Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jrn19 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:02 am Of minor importance and interest but since it was tangentially brought up about Homecoming - I wonder what they will do about schedules if there is a '21 season. Since the big portion of the schedule was never played do they keep it as is? What about out of conference that were played and were not played? Will Hop still go to Delaware? Navy? Jays better pack some extra undies if they have to go to Towson/UNC/Syracuse/Delaware/Navy.

It's no accident that all 3 transfers are on the defensive side. Colwell - if he returns - and Reinson are your only experienced players. Unfortunately their stats are not eye popping - 12 gbs 4 CTOs for Colwell in 6 games - 8 gbs and 3 CTOs for Reinson your #1 LSM.
Darby's statistics are well documented here.

Szuluk, BTW, is going to have to learn how to avoid "a night in the box" - 6 penalties - 4 personals.
I'm not sure about the OOC, but Tillman gave an interview the other week where he said that the B1G schedule for 2021 will remain the same as it was for 2020. So the home/road rotations won't revert back to what they were in 2019 for 2021; it'll be based on what this year's would have been.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Drcthru wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:58 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 am Here:

https://www.howtopronounce.com/szuluk
Was that so hard that you had to research it?
Well, I didn’t want to be nasty and say, here, let me google that for you.

https://www.howtopronounce.com/wombat
AustinDangerPowers

Post by AustinDangerPowers »

Given what we know, how are we feeling about the state of the 2021 team and what do you think the predictions are for starting line up? I’m gonna take a whack at a line up here. Gonna be very hard to say with a brand new coaching staff/philosophy coming in, but let’s have some fun shall we?

A: Epstein, Williams, Murphy (Grimes)

- Murphy made the most of his chances to shine last season, finishing with 13 points which was good for second on the team. Really liked his game, but part of me thinks that Grimes will mesh better with Epstein and Williams. Hard to say since he’s an incoming freshman, but he really was impressive at BL. Reminds me a bit of Wisnaukas from UMD. Overall it’s a very solid unit and a healthy Epstein is a massive difference maker.

M: Zinn, DeSimmone, Degnon

- I’d really like to see DeSimmone break out this year. Assuming that Zinn draws the pole with his speed and size, DeSimmone should have some favorable match ups and will hopefully be able to exploit them. Degnon certainly brings some range to this unit. Really isn’t an alpha male that strikes fear into defenses and draw quick slides, though.

FO/LSM: Prouty, Fernandez

- Prouty is a really solid FO guy, great to have him back. Fernandez is an extremely nice addition to the team and I believe that he has three years of eligibility. Probably the best LSM since Pellegrino.

D: Colwell, Szuluk, Smith (FR)

- Szuluk certainly helps bolster this lackluster group. He was TX no. 6 underclass transfer and he’s definitely battle tested as Lafayette played an extremely tough schedule. I’d like to see Smith get inserted into the line up immediately. Hopkins needs another great close defenseman, and Smith could be that guy based off what I’ve seen from him during his HS career. Petros last gift to the team was the 2020 recruiting class with three five star recruits.

G: Kirson

- Kirson finished last season at 58% and seemed to expel his issues with inconsistency. Looked solid all year and comes in with two years of eligibility left, should be the starter next year considering that he’s also got a ton of familiarity with B10 opponents. Feel sorry for Darby/Giacalone but unfortunately that’s the nature of the position and an overall 45% save percentage last year simply isn’t going to cut it at Homewood or any high level D1 program.

This is a way too early prediction and there’s so much that can change...need to keep myself occupied while Baltimore City is still shut down!! Thoughts?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

AustinDangerPowers wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:42 pm Given what we know, how are we feeling about the state of the 2021 team and what do you think the predictions are for starting line up? I’m gonna take a whack at a line up here. Gonna be very hard to say with a brand new coaching staff/philosophy coming in, but let’s have some fun shall we?
I think there is reason for cautious optimism but there is still so much uncertainty—the range of outcomes is vast. I could see this team getting back to the top 10 rather quickly, and I could also see another year missing the tournament where they look more like the 2-4 squad that was mercifully put out of its misery in March.

Broadly, you don't have to be a DocB optimist to expect some level of defensive improvement with Koesterer in the fold, the three transfers including a proven 50%+ goalie, Smith on his way in, and just generally having a more experienced group. Plus, it's hard to get much worse than the 2020 unit—though I recall saying something quite similar after the 2019 season and lo and behold the unit somehow did indeed get worse. Still, there are some big, fast, athletic dudes on the defensive end, with a serviceable goalie now in the mix it wouldn't be shocking if Koesterer gets something that resembles acceptable out of those guys. A slightly more efficient offense and a few more possessions per game at the X would go a long way to helping the D.

