All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet
Re: All things CoronaVirus
Report Quote
Post Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am

New Report on 138 Coronavirus Cases Reveals Disturbing Details

"A highly contagious patient, virus transmission inside a hospital and unexpected turns for the worse have emerged as part of the epidemic in China."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/heal ... &smtyp=cur

Also, first American citizen dies from the virus in China.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:02 pm Yeah, nobody knew any better....the bar is so low for this administration it’s ridiculous....you all have been Gaslit.

Kismet
Post Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:14 am

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31/co ... -response/

"Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response
As it improvises its way through a public health crisis, the United States has never been less prepared for a pandemic.

The epidemic control efforts unfolding today in China—including placing some 100 million citizens on lockdown, shutting down a national holiday, building enormous quarantine hospitals in days’ time, and ramping up 24-hour manufacturing of medical equipment—are indeed gargantuan. It’s impossible to watch them without wondering, “What would we do? How would my government respond if this virus spread across my country?”

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is

If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark."
“Gaslit” is a kind term for it. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Report Quote
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:31 am

Catbird wrote: ↑
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ken-cucc ... 29cf618d35

We're screwed.
Anyone with half a brain expects this BS from o d and his ilk. Knowledge is Bad.

How soon until there is a Sharpie to fix the Coronavirus map???
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet
Report Quote
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:44 pm

You aren't going to be making jokes if the worst-case scenarios somehow develops - firing scientists and researchers after calling them useless bureaucrats are exactly the folks you are going to need to rely upon to deal with such a potential crisis

...then again, you could listen to Limbaugh and declare it a new common cold virus and nefarious plot to get DOPUS...and you'll still be up sh*ts creek without a paddle when the real world becomes apparent.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72
Report Quote
Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:51 pm

The Chinese were unprepared. The Italians also seem to be unprepared. The South Korean effort seems to have been better, but they had warning, they heeded. We will see how prepared the US is. In our case there is no excuse really.

You people can keep making excuses for this clown administration.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

From Nobel Laureate, Paul Krugman, in The NY Times:

In mid-March, after weeks in denial, Donald Trump finally admitted that Covid-19 was a serious threat and called on Americans to practice social distancing.

The delayed acknowledgment of reality — reportedly driven by concerns that admitting that the coronavirus posed a threat would hurt the stock market — had deadly consequences. Epidemiological modelers believe that tens of thousands of deaths might have been avoided if America had started lockdowns even a week earlier.

Still, better late than never. And for a little while it seemed as if we were finally settling on a strategy for containing the virus while also limiting the economic hardship caused by the lockdown.

But Trump and the Republican Party as a whole have now given up on that strategy. They won’t say this explicitly, and they’re throwing up various disingenuous explanations for what they’re doing, but their basic position is that thousands of Americans must die for the Dow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/opin ... e=Homepage

If you continue to support Trump and are fine with tens of thousands of Americans dying for the stock market and Trump’s reelection efforts, you assume a share of moral responsibility for that choice.

If, like most empathetic and rational individuals, you are horrified by the complete and absolute callousness of that choice, then join me in calling that repugnant choice for what it is:

MASS HOMICIDE.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:18 pm From Nobel Laureate, Paul Krugman, in The NY Times:

In mid-March, after weeks in denial, Donald Trump finally admitted that Covid-19 was a serious threat and called on Americans to practice social distancing.

The delayed acknowledgment of reality — reportedly driven by concerns that admitting that the coronavirus posed a threat would hurt the stock market — had deadly consequences. Epidemiological modelers believe that tens of thousands of deaths might have been avoided if America had started lockdowns even a week earlier.

Still, better late than never. And for a little while it seemed as if we were finally settling on a strategy for containing the virus while also limiting the economic hardship caused by the lockdown.

But Trump and the Republican Party as a whole have now given up on that strategy. They won’t say this explicitly, and they’re throwing up various disingenuous explanations for what they’re doing, but their basic position is that thousands of Americans must die for the Dow.

If you continue to support Trump and are fine with tens of thousands of Americans dying for the stock market and Trump’s reelection efforts, you assume more responsibility for that choice.

If, like most empathetic and rational individuals, you are horrified by the complete and absolute callousness of that choice, then join me in calling that repugnant choice for what it is:

MASS HOMICIDE.

