Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:23 pm Can we let Grimes find his way before we anoint him the real deal? He certainly looks the part playing HS but this isn’t the MIAA. For those that were paying attention they will know Epstein struggled the entire fall his first year and while he found his way it certainly is a big jump.
I get what you're saying though I'm not sure that the phrase "the real deal" is all that far off from acknowledging he "looks the part." In any case he very much IS the real deal right now—and while there are certainly no guarantees and we've seen our fair share of disappointments, if you're the real deal in the MIAA then you've got a pretty good shot at being the real deal in college. He was absolutely *dominating* this season before Covid-19 happened. I didn't see much of the U19 scrimmages/practices but according to those that did, he was arguably the best offensive player on a team that included Brennan O'Neill. Personally I think he's going to be a stellar college player and it probably won't hurt having another big lefty legend as your OC/mentor. The kid has the size and athleticism of Cole Williams but is a significantly better shooter and more polished overall player at this stage. Some prospects are just no brainers—Epstein was one, Grimes is another.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:22 pm
I get what you're saying though I'm not sure that the phrase "the real deal" is all that far off from acknowledging he "looks the part." In any case he very much IS the real deal right now—and while there are certainly no guarantees and we've seen our fair share of disappointments, if you're the real deal in the MIAA then you've got a pretty good shot at being the real deal in college. He was absolutely *dominating* this season before Covid-19 happened. I didn't see much of the U19 scrimmages/practices but according to those that did, he was arguably the best offensive player on a team that included Brennan O'Neill. Personally I think he's going to be a stellar college player and it probably won't hurt having another big lefty legend as your OC/mentor. The kid has the size and athleticism of Cole Williams but is a significantly better shooter and more polished overall player at this stage. Some prospects are just no brainers—Epstein was one, Grimes is another.
[/quote]

That’s actually exactly why I want to pump the brakes a bit. I heard the same stuff about Cole and while a very good player he’s not near the hype that he had coming in and coming off the UA game.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

its a better situation for him and the recruits coming in if the coach decides they fit the program. The expectations will be low next spring, it'll be a long term focus, and they won't be burdened with the drama of this season/offseason. Grimes and the rest of the offensive players will presumably benefit from having guys like keough, baskin, epstein, williams to help stabilize that unit. I know colwell was a captain but that was a terrible unit and the smiths etc coming in over there are going to have to find more leadership.

quint has a piece up on what covid has cost programs and what damage it might do. From our perspective it probably gave milliman an extra month-6 weeks to get started if you assume he wouldn't have been hired until late may, we don't have football $ to worry about or denver type travel costs, I doubt our rivals will get cut, but it might hurt if we don't have a fallball and if they move fall sports to the spring there isn't aren't a lot of fields for all the sports.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:43 pm
I was wondering what Joe's issue is with folks actually participating in casual conversation on a lacrosse thread, mostly pretty non controversial, so I looked back across some past posts...quite the axe grinding.
Clearly still salty about Mabbett’s playing time
Never. No AXe, no Mabbett, no other players. Remember, much talent was here, dopey Bobby just couldn’t get it together.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 pm it might hurt if we don't have a fallball and if they move fall sports to the spring there isn't aren't a lot of fields for all the sports.
This is where lacrosse being the predominant sport on campus comes in handy. If there's a gameday conflict with football, which team do we think gets to stay on Homewood, and which has to go find a vacant field somewhere off campus? Hint: the team that stays is the one with the ESPN contract and a $10 million facility overlooking one end of the field.

There might also be a lot more midweek/Friday/Sunday games or Saturday morning/night games next season if football is pushed into the spring. While it sounds like a major logistical challenge I don't think it'd be the nightmare some apparently believe it to be. Most schools will find a way to make it work—and the ones with lacrosse-only stadiums may not be impacted all that much.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I agree with you about Grimes. He has the size, athleticism, and skills to contribute right away. He's a spectacular lefty sniper. I wouldn't take him off the field next year. He'd be a super complement to Epstein in transition and on EMO. If I had to move one of the lefty's to midfield, I would move Cole there.

I was also impressed looking at McDermott's tapes. He's really got a complete skill set. He's not the biggest guy but he can shoot, pass, and ride. He's a very good creator and sees the field extremely well. Maybe we won't see it next spring, but an attack of Epstein, Grimes, and McDermott would be hard to stop. Three five-star players with complementary skill sets.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:38 pm
That’s actually exactly why I want to pump the brakes a bit. I heard the same stuff about Cole and while a very good player he’s not near the hype that he had coming in and coming off the UA game.
[/quote]

Since I was the one who said about Grimes that he's the real deal, let me just say that's my opinion. I hope that's understood as not a 'fact', just an opinion. Based on observation. BTW, I'd have a similar projection for young Petro coming up. These guys have all the necessary tools and they appear to my eye to have the game sense and hunger factors.

