Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by jrn19 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:05 am I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts here for teams that might not be able to take in grad transfers, or just choose not to take in transfers due to this mass exodus of students?

WIll those schools suffer in terms of team wins for not only in 2021 for years to come?
If you don’t participate you’re going to lose out, at least for this year and next when they may not go back on the decision, there’s just such a glut of talented players. Those who are getting guys are making their teams better and much deeper too.

Outside of the Ivy though, I’m not sure who it affects that much among teams who can’t take transfers. Loyola can’t, but no one else in the PL can either so they’ll still make the tournaments. The other teams who can’t take 5th years aren’t contenders really anyway so the difference will be negligible, they’ll likely still be in the same spot they were.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Anyone read the recent article by Inside Lacrosse that stated coaches may have to cut 30% of their budgets? I think money is going to be a huge issue and would not be surprised if the NCAA bends the rules to allow programs to rescind scholarships to save programs. I would think smart programs/schools would go after players not seeking athletic scholarship money at all.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Furman dropping lacrosse per TX. Portal about to get a lot more crowded. Feel terrible for all of those young men and their families. Hope it's not the start of a trend.

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 7240381440
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:04 pm Furman dropping lacrosse per TX. Portal about to get a lot more crowded. Feel terrible for all of those young men and their families. Hope it's not the start of a trend.

A lot of schools out there are just in big trouble financially. And at a lot of places lacrosse unfortunately doesn’t have the big alumni bases to really go to bat for it

The programs at big schools should be fine, same with the Ivies, but a lot of the smaller schools and teams out there could be in trouble. I don’t think this’ll be the last SOCON team to go sadly
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The big schools need the small ones for a number of reasons. Any regression is painful for all.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:13 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:04 pm Furman dropping lacrosse per TX. Portal about to get a lot more crowded. Feel terrible for all of those young men and their families. Hope it's not the start of a trend.

A lot of schools out there are just in big trouble financially. And at a lot of places lacrosse unfortunately doesn’t have the big alumni bases to really go to bat for it

The programs at big schools should be fine, same with the Ivies, but a lot of the smaller schools and teams out there could be in trouble. I don’t think this’ll be the last SOCON team to go sadly
Another tough break for Coach Meade. Needless to mention for the staff, players, and recruits.

Best wishes to all.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Praying this does not happen to other programs and this crisis gets under control soon!
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

There has been a disturbance in “the Force” and it is not good. Like a death in the family. Feel bad for the players coaches and staff.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

IL reported that 12 Furman players just entered the portal.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Updating HopFan16's list

Albany - Davis Diamond (attack/midfield), Isaiah Skidders (attack)
Bellarmine - Morgan Macko (attack)
Boston University - Max Tetreault (FOGO)
Bryant - David DeMartino (defense)—>Trinity
Brown - Ryan Finlay (defense)
Bucknell - Will Yorke (attack), Connor Shears (defense), Hunter Newman (LSM), Grayson Burns (attack), Matt Fedorjaka (midfield)
Canisius - Cade Talbert (goalie)
Colgate - Griffin Brown (attack/midfield) —> Maryland, Nicky Petkevich (attack), Parker Baddley (LSM), John Donahue (defense), Cooper Belanger (midfield), Jesse Rosenblatt (attack)
Furman - Luke Majick (midfield), Alec van de Bovenkamp (goalie)x->OSU, Luke Muter (defense)
Hartford - Cullin Walsh (goalie)
Harvard - Myles Hamm (attack), Beau Botkiss (defense), Austin Madronic (attack)*, Nigel Andrews (midfield)
Hobart - Sam Lucchesi (goalie), PJ Delpha (defense), Eric Holden (attack)—>Maryland, Justin Scott (A/M)
Hampton - Ian Groom(FO)
Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield), Eric Wenz (defense)—>OSU, Nick Williams (attack)
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack), Sean Mullaney (midfield), Dan O'Connell(FO)—>Duke
Hopkins - Alex Gainey (goalie), Alex Concannon (midfield), Matt Stagnitta (midfield) --> Jacksonville
Lafayette - Beaudan Szuluk (defense)
Loyola - Jack Raba (Attack)—>Wesleyan
Maryland - Dylan Pallonetti (attack/midfield)—>Stony Brook, Jack DeSantis (defense)—>OSU
Merrimack - Davis Cronin (FOGO), Charlie Bertrand (attack)—>Virginia
Michigan - Matt Trowbridge (goalie), Finn Goonan (LSM)
Mount St. Mary's - Evan Falkowski (midfield)
Notre Dame - Michael Farnish (Defense)
Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie), Christian Tomei (goalie) —>Jacksonville
Penn - Kyle Gallagher (FOGO)---> Notre Dame, Kyle Thornton (defense)--->Notre Dame
Penn State - Collin Almeida (Midfield), Brad Santore (Midfield)
Princeton - Michael Sowers (attack)—>Duke, Connor McCarthy (midfield), Phil Robertson (attack)
Providence - Sean Lahey (attack)
Richmond - Mick Burden (FO)
Rutgers - Demetrius Stevenson (Midfield) —> Delaware; Zach Groff (goalie)
St. Bonaventure - John Kilcommons(attack)
St. John’s - Kyle McBride(LSM)
St. Joseph's - Mike Adler (goalie)—>Duke
Syracuse - Jared Fernandez (LSM)—> Hopkins, Jacob Nelson (attack), Sean Donnelly(attack), Luke Strang (goalie), Andrew Kim (midfield), Justin Kim (midfield), David Lipka(midfield)
UMass - Matt Baugher (attack), Jack Geiger (Midfield)
UMass Lowell - Matt Murakami (goalie)
UMBC - Steven Cornwell (LSM)
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield)—>PSU. Liam Donnelly (goalie) —> Albany, Jimmy Perkins (A/M)—>RMU, Nick Hapney (defense)
Virginia - Xander Dickson (attack)
Vermont - Drew Lenkaitis (attack), Ben French (attack)
Wagner - Jake Garb (attack)
Yale - BJ Burlace (defense)—>MARYLAND; Jackson Morrill (attack)—>Denver, Lucas Cotler (midfield)—> Denver, Brian Ward (LSM)