The offense is where the true promise lies IMO but there might be just as many unknowns. JGJR's early returns at Air Force were promising but to this point he is still mostly a legendary player while his coaching acumen is to be determined. I think the kids will like playing for him—and his name/personality should be an asset on the recruiting trail—but from an X's and O's standpoint I have no idea what to expect. I am very curious to see if Milliman tries to run an offense like he ran at Cornell or if he hands the reins over to Junior who might try to bring in some Canadian-influenced box concepts...either way it should be fun to see play out.

Epstein of course will quarterback if/when healthy but I'm not sure you can project a whole lot else until you solve the Grimes/Williams conundrum. I think it's unlikely that they both start on attack. So depending on which one plays out of the box in 2021, everything else trickles down from there. There are 15+ guys I could see making an impact but the nature of the game is that only 9-10 will get much playing time and of those 9-10, only about 6-8 will be what you'd call significant contributors. However they're deployed, my guess would be that Epstein, Williams, Murphy, Grimes, McDermott, Zinn, Degnon, find themselves on the field a lot, hopefully there is still room for Angelus and the gluttony of other incoming freshmen (Bauer, Chauvette, Raposo, etc.) to somehow get in the mix.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I think Hopkins will beat Mount St. Mary’s in regulation.
AustinDangerPowers

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:07 pm I think Hopkins will beat Mount St. Mary’s in regulation.
For my health I certainly hope so.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'm not quoting the entire post
Tier 1-reliable veterans
epstein/prouty/narewski-end of list
Tier 2-reliable backups/new kids the coach wanted
keough/baskin/transfers in although the osu kid played in front of much better teams than we have next year
tier 3-recruits/unproven sophs
all unproven at the d1 level, not brought in by current staff and so hard to truly know if they can/will be counted on. Top of list degnon/murphy/angelus/jaronski/glassmeyer/hawley/smith/grimes/mcdermott
Tier 4 inconsistent veterans w/upside
williams/zinn
Tier 5 -inconsistent veterans who got the coach fired last year and are trying out for their jobs/cant be counted on
deso/darby/anyone who played ssdm last year or lsm for us/mabett/lyne/mcmanus/shure/calnan/colwell
Tier 6-guys who haven't played much and might not make it past the summer
gainey, marcille, heverly, dipietro, schreiber, handsor, keneally, burnett, uphoff brunner
AustinDangerPowers

jhu06 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:31 pm I'm not quoting the entire post
Tier 1-reliable veterans
epstein/prouty/narewski-end of list
Tier 2-reliable backups/new kids the coach wanted
keough/baskin/transfers in although the osu kid played in front of much better teams than we have next year
tier 3-recruits/unproven sophs
all unproven at the d1 level, not brought in by current staff and so hard to truly know if they can/will be counted on. Top of list degnon/murphy/angelus/jaronski/glassmeyer/hawley/smith/grimes/mcdermott
Tier 4 inconsistent veterans w/upside
williams/zinn
Tier 5 -inconsistent veterans who got the coach fired last year and are trying out for their jobs/cant be counted on
deso/darby/anyone who played ssdm last year or lsm for us/mabett/lyne/mcmanus/shure/calnan/colwell
Tier 6-guys who haven't played much and might not make it past the summer
gainey, marcille, heverly, dipietro, schreiber, handsor, keneally, burnett, uphoff brunner
Tough but fair.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:31 pm tier 3-recruits/unproven sophs
Sample size was small but pretty sure Degnon, Murphy, and Angelus at least have "proven" they can can play at this level. Degnon scored in every game this year despite mostly running with the 2nd mids. Murphy had 6 goals against two of our best opponents and then an OT winner in a game in which he scored 4 pts...it's too early to pencil them in as All-American type players but six games is enough to get a sense of whether or not they are going to be contributors—especially when the competition was what it was.
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:31 pm Tier 5 -inconsistent veterans who got the coach fired last year and are trying out for their jobs/cant be counted on
Mabbett, Shure, and Calnan hardly played, or didn't play at all. Not sure how they could have possibly be considered "inconsistent veterans who got the coach fired."

