All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:05 pm
old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 am Old Salt was comparing France at 65MM people to the USA.
...in response to a post comparing France's testing with the US's.
If testing is a such panacea (& US failure), why is France's death rate so much higher than the US's ?
With a smaller population, spread over a smaller area, & a superior testing program, why is France's death rate not lower than the US's ?

Otherwise, I've compared the US with the W Euro nations, in the aggregate, who have attempted to accurately report their data, as the most relevant
Are you saying South Korea's reporting is inaccurate?

Did someone say France's testing program was better than the US?
Germany's definitely much better, not sure that's true of France.
Germany's deaths per 1mm pop is 96, US 275 (so far).

You do realize that the death rate comparison related to geography would actually be an explanation of higher death rate in France than overall US, due to density? Perhaps you'd like to compare France's death rates to a comparable geography and population say, NY and NJ, both of which have death rates per 1mm over double France's?
Duh. Are you saying S Korea is a W Euro nation ?

Read the thread I'm responding to. Ignore the voices in your head.

I agree that the record of NY & NJ PH effort has been dismal -- eg nursing homes, under-utilization of hospital ship/field hospitals, & failure to lock down, test & trace early.

Like the MSM, you let the NYC metro experience skew what needs to be done in the rest of the US.
hmmm, no, we blew the early testing...at the federal level.

Are you saying SK is phoning their results from test and trace? Their death rates?
Or Germany?

The federal response was dismal, NY got hit first and hardest, with the European strain. It spread like wildfire and was not contained until far too late. Density.

Compare France to NY, which last I checked is America.

under utilization of hospital ships, field hospitals??? Baloney. The PPE wasn't available, those additional beds weren't available until after the heaviest crunch hit...they helped but it was all too late.

6 weeks lost at the federal level. NY and neighbors just took the big hit first.

The rest of the country is going to be a slower burn...we hope.
I'm saying exactly what I said. No need for you to embellish it, on my behalf, or use it to project another of your tedious, self-serving, sermonettes.

There was no vaild reason to send positive covid patients back into nursing homes while 4 field hospitals in the NYC area sat empty.

Did NYC have a Health Dept capable of contact tracing, or was their mission soley to hype ethnic celebrations & parades ?
"tedious", probably.

"Self-serving", how so?
What do you possibly imagine I would personally get out of this?

As usual, you avoid any actual discussion of counterpoints.

Obviously mistakes were made at the local level, all sorts of mistakes. When you are prepared to castigate Trump for his repeated assurances to the country that there was nothing to worry about, based on presumably the expertise of the bloody federal government, both IC and medical experts devoted to this exact sort of national and international crisis, then we can examine the local mistakes of those with far less information.

And when you honestly compare responses between countries, we can discuss them more rationally as well. Again, all sorts of mistakes were made by many other than Trump and the US. But some did much better based on different decisions made.

Can we actually learn from those better decisions?

It's particularly annoying that there's such resistance to learning from those countries which have had repeated pandemic experiences over the years and thus have developed far swifter and coherent responses to new virus challenges.
Again -- despite all your blather, I'm saying what I said, in response to a post comparing testing by the US with France (not S Korea).

I'm comparing the results for the US with what I consider to be the most relevant comparison -- the most populous, advanced W Euro democracies, with comparable health care systems & an apparent commitment to accurate reporting.

You chose to (again) hold up S Korea as the standard you feel we should have attained. You insist on inserting that in every discussion about the US response. That's unrealistic, for numerous reasons. Taiwan, Japan, Singapore & S Korea have recent experience dealing with other viral outbreaks & they have institutionalized their response mechanisms. I earlier posted an article explaining, in detail, S Korea's success. Those Asian nations are proving to be the exception, rather than the rule, particularly in comparison to western democracies where travel patterns & volume rapidly injected the infection. The US was hit from both directions, on both coasts -- from China & from Europe. S Korea was able to quickly identify & contain their initial outbreak hot spot & close their borders early.
No, SK was hit earlier. They're right next door and a ton of travel had already occurred.

But you appear to be missing the whole point, despite actually saying it.

They indeed had the 'advantage' of having been through outbreaks, so instead of ignoring or wishing away the threat they moved swiftly to contain it. THAT's what we should have done.

The strategy they employed is well known, our scientists were fully aware of it, we had planning exercises to address this challenge. But nope we fiddled and frittered the time away.