I did not say the same about Cole Williams, though certainly I think that somehow his full potential was not realized at Hopkins, whether that was on him individually or the staff/system, or both.

Any particular player may or may not meet their full potential. Most often that's about various injuries. In some cases it's other mental/emotional issues, which can be entirely the youngster or it could be how they are managed/coached.

Re MIAA, being one of the top players coming out of that league does not guarantee being one of the top players in college, but it's a pretty darn good bet that the player will be a significant contributor at the top level, if they stay healthy. For instance, three attack men came out of Calvert Hall in 2012. the most touted was Patrick Kelly...I thought he was a very nice player and would contribute at a high level, but I wasn't sure whether his physicality would take him beyond being a solid, slick contributor. He did, at UNC, but not with the same degree of acclaim as in HS. Likewise I thought Carter Brown would contribute significantly and he did at Ohio State. And the guy who I really liked was the least acclaimed, but I thought he was 'the real deal' from the exposures I had to him. And indeed, he developed quite nicely, better and better and better. Ryan Brown.

But if the standard is Tewey level performance, that's not really predictable. There's a lot of physical and emotional development to get to that level.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:02 am There might also be a lot more midweek/Friday/Sunday games or Saturday morning/night games next season if football is pushed into the spring. While it sounds like a major logistical challenge I don't think it'd be the nightmare some apparently believe it to be. Most schools will find a way to make it work—and the ones with lacrosse-only stadiums may not be impacted all that much.
Penn State has a lacrosse-only facility, but it shares parking with the school's 110,000+ capacity football stadium that sells out for every PSU home game. Most hotels in the area sell out for football weekends, the town / university completely gives itself over to football; those football weekends, there would be no room for lacrosse. I've never been to Ann Arbor, Michigan, but I imagine it is much the same. The Big 10 is a football conference, with Hop (and conference latecomers Maryland and Rutgers) being an exception that proves the rule.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If you were looking at the roster the day milliman was hired and said what do we need right now to win more games in 2021
assistant w/hop ties-not essential but jameson was a hit
goalie-he added a good one
defenseman-he added one
lsm-he added a good one
ssdm-needed badly-who?
midfielder-needed-who?

what else are we missing
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:16 pm If you were looking at the roster the day milliman was hired and said what do we need right now to win more games in 2021
defenseman-he added one
lsm-he added a good one
ssdm-needed badly-who?
midfielder-needed-who?

what else are we missing
With a new staff making decisions, it is possible we are not missing anything. With ssdm who knows what Koesterer will see - Jaronski and McManus are skilled players who have played ssdm before and are already on the roster. Isn't it possible the answers are already there?
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:25 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:16 pm If you were looking at the roster the day milliman was hired and said what do we need right now to win more games in 2021
defenseman-he added one
lsm-he added a good one
ssdm-needed badly-who?
midfielder-needed-who?

what else are we missing
With a new staff making decisions, it is possible we are not missing anything. With ssdm who knows what Koesterer will see - Jaronski and McManus are skilled players who have played ssdm before and are already on the roster. Isn't it possible the answers are already there?
I agree. With the impressive new class coming in and the free-agent signings this offseason, there may not be any major missing parts on this team. If the new coaching staff lives up to their reputations, I think Hopkins can compete with anyone.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:25 am
Hopfan wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 am Word about Hopkins getting another portal transfer: D Beaudan Szuluk from Lafayette, 6'2", 210, from Avon Old Farms with 4 yrs of eligibility. Here is IL's writeup on him:
So impressed by his toughness on-ball when he was guarding Casey McDermott (Johns Hopkins), whose overriding attribute is toughness, as well. Szuluk is tall and can maintain power with his arms extended, so he's really difficult to run through and around.

A lockdown on-ball guy who sought out the toughest matchup on opposing teams while playing alongside Under Armour All-American Cameron Henry, he's got the look of a player who can help coach Pat Myers move the program forward.
Wow. He would be a great get by Coach Milliman. Would improve depth on defense. For what it’s worth, he’s IL’s #6 underclassman on the transfer portal.

