Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 51percentcorn »

Timing is pretty quick for giving someone his walking papers. Koesterer was announced as the DC on May 8 - Hopfan noticed Gomez was no longer on the roster on May 17th. If PM and JK got together by phone within 8/9 days and was able to decided somebody didn't fit their plans - that's pretty quick. Easier for me to believe they didnt even have plans yet.
While this staff is going to have to stalk the halls like the infamous Turk of pro football camps - "Coach wants to see you - bring your playbook" I am not sure this was one of those. My first guess is he was looking at the Fernandez transfer - which happened right around or soon after the Koesterer announcement - heard both Lyne and Colwell wanted to return and figured he needed to be hitting the road sooner rather than later.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Or poached.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:12 pm Or poached.
"The coach is too mean, the coach recruits 6th graders". Now someone else is the bad guy.

So far we've seen a lot of low level guys move on. Question is will a major figure, a deso, a colwell, a darby, a zinn, a mcmanus switch.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 pm
"The coach is too mean, the coach recruits 6th graders". Now someone else is the bad guy.

So far we've seen a lot of low level guys move on. Question is will a major figure, a deso, a colwell, a darby, a zinn, a mcmanus switch.
I suspect that will happen when they are relegated to the bench and I can see that happening with at least three in that group
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

houndace1 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:07 pm Ty Xanders reported that Michael Gomez is in the transfer portal as of yesterday. An under armour all american, IL named him as the #47 freshmen in the country in 2019 as well as the 12th best freshmen defenseman in the nation in 2019.

Not sure if this is true but there are rumors that he is looking at a school down Charles Street. That can either mean Towson even though it should technically be down York Road, or Loyola.
Technically, should it not be up Charles St (or York Rd) since both are north of Homewood? :mrgreen:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Here’s the thing though: is anyone really a low level guy?

You have a whole new coaching team coming in - now is potentially your chance to shine.

If a player thinks of themselves to be a low level guy, or previous circumstances have led them to think that of themselves, well, that’s just sad.

I’m hoping to see multiple people break out and surprise. And hopefully given the chance to do so.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Big Dog wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:07 pm Ty Xanders reported that Michael Gomez is in the transfer portal as of yesterday. An under armour all american, IL named him as the #47 freshmen in the country in 2019 as well as the 12th best freshmen defenseman in the nation in 2019.

Not sure if this is true but there are rumors that he is looking at a school down Charles Street. That can either mean Towson even though it should technically be down York Road, or Loyola.
Technically, should it not be up Charles St (or York Rd) since both are north of Homewood? :mrgreen:
Depends on which way you are holding the map.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:56 pm

If I was Darby, I'd consider looking around. Better to drop down the pecking order to at least get some PT.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

But I think some of these guys-zinn, reinson, deso, in particular probably got really nice scholarships when they came in and unless they're going to a state school where the tuition is less, given their performances on the field thus far might not get as nice a package as they currently have.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

You guys can talk about individual players all you want until the cows come home.

I’m just hoping there’s a better TEAM with great chemistry and that has a lot more fun than it being a huge grind.

And winning a bit more would be an added bonus.

That would definitely make it more fun for them.

Why leave? Players have a chance to be a part of a major change and be proud of it - and that goes for those who turn out to either still be role players or suddenly become role players.

The value of a Hopkins education plus being a part of this new TEAM - hell, if it were me, I’d STAY.

