All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:59 pm Homer Simpson voice....Doh!

As coronavirus testing expands, a new problem arises: Not enough people to test
amazing.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Just caught this on HBO.

Well Worth the Watching.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/25/hbos-ther ... -sundance/
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:40 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:59 pm Homer Simpson voice....Doh!

As coronavirus testing expands, a new problem arises: Not enough people to test
amazing.
Why aren’t more people showing up? “Well, that’s the million-dollar question,” said Utah Health Department spokesman Tom Hudachko.

Is this person serious? It's because we've been told there is a massive shortage of tests (there is), so people like me that aren't selfish wankers....don't go and take the test for fear of leaving someone who might have serious symptoms without one.

I'd sent every family member, and every employee I have to get tested if I thought there were enough tests to go around.

There aren't. Most Americans think of others, believe it or not.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

We aren’t selfish. And we were told it’s so transmittable that everyone probably has it. And there’s nothing to do about it anyway.

So Assume you have it, self quarantine and join the 99.95% that end up being fine.

You have a better chance of dying in a car accident than you do of covid.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 am Old Salt was comparing France at 65MM people to the USA.
...in response to a post comparing France's testing with the US's.
If testing is a such panacea (& US failure), why is France's death rate so much higher than the US's ?
With a smaller population, spread over a smaller area, & a superior testing program, why is France's death rate not lower than the US's ?

Otherwise, I've compared the US with the W Euro nations, in the aggregate, who have attempted to accurately report their data, as the most relevant
Are you saying South Korea's reporting is inaccurate?

Did someone say France's testing program was better than the US?
Germany's definitely much better, not sure that's true of France.
Germany's deaths per 1mm pop is 96, US 275 (so far).

You do realize that the death rate comparison related to geography would actually be an explanation of higher death rate in France than overall US, due to density? Perhaps you'd like to compare France's death rates to a comparable geography and population say, NY and NJ, both of which have death rates per 1mm over double France's?
Duh. Are you saying S Korea is a W Euro nation ?

Read the thread I'm responding to. Ignore the voices in your head.

I agree that the record of NY & NJ PH effort has been dismal -- eg nursing homes, under-utilization of hospital ship/field hospitals, & failure to lock down, test & trace early.

Like the MSM, you let the NYC metro experience skew what needs to be done in the rest of the US.
hmmm, no, we blew the early testing...at the federal level.

Are you saying SK is phoning their results from test and trace? Their death rates?
Or Germany?

The federal response was dismal, NY got hit first and hardest, with the European strain. It spread like wildfire and was not contained until far too late. Density.

Compare France to NY, which last I checked is America.

under utilization of hospital ships, field hospitals??? Baloney. The PPE wasn't available, those additional beds weren't available until after the heaviest crunch hit...they helped but it was all too late.

6 weeks lost at the federal level. NY and neighbors just took the big hit first.

The rest of the country is going to be a slower burn...we hope.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:21 am Old Salt was comparing France at 65MM people to the USA.
If testing is a such panacea (& US failure), why is France's death rate so much higher than the US's ?
With a smaller population, spread over a smaller area, & a superior testing program, why is France's death rate not lower than the US's ?

Otherwise, I've compared the US with the W Euro nations, in the aggregate, who have attempted to accurately report their data, as the most relevant
MD beat me too it regarding density. And who said testing will cure everything? We have no immunity. Testing will allow us to know where the spread is so they we can have isolated shutdowns versus wide spread shutdowns. A vaccine would be nice but we need testing on a widespread level otherwise when the patients start showing up at hospitals we will be shutting down again.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm We aren’t selfish. And we were told it’s so transmittable that everyone probably has it. And there’s nothing to do about it anyway.

So Assume you have it, self quarantine and join the 99.95% that end up being fine.

No 😷 ?
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm We aren’t selfish. And we were told it’s so transmittable that everyone probably has it. And there’s nothing to do about it anyway.

Wrong. We were told it was more transmittable than the flu, but not to the point where everyone has it. Even the best numbers for NYC have fewer than a quarter of the population infected. Most of the rest of the country - a few percent to around 5 percent.

Absolutely a dangerous thing to do. And the death rate alone is likely to end up between a half percent and one percent. Plus a lot more complications healthwise than the flu.

This is your most laughable claim. Chance of dying IF you get in a car accident are higher, but the chance of getting in an accident makes that one way lower in terms of death rate. (A 1% car accident death rate for the American population would mean around 3.2 million people per year...
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pmThe federal response was dismal, NY got hit first and hardest, with the European strain. It spread like wildfire and was not contained until far too late. Density.
Right, density. The dense decision requiring nursing homes to accept Covid-positive patients. This may well prove to be the worst comprehensive decision made when this health crisis is all said and done...hopefully.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 pm

No 😷 ?
Kram, we haven't been told that we already have it...we have been told that it's eventually going to get to 50-60% of the population, possibly more...but only eventually. The issue is how fast, whether hospital systems are overwhelmed, whether food supply chains choke, whether social order collapses.

