All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Brooklyn

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Brooklyn »

right wing churches prove the truth about Republican "thoughts and prayers":

Ga. church closes two weeks after reopening as families come down with coronavirus

https://www.christianpost.com/news/geor ... virus.html

A Georgia church that reopened after shutting down due to the coronavirus has axed in-person services again in what they describe as “an effort of extreme caution” as several of their families have become infected by the deadly disease.

86% of choir members got infected with COVID-19 after church practice: report

https://www.christianpost.com/news/86-p ... eport.html

A new report from the Skagit County Public Health Department in Washington state published by the CDC Friday, shows how quickly the coronavirus spread after a choir practice became a “superspreader event” for the disease that infected 86% of attending members and killed two of them ... "It's really important that people realize that by meeting, by gathering, 86% of them could become ill and the results and aftermath of that is hard to fathom,"

Yes, Christian "thoughts and prayers" do succeed - in killing.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:24 pm Here is another:
“Hydroxychloroquine may cause some people to be agitated, irritable, or display other abnormal behaviors. It may also cause some people to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies, or to become more depressed. If you or your caregiver notice any of these side effects, tell your doctor right away.“

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... 064216?p=1
The same warning applies to reading your posts.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:17 pm In the "very good news that the media manages to ignore" (now why would that be! :lol: ), please behold the national testing increase and positivity rate decline (you should know this information to hold informed dialogue with anyone on the Covid matter):

Testing.jpg

My real question is this: are progressives less Intelligent because they listen to the media, or are they simply less intelligent?
They stupidly swallow the MSM's panic that total + cases keep increasing, which is inevitable as testing continues to increase.

You don't see the positivity rate depicted in that chart reported on MSNBC & CNN. It doesn't stoke the panic.

Did Trump actually mention Clorox & Lysol by name ?
...or is MSNBC getting product placement kick backs every time a talking head claims he did ?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:58 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:48 pm Interesting....

Source on all those numbers? The financial stuff (not to mention how much tax is actually collected as Texas has pretty high property taxes among other things) seems to be way off according to the state of Texas, so I'm a bit wary on the rest.
Texas & Florida budgets balanced instead of in debt? Says who?

https://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt- ... clock.html

ftfy.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Heard a doctor on TV today say that HCQ isn't really used these days (not sure if he meant just US) as a malaria prophylactic.

That squares with my one time experience 4-5 years ago. I was going to Bolivia for a wedding and went to a Penn Medicine clinic for overseas travel. They gave me the shots and pills I needed as well as a bunch of recommendations.

When we got to malaria, they said there were several drugs I could take to prevent it. One was HCQ but they recommended against it due to side effects. They mentioned nightmares and hallucinations. Don't recall any mention of heart issues. I was told HCQ was an old drug and that there were other, newer and better drugs, with fewer side effects. So I went with one of the newer drugs.

Yes, HCQ is in trials in the U.S. which is fine. Trials are controlled and conducted with proper supervision. Yes, doctors have the authority to prescribe it off label to patients in the hospital who have Covid-19. The reason it is OK to prescribe it in the hospital to someone with the disease is that side effects (e.g., heart problems) can be closely monitored. Any problems can be identified quickly and the drug can be stopped, if necessary.

HCQ has not been approved in the U.S. for prophylactic purposes.

Trump claims he continues to test negative, yet he is taking the drug outside of accepted protocols in the U.S. We probably aren't getting all relevant information, but given his cholesterol numbers, age, weight, sedentary lifestyle, and eating habits, one would think he ought to be very closely monitored for heart issues. Maybe they can do that in the White House, but it seems the public is not being provided with at least some amount of material information they should be given.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:58 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:19 pm

Source on all those numbers? The financial stuff (not to mention how much tax is actually collected as Texas has pretty high property taxes among other things) seems to be way off according to the state of Texas, so I'm a bit wary on the rest.

Texas & Florida budgets balanced instead of in debt? Says who?

i think there's an issue with the chart (other than the misspelling of mortality). line 3 compares a deficient budget against a debt owed.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:08 pm
i think there's an issue with the chart (other than the misspelling of mortality). line 3 compares a deficient budget against a debt owed.

