All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

ggait

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by ggait »

So face masks, eye protection and social distancing are pretty darn effective.
I continue to be frustrated how poorly these scientists explain themselves.

I looked and can't figure out what they are saying about various types of masks. Which was the same problem we had before. Surgeon general went from "stop buying masks" (when intending N95s) to "always wear a mask" (when intending hoe made and bandanas).

While any mask is better than none, how significant is the difference between N95 vs. commercial surgical mask vs. home made mask vs. bandana?

I've trended towards thinner/looser so it is more comfortable and won't fog my glasses. But I wonder if those masks are pretty weak sauce.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

ggait wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 pm

I looked and can't figure out what they are saying about various types of masks. Which was the same problem we had before. Surgeon general went from "stop buying masks" (when intending N95s) to "always wear a mask" (when intending hoe made and bandanas).

While any mask is better than none, how significant is the difference between N95 vs. commercial surgical mask vs. home made mask vs. bandana?

I've trended towards thinner/looser so it is more comfortable and won't fog my glasses. But I wonder if those masks are pretty weak sauce.
Did you read the study? They address a few types of masks.

Scientists don't make the sound bites, which is why a large portion of Americans don't trust repeated, verified studies.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:56 pm Dr. Fauci said it was gonna come back in a second wave, the if we weren't good little boys and girls it might come back in a second wave, oh wait, he then walked that back a again and is now optimistic that it wont be that bad. He's all over the place....maybe he caught whatever Joe Biden has. :lol:
So you think scientists should have a virus that's less than a year old completely figured out? And if they don't get this understanding in a matter of months..they're incompetent?

OF COURSE he's all over the place, YA. This organism is just months old.

How long have they been working on a cure for cancer? Are all the guys working on that idiots or something?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

holmes435 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:12 pm

Did you read the study? They address a few types of masks.

Scientists don't make the sound bites, which is why a large portion of Americans don't trust repeated, verified studies.
i'm pretty sure the who has recently advertised masks aren't worth it or necessary if you're not healthcare or sick.
and did the same in april.
how is it that any novice is supposed to respect any kind of advice or study to the contrary?
they are the world health organization.

oh... havent updated, i've got tons of links, some that are funny as hell... including adult film chief scientists...the lancet hcq study is now fully flammable

the who stopped studies, changed policies in a number of countries (ok, maybe a half dozen even went with them)... now reversing themselves and nejm, the who (and even now the lancet!!!), are "concerned" about what might be (is) fraudulent data. so many voters disappointed, at least for now.

oh... the lancet chief editor is a trump hater. so glad we could merge politics with healthcare from the healthcare side. you know, for balance.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

California, Texas, Florida led the nation in new cases yesterday. Followed by New York (which is downtrending), North Carolina and Arizona.

Looks like Maryland and Arizona had the highest increase per capita.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

To protect oneself or to protect others?

that's where most of the confusion has been.

The way I've seen this, if you're older and/or have underlying co-morbidity risks, wear the N95 to protect oneself. But don't hang around inside where lots of others are, regardless.

If younger and no underlying conditions, where something that keeps sneezes, coughs, yelling, singing particles contained as much as you can, comfortably. It won't be perfect in doing so, but bother. Just don't expect it to help you that much.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Good explanation:

I have a client that makes the filtration material for N95 masks. There hasn’t been enough manufacturing capacity to meet demand. They are installing a new production line to meet demand but it won’t be up and running until maybe December. We are playing catch up. I read the book Demon in the Freezer which talked about virus size and protection equipment earlier in the year before the Covid19 outbreak. Use a HEPA filter if you can. I have some N95 masks and also some fabric masks with a pocket that I have inserted a HEPA filter. Breathing isn’t as easy with those and that’s why they are good.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:09 am

Good explanation:

I have a client that makes the filtration material for N95 masks. There hasn’t been enough manufacturing capacity to meet demand. They are installing a new production line to meet demand but it won’t be up and running until maybe December. We are playing catch up. I read the book Demon in the Freezer which talked about virus size and protection equipment earlier in the year before the Covid19 outbreak. Use a HEPA filter if you can. I have some N95 masks and also some fabric masks with a pocket that I have inserted a HEPA filter. Breathing isn’t as easy with those and that’s why they are good.
My wife has to wear an N95 mask at work for 8 hours. On top of that they are required to wear face shields as well. Breathing becomes a huge issue after only an hour. When there is a break in procedures everybody tries to find a place to get some fresh air for a couple of minutes. You may suffocate and pass out on the floor and crack your head open. That corona virus may or may not get you. Thank you big brother for your concern .
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Good explanation:

My wife has to wear an N95 mask at work for 8 hours. On top of that they are required to wear face shields as well. Breathing becomes a huge issue after only an hour. When there is a break in procedures everybody tries to find a place to get some fresh air for a couple of minutes. You may suffocate and pass out on the floor and crack your head open. That corona virus may or may not get you. Thank you big brother for your concern .
My sister is a nurse and a guy I work with has a wife that works Coronavirus cases. Hopefully they stay safe. Wearing a mask is definitely helpful.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/heal ... e=Homepage