Big difference, YUGE, with those outcomes versus managing through a slower process, protecting the most vulnerable, while we manage to keep it in check yet enable most of society to be productive.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pmThe federal response was dismal, NY got hit first and hardest, with the European strain. It spread like wildfire and was not contained until far too late. Density.
Right, density. The dense decision requiring nursing homes to accept Covid-positive patients. This may well prove to be the worst comprehensive decision made when this health crisis is all said and done...hopefully.
Could be, but I continue to think this is a right-wing, Fox Nation, argument aimed at Cuomo, not actually correct about what was done, why it was done.

We've been through this. NY, like other states, did not move aggressively enough to set up alternative nursing home capabilities to remove and isolate infected residents from others.

But they did have a policy to enable a nursing home to not take a patient. But no $ if you don't provide the care...they did not adequately recognize that private nursing homes would choose the $ and not provide adequate protection.

But this issue is across states.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:23 pm
Could be, but I continue to think this is a right-wing, Fox Nation, argument aimed at Cuomo, not actually correct about what was done, why it was done.
Your usual BS. No wonder your bro-in-law wants to punch you out.

How bout, I have close friends who've been effected by this F'ing stupid decision.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sure there is. You can stay home if you know you have it, and keep it from spreading. That's the point of testing. Well, the biggest point....
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm So Assume you have it, self quarantine and join the 99.95% that end up being fine.
I have been, and that's the problem: you just described why our economy is F'ed, and why we need testing. The idea is to quarantine folks BEFORE it's too late.

And If I assume I have it...or assume my co-workers have it, and need to quarantiine, I can't bring my staff back to work. Savvy?
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm You have a better chance of dying in a car accident than you do of covid.
Yeah, but people aren't going to stay away from my place of business if they hear I or a co-worker have been in a car accident, savvy?

What happens if my staff gets it? Now what? Do you know how to run a potstill, or how to make malt? And what happens if the public finds out we're the center of an outbreak?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:51 pm
Sure there is. You can stay home if you know you have it, and keep it from spreading. That's the point of testing. Well, the biggest point....
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm So Assume you have it, self quarantine and join the 99.95% that end up being fine.
I have been, and that's the problem: you just described why our economy is F'ed, and why we need testing. The idea is to quarantine folks BEFORE it's too late.

And If I assume I have it...or assume my co-workers have it, and need to quarantiine, I can't bring my staff back to work. Savvy?
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm You have a better chance of dying in a car accident than you do of covid.
Yeah, but people aren't going to stay away from my place of business if they hear I or a co-worker have been in a car accident, savvy?

What happens if my staff gets it? Now what? Do you know how to run a potstill, or how to make malt? And what happens if the public finds out we're the center of an outbreak?
But isn't that the new reality a fan... the balancing act? You can't go on making hand sanitizer... you need to get back to what you do best, for your family and employees, and their families. The risk is now intrinsic...at least until there are reliable therapeutics or a vaccine.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:23 pm
Your usual BS. No wonder your bro-in-law wants to punch you out.

How bout, I have close friends who've been effected by this F'ing stupid decision.

Didn’t MD echo the ‘left wing CNN nation’ lie that Desantis was going to be the biggest loser? As Cuomo’s decisions prove tragic and awful, is that a ‘right wing’ problem? I can’t follow the logic. :lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:02 pm But isn't that the new reality a fan... the balancing act? You can't go on making hand sanitizer... you need to get back to what you do best, for your family and employees, and their families. The risk is now intrinsic...at least until there are reliable therapeutics or a vaccine.
It is the new reality given the lack of testing, yes. But we have 8 stills....only two are for making sanitizer. The rest have been running the last month or so. And we've been bottling spirits with a limited staff for a month, too.

But the lack of testing changes what we do as a company. So we're still not opening our tasting room that generates a crapton of money. Why? Because I have NO CLUE if our people or our customers have it. If I had testing? That choice would be SO much easier. As it stands, I can't risk our distilling production staff to chase after money in the tasting room. Therefore? We keep the tasting room closed.

And for example, I'm still not letting my sales staff visit accounts. So they sit and home, and they work on other things, on full salary.

I wouldn't make this choice if i could test our staff, and know that the restaurant employees or liquor store employees they visited didn't have it.

And a few hundred thousand business owners and managers are making the same choices. This is why it is MORONIC that they haven't treated testing like we're building B-52's in 1945. We're losing billions daily because we don't have testing. And yep, both the D's and R's are on the hook for this stupidity.

The entire point to testing is to isolate people before it's too late. Picture having testing available for everyone....think of all the things you'd do differently if you knew you had Covid----or if you knew you didn't have it. Travel seems possible again, for example.

