Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 am Getting a couple of two years guys makes a lot of sense. Hop grabbing one year guys makes way less sense given the circumstance. New set of coaches, likely overhaul of next two years recruiting classes. High probability that at least two FF spots are nearly locked in Duke and UMD. Two years w Epstein too.

I like the two guys they got for the two years, ability to lead a transition and frankly the fact that I don’t think Hop is a FF contender next year for all these and some other reasons so let this fifth year grab fade out while still being competitive in quarters as a realistic goal.
I tend to agree the more I think about it—obviously we all hope and expect to be a more competitive team in 2021 but the goal should not be to peak next season. PM should be building a multiyear plan here. Lots of young talent on the roster with multiple years of eligibility left. Going out of your way to get a 1-year guy doesn't do anything for you longterm, in fact it could potentially disrupt the development of a middie (thinking specifically about McCarthy here) whom you'll need more in 2022 and beyond. I don't think it's a coincidence the two transfers so far have 2 years of eligibility left—and that they are in areas of the field we truly needed help. The case is a little harder to make on offense.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 am Getting a couple of two years guys makes a lot of sense. Hop grabbing one year guys makes way less sense given the circumstance. New set of coaches, likely overhaul of next two years recruiting classes. High probability that at least two FF spots are nearly locked in Duke and UMD. Two years w Epstein too.

I like the two guys they got for the two years, ability to lead a transition and frankly the fact that I don’t think Hop is a FF contender next year for all these and some other reasons so let this fifth year grab fade out while still being competitive in quarters as a realistic goal.
I tend to agree the more I think about it—obviously we all hope and expect to be a more competitive team in 2021 but the goal should not be to peak next season. PM should be building a multiyear plan here. Lots of young talent on the roster with multiple years of eligibility left. Going out of your way to get a 1-year guy doesn't do anything for you longterm, in fact it could potentially disrupt the development of a middie (thinking specifically about McCarthy here) whom you'll need more in 2022 and beyond. I don't think it's a coincidence the two transfers so far have 2 years of eligibility left—and that they are in areas of the field we truly needed help. The case is a little harder to make on offense.
I don't know the answer but with certainty players that have already taken a RS year will get another year such that they get 6 years to play 4?
“I wish you would!”
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Between a PG year, RS year, and the NCAA-granted year Kirson will be able to tell a lot of "back in my day" stories to the class of 2024.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

agree on the 2 years for all the points mentioned save for ff locks.
a bunch of teams will have 5 years worth of players on them.
even an ivy or 2.
cuse, uva, unc, o state if they have a goalie, cornell, psu if they find a new ament, maybe penn again, yale can't be counted out.
any one of those squads could knock off anyone on paper. at this point.
and possibly a mid-major or 2 will rise.
super squads won't be limited to a couple teams. might be the most competitive year ever.
hot goalie, nhl playoffs type competitive.
edit: and i'm slighting g'town, nova, maybe denver and 5 or 6 others by not naming them.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

^Yep. If you're one of those teams and you think you're just a couple pieces away, makes more sense to add them. But for us I think while you definitely still want to get out on the right track in 2021, the bigger goal is to be well positioned for 2022—especially with a new staff on board. Epstein will still be here, the incoming freshmen will by then in theory have had a normal offseason in which to develop, most other major contributors save Williams will still be around too.

On that note they've added the incoming freshmen's names to the 2021 roster online, along with height and weight. Quite impressive that PM was able to keep the entire 18-man class intact. I know some of you probably wish it were smaller but I have a strong suspicion there will be some cuts to get the roster down to a more manageable size.

Some more big dudes on the way:
Grimes 6'4'' 220 attack
Peshko 6'4'' 200 midfield
Deans 6'3'' 190 defense
Smith 6'1'' 210 defense
Arteaga 6'1'' 195 midfield
Martin 6'1'' 180 midfield
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

something like 61 kids on that roster plus the 2 transfers incoming. Burnett, Schreiber, cohen, uphoff, brunner, keneally, handsor. Is there a future there for them?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 pm

agree on the 2 years for all the points mentioned save for ff locks.
a bunch of teams will have 5 years worth of players on them.
even an ivy or 2.
cuse, uva, unc, o state if they have a goalie, cornell, psu if they find a new ament, maybe penn again, yale can't be counted out.
any one of those squads could knock off anyone on paper. at this point.
and possibly a mid-major or 2 will rise.
super squads won't be limited to a couple teams. might be the most competitive year ever.
hot goalie, nhl playoffs type competitive.
edit: and i'm slighting g'town, nova, maybe denver and 5 or 6 others by not naming them.
Of course anything can happen but I’d counter that the relative strength and depth of at least the top 15-25 teams in D1, and on some level all of DI next year, the ones I’m referring to will be better tested at playoff time which lowers the probability of an “upset” than if they blew through the reg season. But there’s also sometimes some heavy favorites and to get to the FF, not title, Duke adding Sowers, OFonnell & Adler to what’s returning and incoming class, along with a pretty 2020 tested, deep and with some strong additions from the portal UMD feel like even money on at least one and maybe just 1.5-1 for both to make next years final four (*assuming health across the board of all teams). Hop may be improved next year but a whole new staff w ACs still coming into their own coaching styles and groove if very good, new guys, new plays, etc, a FF for Hop next year should be a pleasant surprise at best. Now if things come together well and fairly quickly they be at least privately thinking maybe we can get what Tiffany gave UVA in Yr 3 with this and just seems that’s decent expectations without loading something bigger into next year.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

would agree even money on 1 of them and wouldn't take that bet either. might be lower.
1.5 - 1 for both, i'm all over that. lemme know!
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