I'm fine with saying that a bunch of European countries were slow off the mark too, though they too had spread earlier than the US. We had more warning, at least in most of the US. But let's look at Germany's strategy...much closer to SK's than say France.
Blah, blah, blah. I was replying to a post comparing US vs France testing, before you remounted your tedious soap box & highjacked the thread.
I 'hijacked it"?
I asked you a question given your implication that the European countries were accurately reporting whereas others we re not.

I asked whether that included SK...as you were talking about testing, that's the best demonstrated practice example.

Or, as I pointed out, you could compare NY to France as more similar size etc. Or you could compare NY to Germany.

But it's a specious argument to compare how the US overall has done versus a much smaller, denser region, hit much earlier.

I didn't know that you owned this discussion.

Seems to me you just don't like being challenged.
njbill

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:09 pm
njbill wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:50 pm
old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:22 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:15 pm The Idiot Alchemist AKA as DOPUS claims he has been taking Hydroxychloroquine as a preventive as he has tested negative and has no symptoms.
Hydroxychloroquine does not cure or prevent COVID-19 and may cause heart problems. BRILLIANT MOVE

Personally, I think he's LYING and in not actually taking this drug. I cannot imagine that the WH physician would approve let alone write a prescription.

Thermonuclear MORON
I saw numerous docs on tv, including ER docs, saying that they, along with many health care workers, have been taking HCQ+Zpac for protection, based on the initial French study, before Trump jumped on the bandwagon. They acknowledged the potential side effects & monitored for them accordingly. I hope those morons are ok.
I've been watching old episodes of Homeland, and I haven't gotten the virus so I'm pretty positive that's why.

Only known side effect is I'm starting to delude myself into thinking I could be a spy.
Me too on Homeland. Also rewatching Breaking Bad. I've forgotten enough so that I don't recall all the details.
Short term memory loss is not such a bad thing. I hope Uncle Joe forgets his past national security & foreign policy ideas.
Just finished season 4 of Homeland. Sorry Fara bought it. What she ever saw in Max is beyond me.

And agree 100% about short term memory loss. I, myself, only have a finite collection of good stories to tell. Works best if neither I nor my audience remembers them from one telling to the next. :)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm
old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:05 pm
old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 am Old Salt was comparing France at 65MM people to the USA.
...in response to a post comparing France's testing with the US's.
If testing is a such panacea (& US failure), why is France's death rate so much higher than the US's ?
With a smaller population, spread over a smaller area, & a superior testing program, why is France's death rate not lower than the US's ?

Otherwise, I've compared the US with the W Euro nations, in the aggregate, who have attempted to accurately report their data, as the most relevant
Are you saying South Korea's reporting is inaccurate?

Did someone say France's testing program was better than the US?
Germany's definitely much better, not sure that's true of France.
Germany's deaths per 1mm pop is 96, US 275 (so far).

You do realize that the death rate comparison related to geography would actually be an explanation of higher death rate in France than overall US, due to density? Perhaps you'd like to compare France's death rates to a comparable geography and population say, NY and NJ, both of which have death rates per 1mm over double France's?
Duh. Are you saying S Korea is a W Euro nation ?

Read the thread I'm responding to. Ignore the voices in your head.

I agree that the record of NY & NJ PH effort has been dismal -- eg nursing homes, under-utilization of hospital ship/field hospitals, & failure to lock down, test & trace early.

Like the MSM, you let the NYC metro experience skew what needs to be done in the rest of the US.
hmmm, no, we blew the early testing...at the federal level.

Are you saying SK is phoning their results from test and trace? Their death rates?
Or Germany?

The federal response was dismal, NY got hit first and hardest, with the European strain. It spread like wildfire and was not contained until far too late. Density.

Compare France to NY, which last I checked is America.

under utilization of hospital ships, field hospitals??? Baloney. The PPE wasn't available, those additional beds weren't available until after the heaviest crunch hit...they helped but it was all too late.

6 weeks lost at the federal level. NY and neighbors just took the big hit first.

The rest of the country is going to be a slower burn...we hope.
I'm saying exactly what I said. No need for you to embellish it, on my behalf, or use it to project another of your tedious, self-serving, sermonettes.

There was no vaild reason to send positive covid patients back into nursing homes while 4 field hospitals in the NYC area sat empty.

