Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Cooter »

AreaLax wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:29 am
Cooter wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 am I don't see what leads you to conclude that:
One guy had already been a five-year guy.
is Shollenberger and not Welding?
It could be Welding. I was just guessing
I guess Shollenberger would be an established red-shirt player, while Welding might have red-shirted this Spring.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

He was referring to Bernhardt. Given what's going on with the uncertainty around football in the fall at all levels of competition, things could change.

One unanswered question with all of this, and it includes guys like Aiken and Giles-Harris who also want to play football, is will the NCAA allow a semester waiver? That's a total unknown but there hasn't been any NCAA guidance on it, either.

If you're a betting person, obviously you wouldn't bet on on the NCAA allowing 1-semester waivers; but who knows how the pandemic will change everything. TBH, it seems if you get a good lawyer, the NCAA will yield (see Shea Patterson and even what the Tagovailoa's are doing to get Taulia an immediate transfer waiver to play football for the Terps in the fall).
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Maybe Bernhardt could follow Dox Aitken's plan, and return to Maryland in the Spring for lacrosse.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Cooter wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm Maybe Bernhardt could follow Dox Aitken's plan, and return to Maryland in the Spring for lacrosse.
Will keep my fingers crossed

Bubba 2nd qtr interview with Carc
https://twitter.com/paulcarcaterra/stat ... 75108?s=21
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Check this out...

https://www.cbs19news.com/story/4214380 ... -next-year

Tiffany said Monday that a little-known NCAA recruiting statute allows athletes who have completed a four-year degree at one school to attend grad school elsewhere, then return to the original undergraduate institution and still compete.

"I don't know why it's in there, but it's in there. None of us knew it was in there, and we assumed it wasn't in there," Tiffany said. "We were assuming we'd have to apply for a waiver, but one of our compliance officers found it."

That statute would allow Aitken to play football for the Wildcats, then return to UVA to play the fifth season of lacrosse he was granted when the NCAA canceled spring sports. Tiffany said the only potential complication with that plan would be if the college football season gets delayed into next spring.

"We're really hopeful that works out," Tiffany said.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:54 pm Check this out...

https://www.cbs19news.com/story/4214380 ... -next-year

Tiffany said Monday that a little-known NCAA recruiting statute allows athletes who have completed a four-year degree at one school to attend grad school elsewhere, then return to the original undergraduate institution and still compete.

"I don't know why it's in there, but it's in there. None of us knew it was in there, and we assumed it wasn't in there," Tiffany said. "We were assuming we'd have to apply for a waiver, but one of our compliance officers found it."

That statute would allow Aitken to play football for the Wildcats, then return to UVA to play the fifth season of lacrosse he was granted when the NCAA canceled spring sports. Tiffany said the only potential complication with that plan would be if the college football season gets delayed into next spring.

"We're really hopeful that works out," Tiffany said.
Lol that’s absolutely ridiculous. The NCAA still hasn’t let players in some sports transfer without penalty for a year but can allow someone to play two sports at two different schools in the same academic year. Wild.

Hope Tillman and Jared are looking at it!
terp talk

Re: Maryland 2020--Baernhardt

Post by terp talk »

COACH TILLMAN IS ON TERP TALK AT 640PM

WE discuss that the window is far from closed on Jared returning to Maryland next year. If you missit, I will have it up on terptalk.com ASAP.
Very interesting interview as always w Tils.
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2020--Baernhardt

Post by AreaLax »

terp talk wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:38 pm COACH TILLMAN IS ON TERP TALK AT 640PM

WE discuss that the window is far from closed on Jared returning to Maryland next year. If you missit, I will have it up on terptalk.com ASAP.
Very interesting interview as always w Tils.
Tills said Big Ten schedule will be the same this year. Sounded like we maybe playing home against UVA and away for UNC.

Sounds like Tills and Jared have been aware of the waiver and it just depends on college football and then if Jared applies for the waiver
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Trying not to get my hopes up, but fingers crossed! Having Jared back would be crazy, would make this the most talented offense the Terps have had in my time as a fan at least. Even w/o him it’ll be up there.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Remember that the waiver still needs to be granted by the NCAA
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:35 pm Trying not to get my hopes up, but fingers crossed! Having Jared back would be crazy, would make this the most talented offense the Terps have had in my time as a fan at least. Even w/o him it’ll be up there.
Interesting observation. I think 2016 was the best, once they started clicking after the Notre Dame debacle in California. Any team with Pat Young on the 2nd line is pretty loaded. Rambo, Heacock, Cole, Kelly, Rotanz, Young, Maltz & West is an awesome lineup.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I am interested and excited to see both Brown and Holden next season at MD. May always have a upstate NY is tougher than MidAtlantic kids anchor acknowledging Cottle got plenty of greats dudes from the Roch area among other parts of CNY/WNY and also that Holden is from Lincoln Sudbury which I happen to know isn’t Orange NY culturally so maybe it’s still true but...

