All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/17/politics ... index.html

Imbeciles running the country.
Who is the “senior cdc official?”

I didnt see a name listed in the article you posted.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:16 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm We aren’t selfish. And we were told it’s so transmittable that everyone probably has it. And there’s nothing to do about it anyway.

Wrong. We were told it was more transmittable than the flu, but not to the point where everyone has it. Even the best numbers for NYC have fewer than a quarter of the population infected. Most of the rest of the country - a few percent to around 5 percent.

So Assume you have it, self quarantine and join the 99.95% that end up being fine.

Absolutely a dangerous thing to do. And the death rate alone is likely to end up between a half percent and one percent. Plus a lot more complications healthwise than the flu.

You have a better chance of dying in a car accident than you do of covid.

This is your most laughable claim. Chance of dying IF you get in a car accident are higher, but the chance of getting in an accident makes that one way lower in terms of death rate. (A 1% car accident death rate for the American population would mean around 3.2 million people per year...
These aren’t claims.

My post was referring to the article about lack of test subjects. This is what the public has been told by the talking heads on tv for the past 2+ mos and what we’re seeing in practice locally.

My point is - we take risks in everything we do. We will ultimately accept the unlikely risk of catching covid and dying like we do for many things in life. You have a likely chance of getting into a car accident and dying in your everyday travels as you do catching covid and dying. It can surely happen, but probably won’t, and you can always take plenty of precautions to improve your personal odds.
No 😷
No mask?
old salt

Post by old salt »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/17/politics ... index.html

Imbeciles running the country.
Who is the “senior cdc official?”

I didnt see a name listed in the article you posted.
Here's what Navarro said about the CDC
"Early on in this crisis, the CDC, which really had the most trusted brand around the world in this space -- really let the country down with the testing. Not only did they keep the testing within the bureaucracy they had a bad test and that set us back,"
Navarro maintains that CDC screwed up by trying to do all the test development in house rather than collaborating with large commercial labs like LabCorp & Quest who would help design something they could rapidly scale up & implement. They also might have prevented the CDC's contamination in manufacturing the test. The S Koreans would have invited them to the original meeting at the train station.
Contamination in manufacturing the CDC test for the coronavirus caused weeks of delays that slowed the US response to the pandemic, multiple health officials told CNN last month. The problem stemmed in part from the CDC not adhering to its own protocols, according to a US Food and Drug Administration spokesperson.

The government has never fully explained what stalled the roll out of a crucial test needed to begin measuring the extent of the spread of Covid-19. It would take until the end of February to correct.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar acknowledged problems with the CDC's original test but defended the agency in an interview Sunday.
"I don't believe the CDC let this country down," he told CBS' "Face the Nation" when asked about Navarro's comments. "I believe the CDC serves an important public health role, and what was always critical was to get the private sector to the table."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Jim Malone wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 pm As of May 7, where I am - 4% of US population has 1/3 of deaths.

Doc has me isolated from family and friends.

Fatigue & GI symptoms from start, just fatigue now.

Was exposed directly in March and April to two who survived hospitalization, did the 14 day self isolation each time.

Quick test May 4 resulted in no COVID-19 nor antibodies results.

Getting tested is still tough if no ER admission or the top three symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath. Quick testing is not reliable.

I have to let Doc know if my Oxygen level goes below 95 (I am normally 96-98 depending on time of day taken), my pulse goes over 120 or under 60 (usually 70-90 on annual physical depending on time of day office visit is), or if heart rate graph flattens on top or bottom from a Made in USA Pulse Oximeter I was given. No idea what the PI% is on meter other than it has to be less than 20%.

I still can sleep a day away without rising to go to bathroom or eat. My days and nights are mixed up like an infant until past week where I awake during daytime, eat, take an 8 hour nap.

This thing is no joke for those affected.

I am told it is very difficult to figure out due to its evolving nature and a vaccine will not be around that he would let me take for 24-36 months.

So far so good for me and mine. Not so with those I know.

Have lost pals from beach cabana and local golf club, two who just dropped dead on course. One whose daughter had returned from Spain on break in late February. She was asymtopmatic and it cost him and his family dearly. 55 year old with no health issues. The rest had some type of heart, respiratory ailment, slight diabetes or were undergoing chemo and got it from last session at hospital in early March.

I blame every healthcare administrator, public and private, at federal, state and local levels who did not so much as order an additional band-aid as of March 1 when all who could read and hear knew it was coming for the deaths.

Y'all can blame the politicians and media.
Jim -- has your doc tested you for other viruses ?
Your symptoms sound a lot like the Novovirus which flattened Navy's lax team.
Hang in there buddy. Stay hydrated & only watch comedies on the tube.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Hannity. Rush. Dobbs. Ingraham. Pirro. Nunes. Tammy. Geraldo. Doocy. Hegseth. Schlapp. Siegel. Watters. Dr. Drew. Henry. Ainsley. Gaetz. Inhofe. Pence. Kudlow. Conway. Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh4uS4f78o

It is nothing to worry about it.

