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:53 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:30 pm Mark Levine, Democrat, chairman of NYC council's health committee, on Wednesday instructed those worried that mass gatherings would lead to an uptick in COVID-19 cases to "blame racism" instead of a lack of social distancing.

"Let's be clear about something: if there is a spike in coronavirus cases in the next two weeks, don't blame the protesters," Levine tweeted. "Blame racism."
But would not actual action to make better public policing policies actually then be beneficial from a public health standpoint as well?
Bart

Post by Bart »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:55 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:53 pm

But would not actual action to make better public policing policies actually then be beneficial from a public health standpoint as well?
Sure. In the long game but we are playing a short game right now are we not? From the current public health pandemic...............this is not helpful.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:41 pm

Pretty disappointing....
It is a mechanism for changing the subject. Then the conversation is steered toward something it was not originally - what to do about those few bad police apples. Instead it becomes about how bad the people who are protesting really are, so they can be dismissed and the original problem is still there but now ignored.

The whole point of the protesting is to make the power structures in the country understand that it needs to pay attention and make positive changes.

So in that context - everything Trump has said about the killing is that everyone needs to do better. Nothing more - no plans on how to make that happen. And then the change in subject.

An utter LACK of leadership - which is one of the most consistent characteristics of the current president.
Yeh really not much to see on the looting side of this story.

St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter and Police Chief Todd Axtell said groups of young people were traveling around the city in groups of up to 20 vehicles — many without license plates in an attempt to go undetected — and breaking into businesses and looting. more than 170 businesses were damaged or looted, and dozens of fires were set

As of Friday night, at least 530 businesses across the Twin Cities had been vandalized, looted or had doors and windows smashed. Some have been reduced to rubble, and at least 67 have been destroyed completely by fire. Others have reported extensive water damage or severe fire damage.

Macys flagship store in NY was LOOTED and Sax Fifth Avenue was boarded up with plywood, wrapped in Razor wire and chain link fence with privately hired guards and Dogs every 10 feet around the entire perimeter.

Thats just me changing the subject.
njbill

Post by njbill »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:05 pm many without license plates in an attempt to go undetected
Hmm. Sounds an awful lot like Bill Barr’s No Name No ID Black Shirt Marauders.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

They should place land mines in the stores and set up booby traps like John J. Rambo. If you remember.....he was also pissed off at the "king $heot cop".
Last edited by youthathletics on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Pretty disappointing....

St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter and Police Chief Todd Axtell said groups of young people were traveling around the city in groups of up to 20 vehicles — many without license plates in an attempt to go undetected — and breaking into businesses and looting. more than 170 businesses were damaged or looted, and dozens of fires were set

As of Friday night, at least 530 businesses across the Twin Cities had been vandalized, looted or had doors and windows smashed. Some have been reduced to rubble, and at least 67 have been destroyed completely by fire. Others have reported extensive water damage or severe fire damage.

Macys flagship store in NY was LOOTED and Sax Fifth Avenue was boarded up with plywood, wrapped in Razor wire and chain link fence with privately hired guards and Dogs every 10 feet around the entire perimeter.

What are you doing to make a difference?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:32 pm What are you doing to make a difference?
Any ideas?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Pretty disappointing....

And I have no problem with the police arresting them - but they are taking advantage of the fact that the police are preoccupied with the largely peaceful demonstrations. So why are the police concentrating on the wrong people?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Pretty disappointing....
What would you call the looters who invaded you friends business in MN ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Pretty disappointing....

It's a mechanism for focusing on the actual damages done & the ulterior motives of those encouraging & rationalizing the destructive, deadly rioting & looting.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:32 pm What are you doing to make a difference?
Any ideas?
You are supposedly a Christian. Figure it out.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:43 pm Turns out there was indeed more than met the eye with the mass resignations in Buffalo.

“We quit because our union said [they] aren’t legally backing us anymore. So why would we stand on a line for the City with no legal backing if something [were to] happen? Has nothing to do with us supporting,” said another.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/ex ... C8ylrlb0EA

Attention Republicans: are you starting to see the massive opportunity you have to help clean up policing in America? How many more times do you need to see the word "Union"???
This is indeed something that is going to be interesting...are Dems going to buck the idea of 'unions'?

This is indeed a case where union power creates an immensely deleterious impact. And has for decades.

There's talk, from Dems, of defunding police departments. Until unions agree to give up their protection of officers getting canned for brutality?

And how does that play out?

Seems to me, you defund the existing police department, with notice of 'now hiring' for the new police department, applications welcome...reviewing existing police applications for past patterns...pay more for good cops, hire more...

But will Dems be willing to admit that unions in what are essentially monopoly situations a bad idea? Education?

Or will the unions adapt and give up some of these controls?

This would indeed an opportunity for the GOP, conducive to earlier ideological views, if they just weren't so embedded demographically in a white power structure and been so dependent upon the 'southern strategy'.

Return to “POLITICS”