I think Brown will be better than the average UND expectation for him and that Holden is going to convert you into really big fans and put up a season that has him potentially as a 2nd AA Middie in a finals or better season. No joke, I’m fine with all repercussions if he’s no more significant than a nice numbers, 2nd midfielder who has a moment game or two in a very good but maybe unsatisfying season overall. With any kind of fall orientations, even if compressed,I really believe he will benefit from all Mds talent and get 40+ goals and 10-25assits for you guys.

Let’s just hope we accelerate progress back towards general normal life and I am proved wrong or proud to have opened the lax worlds eyes to how talented this kid is. Possible he could’ve gotten most of it in a full 2020 if Hobart had played to its ability in 2020, but with the major program view in DC/MD on what is probably going to be a FF team and could easily win a title, though I’m in on Duke with Sowers surrounded by dukes talent, a top 20% fogo (sake school that Cuse raped Ben Williams from), a solid goalie in Adler, maybe something very meaningful from ONeill plus all the returning guys and everything else that I would be betting on Duke right now but not shocked if it was MD.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

AreaLax wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm Maybe Bernhardt could follow Dox Aitken's plan, and return to Maryland in the Spring for lacrosse.

88 points in 41 games total (2pts a game ) . Shooting 17% this year w 11 points
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:47 pm
AreaLax wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 pm

88 points in 41 games total (2pts a game ) . Shooting 17% this year w 11 points
Still wonder if he was playing with an injury in the last couple of games. He had 3 scoreless games in his first two years and then had two back to back at the end of this year. Shooting % literally was half of what it was coming into this year (35% in 2018-19.) They did give him a lot more responsibility - he played wing on face-off at times, did some defensive midfield work - but he just did not look anything like himself, and that was after a really strong start to the year.

I expect he'll be back to his best next year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:49 am
jrn19 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:35 pm Trying not to get my hopes up, but fingers crossed! Having Jared back would be crazy, would make this the most talented offense the Terps have had in my time as a fan at least. Even w/o him it’ll be up there.
Interesting observation. I think 2016 was the best, once they started clicking after the Notre Dame debacle in California. Any team with Pat Young on the 2nd line is pretty loaded. Rambo, Heacock, Cole, Kelly, Rotanz, Young, Maltz & West is an awesome lineup.
2016 is currently the best for sure. Next year's with Wisnauskas, Holden, DeMaio, Brown, Fairman, Maltz is a superior Top 6 to 2016 imo; if you add in Jared to that I don't even think there's a question. And then you have Brennan, Long, and perhaps one of the incoming freshmen on a 2nd midfield line, those are both guys who have started before and looked good doing it. The depth and options will be crazy, w/Jared or w/o
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:29 pm I am interested and excited to see both Brown and Holden next season at MD. May always have a upstate NY is tougher than MidAtlantic kids anchor acknowledging Cottle got plenty of greats dudes from the Roch area among other parts of CNY/WNY and also that Holden is from Lincoln Sudbury which I happen to know isn’t Orange NY culturally so maybe it’s still true but...

I think Brown will be better than the average UND expectation for him and that Holden is going to convert you into really big fans and put up a season that has him potentially as a 2nd AA Middie in a finals or better season. No joke, I’m fine with all repercussions if he’s no more significant than a nice numbers, 2nd midfielder who has a moment game or two in a very good but maybe unsatisfying season overall. With any kind of fall orientations, even if compressed,I really believe he will benefit from all Mds talent and get 40+ goals and 10-25assits for you guys.

Let’s just hope we accelerate progress back towards general normal life and I am proved wrong or proud to have opened the lax worlds eyes to how talented this kid is. Possible he could’ve gotten most of it in a full 2020 if Hobart had played to its ability in 2020, but with the major program view in DC/MD on what is probably going to be a FF team and could easily win a title, though I’m in on Duke with Sowers surrounded by dukes talent, a top 20% fogo (sake school that Cuse raped Ben Williams from), a solid goalie in Adler, maybe something very meaningful from ONeill plus all the returning guys and everything else that I would be betting on Duke right now but not shocked if it was MD.
I, too, think we'll see Holden playing up top, but I've beaten that drum long enough. His shooting from up top will be a difference, and his ability to invert or play against a pole makes him a threat anywhere. I watched those Hobart-Cuse games the past couple of years. If people think Holden can't compete against elite competition, watch any of those games. He's also got a physical edge to his game. He's going to fit well in College Park.