Having type A blood apparently increases your risk of severe COVID-19...
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Good explanation:

My sister is a nurse and a guy I work with has a wife that works Coronavirus cases. Hopefully they stay safe. Wearing a mask is definitely helpful.
Do you wear a mask in your ivory tower?
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Good explanation:

Yes. I have some N95s and then some cloth masks with HEPA inserts.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Imagine how a jurist is going to feel during all the upcoming trials......as I have been saying since March.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Good explanation:

Sorry you have pre existing conditions. Hopefully , you stay at home and don't need to wear a mask. Otherwize, your home, car, etc. must be pollen free at this point :roll: Think about it.....wearing a mask, in most environments, is futile. World Health Organization said so. they did.

You can't make this stuff up.

Over 100k dead.......complete B.S. I mean, seriously, who at this point does NOT know that putting V=19 down as cause of death is financially beneficially......as a method of accuracy.......is someone NOT to be trusted With anything. Maybe starting the grill.......but, the over 100 K death count, is a lie. This, can be proven. Especially, in a court of law.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Good explanation:

Sorry you have pre existing conditions. Hopefully , you stay at home and don't need to wear a mask. Otherwize, your home, car, etc. must be pollen free at this point :roll: Think about it.....wearing a mask, in most environments, is futile. World Health Organization said so. they did.

You can't make this stuff up.

Over 100k dead.......complete B.S. I mean, seriously, who at this point does NOT know that putting V=19 down as cause of death is financially beneficially......as a method of accuracy.......is someone NOT to be trusted With anything. Maybe starting the grill.......but, the over 100 K death count, is a lie. This, can be proven. Especially, in a court of law.
Bye Russell.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

We crossed 110th street in # of deaths today.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

3R -- you are just incorrect about this.

Using 100% standard methodology, the experts say we passed 100k deaths about three weeks sooner than when the tally hit 100k.

Best/universal way to measure is "excess deaths" method. The numbers are completely clear and solid.

Explanation below.

Between March 1 and May 9, the nation recorded an estimated 101,600 excess deaths, or deaths beyond the number that would normally be expected for that time of year, according to an analysis conducted for The Washington Post by a research team led by the Yale School of Public Health. That figure reflects about 26,000 more fatalities than were attributed to covid-19 on death certificates during that period, according to federal data.

Such “excess death” analyses are a standard tool used by epidemiologists to gauge the true toll of infectious-disease outbreaks and other widespread disasters.

The Yale-led team used historical death data to estimate the expected number of deaths for each week this year, adjusting for such factors as seasonal variation and the intensity of flu epidemics. To calculate excess deaths, the researchers subtracted their estimate of expected deaths from the overall number of deaths reported by the National Center for Health Statistics.

The covid-19 death toll, a key data point in shaping the public-health response to the pandemic, has become a political flash point. Allies of President Trump have claimed that the government tally is inflated, contending that it includes people with other medical conditions who would have died with or without an infection.

The Yale-led analysis, however, suggests that the actual number of people who have died because of the pandemic is far greater than the official government death tallies. The researchers estimated that the number of excess deaths between March 1 and May 9 was most likely between 97,500 and 105,500.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

firstly, it's my understanding once epidemics abate, using crude or precise measurements, typically numbers of all types get adjusted.

not speaking for rrr, but using excess deaths doesn't work on a lot of fronts and is dependent on how you want to frame it.
examples...
people with conditions not getting their care. because they were afraid, made to be afraid, not allowed or able to get care, "locked down", had medical conditions exacerbated by the pandemic, suicide.
yes they would be "as a result of covid 19" but they may also be as a result of the actions around covid 19.

no one here or anywhere has the perfect calculus ahead of time, and certainly not in the middle of, a pandemic.... for saving the most possible lives. not to mention the ensuing hardship. mistakes will be made, and you don't get to run monte carlo simulations again amd again.

if you're talking how many have both tested for covid 19 and got clear definition that led to cause of death, it''s likely quite a bit lower at this point. i've heard medical examiners saying as time allows they'll be checking to confirm all that may have had it and hadn't had it actually confirmed even if presumed. that may be much later than being able to judge cause of death for everyone but may come close. still won't change the above.

excess deaths. hope it ends soon and we get lucky or smart.

this really seems like a silly argument between us all anyway. the lives matter individually of course. but is anyone really going to have some upper hand in a debate if the number is 85 vs 105 vs 125? is that material? 85s a lot. 125 is more but 85 is a lot. debate from there.

is it about agenda? maybe that matters, but at this point that's just another news cycle. why our populace decided to make politics the way we practice it the overriding theme of our country is beyond me. maybe term limits. somebody come up with a good solution to that mess.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

It sounds like the entities that analyzed the data did not follow appropriate scientific procedures and that independent analyses have not been able to be performed.

I don’t think there is any suggestion that there is a problem with the underlying, raw data. I suspect that once that is properly analyzed, the conclusions will be essentially the same as initially reported.

Return to “POLITICS”