Did NYC have a Health Dept capable of contact tracing, or was their mission soley to hype ethnic celebrations & parades ?
"tedious", probably.

"Self-serving", how so?
What do you possibly imagine I would personally get out of this?

As usual, you avoid any actual discussion of counterpoints.

Obviously mistakes were made at the local level, all sorts of mistakes. When you are prepared to castigate Trump for his repeated assurances to the country that there was nothing to worry about, based on presumably the expertise of the bloody federal government, both IC and medical experts devoted to this exact sort of national and international crisis, then we can examine the local mistakes of those with far less information.

And when you honestly compare responses between countries, we can discuss them more rationally as well. Again, all sorts of mistakes were made by many other than Trump and the US. But some did much better based on different decisions made.

Can we actually learn from those better decisions?

It's particularly annoying that there's such resistance to learning from those countries which have had repeated pandemic experiences over the years and thus have developed far swifter and coherent responses to new virus challenges.
Again -- despite all your blather, I'm saying what I said, in response to a post comparing testing by the US with France (not S Korea).

I'm comparing the results for the US with what I consider to be the most relevant comparison -- the most populous, advanced W Euro democracies, with comparable health care systems & an apparent commitment to accurate reporting.

You chose to (again) hold up S Korea as the standard you feel we should have attained. You insist on inserting that in every discussion about the US response. That's unrealistic, for numerous reasons. Taiwan, Japan, Singapore & S Korea have recent experience dealing with other viral outbreaks & they have institutionalized their response mechanisms. I earlier posted an article explaining, in detail, S Korea's success. Those Asian nations are proving to be the exception, rather than the rule, particularly in comparison to western democracies where travel patterns & volume rapidly injected the infection. The US was hit from both directions, on both coasts -- from China & from Europe. S Korea was able to quickly identify & contain their initial outbreak hot spot & close their borders early.
No, SK was hit earlier. They're right next door and a ton of travel had already occurred.

But you appear to be missing the whole point, despite actually saying it.

They indeed had the 'advantage' of having been through outbreaks, so instead of ignoring or wishing away the threat they moved swiftly to contain it. THAT's what we should have done.

The strategy they employed is well known, our scientists were fully aware of it, we had planning exercises to address this challenge. But nope we fiddled and frittered the time away.

I'm fine with saying that a bunch of European countries were slow off the mark too, though they too had spread earlier than the US. We had more warning, at least in most of the US. But let's look at Germany's strategy...much closer to SK's than say France.
Blah, blah, blah. I was replying to a post comparing US vs France testing, before you remounted your tedious soap box & highjacked the thread.
I 'hijacked it"?
I asked you a question given your implication that the European countries were accurately reporting whereas others we re not.

I asked whether that included SK...as you were talking about testing, that's the best demonstrated practice example.

Or, as I pointed out, you could compare NY to France as more similar size etc. Or you could compare NY to Germany.

But it's a specious argument to compare how the US overall has done versus a much smaller, denser region, hit much earlier.

Old moderator habits die hard.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Kismet wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:15 pm The Idiot Alchemist AKA as DOPUS claims he has been taking Hydroxychloroquine as a preventive as he has tested negative and has no symptoms.
Hydroxychloroquine does not cure or prevent COVID-19 and may cause heart problems. BRILLIANT MOVE

Personally, I think he's LYING and in not actually taking this drug. I cannot imagine that the WH physician would approve let alone write a prescription.

Thermonuclear MORON
I saw numerous docs on tv, including ER docs, saying that they, along with many health care workers, have been taking HCQ+Zpac for protection, based on the initial French study, before Trump jumped on the bandwagon. They acknowledged the potential side effects & monitored for them accordingly. I hope those morons are ok.
Wasn't so long ago you were trashing French (and other Euro) response. So now your view is that they are geniuses and ahead of the curve.
Yeah, sure. Moving goalposts again as usual. :oops: :oops:
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:01 pm

Thermonuclear MORON
Wasn't so long ago you were trashing French (and other Euro) response. So now your view is that they are geniuses and ahead of the curve.
He was suggesting Macron be criticized instead of Trump.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:53 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm I 'hijacked it"?

Note the post below, which I was replying to -- a simple comparison between the US & France,
before you two butted in & dishonestly recast what I said, diverting the thread (endlessly), as is your wont.