Duke is just going to be something else next season. Their defense is their only question. I swear, if they lose a game or two in the early season to another inferior opponent, I'm gonna lose it when I hear "oh, this is what they do...Dano always gets them better later in the year." They're gonna have the best talent in the nation!

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:26 pm Still wonder if he was playing with an injury in the last couple of games. He had 3 scoreless games in his first two years and then had two back to back at the end of this year. Shooting % literally was half of what it was coming into this year (35% in 2018-19.) They did give him a lot more responsibility - he played wing on face-off at times, did some defensive midfield work - but he just did not look anything like himself, and that was after a really strong start to the year.

I don't think I heard or saw anything about him being injured. He took a great deal of pride in being named a captain, and he really took on a mentor role for the younger kids. Really embraced that. I think he was learning how and when to assert himself. His passing has really improved. Agree about his shooting. His placement was off. A lot of stick-to-stick shots. I have a feeling he's going to have a great season in '21.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:29 pm I am interested and excited to see both Brown and Holden next season at MD. May always have a upstate NY is tougher than MidAtlantic kids anchor acknowledging Cottle got plenty of greats dudes from the Roch area among other parts of CNY/WNY and also that Holden is from Lincoln Sudbury which I happen to know isn’t Orange NY culturally so maybe it’s still true but...

I, too, think we'll see Holden playing up top, but I've beaten that drum long enough. His shooting from up top will be a difference, and his ability to invert or play against a pole makes him a threat anywhere. I watched those Hobart-Cuse games the past couple of years. If people think Holden can't compete against elite competition, watch any of those games. He's also got a physical edge to his game. He's going to fit well in College Park.

Duke is just going to be something else next season. Their defense is their only question. I swear, if they lose a game or two in the early season to another inferior opponent, I'm gonna lose it when I hear "oh, this is what they do...Dano always gets them better later in the year." They're gonna have the best talent in the nation!

jrn19 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:26 pm Still wonder if he was playing with an injury in the last couple of games. He had 3 scoreless games in his first two years and then had two back to back at the end of this year. Shooting % literally was half of what it was coming into this year (35% in 2018-19.) They did give him a lot more responsibility - he played wing on face-off at times, did some defensive midfield work - but he just did not look anything like himself, and that was after a really strong start to the year.

I don't think I heard or saw anything about him being injured. He took a great deal of pride in being named a captain, and he really took on a mentor role for the younger kids. Really embraced that. I think he was learning how and when to assert himself. His passing has really improved. Agree about his shooting. His placement was off. A lot of stick-to-stick shots. I have a feeling he's going to have a great season in '21.
Nothing was said about it, but nothing ever really is. Lots of guys have injuries they play through without the season we never really hear about.

Doesn’t mean he was, but he was really below his usual level and it’s very unusual to see that from a player of his level.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

It is interesting that Tillman is downplaying the likelihood of the top freshmen playing. I wonder if he is more trying to prepare us for the possibility of their not playing, and sort guard them if it does happen.
Certainly it is true that they missed most of their senior season of high school ball, which is an important part of development. Still, it is not like they were injured. I think we can be sure that they have been training and working out. They have been playing lacrosse for years. Certainly, if there is no fall ball we might not expect them to start right off the bat in February, after only 3 weeks of practice, but what about March after 7 weeks of practice or April after 11.

Then there is the stuff about other teams returning a lot of 5th year seniors, both Wisnauskas and A.DeMaio are both red-shirt seniors, and Fairman did a PG year.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Cooter wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:59 pm It is interesting that Tillman is downplaying the likelihood of the top freshmen playing. I wonder if he is more trying to prepare us for the possibility of their not playing, and sort guard them if it does happen.
Certainly it is true that they missed most of their senior season of high school ball, which is an important part of development. Still, it is not like they were injured. I think we can be sure that they have been training and working out. They have been playing lacrosse for years. Certainly, if there is no fall ball we might not expect them to start right off the bat in February, after only 3 weeks of practice, but what about March after 7 weeks of practice or April after 11.

Then there is the stuff about other teams returning a lot of 5th year seniors, both Wisnauskas and A.DeMaio are both red-shirt seniors, and Fairman did a PG year.
Think he is being realistic. Going to college your first year is a big change under normal times. He not saying he won’t play them just don’t expect a lot of them to play. In the interview on TerpTalk a 3rd midfield was brought up and to play at a fast pace you need them. So he could go deeper and freshman could show there. Will be interesting to see how list players years next season

Monday starting at noon ESPNU will be re-airing several of the past championships. 2017 game will be on at 6, I believe

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”