At this point, I'd guess Hop is in the 9-13 range in the preseason polls. Ahead of them you'll have the following 6 for sure, Duke, UVa, SU, UNC, MD and PSU, and almost certainly the following 3 ND, Denver and Georgetown. Not clear to me what to do with the Ivies yet - even though Yale loses a lot, the TD-advantage is big, and we don't know yet what's going with Penn and Cornell's seniors. Is OSU really going to better than Hop? Villanova? Loyola? At this point, don't think any other Patriot league teams are top 15 material next year.

At the end of the day, I'll take a FF of Duke, MD, Denver and UVa, with Duke winning. Hop loses in the quarters to Duke.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Very much looking forward to next year. To quote Bart Scott, can't wait.
Attachments
Bart Scott Can't Wait.jpg
Bart Scott Can't Wait.jpg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm At this point, I'd guess Hop is in the 9-13 range in the preseason polls. Ahead of them you'll have the following 6 for sure, Duke, UVa, SU, UNC, MD and PSU, and almost certainly the following 3 ND, Denver and Georgetown. Not clear to me what to do with the Ivies yet - even though Yale loses a lot, the TD-advantage is big, and we don't know yet what's going with Penn and Cornell's seniors. Is OSU really going to better than Hop? Villanova? Loyola? At this point, don't think any other Patriot league teams are top 15 material next year.

At the end of the day, I'll take a FF of Duke, MD, Denver and UVa, with Duke winning. Hop loses in the quarters to Duke.
My thinking is, JHU has pulled near even, or really even with PSU in the B1G, for the upcoming year.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm At the end of the day, I'll take a FF of Duke, MD, Denver and UVa, with Duke winning. Hop loses in the quarters to Duke.
And apparently some things never change!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu08 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:38 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm At the end of the day, I'll take a FF of Duke, MD, Denver and UVa, with Duke winning. Hop loses in the quarters to Duke.
It appears to be our fate for all eternity to play Duke in the Quarter Finals.
Maybe the NCAA will give us a break one year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Y'all beat em like 4 times in the playoffs in the mid-aughts. Just the worm turning the other way.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

The 2008 Duke team was a great team. That might have been the biggest win of them all. Shame the Jays had nothing left afterwards against the Orangemen. Gvosden kept them in it the first half, and Rabil put the team on his back the second half, but it was uphill the whole way.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm At this point, I'd guess Hop is in the 9-13 range in the preseason polls. Ahead of them you'll have the following 6 for sure, Duke, UVa, SU, UNC, MD and PSU, and almost certainly the following 3 ND, Denver and Georgetown. Not clear to me what to do with the Ivies yet - even though Yale loses a lot, the TD-advantage is big, and we don't know yet what's going with Penn and Cornell's seniors. Is OSU really going to better than Hop? Villanova? Loyola? At this point, don't think any other Patriot league teams are top 15 material next year.

This generally corresponds with my suggestion that a reasonable expectation was a competitive QF loss. Still feel strongly that it’ll be Duke. UMD and the other two will be dogfight between UNC/Denver/UND/GTown/Cuse most likely as of now.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:33 pm
It appears to be our fate for all eternity to play Duke in the Quarter Finals.
Maybe the NCAA will give us a break one year.
To get to duke, you have to regain charles street supremacy and that hasn't been easy. It's hard to see us getting the opportunity to take on duke in may until we can take care of loyola on a consistent basis. I don't think there's a program over the last 15 years that's won more w/fewer IL 100 kids.

I thought desko was already in the hof but congrats to him and sadly I noticed Hop is featured in a lot of those gatorade bath pictures. Since quint reads this would be a good graphic next spring to have a list of all the Hopkins coaches he's played and coached against, and who after him has been on the field/sideline against us most, 2 impressive lists. They have plenty of time w/out live sports now and w/out the old petro material to give the fans new nuggets.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

The only difference is that I'm not completely at peace with - in fact would welcome - a QF loss to Duke next year. So I never, ever want to hear again about the unrealistic expectations of the lunatics on the message boards. Cool? Cool.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Ignore the first not - meant to say that I AM completely at peace with.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

And PS - I'm thinking Hop wins the 8/9 game to get to the quarters, then losing to 1 seed Duke.

How is Duke not going to be the 1 seed? They're going to be LOADED.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”