I said nothing (in any post) that could be dishonestly recast as questioning the accuracy of S Korea's reporting.
Those are the voices in your head & your dishonest techique of attributing to others things that they did not say.

old salt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:32 pm
old salt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:18 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:02 pm maybe i should have been more clear. the author states in his closing and as a premise we can be celebrating life, liberty, etc. by the 4th of july.
just change testing from what we have now to 20 times that by tomorrow.
no due diligence, no roadmap for being able to accomplish that. just do that and we're good.
he iterates (a number i heard as well but didn't see it backed up) we have latent capacity to do 2 million tests a day, but now do 300k. why don't we do 2 million? to answer this, you can't say "because donald trump won't let them." or "donald trump doesn't incentivize them."
show me why or replies about trump or anything else don't matter. this is the greatest opportunity in a testing company's existence to push out everything they can. for goodwill and profit.
they are boosting capacity at the clip they're capable of. could it be faster somehow? probably. how much faster? i don't know. do you? ok, explain how you come up with your numbers. what do industry veterans tell you?
but the author's plan is based on him saying instead of 300k, let's spend and that will get us 5 million tomorrow and even though i have no homework to back that up, that's the plan.
i assume he left out the "let's go!!" off at the end by accident.
If the federal government made it a priority in January instead of March we would be 2 months further along...say where we are going to be in July. I can say “Trump didn’t provide an incentive early enough”. Doesn’t mean we aren’t trying now.
Excuse me but was the CDC nonexistent in January? How bout the NIH? What about the Coronavirus task force? Any of our multiple overlapping intelligence agencies? 100's of thousands folks on the taxpayers payroll sitting around picking their noses waiting for Trump to tell them how to handle tis pesky new virus. During a February 29 broadcast on NBC's "Today Show," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that at that time the government was still not advising people to change their daily habits to avoid the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump Trump Harumph Trump. 4 years of your bleating.
Couldn't start making a test until China gave us the samples (via the WHO)

How did Trump slow down the CDC & FDA ? Deny them overtime ?
Sequence published in min Jan. French also did it before end of that month (sequenced).
# They Choose To Defend Trump.
covid deaths per million of population
USA = 272 // France = 423
Blame Macron

# some have their head up&locked
Last edited by old salt on Mon May 18, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:53 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:25 pm I 'hijacked it"?

Note the post below, which I was replying to -- a simple comparison between the US & France,
before you two butted in & dishonestly recast what I said, diverting the thread (endlessly), as is your wont.

I said nothing that could be interpreted as questioning the accuracy of S Korea's reporting.
Those are the voices in your head & your dishonest techique of attributing to others things that they did not say.

old salt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:32 pm
old salt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:18 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:02 pm maybe i should have been more clear. the author states in his closing and as a premise we can be celebrating life, liberty, etc. by the 4th of july.
just change testing from what we have now to 20 times that by tomorrow.
no due diligence, no roadmap for being able to accomplish that. just do that and we're good.
he iterates (a number i heard as well but didn't see it backed up) we have latent capacity to do 2 million tests a day, but now do 300k. why don't we do 2 million? to answer this, you can't say "because donald trump won't let them." or "donald trump doesn't incentivize them."
show me why or replies about trump or anything else don't matter. this is the greatest opportunity in a testing company's existence to push out everything they can. for goodwill and profit.
they are boosting capacity at the clip they're capable of. could it be faster somehow? probably. how much faster? i don't know. do you? ok, explain how you come up with your numbers. what do industry veterans tell you?
but the author's plan is based on him saying instead of 300k, let's spend and that will get us 5 million tomorrow and even though i have no homework to back that up, that's the plan.
i assume he left out the "let's go!!" off at the end by accident.
If the federal government made it a priority in January instead of March we would be 2 months further along...say where we are going to be in July. I can say “Trump didn’t provide an incentive early enough”. Doesn’t mean we aren’t trying now.
Excuse me but was the CDC nonexistent in January? How bout the NIH? What about the Coronavirus task force? Any of our multiple overlapping intelligence agencies? 100's of thousands folks on the taxpayers payroll sitting around picking their noses waiting for Trump to tell them how to handle tis pesky new virus. During a February 29 broadcast on NBC's "Today Show," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that at that time the government was still not advising people to change their daily habits to avoid the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump Trump Harumph Trump. 4 years of your bleating.
Couldn't start making a test until China gave us the samples (via the WHO)

How did Trump slow down the CDC & FDA ? Deny them overtime ?
Sequence published in min Jan. French also did it before end of that month (sequenced).
# They Choose To Defend Trump.
Blame Macron

# some have their head up&locked
Dishonest as in casting an opinion as a fact. You have no authority here.

Does that thing hurt?
“I wish you would!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:10 pm

Thermonuclear MORON
He was suggesting Macron be criticized instead of Trump.
Two distinctly different things.