"We have contained it!"

"I knew it was a pandemic before anyone."

'I don't take responsibility at all'
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Early data show Moderna Covid-19 vaccine generates immune response

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/18/ear ... -response/
CU88

Post by CU88 »

State and Federal Data on COVID-19 Testing Don’t Match Up
The CDC has quietly started releasing nationwide numbers. But they contradict what states themselves are reporting.
MAY 17, 2020

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ta/611764/

The CDC should provide the country with a single, trustworthy data source on the state of COVID-19 testing. But the fact that its data are still in such disagreement with the state-reported totals means that the CDC’s latest efforts are not of much use to politicians and the public. For now, the agency that should be a respected source of truth in this crisis is only adding to the national confusion.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU88 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:20 am State and Federal Data on COVID-19 Testing Don’t Match Up
The CDC has quietly started releasing nationwide numbers. But they contradict what states themselves are reporting.
MAY 17, 2020

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ta/611764/

The CDC should provide the country with a single, trustworthy data source on the state of COVID-19 testing. But the fact that its data are still in such disagreement with the state-reported totals means that the CDC’s latest efforts are not of much use to politicians and the public. For now, the agency that should be a respected source of truth in this crisis is only adding to the national confusion.
Same thing early on. Their stats were significantly different than the worldometer site and the JHU covid site. The CDC only respects stats that meet their standards.

But not surprising since they did not follow their own standards when building test kits early on.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:08 am Early data show Moderna Covid-19 vaccine generates immune response

Tech: shhhhh, don't mention good news. Libs ain't gonna be happy.

And yes, this vaccine will come much quicker than people think. Never underestimate the genius of man. Never.

Stocks set to roar again.

Back to work!!!!

And put Cuomo in jail.

Thanks.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 am
tech37 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:08 am Early data show Moderna Covid-19 vaccine generates immune response

Tech: shhhhh, don't mention good news. Libs ain't gonna be happy.

And yes, this vaccine will come much quicker than people think. Never underestimate the genius of man. Never.

Stocks set to roar again.

Back to work!!!!

And put Cuomo in jail.

Thanks.
Will be interesting to see how the anti-viral medication is distributed and who pays for it. This could be a tipping point in the ongoing fight between big pharma and dc lobbyist.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU88

Post by CU88 »

o d still doesn’t have an adequate national testing strategy.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU88 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:19 am o d still doesn’t have an adequate national testing strategy.

We did 2 million tests last week, scaling up exponentially at this stage.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:23 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pmThe federal response was dismal, NY got hit first and hardest, with the European strain. It spread like wildfire and was not contained until far too late. Density.
Right, density. The dense decision requiring nursing homes to accept Covid-positive patients. This may well prove to be the worst comprehensive decision made when this health crisis is all said and done...hopefully.
Could be, but I continue to think this is a right-wing, Fox Nation, argument aimed at Cuomo, not actually correct about what was done, why it was done.
Your usual BS. No wonder your bro-in-law wants to punch you out.

How bout, I have close friends who've been effected by this F'ing stupid decision.
:lol: re brother-in-law.
He's actually at considerable risk, 64 with Type II diabetes.
Terrible lifestyle choices, made much better by structure we provide.

But more seriously, do you have close friends who got sick from an infectious patient placed back into a nursing home that didn't want to take them? That would indeed be truly terrible.

Please don't think I'm just waving this off as an irrelevant question, how nursing home patients were protected or not protected from the virus. I have no doubt that mistakes were made.

Extremely vulnerable population, and nursing homes handling lower income patients with government $, not private pay, have economics that are extremely difficult to withstand an issue like this. Staffs go nursing home to nursing home, aren't well paid, and patients are multiple to a room...and they didn't remotely have enough PPE or training to handle it once it was in the door. And it was in the door fast.

so, what's the alternative for these situations? We certainly recognize now that we need to put infected patients together isolated from non-infected, as much as possible, as fast as possible.

But this is a problem that has been brutal anywhere the virus hit the communities hard. Those hit first and hardest were way behind at the outset. Those hit later had more time to learn from others who were hit earlier.
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

‘Immune to Evidence’: How Dangerous Coronavirus Conspiracies Spread
Conspiratorial videos and websites about COVID-19 are going viral. Here’s how one of the authors of “The Conspiracy Theory Handbook” says you can fight back. One big takeaway: Focus your efforts on people who can hear evidence and think rationally.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/immu ... ies-spread

Great article (first published on ProPublica) of a conversation with the authors (at least one of whom is a congnitive scientist in England).

Some takeaways: tend to be part of the extremes politically (both left and right) but these days more on the right.

hard-core conspiracy theorists are pretty much impossible to convince - they keep twisting their arguments to avoid agreeing.

