Best Venues In DI Lax?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Best Venues In DI Lax?

Post by DMac »

The Dome has it's advantages (particularly for Feb and March lacrosse), any other stadiums you'll see this?
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

DMac wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:22 am The Dome has it's advantages (particularly for Feb and March lacrosse), any other stadiums you'll see this?
https://twitter.com/GoArmyWestPoint/sta ... 37/photo/1

Pretty nice
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DMac wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:22 am The Dome has it's advantages (particularly for Feb and March lacrosse), any other stadiums you'll see this?
No, because the keg had to be hidden under the temporary stands behind the East side goal.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:22 am
No, because the keg had to be hidden under the temporary stands behind the East side goal.
Ooops. Don't tell anybody.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Those were the days, my friend. Used to be very easy to bring your own into the Dome and save those trips to the concession stand for refills too (gotta buy one so you've got the cup).
The Boz was the same, you'd be one of few who wasn't packing back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMly5NzZ5Ek
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

DMac wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:09 am
Those were the days, my friend. Used to be very easy to bring your own into the Dome and save those trips to the concession stand for refills too (gotta buy one so you've got the cup).
The Boz was the same, you'd be one of few who wasn't packing back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMly5NzZ5Ek
yes, Lavalle Stadium on LI has adult beverages.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Concur with Tony P and renault on no track and smaller stands. I would add no portalets and locker rooms within 100 yds of the stadium. Seat backs also up the a venues ranking. I also like lacrosse lines only. If you do have lines for multiple sports lacrosse should be white or yellow. Frankly, I was kinda shocked to see the ghosted football lines on Homewood, which is in need of a shave and a haircut. Spinning it as historic lost it charm when April home games were replaced with Rutgers and Michigan instead of Navy, Virginia , Loyola. Any of the lacrosse first stadiums fill most of my criteria if not all. Really impressed with the Club Lax fields at SMU and Texas.

Of course I want a beer stand and the mini canon that fires after a goal but can't those were the old days.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I’ve been to a number of venues a number of times and hands down the best is the Dome. Great program, best attendance with backing by the community like to other, distinctive PA announcer, big time feel, tradition with the championship banners, Jim Brown banner, Haudenosaunee flag, nice scoreboard with stats, excellent comfort since lax is a winter sport now, Orange Club cocktail lounge before the game, plenty of beer vendors. Off the charts when you have 18,000 on hand as they did against Virginia a few years back.

#2 is Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Comfortable with great sight lines, stirring tradition with the battle sites on the facade, the Bilderback-Moore Navy Lacrosse Hall of Fame is not to be missed. Nice concession area.

#3 Homewood. Great lacrosse tradition and game day experience. I love how the PA announcer calls out the midfield changes, great sightlines, best game day program. I always got there early after parking on St Paul to get a seat on the top row on the University Pkwy side. Although railside was good too.

Others worth a mention:
For just watching the game you can’t beat the lower rows of the upper deck at Franklin Field. Excellent birds-eye views where you can hear all the sounds of the game. Impressive piece of architecture too.

I always enjoyed going to Byrd Stadium (pre B1G, turf field). Big game feel, nice to be able to spread out.

Michie Stadium has a special feel. Incredible views from the top row of the Hudson.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

For those who enjoyed sold out final four weekends and several quarterfinals at Delaware Stadium, you will be happy to see that they are in the final stages of a renovation with backed chairs, new club luxury suites, enhanced press box and bathrooms that are not the equivalent of pissing on a wall anymore. The $60 million enhancement includes a massive new athletic center attached to the stadium.

It is conveniently located 1.5 minutes off I-95 smack in between Baltimore and Philly, seats 21K and has a great tailgating atmosphere. And no track around the field, so the stands are right on top of the action. Should be open for business in the fall. Go Hens!!!
Attachments
IMG_1324.PNG
IMG_1324.PNG (130.85 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Of course I am partial to Garber Field, nothing beats a spring day with students on The Hill, and parents right on top of the teams on the bench side.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

northwestern facilities are amazing w/the caveat about what kind of weather you're getting and it's usually bad there.