DocBarrister :)
Any confirmation on Szuluk? Don’t want to learn how to spell his name if not confirmed. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:49 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:25 am
Hopfan wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 am Word about Hopkins getting another portal transfer: D Beaudan Szuluk from Lafayette, 6'2", 210, from Avon Old Farms with 4 yrs of eligibility. Here is IL's writeup on him:
So impressed by his toughness on-ball when he was guarding Casey McDermott (Johns Hopkins), whose overriding attribute is toughness, as well. Szuluk is tall and can maintain power with his arms extended, so he's really difficult to run through and around.

A lockdown on-ball guy who sought out the toughest matchup on opposing teams while playing alongside Under Armour All-American Cameron Henry, he's got the look of a player who can help coach Pat Myers move the program forward.
Wow. He would be a great get by Coach Milliman. Would improve depth on defense. For what it’s worth, he’s IL’s #6 underclassman on the transfer portal.

DocBarrister :)
Any confirmation on Szuluk? Don’t want to learn how to spell his name if not confirmed. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
I believe like Kirson they are waiting on admissions
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a Xanders, IL, Jast or other tweet on Szuluk. Only what's been in this forum. I hope there's something else out there that I've missed, but I'm not buying this one yet.
a fan

Post by a fan »

defenseman-he added one
lsm-he added a good one
ssdm-needed badly-who?
midfielder-needed-who?

what else are we missing
Curious fans want to know if this means that Hop fans have finally realized that Petro didn't have the talent needed to win?

....otherwise, why would Milliman accept so many transfers?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Those transfers would not happen if the sclerotic PetroDwanBenson regime were still in place.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Have no way of knowing that. Yet still, that doesn't negate my point...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:07 pm Curious fans want to know if this means that Hop fans have finally realized that Petro didn't have the talent needed to win?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know we needed a goalie. And Fernandez could play for any team in the country—plenty of other schools wanted him. Szuluk if true would be the most intriguing one IMO but maybe Milliman is just looking at the stats—the defense finished #61 in goal allowed, it might not be the worst idea to bring in another guy to compete on that unit. I still don't know if he'd end up starting but I suppose we'll see.

I think whether or not he takes a midfield transfer would say a lot. If he doesn't despite ample opportunity to do so then I think that's a vote of confidence in this guys from a talent perspective. If he does take a few in then maybe yeah, I guess that'd mean he doesn't think he can win with this midfield.

Why is Maryland bringing in so many transfers? Pretty sure they had the talent already. Syracuse added two defensemen already, one from D3. Duke, ND, OSU, PSU, everyone is adding transfers because the opportunity is there.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

There are many factors to the talent at Hopkins and ability to attract it, some of which could be very limiting.

For example, take the financial factors. Chris Watson, who was a young trustee for awhile upon graduation, described the curve as a barbell shape - Hopkins can get those players at both ends: those who qualify for a lot of financial aid and those whose parents are so wealthy, they can come to Hopkins without any aid. In between - those are the kids that are hard to land.

Now, consider one other huge factor: of the broad spectrum of players, many would not consider Hopkins at all for one major reason: they didn’t want to be coached by Pietramala. That’s the cold, hard truth. There’s a flip side to that - many parents sent their kids to Hopkins because they knew Coach would turn them into men.

Did Hopkins draw better talent with Pietramala than they will now under different leadership?

We will find out.

How will recruiting go? Will Hopkins now attract even more talent than they did before?

I’ll refer back to an alumni donor event that I attended in 2006, when I asked Coach Pietramala if recruiting had gotten an easier after the win in 2005.

His response:

“When you win, you win.”

The same will hold true for his successors. And maybe even moreso with the Bloomberg gift combined with the thankful demise of ER. Hopkins also sells itself to a degree based on tradition alone.

These factors are all intertwined, so, if Hopkins suddenly starts winning, you can’t completely say that’s due to the coaching change. Teasing out one major factor from another looks nigh impossible - not to mention some are partially correlated.

And if Hopkins starts winning, you of course will hear that they are winning with Coach Pietramala’s recruits. That’s fine and a natural thing to say - and not necessarily a criticism.

All you can hope for is the best. For everyone. I’m hoping for better seasons ahead. I’m hoping the players have fun and enjoyable seasons.

And, first and foremost on my mind since the change, I hope Coach Pietramala, Dwan and Benson land somewhere doing something they enjoy and find challenging soon.

And I hope we all overcome this COVID mess and move on to better days ahead.

May you all have a respectful and healthy Memorial Day weekend.

Wombat
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:04 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:07 pm Curious fans want to know if this means that Hop fans have finally realized that Petro didn't have the talent needed to win?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know we needed a goalie.
Great. There it is. Thanks.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”