The 5 largest populations in Western Europe come close to the US in total population. In comparison we're doing considerably better than they statistically. France is one of them. Maybe their death rates would be even HIGHER without the use of hydroxy. But that could never happen in your TDS world.

Doctors here obviously prescribe the hydroxy combo as well. I just grabbed the French article as an example that i posted alongside numerous examples of patients here. Too hard to hold two thoughts in your brilliant brains.

So you two would rather people die than take the drug. We understand.
Last edited by 6ftstick on Mon May 18, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Thermonuclear MORON
trump putting hydroxy back in the news again.
if he manages to skirt the virus with the white house teeming with it, that might be all the clinical trial we need.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:14 pm
I stated the facts :

va te faire foutre
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:48 pm Interesting....

Source on all those numbers? The financial stuff (not to mention how much tax is actually collected as Texas has pretty high property taxes among other things) seems to be way off according to the state of Texas, so I'm a bit wary on the rest.
Mortality rate is dead wrong, too.

Try the veal, tip your servers.
says morality rate. so who's to judge?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Thermonuclear MORON
if he manages to skirt the virus with the white house teeming with it, that might be all the clinical trial we need.
:D Funny, and yet...
old salt

Post by old salt »

Thermonuclear MORON
Trashing ? Don't take it personally. I presented facts that show the results of the US response, compared to nations of W Europe who appear to report accurately & have comparable health care systems. Some fared better than the US, some worse. Nothing more.
old salt

Post by old salt »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:34 pm

Thermonuclear MORON
.:lol:. ...karmic justice.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:14 pm
I stated the facts :

va te faire foutre
I can’t. Trump promised you he wouldn’t but that’s not a hemorrhoid leaking into your depends..Trump couldn’t help himself.

🤡
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:40 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:34 pm

Thermonuclear MORON
.:lol:. ...karmic justice.
possible double whammy, because he may also cut the big pharma lobbyist knees out for something that costs next to nothing.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:19 pm
a fan wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:48 pm Interesting....

Source on all those numbers? The financial stuff (not to mention how much tax is actually collected as Texas has pretty high property taxes among other things) seems to be way off according to the state of Texas, so I'm a bit wary on the rest.
Mortality rate is dead wrong, too.

Try the veal, tip your servers.
says morality rate. so who's to judge?
None of us. I just wanted to tell my bad joke.....
old salt

Post by old salt »

Relatively good news (from PBS Newshour) -- MI reported 11 deaths yesterday, a significant decrease, as a Fiat Chrysler plant reopened.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Nice! Hope they're on a roll....
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Covid Patients Testing Positive After Recovery Aren’t Infectious, Study Shows
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... infectious
Researchers are finding evidence that patients who test positive for the coronavirus after recovering aren’t capable of transmitting the infection, and could have the antibodies that prevent them from falling sick again.

Scientists from the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied 285 Covid-19 survivors who had tested positive for the coronavirus after their illness had apparently resolved, as indicated by a previous negative test result. The so-called re-positive patients weren’t found to have spread any lingering infection, and virus samples collected from them couldn’t be grown in culture, indicating the patients were shedding non-infectious or dead virus particles.

The findings, reported late Monday, are a positive sign for regions looking to open up as more patients recover from the pandemic that has sickened at least 4.8 million people. The emerging evidence from South Korea suggests those who have recovered from Covid-19 present no risk of spreading the coronavirus when physical distancing measures are relaxed.
As a result of the findings in the South Korea study, authorities said that under revised protocols, people should no longer be required to test negative for the virus before returning to work or school after they have recovered from their illness and completed their period of isolation.

“Under the new protocols, no additional tests are required for cases that have been discharged from isolation,” the Korean CDC said in a report. The agency said it will now refer to “re-positive” cases as “PCR re-detected after discharge from isolation.”

Some coronavirus patients have tested positive again for the virus up to 82 days after becoming infected. Almost all of the cases for which blood tests were taken had antibodies against the virus.

Return to “POLITICS”