Wombat

Navy folks: in my first sentence above - autocorrect changed cows to CIWS. Thankfully I noticed and fixed it. My phone is sort of self aware.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:00 pm But I think some of these guys-zinn, reinson, deso, in particular probably got really nice scholarships when they came in and unless they're going to a state school where the tuition is less, given their performances on the field thus far might not get as nice a package as they currently have.
Zinn still has a lot of upside. He's the fastest guy on the team and can get ground balls as well as run past his man. He just needs to work on his shooting. I'm pretty sure JR and Coach M can get something more out of him than the previous staff. It will be a test of their abilities to get the most out of him because his athleticism is off the charts and he was a top ten recruit coming in. He should be a major piece moving forward, again, with the right staff to develop his talents and skill set.
Deso had a pretty good freshman season and he's another player that potentially could be developed with the right coaching. It's also possible he never returns to form, but he's not someone to just give up on at this point.
We probably don't need to carry six goalies on the roster.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:00 pm But I think some of these guys-zinn, reinson, deso, in particular probably got really nice scholarships when they came in and unless they're going to a state school where the tuition is less, given their performances on the field thus far might not get as nice a package as they currently have.
Zinn still has a lot of upside. He's the fastest guy on the team and can get ground balls as well as run past his man. He just needs to work on his shooting. I'm pretty sure JR and Coach M can get something more out of him than the previous staff. It will be a test of their abilities to get the most out of him because his athleticism is off the charts and he was a top ten recruit coming in. He should be a major piece moving forward, again, with the right staff to develop his talents and skill set.
Deso had a pretty good freshman season and he's another player that potentially could be developed with the right coaching. It's also possible he never returns to form, but he's not someone to just give up on at this point.
Zinn has six goals on seventy shots and he's still the running subject? I like that youngster Murphy , where will he play next year?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

11 goals on seventy shots
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

stupefied wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:03 pm
Zinn has six goals on seventy shots and he's still the running subject? I like that youngster Murphy , where will he play next year?
Was hoping as an inside joke between them and their favorite message board thread the espn guys would refer to him as "the fastest man in the sport"out of tribute to lee coppersmith. Maybe quint and carc and anish can now refer to grimes et al as "a transformative class" out of tribute to doc b as they did a few years ago.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Big Dog wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm

Thank You. Seriously, that was driving me insane. It is up to Loyola/Towson is down to the Inner Harbor
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:50 pm
stupefied wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:03 pm
Was hoping as an inside joke between them and their favorite message board thread the espn guys would refer to him as "the fastest man in the sport"out of tribute to lee coppersmith. Maybe quint and carc and anish can now refer to grimes et al as "a transformative class" out of tribute to doc b as they did a few years ago.
Coppersmith was the fastest guy too...he also couldn't hit the broad side of a barn
viper

Post by viper »

Ultimately, shooting is not a hard thing to correct - and there is a pretty damn good coach that can help just off the beltway in Towson if he was interested. There are other current and past players on the JHU roster who have worked with him with great success. Then its just a matter of shooting on a goal night and day. It will come.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

viper wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 pm
Ultimately, shooting is not a hard thing to correct - and there is a pretty damn good coach that can help just off the beltway in Towson if he was interested. There are other current and past players on the JHU roster who have worked with him with great success. Then its just a matter of shooting on a goal night and day. It will come.
Zinc is a good shooter and is an underrated feeder. His passing is what I liked best in high school. I believe Zinn just needs to relax. A coaching change may help in that regard. Time will tell.
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Connor Reed was similar as well. It's not uncommon for really fast middies to have trouble shooting. Shooting on the run is hard—even harder when you're moving very quickly. Hopefully Zinn figures it out because his potential greatly exceeds that of Coppersmith or Reed, IMO. The type of unteachable speed, size, and athleticism that will end up on AA lists if he can figure out the shooting—call him a Swede, because he's everything but the finish, as they say. Cornell has a middie that's not all that different from Zinn's skill set (Connor Fletcher) who improved his shooting from 20% to 30% this year and was on pace to have by far his best season—perhaps PM can work the same magic with the Flying Ginger.
DenverJay

Post by DenverJay »

JGJR is one of the best ever at attack: 6’2” and 220 pounds—and a natural leftie. He will be coaching two near clones, both of whom are a bit bigger and weigh more and are natural lefties. It seems to me that if one JGJR clone on the field is good, then two would be better. To the extent it matters with elite players, Joey would be feeding with his strong hand and the clones would be shooting with their strong hand. An attack with a fifth-year man, a seasoned junior and a freshman has the potential to be a great mix. I look for both Williams and Grimes to start.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”