The chart also missed the fact that TexASS's former governor threatened secession until Obama bailed out that state's sorry butts thereby ending its deficit.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:08 pm

The chart also missed the fact that TexASS's former governor threatened secession until Obama bailed out that state's sorry butts thereby ending its deficit.
It has other problems - CA and NY budgets were balanced in prior years. Tax rate shown is top income tax rate - not tax burden (all taxes). In another thread I calculated using total average tax burden - and Florida, while the lowest is not zero - in fact it is more than 50% of CA.
old salt

Post by old salt »

njbill wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:24 pm When we got to malaria, they said there were several drugs I could take to prevent it. One was HCQ but they recommended against it due to side effects. They mentioned nightmares and hallucinations. Don't recall any mention of heart issues. I was told HCQ was an old drug and that there were other, newer and better drugs, with fewer side effects. So I went with one of the newer drugs.
Are you sure he wasn't referring to the earlier chloroquine , which has more side effects, than the newer hydroxychloroquine ?

Are you familiar with off label prescribing & that hundreds of thousands of patients safely use HCQ for lupus & rheumatoid arthritis ?
njbill

Post by njbill »

No, I’m not sure. Fair point. What I am sure of is that the couple of newer drugs they recommended were not HCQ.

I’m not sure that the adverse side effects (especially the serious ones) from chloroquine and HCQ are different. I simply don’t know one way or the other.

I’m only familiar from what I have read and heard in the media. From that, it appears the drug is prescribed for those conditions because of the trade-offs. The conditions can be serious and the benefits of the drug to treat these conditions outweigh the possible side effects. Pretty much the same calculus as when any drug is prescribed. It doesn’t seem to me that the cost/benefit calculus is the same as it is for those conditions when dispensing the drug to someone who does not have COVID-19.
old salt

Post by old salt »

njbill wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:12 pm No, I’m not sure. Fair point. What I am sure of is that the couple of newer drugs they recommended were not HCQ.

I’m not sure that the adverse side effects (especially the serious ones) from chloroquine and HCQ are different. I simply don’t know one way or the other.

I’m only familiar from what I have read and heard in the media. From that, it appears the drug is prescribed for those conditions because of the trade-offs. The conditions can be serious and the benefits of the drug to treat these conditions outweigh the possible side effects. Pretty much the same calculus as when any drug is prescribed. It doesn’t seem to me that the cost/benefit calculus is the same as it is for those conditions when dispensing the drug to someone who does not have COVID-19.
In the anecdotal successes I've seen touted, it was administered shortly after the first symptoms or an early positive test.

Who knows how many health care workers have been taking it as a preventative.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

old salt wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:24 pm Here is another:
“Hydroxychloroquine may cause some people to be agitated, irritable, or display other abnormal behaviors. It may also cause some people to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies, or to become more depressed. If you or your caregiver notice any of these side effects, tell your doctor right away.“

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... 064216?p=1
The same warning applies to reading your posts.
+1 :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... eaders-and

I would have to say God has a sick sense of humor. You would think he would grant all of his believers special protection status? When you need all the sheep you can get, why allow your flock to be killed off? :roll:
Bob Ross:
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 am https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... eaders-and

I would have to say God has a sick sense of humor. You would think he would grant all of his believers special protection status? When you need all the sheep you can get, why allow your flock to be killed off? :roll:
Hm... I wonder who could have seen this kind of stuff coming? :oops:

Reminds me of this...
God Will Save Me

A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.

A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, “I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.”

The neighbors came by his house and said to him, “We’re leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!” But the man declined. “I have faith that God will save me.”

As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, “Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!” But the man again said, “No thanks, God will save me.”

The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. “We will come up and rescue you!” they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, “Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!”

The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.

A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. “No thank you! God will save me!”

Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.

When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, “I put all of my faith in You. Why didn’t You come and save me?”

And God said, “Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?”
And also this...

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Catbird wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 am https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... eaders-and

Hm... I wonder who could have seen this kind of stuff coming? :oops:

Reminds me of this...
God Will Save Me

A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.

A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, “I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.”

The neighbors came by his house and said to him, “We’re leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!” But the man declined. “I have faith that God will save me.”

As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, “Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!” But the man again said, “No thanks, God will save me.”

The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. “We will come up and rescue you!” they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, “Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!”

The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.

A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. “No thank you! God will save me!”

Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.

When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, “I put all of my faith in You. Why didn’t You come and save me?”

And God said, “Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?”
And also this...

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/
I would suppose that Gods warning here would have been for you people to stay home and stay safe. It is funny how Gods own people won't listen to him. :roll:
Bob Ross:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:37 pm
njbill wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 pm I don’t disagree that the drugs Trump takes or doesn’t take should be at the direction of his doctor, not us keyboard pounders on FanLax.