CTs can be real - but the real ones tend to be uncovered by journalists or others knowledgeable (like the engineers who uncovered the VW diesel engine programming that detected emission test cycles and modified their behavior just to pass). False CTs tend to be boosted mostly on the internet by amateurs.

For conspiracy theorists, they never get beyond healthy skepticism to an acceptance of data - essentially become nihilists. The "Plandemic" video is given as an example - absence of evidence is used as evidence for the theory, and contradictory information is believed (came from Wuhan lab and we are being infected by contaminated vaccines).

Commonly used to explain loss of control over events - authors of the book say that whenever there is a mass shooting a new conspiracy theory pops up.

Many conspiracy theorists are immune from argument - just need to be blocked ignored. Debunking however is useful for those who just don't know better.

And finally - the authors of the book note that real conspiracies get uncovered by people who really know what they are doing.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

In other good news on the vaccine side (don't tell PB), a SARS-COV2 vaccine that was already in development in the UK at Oxford shows great potential as a COVID-19 vaccine. If approved, we could have tens of millions of doses available by early fall.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Also, :lol:

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:30 am
CU88 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:19 am o d still doesn’t have an adequate national testing strategy.

We did 2 million tests last week, scaling up exponentially at this stage.
Sure hope so. They're projecting 50 million a week by end of summer.
"exponential"? no. It's a linear function not exponential.
Will 50 million be enough? If we actually had the virus tamped down, yes.

If not tamped down, nope.

Of course, an awful lot of those tests right now are producing inaccurate results.

Best guess as to why the repeat TR ship cases is that the negative results were incorrect, the infection continued to be present and symptoms reemerged. Probably not actually a new infection. At least we sure as heck hope that's the case!

And we know that some of these tests have high false negative rates.
Need to get these more accurate, as well as swift answers.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

holmes435 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:34 am Also, :lol:

ouch
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 am Old Salt was comparing France at 65MM people to the USA.
...in response to a post comparing France's testing with the US's.
If testing is a such panacea (& US failure), why is France's death rate so much higher than the US's ?
With a smaller population, spread over a smaller area, & a superior testing program, why is France's death rate not lower than the US's ?

Otherwise, I've compared the US with the W Euro nations, in the aggregate, who have attempted to accurately report their data, as the most relevant
Are you saying South Korea's reporting is inaccurate?

Did someone say France's testing program was better than the US?
Germany's definitely much better, not sure that's true of France.
Germany's deaths per 1mm pop is 96, US 275 (so far).

You do realize that the death rate comparison related to geography would actually be an explanation of higher death rate in France than overall US, due to density? Perhaps you'd like to compare France's death rates to a comparable geography and population say, NY and NJ, both of which have death rates per 1mm over double France's?
Duh. Are you saying S Korea is a W Euro nation ?

Read the thread I'm responding to. Ignore the voices in your head.

I agree that the record of NY & NJ PH effort has been dismal -- eg nursing homes, under-utilization of hospital ship/field hospitals, & failure to lock down, test & trace early.

Like the MSM, you let the NYC metro experience skew what needs to be done in the rest of the US.
hmmm, no, we blew the early testing...at the federal level.

Are you saying SK is phoning their results from test and trace? Their death rates?
Or Germany?

The federal response was dismal, NY got hit first and hardest, with the European strain. It spread like wildfire and was not contained until far too late. Density.

Compare France to NY, which last I checked is America.

under utilization of hospital ships, field hospitals??? Baloney. The PPE wasn't available, those additional beds weren't available until after the heaviest crunch hit...they helped but it was all too late.

6 weeks lost at the federal level. NY and neighbors just took the big hit first.

The rest of the country is going to be a slower burn...we hope.
I'm saying exactly what I said. No need for you to embellish it, on my behalf, or use it to project another of your tedious, self-serving, sermonettes.

There was no vaild reason to send positive covid patients back into nursing homes while 4 field hospitals in the NYC area sat empty.

Did NYC have a Health Dept capable of contact tracing, or was their mission soley to hype ethnic celebrations & parades ?
"tedious", probably.

"Self-serving", how so?
What do you possibly imagine I would personally get out of this?

As usual, you avoid any actual discussion of counterpoints.

Obviously mistakes were made at the local level, all sorts of mistakes. When you are prepared to castigate Trump for his repeated assurances to the country that there was nothing to worry about, based on presumably the expertise of the bloody federal government, both IC and medical experts devoted to this exact sort of national and international crisis, then we can examine the local mistakes of those with far less information.

And when you honestly compare responses between countries, we can discuss them more rationally as well. Again, all sorts of mistakes were made by many other than Trump and the US. But some did much better based on different decisions made.

Can we actually learn from those better decisions?

It's particularly annoying that there's such resistance to learning from those countries which have had repeated pandemic experiences over the years and thus have developed far swifter and coherent responses to new virus challenges.

Return to “POLITICS”