DocBarrister
It’s an election year. Talk show personality Mike Francesa is a hardcore LI Trump supporter. He has jumped ship. He also suggested a 6 year single term limit for a POTUS makes more sense because you would get a different response when folks are not worried about being re-elected. I have said this all along, if this were not an election year, we would have received a different government response.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:23 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:18 pm From Nobel Laureate, Paul Krugman, in The NY Times:

If you continue to support Trump and are fine with tens of thousands of Americans dying for the stock market and Trump’s reelection efforts, you assume more responsibility for that choice.

MASS HOMICIDE.

DocBarrister
It’s an election year. Talk show personality Mike Francesa is a hardcore LI Trump supporter. He has jumped ship. He also suggested a 6 year single term limit for a POTUS makes more sense because you would get a different response when folks are not worried about being re-elected. I have said this all along, if this were not an election year, we would have received a different government response.
That’s probably true, but Trump’s sociopathologic need for adulation and affirmation might have led him to the same choices whether there was an election or not. The disease is the man, and the man is the disease.

Jimmy Carter supported a single six year term. There is merit to the idea, but it’s nightmarish to consider even two more years of Trump.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Report Quote
Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:24 pm

It looks like Trump has thought better of the Czar idea. Now claims it won't happen. Guess it is because its what Obama did, so it can't be right. Anyone care to bet against Trump pulling out some narrative as to how Obama handled the Ebola outbreak all wrong, and how he (Trump) is doing it better with coronavirus? :lol:

Like afan I remember the Obama bashing although I think it was much more panicked. No matter what the experts said, the right wanted to shut down the country, lock it up tighter than a drum. No one coming in.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

seems like the gaslighting has gone both ways.
that's all that some are saying.
the whataboutism has never had a better canvas.
middle of a pandemic, choices made all over tend to be bad.
some are made bc our politicians just happened to be popular and not studs, some bc they're vapid and selfish, etc.

i've thought about the one term thing a lot the last couple weeks. like the 6 years. needs to be on congress, too.
thought that's what i would want if i ever wanted to be elected. chuck it, not care about a base or promises and try to get the right things done.

of course, that and other skeletons would likely make me unelectable.
DocBarrister

Case Numbers Rising in TX, FL, and GA

Post by DocBarrister »

These new case numbers today from Texas, Florida, and GA are concerning.

TX: 1856
FL: 1204
GA: 862

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

We won’t know how the reopening is going for several weeks. These numbers are not reassuring.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:02 pm Yeah, nobody knew any better....the bar is so low for this administration it’s ridiculous....you all have been Gaslit.

That's not the context of the point I'm making with Monday Morning Quarterback DocB. Here's his claim:
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:11 pm . (CNN)If the United States had started social distancing just a week earlier, it could have prevented the loss of at least 36,000 lives to the coronavirus, according to new research.
Backseat driving at its finest. You and I know that DocB has admitted to being a ridiculous caricature of a latte liberal. DocB is specifically calling out Trump for not forcing every governor in the nation to shut down and shelter in place "one week earlier". And he, like CNN, is making this "gee, ya think?" call months after the fact, when even my 5 year old could have figured that out. And he said NOTHING about sheltering in place in February when no one was stopping him from doing so.

So yeah, I'm going to make fun of DocB's usual bloviating about how Trump "did it wrong", and anyone who supports Trump must kick puppies and throw infants out of windows in their spare time.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 pm seems like the gaslighting has gone both ways.
some are made bc our politicians just happened to be popular and not studs, some bc they're vapid and selfish, etc.

i've thought about the one term thing a lot the last couple weeks. like the 6 years. needs to be on congress, too.
thought that's what i would want if i ever wanted to be elected. chuck it, not care about a base or promises and try to get the right things done.

Trump has made “skeletons” almost irrelevant.

Anyway, if you run for office, make certain you have a good online store with lots of great swag. Biden’s “Cup O’ Joe” mugs are not nearly as clever as Obama’s classic “Made in the USA” mugs, but they do the job.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 pm jhu72

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:51 pm

The Chinese were unprepared. The Italians also seem to be unprepared. The South Korean effort seems to have been better, but they had warning, they heeded. We will see how prepared the US is. In our case there is no excuse really.