Here's a thought: The coach got the coach fired.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:32 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:31 pm tier 3-recruits/unproven sophs
Sample size was small but pretty sure Degnon, Murphy, and Angelus at least have "proven" they can can play at this level. Degnon scored in every game this year despite mostly running with the 2nd mids. Murphy had 6 goals against two of our best opponents and then an OT winner in a game in which he scored 4 pts...it's too early to pencil them in as All-American type players but six games is enough to get a sense of whether or not they are going to be contributors—especially when the competition was what it was.
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:31 pm Tier 5 -inconsistent veterans who got the coach fired last year and are trying out for their jobs/cant be counted on
Mabbett, Shure, and Calnan hardly played, or didn't play at all. Not sure how they could have possibly be considered "inconsistent veterans who got the coach fired."

Here's a thought: The coach got the coach fired.
+1 ;)
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

There may be hope for fall ball. According to Wash. Post: “Two-thirds of the more than 700 colleges surveyed by the Chronicle of Higher Education have now come to the same conclusion and will reopen with in-person instruction in the fall.)”

At Purdue: “Instead, we have spent every waking minute of the past eight weeks planning changes to almost everything we do — how we house and feed students and preserve the value of the tutelage and mentoring by faculty and advisers, while maintaining a safe physical distance between the two groups. A panel of scientists and clinicians is guiding our choices.

We will make our campus less dense in multiple ways. At least one-third of our staff will be required to work remotely. Our technologists have applied what they’ve learned about social distancing to redesign 700 classrooms and labs, and 9,500 dormitory rooms, all of which will be reconfigured with lower occupancy limits. All large-enrollment courses will be offered online as well as in person, to accommodate those who cannot or choose not to come to campus, and to further reduce in-class numbers.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:59 pm There may be hope for fall ball. According to Wash. Post: “Two-thirds of the more than 700 colleges surveyed by the Chronicle of Higher Education have now come to the same conclusion and will reopen with in-person instruction in the fall.)”

At Purdue: “Instead, we have spent every waking minute of the past eight weeks planning changes to almost everything we do — how we house and feed students and preserve the value of the tutelage and mentoring by faculty and advisers, while maintaining a safe physical distance between the two groups. A panel of scientists and clinicians is guiding our choices.

We will make our campus less dense in multiple ways. At least one-third of our staff will be required to work remotely. Our technologists have applied what they’ve learned about social distancing to redesign 700 classrooms and labs, and 9,500 dormitory rooms, all of which will be reconfigured with lower occupancy limits. All large-enrollment courses will be offered online as well as in person, to accommodate those who cannot or choose not to come to campus, and to further reduce in-class numbers.”

How do locker rooms work? That's as close quarters as it gets.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Stagger usage, at least in the fall.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

This all depends on how big the waves are across the summer from the easing of restrictions, how people actually behave etc and the resulting virus spread.

If small, schools will gamble. If the outbreaks are larger than anticipated, then all bets are off.

That's why Hopkins has multiple scenarios being planned.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Johns Hopkins has the biggest and best public health school in the world. If any school has the resources to re-open safely in the Fall, it’s Hopkins.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:05 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:59 pm There may be hope for fall ball. According to Wash. Post: “Two-thirds of the more than 700 colleges surveyed by the Chronicle of Higher Education have now come to the same conclusion and will reopen with in-person instruction in the fall.)”

How do locker rooms work? That's as close quarters as it gets.
When I went to school, we had a garden hose out back. We considered it character-building! :mrgreen:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Just dip everyone daily into Leopold hand sanitizer.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Ty Xanders just reported that the #86 overall recruit in the 2021 class Matthew Constantinides just decommited from Hopkins and committed to Towson today.

He's a FO guy and ranked #86 in the power 100. Is this a big loss or not really
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

From Xanders:

“Former Johns Hopkins defenseman Michael Gomez entered the NCAA's transfer portal earlier today, per a source. An Under Armour All-American and No. 47 recruit in 2018, the Half Hollow Hills East (N.Y.) grad isn't listed on the Jays' 2021 roster.”
HopDad2024

Post by HopDad2024 »

I don’t know why you would want to give up a JHU degree for a Towson degree. As a 2021 you have a chance to play for great coaches and arguably on of the best Faceoff/defense coaches in college lacrosse. Was the raising of the academic standard enough to scare people away.
I know that the bar has been raised and without knowing for sure maybe some of these 2021 commits have decided that it might be too high for them. In my mind not a big loss because PM and JK will look at getting their own 2021 recruits in once they learn who they have on their team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”