Cornell coach search

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Cornell coach search

Post by VeryRustyRed »

While I'm a big fan of Jordan (terrific young man and an incredibly hard worker), I'm sure that he was not even considered for the interim role. He's younger than (the already young) Buzcek, he has less time on the staff, and most important...the performance of the O has been at a completely different level than the D.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 am Don’t recall his Dartmouth run being particularly notable.
It was for Dartmouth!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And yet for some mysterious reason the Navy AD did not seem to care about that ...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

CU88 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:07 am Nice video interview:

https://www.ftfnext.com/videos/15881814 ... kcontained
Excellent. He touched all the bases.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/56361
"I’m not crazy or over the top. I’m not going to bring anything crazy to this system. I’m not going to change what’s worked for years. There’s a template that works here. A disciplined approach to being competitive, to being selfless, to working as hard as you can with no expectation of reward, and I understand that model. I’ve been here long enough and bought in to the system enough. It’s brought me great rewards.”

“Anything’s possible. Regardless of where you’re playing or what you’re doing, surround yourself with the best possible resources and be coachable and be willing to strive. There are no limits, there are hurdles, but there are no limitations,” he says.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Drcthru wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 am Don’t recall his Dartmouth run being particularly notable.
It was for Dartmouth!
not really, or at least not in a positive way.
Not as bad as what then ensued a few years later, but a big step back from Sowell's run.

Really liked the interview. Seems like a terrific young man who will continue to represent and lead the program, fully respecting its traditions and core values. Which is priceless.

I hope that Cornell gives Buczek and Stevens the full opportunity to grow into these roles.
I have a feeling it would pay long term dividends.

My son was only once (2015) on the field versus Connor who took 14 shots that day. Harvard's excellent LSM's Fischer and Breit had their hands full tag teaming trying to keep Connor in check, as they knew how dangerous he was. They managed to limit those 14 shots to just 5 on cage, including the last shot with 12 seconds left. My son was fortunate to save 4 out of 5 of Connor's on cage shots, including that last one to preserve the upset. That was the game Dwyer intercepted Massimilian's pass to Knight off the FO with 32 seconds left for the go ahead, immediately after Lintner scored a dunk with 40 seconds to tie it up. Domenic was 17 of 23 that day, the last being immediately after Dwyer's score, setting up the final play and shot. Wild game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o94gRaO8YE

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mlax/2 ... 4-igleg0uo
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:35 pm
It was for Dartmouth!
Not as bad as what then ensued a few years later, but a big step back from Sowell's run.

Really liked the interview. Seems like a terrific young man who will continue to represent and lead the program, fully respecting its traditions and core values. Which is priceless.

I hope that Cornell gives Buczek and Stevens the full opportunity to grow into these roles.

My son was only once (2015) on the field versus Connor who took 14 shots that day. Harvard's excellent LSM's Fischer and Breit had their hands full tag teaming trying to keep Connor in check, as they knew how dangerous he was. They managed to limit those 14 shots to just 5 on cage, including the last shot with 12 seconds left. My son was fortunate to save 4 out of 5 of Connor's on cage shots, including that last one to preserve the upset. That was the game Dwyer intercepted Massimilian's pass to Knight off the FO with 32 seconds left for the go ahead, immediately after Lintner scored a dunk with 40 seconds to tie it up. Domenic was 17 of 23 that day, the last being immediately after Dwyer's score, setting up the final play and shot. Wild game.

Classic MDlaxfan.

Not sure what you enjoy more:

1. Trying to cram barely relevant stories about you or your son's playing careers into forums who could care less about them

OR

2. Trashing Coach DeLuca because he tried to instill a little work ethic in to a Harvard team that was the definition of mediocre

I'm guessing its the former but it must be a close race.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

It was for Dartmouth!

Classic MDlaxfan.

1. Trying to cram barely relevant stories about you or your son's playing careers into forums who could care less about them

OR

2. Trashing Coach DeLuca because he tried to instill a little work ethic in to a Harvard team that was the definition of mediocre

VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

MDlaxfan
I was there as well. A beautiful early Spring day. 'Certainly a wild ending, in what was a low-scoring game. Cornell played well below its abilities for the great majority of the game; I kept saying to myself, "when are they going to wake up and step up their game."
Funny thing about the face-off which Dom won and tried to pass back to the goalie. Dwyer (IQ off the charts) read Dom all the way and hedged beautifully. The dad of one of Cornell's starting close defenders said to me after the game that Dom doesn't make that mistake if he grew up playing lacrosse on Long Island.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BigTom4 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 am
It was for Dartmouth!

Classic MDlaxfan.

OR

how is DeLuca related to Connor's taking over this role?