Philly deserves a lot of credit for that new stadium they built for soccer, I'm biased towards stadiums/w water in the background, but that's an incredible visual in early may.

the football stadiums are nice, but the smaller lacrosse venues give you a feel for the collegiate towns/communities/action around them. I always thought Hopkins students w/appartments next to the lacrosse stadium should get a local business to sponsor them to hang a banner because you can see them on broadcasts.
laxguywm

Post by laxguywm »

I have been to most many times having my sons play on 5 different Division 1 lacrosse teams over the past 15+ years . Providence is the BEST ( if you have never attended a game there I suggest you go !! )
Verizon

Post by Verizon »

no love for Ualbany? Adult sodas as well. They PACK the house.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I am not a fan of any field with:

1. A track around the field because you are too far away from the action.
2. Football yardage, hashmarks, and field lines.
3. Or a baseball infield in part of the field (I have only seen that on Ford field in Vail).

I am a big fan of smaller venues where you are close to the field. Taking care of the fans with good food and cocktails also gets the thumbs up from me. Peter Barton in Denver does well with food and drinks.

The PLL has also done well by playing in MLS venues as opposed to empty stands in football stadiums.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Henpecked wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:40 pm For those who enjoyed sold out final four weekends and several quarterfinals at Delaware Stadium, you will be happy to see that they are in the final stages of a renovation with backed chairs, new club luxury suites, enhanced press box and bathrooms that are not the equivalent of pissing on a wall anymore. The $60 million enhancement includes a massive new athletic center attached to the stadium.

It is conveniently located 1.5 minutes off I-95 smack in between Baltimore and Philly, seats 21K and has a great tailgating atmosphere. And no track around the field, so the stands are right on top of the action. Should be open for business in the fall. Go Hens!!!
Don't hate on the full wall urinals at Delaware Stadium, very efficient, beautiful marble, neighbor friendly classics. Probably not great for social distancing and agree 100% a great venue for a college lacrosse game.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:17 pm I’ve been to a number of venues a number of times and hands down the best is the Dome. Great program, best attendance with backing by the community like to other, distinctive PA announcer, big time feel, tradition with the championship banners, Jim Brown banner, Haudenosaunee flag, nice scoreboard with stats, excellent comfort since lax is a winter sport now, Orange Club cocktail lounge before the game, plenty of beer vendors. Off the charts when you have 18,000 on hand as they did against Virginia a few years back.

#2 is Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Comfortable with great sight lines, stirring tradition with the battle sites on the facade, the Bilderback-Moore Navy Lacrosse Hall of Fame is not to be missed. Nice concession area.

#3 Homewood. Great lacrosse tradition and game day experience. I love how the PA announcer calls out the midfield changes, great sightlines, best game day program. I always got there early after parking on St Paul to get a seat on the top row on the University Pkwy side. Although railside was good too.

Others worth a mention:
For just watching the game you can’t beat the lower rows of the upper deck at Franklin Field. Excellent birds-eye views where you can hear all the sounds of the game. Impressive piece of architecture too.

I always enjoyed going to Byrd Stadium (pre B1G, turf field). Big game feel, nice to be able to spread out.

Michie Stadium has a special feel. Incredible views from the top row of the Hudson.
While the Dome can be fun, I personally could never have an indoor stadium as the top venue for lacrosse. I'm a big fan of Michie for it's breathtaking location.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 pm Of course I am partial to Garber Field, nothing beats a spring day with students on The Hill, and parents right on top of the teams on the bench side.
Have seen some epic battles there.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:14 am
Henpecked wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:40 pm For those who enjoyed sold out final four weekends and several quarterfinals at Delaware Stadium, you will be happy to see that they are in the final stages of a renovation with backed chairs, new club luxury suites, enhanced press box and bathrooms that are not the equivalent of pissing on a wall anymore. The $60 million enhancement includes a massive new athletic center attached to the stadium.

Don't hate on the full wall urinals at Delaware Stadium, very efficient, beautiful marble, neighbor friendly classics. Probably not great for social distancing and agree 100% a great venue for a college lacrosse game.
Was not hating on the ultra-fancy marble pee walls that were, indeed, classics. Just suggesting that the new facility will be a bit more "refined" than its 60 year old predecessor. Bathrooms have come a long way since the mid-50's. :lol:
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Yes, a flush flushed everything; and a shower actually showered you.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:41 pm
DMac wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:14 pm Colgate actually has a very nice stadium. Very pretty area, everything neat and clean, free parking and easy in and out, holds about 10K. Been to a couple of games there with decent size crowds, makes for a good environment.
I don’t like lacrosse on a football field.
And I don't like it indoors.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”