You people can keep making excuses for this clown administration.

These mindless lemming like anti USA reich wing hate cultists will always make excuses for their narcissist dear leader.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:38 pm

That's not the context of the point I'm making with Monday Morning Quarterback DocB. Here's his claim:
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:11 pm . (CNN)If the United States had started social distancing just a week earlier, it could have prevented the loss of at least 36,000 lives to the coronavirus, according to new research.
Backseat driving at its finest. You and I know that DocB has admitted to being a ridiculous caricature of a latte liberal. DocB is specifically calling out Trump for not forcing every governor in the nation to shut down and shelter in place "one week earlier". And he, like CNN, is making this "gee, ya think?" call months after the fact, when even my 5 year old could have figured that out. And he said NOTHING about sheltering in place in February when no one was stopping him from doing so.

So yeah, I'm going to make fun of DocB's usual bloviating about how Trump "did it wrong", and anyone who supports Trump must kick puppies and throw infants out of windows in their spare time.
People were talking about our slow response in early February. We were asleep at the switch. Scientists have been talking about emerging respiratory viruses posing a threat for years. Just look at this country, States that took heed early, before the community spread was widely dispersed have fared well. We saw what was happening and gambled. We didn’t want to take the hard medicine early. I can’t make an excuse for them. The administration sending 17 tons of mask and gowns to China is mind boggling when the virus was circling the globe. Who thought it was not coming here? We sent the crap away while the virus was already here. I don’t make excuses for my own kids. Own up to mistakes, do better and move on.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:34 pm seems like the gaslighting has gone both ways.

We are not elected officials charged with the welfare of the general public and we don’t receive daily intelligence briefings and we don’t have access to global health officials. People expect more from their cable companies.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:46 pm The administration sending 17 tons of mask and gowns to China is mind boggling when the virus was circling the globe.
Disagree here, too. I will never rip on our government for helping others. Heart in the right place, but yep, in hindsight, that was stupid.

Yes, you and I could list flaws and mistakes from Trump and be here for days. I was reacting to one specific claim from Doc, and I just get tired of his routine sometimes....when I should do as I usually do...just ignore him.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Your post betrays your lack of proper perspective.

It isn’t Monday Morning. It’s midway through the first quarter. We have a long way to go before sunrise.

Trump’s deadly choices are killing Americans RIGHT NOW.

This is not about shutting down the nation one week late. Trump never had a national policy on that.

No, what this is about is the deliberate lies to the American people for months. Ongoing lies.

What this is about is refusing to ramp up testing because Trump wants to keep the “numbers” as low as possible. From his perspective, if tests aren’t done, the cases don’t exist.

What this is about is refusing to provide states funding so that he can coerce states to reopen, no matter what the pandemic is doing.

What this is about is Trump trying to force open schools, even if it endangers young children, so that their parents can go back to work and revive the economy.

I’m sure you would like to see business return, a fan, but is that really worth deflecting criticism against Trump’s despicable actions?

The thug isn’t worth defending. Trump is not worth sullying your soul.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:49 pm

We are not elected officials charged with the welfare of the general public and we don’t receive daily intelligence briefings and we don’t have access to global health officials. People expect more from their cable companies.
there were toilet paper and hoarding runs like never in history.
the market fell for a full month. that is tens of millions of voters. aware.
35%. trillions.

parents had to tell major leaders to close schools. mistakes continued. by elected leaders everywhere. they continue today.

none of those investors or toilet paper shoppers needed intelligence briefings.

when the shutdowns finally happened, the market breathed. and said, "what took you so long?"
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:46 pm The administration sending 17 tons of mask and gowns to China is mind boggling when the virus was circling the globe.
Disagree here, too. I will never rip on our government for helping others. Heart in the right place, but yep, in hindsight, that was stupid.

Yes, you and I could list flaws and mistakes from Trump and be here for days. I was reacting to one specific claim from Doc, and I just get tired of his routine sometimes....when I should do as I usually do...just ignore him.
Send 7 tons and keep 10 tons. We told people they didn’t need a mask because we sent our supply away. What does a mask weigh? 1-2 ounces? That’s a hell of helping hand...and “we don’t trust them”
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”