But, given all of the surrounding circumstances, I think the American public has the right to know why HCQ has been prescribed for Trump. I have not seen anything to suggest that physicians should be giving the drug to anyone merely as a prophylactic.

So why is Trumps getting it? Does he have Covid-19?

If the drug is being (arguably improperly) prescribed for him as a prophylactic, that is certainly something the American public has a right to know.

(Course I’m not ruling out the possibility that he is simply lying about it.)
You mean it doesn’t stop a person from contracting the virus?
I really can't comprehend the resistance to something that works. Real humans are alive today for taking it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:59 am
njbill wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:32 pm I don’t disagree that the drugs Trump takes or doesn’t take should be at the direction of his doctor, not us keyboard pounders on FanLax.

But, given all of the surrounding circumstances, I think the American public has the right to know why HCQ has been prescribed for Trump. I have not seen anything to suggest that physicians should be giving the drug to anyone merely as a prophylactic.

If the drug is being (arguably improperly) prescribed for him as a prophylactic, that is certainly something the American public has a right to know.

I really can't comprehend the resistance to something that works. Real humans are alive today for taking it.
So, the FDA is wrong, and all the scientists saying there's insufficient basis to make such a claim are all wrong too?

You know better?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:43 am

So, the FDA is wrong, and all the scientists saying there's insufficient basis to make such a claim are all wrong too?

You know better?
There is no creditable data yet that shows the efficacy of HCQ in treating COVID-19. Anecdotal data that has been reported has been collected under conditions that do not allow anyone to make the claim that this drug is actually saving lives.

Until you have double blind studies with a reasonable number of patients you are only guessing.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

You know better?
Irrelevant what the FDA says in this instance The drugs approved for human use and can be prescribed off label.

MANY MANY folks say they thought they were going to die and they took the drug as a last resort. It worked.

So why do you protest so about it.

You folks justify any an all your claims about anything "If it saves one life"

Well here's three.

https://www.newsweek.com/dem-lawmaker-s ... us-1496469

https://www.foxnews.com/media/coronavir ... d-his-life

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/16/c ... treatment/
Last edited by 6ftstick on Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

6ftstick wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 am

You know better?
Irrelevant what the FDA says in this instance The drugs approved for human use and can be prescribed off label.

MANY MANY folks say they thought they were going to die and they took the drug as a last resort. It worked.

So why do you protest so about it.
And because those reports are anecdotal, they REALLY DO NOT KNOW if it was taking the drug that worked.

And when an effect is relatively small, or does not exist, sellers of "cures" always rely on anecdotal claims. "It worked for me" so buy it.

One of my personal favorites is Prevagen - which is selling you an unproven treatment for memory loss.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/skep ... gist/80321
Unproven supplements like Prevagen (Made from jellyfish! With a hard to pronounce crucial ingredient!) utilize a facade of "proven benefits" and succeed by promoting themselves as science-backed on radio, television, and the internet.

The JAMA article notes that this industry thrives due to the increasing prevalence of Alzheimer's disease, and its lack of effective treatments.

Consumers, it goes on to say, who are intent on finding methods to prevent dementia need to know three things:

There is no known dietary supplement that prevents cognitive decline for dementia.
Supplements do not undergo FDA testing for safety or review for efficacy.
Some supplements may cause harm. For example, vitamin E increases risk of hemorrhagic stroke and, in high doses, increases risk of death.

The Facade of Science-Backed Research

Companies like Quincy Bioscience, the maker of Prevagen, utilize sophisticated techniques that supply false scientific backing for brain health interventions.

The website for Prevagen states "Prevagen improves memory" and "has been clinically shown to help with mild memory loss associated with aging."

As the JAMA articled pointed out, these bogus brain supplement companies quote scientific articles that appear valid but lack essential features such as "sufficient participant characterization, treatment randomization and fail to include limitations." These bad papers are often published in predatory open-access journals.

In the case of Prevagen, despite marketing that includes "The Science Behind Prevagen," there isn't even a single study published in the peer-reviewed scientific literature -- predatory or otherwise.

If you click on the "View the Study" link you will be taken to a PDF of the "Madison Memory Study," which is a study sponsored by Quincy Bioscience, performed by an employee of Quincy Bioscience and published in-house by Quincy Bioscience.

In the world of real science, this type of study is ignored and considered extremely preliminary until it is reproduced by a reputable unbiased scientific lab and published in a peer-reviewed journal. The chances for biased results are way too high to trust.
You have to be skeptical until you see some real evidence. The "MANY, MANY folks" ain't it.

Return to “POLITICS”