* in the portal for the future 2023

Div 2/3
Gettysburg - Mitch Wykoff(Defense) —> Syracuse
TX twitter
McComber withdrew from the portal on May 18th

TX twitter
30 former @FurmanMLAX players had entered the NCAA's transfer portal since yesterday's
Last edited by AreaLax on Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Heard Phillip Robertson to Duke too. Would join his brother Joe.
118:24 #HHH
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

cuseman4133 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 pm Heard Phillip Robertson to Duke too. Would join his brother Joe.
Would create a very strange dynamic...there's a nonzero chance he takes playing time away from his own brother (or vice versa). Somebody who is very good at lacrosse is going to be the odd-man out in that attack unit.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm
cuseman4133 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 pm Heard Phillip Robertson to Duke too. Would join his brother Joe.
Would create a very strange dynamic...there's a nonzero chance he takes playing time away from his own brother (or vice versa). Somebody who is very good at lacrosse is going to be the odd-man out in that attack unit.
Different family I believe....

https://goprincetontigers.com/sports/me ... tson/16486
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

oldbartman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Joe's his younger brother.
118:24 #HHH
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

cuseman4133 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:08 pm
oldbartman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Joe's his younger brother.
My bad. The UVA personal info is wrong. It says his younger brother is a senior in HS.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

I think its clear that Danowski is going all in for next year and with Sowers in tow who can blame him. That said I agree with you, and I think they are now way overloaded at certain positions. Unless there are multiple players who aren't coming back that just haven't announced yet there are going to be a lot of unhappy guys next spring riding the bench. Danowski isn't know for exactly playing a lot of guys to begin with, what's he going to do run 2 whole attack units and 4 midfield lines?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Yes. Going to play with his younger brother.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Whole thing is nothing but a big mess. People bailing and transferring from here to there, it's definitely going to cause problems, lot of players are not going to be happy with all this. All for what? Gonna be fall ball? What kind of season is it going to be...shortened with all games closer to home? What's the NC week end going to look like? Nothing but a big klusterphuk, IMO, I think the right thing to have done was to say, feel bad for all of you, really tough break but it's time to move on. Wish you well, all the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmqd8-sJco
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm
I think its clear that Danowski is going all in for next year and with Sowers in tow who can blame him. That said I agree with you, and I think they are now way overloaded at certain positions. Unless there are multiple players who aren't coming back that just haven't announced yet there are going to be a lot of unhappy guys next spring riding the bench. Danowski isn't know for exactly playing a lot of guys to begin with, what's he going to do run 2 whole attack units and 4 midfield lines?
i don't really see this.
joe robertson had an acl basically at the very beginning of the season. no way of knowing whether he'd be 100% in any event.
his brother coming to play with him for one year probably makes for a season they'll remember well regardless of pt.
if o'neill comes in and can do it (and win a job), that gives you a 90-100 point guy, a 65-75 point guy, and whatever o'neill can give you. the others have shown to be 30-40 point guys, save for younger robertson, who's coming off an acl. and he'll have another year once sowers is done.
a middie was their 2nd leading scorer in 2020, a freshman their leader, and a junior who hadn't played much their 3rd.
@ middie you can line up montgomery, caputo, probably bradour, basile, the robertsons (possibly) manown and whoever else can worm their way into the lineup. you're probably going to have to win faceofffs against these guys.

that said, there is one of those guys might transfer, another who may hang it up. just a guess. also guessing duke has other peeps who may earn pt.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”