VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by tech37 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:29 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 pm Does anyone have info on why Bertrand chose UVa? A Mech Engineering major...does UVa have a strong engineering program? I understand wanting to play for an obvious winner and to play in a warmer climate...no brainers. But unless he's running midfield at UVa I don't see the PT.
Think it's pretty likely that he's going to be starting at attack
oookayyy...that needs some explanation.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:35 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 pm Does anyone have info on why Bertrand chose UVa? A Mech Engineering major...does UVa have a strong engineering program? I understand wanting to play for an obvious winner and to play in a warmer climate...no brainers. But unless he's running midfield at UVa I don't see the PT.
They have an open spot at attack with Kraus moving on. He's much more of a finisher and scorer so attack is a better fit for him. Dox and Cormier both played midfield a year ago and can play there again. Shellenberger is a better fit at the midfield since he did a lot of dodging and initiating from up top in high school. That's the most optimal Top 6 for them and it's not like they have guys batting down the door better than him. I guess Garno maybe, but if Lars didn't think Bertrand could come in and likely start he wouldn't have brought him in as a 5th year guy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:12 pm
They have an open spot at attack with Kraus moving on. He's much more of a finisher and scorer so attack is a better fit for him. Dox and Cormier both played midfield a year ago and can play there again. Shellenberger is a better fit at the midfield since he did a lot of dodging and initiating from up top in high school. That's the most optimal Top 6 for them and it's not like they have guys batting down the door better than him. I guess Garno maybe, but if Lars didn't think Bertrand could come in and likely start he wouldn't have brought him in as a 5th year guy.
Who was the last player that had an ME major that started? I do not know, but would be willing to guess it may be hard to find one.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Ah, thank you. I didn't know Kraus wasn't returning. Makes sense.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 pm
they do have a strong engineering program, but it's a lot of work undergrad, probably moreso for grad school. he was originally planning on getting a master's in int'l business in england before covid so who knows?
he and cormier have similar games and are lefties, so a guess would be one will be an attackman and one a middie.
shellenberger (and others) probably still has designs on working in at attack if he can.
tough to know who is winning what position at this point.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:31 pm
they do have a strong engineering program, but it's a lot of work undergrad, probably moreso for grad school. he was originally planning on getting a master's in int'l business in england before covid so who knows?
he and cormier have similar games and are lefties, so a guess would be one will be an attackman and one a middie.
shellenberger (and others) probably still has designs on working in at attack if he can.
tough to know who is winning what position at this point.
Thanks wgdsr...good info as usual
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Michael also was a 2014 graduate and then took a PG year. He may feel that it’s just time to move on. He has a good job situation. UVA will be fine.
“I wish you would!”
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:54 am
Michael also was a 2014 graduate and then took a PG year. He may feel that it’s just time to move on. He has a good job situation. UVA will be fine.
I am not sure the details have been completely worked out yet but Dox plans to play football at Villanova(assuming they have it). Then he plans to return to Virginia for lacrosse in the Spring. They thought he would have to get a waiver, but there is Already an NCAA rule on the books that permits graduates to do this very thing. Virginia will have 4 players returning who were on the 2020 Tewaarton Watch list in Dox Aitken, Jared Conners, Matt Moore and Charlie Bertrand. If they can stay healthy and develop good team chemistry, they should be a contender in 2021.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

blue angels wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 am
I am not sure the details have been completely worked out yet but Dox plans to play football at Villanova(assuming they have it). Then he plans to return to Virginia for lacrosse in the Spring. They thought he would have to get a waiver, but there is Already an NCAA rule on the books that permits graduates to do this very thing. Virginia will have 4 players returning who were on the 2020 Tewaarton Watch list in Dox Aitken, Jared Conners, Matt Moore and Charlie Bertrand. If they can stay healthy and develop good team chemistry, they should be a contender in 2021.
What is the NCAA rule that allows someone to play one sport at one school in the fall and then another sport at a different school in the spring? I’ve never heard of anyone doing this before and I’m genuinely curious to know what the rule is that allows this
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm
blue angels wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 am
What is the NCAA rule that allows someone to play one sport at one school in the fall and then another sport at a different school in the spring? I’ve never heard of anyone doing this before and I’m genuinely curious to know what the rule is that allows this
The staff were surprised. The word is that a Virginia Compliance officer discovered the little known rule in the regulations. Everyone at Virginia was as surprised as you at the discovery.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