I'm impressed with the young man. At least to my mind, he represents a very positive aspect about the Cornell lacrosse tradition, which I admire.

For some reason that offends you?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

MDlaxfan,

Thanks for your contributions across the many threads here at FanLax.

The opinions of one often say more about that one than it does the majority.

Have a great week, and thanks for continuing to add value to this community.

Regards,
W
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:57 am MDlaxfan
I was there as well. A beautiful early Spring day. 'Certainly a wild ending, in what was a low-scoring game. Cornell played well below its abilities for the great majority of the game; I kept saying to myself, "when are they going to wake up and step up their game."
Funny thing about the face-off which Dom won and tried to pass back to the goalie. Dwyer (IQ off the charts) read Dom all the way and hedged beautifully. The dad of one of Cornell's starting close defenders said to me after the game that Dom doesn't make that mistake if he grew up playing lacrosse on Long Island.
Yes, Dwyer's lax IQ was off the charts. Perfectly timed, crafty poach.

My son pointed out to me later that Devin did another very smart thing. He didn't immediately shoot when the net was actually open, rather he let the play develop a heartbeat allowing the Harvard teammate be at the goal extended so that if he missed the shot they'd retain possession...and then he stuck it perfectly.

But Dom was a beast that day, scoring off the first draw in record time. And 17 of 23 on the day!
Mistake or no mistake, those 11 extra possessions were huge.

Lintner had a big day with 3 goals from the crease, one behind the back and then the game tying goal.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:39 am MDlaxfan,

Thanks for your contributions across the many threads here at FanLax.

The opinions of one often say more about that one than it does the majority.

Have a great week, and thanks for continuing to add value to this community.

Regards,
W
:) thanks.
Really not sure why my post gave such offense, but looking back through some of Tom's prior posts, he does seem rather prickly at times.

I have nothing but respect for Cornell lax. I've been an 'admiring rival' for nearly 45 years, and an admirer in my youth. Was a particularly big admirer of Ritchie Moran who was always very kind to me, both when I was playing and the decades after. And man were those teams terrific in the '70's!

I avoided some of the nastiness that broke out on the CU threads recently, having nothing of value to add! Not my place, I felt.

On this topic though, I'm rooting for these young men to be very successful, though, of course, I'll be rooting for my own alma mater come game time! ;)
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

It was for Dartmouth!

Classic MDlaxfan.

OR

And they say Hopkins fans are unforgiving.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am
It was for Dartmouth!

Classic MDlaxfan.

OR

I'm impressed with the young man. At least to my mind, he represents a very positive aspect about the Cornell lacrosse tradition, which I admire.

DeLuca is as relevant to the conversation as your son having 4 saves against Buczek in 2015.

I too have a lot of respect for Cornell lacrosse history and tradition, which is probably why I am still a little irked by your history of unwarranted digs at the man.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The feud between two posters on this thread and the Cornell 2020 thread are making both threads unreadable. How about MDlaxfan76, Big Tom, laxfan 1313 and DMac take their discussions and arguments to PM so the rest of us can back to lacrosse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ2SAtkEsqU

I f we all go...well, ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT3uFugS0k
;)

Can the DOLO discussion be far behind?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BigTom4 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am
It was for Dartmouth!

Classic MDlaxfan.

OR

DeLuca is as relevant to the conversation as your son having 4 saves against Buczek in 2015.

I too have a lot of respect for Cornell lacrosse history and tradition, which is probably why I am still a little irked by your history of unwarranted digs at the man.
sheesh BigTom, how many years ago did I last mention DeLuca, "unwarranted digs" or otherwise?
Why bring him up in this context?
Are you campaigning for his return as head coach or something?

I just don't get it.
BTW, that "mediocre Harvard team" beat Cornell that year, and the year before for that matter. Even the following year, but then tanked from there with DeLuca's masterful assistance. That was actually 'warranted' ;)

Seriously, Ben's getting a new shot at Delaware. I suspect he'll have success.

But my post was about Connor, given his opportunity as Acting. I'm rooting for his and Jordan's success. (except against my alma mater)

2015 was Connor's senior year, leading a very, very good Cornell team. He scored 40 goals and had 54 points and was in the Tewey hunt. CU packed a lot of offensive punch, with Donovan 64 pts, Hogan 40 pts, Lintner 32 pts, Edmonds 30 pts, and Lord 19 pts, as well as Buczek drawing a ton of attention. Excellent team. Strong defense and goalie as well, and winning a huge % at X.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:09 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ2SAtkEsqU

I f we all go...well, ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT3uFugS0k
;)

Can the DOLO discussion be far behind?
:D
I do think we can at least try to have discussions about the sport we care about, without getting nasty personal.

Life's short.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”