Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
notentitled

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by notentitled »

Perhaps, with the current economic situation, the parents thought money spent on an education at Towson was more cost effective.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

As has been discussed, given the new staff and the size of the roster, some churn is inevitable. It's always fun to see some news (even bad news), but these types of changes aren't likely to effect the product on the field.

The 21 recruiting class is interesting - we appear to have some good poles, the Greek God of Goalies and not much else at this point. Also seems like all the good offensive players are spoken for already - not many well regarded uncomitteds left. So absent some decommitments or finding some late bloomers/unknown Canadians, I'd guess that class will end up on the smaller side with the 22 class becoming a very important one for the program, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. I think the 22 class will be a big test for the new staff, with the general consensus being that the 22 class is pretty loaded, including Joey Spallina, Dom Petro and Sunderland, among others. Will be interesting to see how the lockdown changes recruiting for the 22's. Does the NCAA keep the September deadline? Without HS and possibly summer ball, with the schools be as aggressive as they've been in locking up guys as soon as possible or will they be more patient to see more development? Is is a foregone conclusion that the No. 1 attackman from LI goes to Duke again? Where do the Petro boys go?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

or maybe it could be about any reason and there's absolutely no legitimate reason to speculate on the kid's motivations or especially his academic prowess.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

houndace1 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 pm Ty Xanders just reported that the #86 overall recruit in the 2021 class Matthew Constantinides just decommited from Hopkins and committed to Towson today.

He's a FO guy and ranked #86 in the power 100. Is this a big loss or not really
I guess it depends if yung Matthew turns into Alex Woodall then big loss - if he's Woody from Toy Story not so much. If I had to bet there is a primary reasons for thinking why this decommitment occurred - the same as the other 2 decommits. In the fall of 2021 it's theoretically possible a fresh faced FO recruit could be looking at the following at Hop:
- 1 more year of Prouty
- 2 more years of Narewski
- 3 more years of Heverly (I think)
- 3 more years of Dunn

Especially if Narewski and Hop want the extra year of marriage ...could be a junior before you get to play significantly
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

No clue about the Petro kids—there were those rumors that perhaps they were looking more at the Ivies, maybe UVA, etc. but that was when dad was still the coach...I don't know if the coaching change makes them more or less likely to want to come to Hopkins. My gut says they'll probably look to turn the page and probably commit elsewhere but who knows. I definitely think we're still in play for Sunderland and I think Junior may even put us in play for the Spallina kid too.

There will be more 2021 turnover. Expect more decommits, as well as us grabbing a couple top guys who are currently committed elsewhere.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

The Petro/Hop divorce has been remarkably amicable (at least publicly), but I'd be shocked if Hop was a real contender for his kids given the timing.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I was one of the folks that had some market intel a while back that Dominic was not really considering Hopkins when pops was the coach. I did hear UVA and the Ivies at the time. Who knows? I can't fathom that the young lad would choose Homewood after his father got chased - JGJR is likely your only chance - such as if JR was Dom's idol or something like that. As far as Petro's other boy I did not see his name on any Boys Latin roster - did he move to another school? If the 2021 class continues to be scant in offensive players - the 2022 class finally does give some breathing room for recruits to see the field through the forest. Even with the theoretical extra year - by Spring of '23 Epstein could be gone - Murphy & Angelus are seniors (junior eligible) and the talent in this year class would be juniors.

When was the last time you looked at a Hopkins commitment list and saw only 6 names for rising seniors???
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:26 pm The Petro/Hop divorce has been remarkably amicable (at least publicly), but I'd be shocked if Hop was a real contender for his kids given the timing.
Publicly being the key word
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

towson offers cost, some programs of study we might not have, perhaps kids he played with and a coach that recruited him now. Unfortunately going to be a lot more churn. 36 frosh/sophs frankly I thought we'd see more go by now.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Ty Xanders reported that Michael Gomez is in the transfer portal as of yesterday. An under armour all american, IL named him as the #47 freshmen in the country in 2019 as well as the 12th best freshmen defenseman in the nation in 2019.

Not sure if this is true but there are rumors that he is looking at a school down Charles Street. That can either mean Towson even though it should technically be down York Road, or Loyola.

For any one who watched him play in HS, or even a sliver of practice/scrimmages, what's his attributes?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

He speaks softly and carries a big stick.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Sorry, that was uncalled for. I don’t know. I defer to others.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Not sure any of us will know. Never seemed to see the field. He was one of those guys who just didn't seem to have Petro's trust for whatever reason. I thought it was strange. Maybe he's not good. Maybe he couldn't pick up the system. Who knows. But if he ends up at Loyola, I'm afraid he could be very successful based on his recruiting profile and Loyola's excellent defensive scheme and coaching.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:07 pm Ty Xanders reported that Michael Gomez is in the transfer portal as of yesterday. An under armour all american, IL named him as the #47 freshmen in the country in 2019 as well as the 12th best freshmen defenseman in the nation in 2019.

Not sure if this is true but there are rumors that he is looking at a school down Charles Street. That can either mean Towson even though it should technically be down York Road, or Loyola.

For any one who watched him play in HS, or even a sliver of practice/scrimmages, what's his attributes?
That more than likely means Loyola, not Towson. I'm fairly certain Toomey recruited him out of high school.

He can play D or LSM. Came on strong as a recruit his junior and senior years on Long Island but then missed the fall of his freshmen year at JHU and never cracked the lineup after that. An intriguing talent in theory but at this point in his career not much more than that IMO.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I'm sorry when was he named the 12th best freshman in the nation in 2019? Did I slip into a coma and not notice? What the hell is that paragraph talking about. IIRC he didn't even touch the field in 2019.

EDIT: Ah these were ILs nonsense preseason projections from fall of 2018... there was no "naming" done, that implies some sort of achievement. Guessing on the other hand.
Last edited by Catbird on Thu May 28, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 pm I'm sorry when was he named the 12th best freshman in the nation in 2019? Did I slip into a coma and not notice? What the hell is that paragraph talking about. IIRC he didn't even touch the field in 2019.
12th ranked incoming freshman defenseman in that year's class—based on high school play
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

if he does transfer to Loyola, its a move i really dont understand. Sure he might get more playing time and can fit into the schemes but he would be giving up a Johns Hopkins degree.... a degree that opens many doors in many different fields
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:56 pm if he does transfer to Loyola, its a move i really dont understand. Sure he might get more playing time and can fit into the schemes but he would be giving up a Johns Hopkins degree.... a degree that opens many doors in many different fields
Did he enter the portal before or after the new staff? Is it possible the new staff is giving some guys their walking papers?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:22 pm Did he enter the portal before or after the new staff? Is it possible the new staff is giving some guys their walking papers?
After. And the answer to that question is yes, it's definitely possible.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:23 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:22 pm Did he enter the portal before or after the new staff? Is it possible the new staff is giving some guys their walking papers?
After. And the answer to that question is yes, it's definitely possible.
It crossed my mind and I would say better it goes on now than in the fall.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”