When you think about it, It doesn't really seem that farfetched as I have seen a number of players transfer into a school over the winter break and then play lacrosse in the Spring.
Live Free or Die!
molo

Post by molo »

Good question about engineers.I knew a few lax players who were in the E School when I was in the College (67-71) and Curry (72-74) but I don't know how many recent players have been engineers.
molo

Post by molo »

Some may consider Maryland Stadium too big for lax, but it's a nice venue with ample parking and other amenities. I usually take advantage of the senior discount, but for cold or rainy games, it's worth paying for to stay warm and dry. Friendly, helpful staff, too.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Credit to blue angels, he was correct. This is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard, but kudos to UVA for finding it hidden in there and taking advantage of it https://t.co/1e1UTqhI0Z
molo

Post by molo »

That comment about the Maryland stadium should be on the thread about venues.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:19 pm Credit to blue angels, he was correct. This is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard, but kudos to UVA for finding it hidden in there and taking advantage of it https://t.co/1e1UTqhI0Z
I never believed this would happen but what I saw as the barrier wasn't UVA but Nova. Having publicly announced this as his plan, I was very skeptical that Nova would admit him for a semester to play football, knowing that he wasn't actually there to go to a graduate program and would leave by Christmas. Nova is a good program in 1-AA and Dox was a very good player in high school but it ain't Bama where the football program dictates to the school and I would be shocked if he is a football difference maker at that level having not played in years. What is he going to be enrolled in when he returns to UVA? Despite that bizarre rule that I certainly was not aware of he certainly has to be enrolled at the school to play for the team, right? (or is this rule saying he can graduate, go to grad school elsewhere for a semester and then just go back and play for his undergrad school while not enrolled there anymore??) He can't be an undergrad again, you can't add another major after you have graduated. Is he applying to grad school at both and hoping to transfer the Nova credits to UVA?
WhiteShark

Post by WhiteShark »

Bertrand will enroll in the Business school
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:19 pm Credit to blue angels, he was correct. This is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard, but kudos to UVA for finding it hidden in there and taking advantage of it https://t.co/1e1UTqhI0Z
I never believed this would happen but what I saw as the barrier wasn't UVA but Nova. Having publicly announced this as his plan, I was very skeptical that Nova would admit him for a semester to play football, knowing that he wasn't actually there to go to a graduate program and would leave by Christmas. Nova is a good program in 1-AA and Dox was a very good player in high school but it ain't Bama where the football program dictates to the school and I would be shocked if he is a football difference maker at that level having not played in years. What is he going to be enrolled in when he returns to UVA? Despite that bizarre rule that I certainly was not aware of he certainly has to be enrolled at the school to play for the team, right? (or is this rule saying he can graduate, go to grad school elsewhere for a semester and then just go back and play for his undergrad school while not enrolled there anymore??) He can't be an undergrad again, you can't add another major after you have graduated. Is he applying to grad school at both and hoping to transfer the Nova credits to UVA?
Is that Villanova U. or Villanova Tech?......

Best of luck to Dox. It will be nice to see him play some more lacrosse.
“I wish you would!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 pm He can't be an undergrad again, you can't add another major after you have graduated.
I did. Of course, it was at UMd, a long time ago.

It's a little tougher to do now as they have more secondary requirements for many degrees.

While doing it in a four year period and not returning to school, two of my nephews double majored at UMd.
Live Free or Die!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Cooter wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 pm He can't be an undergrad again, you can't add another major after you have graduated.
I did. Of course, it was at UMd, a long time ago.

It's a little tougher to do now as they have more secondary requirements for many degrees.

While doing it in a four year period and not returning to school, two of my nephews double majored at UMd.
Of course you can double major, I know many, many people who did that. And, as you approach graduation, you can add another major and that will allow you to extend your period as an undergrad before graduating. This is completely different. He is graduating (if I understand correctly) and thus will no longer be enrolled at UVA. How can he possibly just add another major if he is no longer at the school? He would need to apply again to the school, be admitted again, and be an undergrad again to take credited undergrad courses, and I have never heard of a school allowing that, certainly not an actual school school like UVA. Maybe he could audit courses? Don’t think that allows you to participate in sports though. I’m not saying they aren’t going to role put something if Nova goes along with the fake football semester but it will have to be more complicated than just starting back up as an undergrad.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”