The risk plummets with testing. Right now? We're flying completely blind, and our government is CHOOSING this path. I don't get it.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pm
old salt wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Are you saying South Korea's reporting is inaccurate?

Did someone say France's testing program was better than the US?
Germany's definitely much better, not sure that's true of France.
Germany's deaths per 1mm pop is 96, US 275 (so far).

You do realize that the death rate comparison related to geography would actually be an explanation of higher death rate in France than overall US, due to density? Perhaps you'd like to compare France's death rates to a comparable geography and population say, NY and NJ, both of which have death rates per 1mm over double France's?
Duh. Are you saying S Korea is a W Euro nation ?

Read the thread I'm responding to. Ignore the voices in your head.

I agree that the record of NY & NJ PH effort has been dismal -- eg nursing homes, under-utilization of hospital ship/field hospitals, & failure to lock down, test & trace early.

Like the MSM, you let the NYC metro experience skew what needs to be done in the rest of the US.
hmmm, no, we blew the early testing...at the federal level.

Are you saying SK is phoning their results from test and trace? Their death rates?
Or Germany?

The federal response was dismal, NY got hit first and hardest, with the European strain. It spread like wildfire and was not contained until far too late. Density.

Compare France to NY, which last I checked is America.

under utilization of hospital ships, field hospitals??? Baloney. The PPE wasn't available, those additional beds weren't available until after the heaviest crunch hit...they helped but it was all too late.

6 weeks lost at the federal level. NY and neighbors just took the big hit first.

The rest of the country is going to be a slower burn...we hope.
I'm saying exactly what I said. No need for you to embellish it, on my behalf, or use it to project another of your tedious, self-serving, sermonettes.

There was no vaild reason to send positive covid patients back into nursing homes while 4 field hospitals in the NYC area sat empty.

Did NYC have a Health Dept capable of contact tracing, or was their mission soley to hype ethnic celebrations & parades ?
Last edited by old salt on Sun May 17, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Wrong. We were told it was more transmittable than the flu, but not to the point where everyone has it. Even the best numbers for NYC have fewer than a quarter of the population infected. Most of the rest of the country - a few percent to around 5 percent.

Absolutely a dangerous thing to do. And the death rate alone is likely to end up between a half percent and one percent. Plus a lot more complications healthwise than the flu.

This is your most laughable claim. Chance of dying IF you get in a car accident are higher, but the chance of getting in an accident makes that one way lower in terms of death rate. (A 1% car accident death rate for the American population would mean around 3.2 million people per year...
These aren’t claims.

My post was referring to the article about lack of test subjects. This is what the public has been told by the talking heads on tv for the past 2+ mos and what we’re seeing in practice locally.

My point is - we take risks in everything we do. We will ultimately accept the unlikely risk of catching covid and dying like we do for many things in life. You have a likely chance of getting into a car accident and dying in your everyday travels as you do catching covid and dying. It can surely happen, but probably won’t, and you can always take plenty of precautions to improve your personal odds.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:16 pm

These aren’t claims.

My post was referring to the article about lack of test subjects. This is what the public has been told by the talking heads on tv for the past 2+ mos and what we’re seeing in practice locally.

My point is - we take risks in everything we do. We will ultimately accept the unlikely risk of catching covid and dying like we do for many things in life. You have a likely chance of getting into a car accident and dying in your everyday travels as you do catching covid and dying. It can surely happen, but probably won’t, and you can always take plenty of precautions to improve your personal odds.
No 😷
“I wish you would!”
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

As of May 7, where I am - 4% of US population has 1/3 of deaths.

Doc has me isolated from family and friends.

Fatigue & GI symptoms from start, just fatigue now.

Was exposed directly in March and April to two who survived hospitalization, did the 14 day self isolation each time.

Quick test May 4 resulted in no COVID-19 nor antibodies results.

Getting tested is still tough if no ER admission or the top three symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath. Quick testing is not reliable.

I have to let Doc know if my Oxygen level goes below 95 (I am normally 96-98 depending on time of day taken), my pulse goes over 120 or under 60 (usually 70-90 on annual physical depending on time of day office visit is), or if heart rate graph flattens on top or bottom from a Made in USA Pulse Oximeter I was given. No idea what the PI% is on meter other than it has to be less than 20%.

I still can sleep a day away without rising to go to bathroom or eat. My days and nights are mixed up like an infant until past week where I awake during daytime, eat, take an 8 hour nap.

This thing is no joke for those affected.

I am told it is very difficult to figure out due to its evolving nature and a vaccine will not be around that he would let me take for 24-36 months.

So far so good for me and mine. Not so with those I know.

Have lost pals from beach cabana and local golf club, two who just dropped dead on course. One whose daughter had returned from Spain on break in late February. She was asymtopmatic and it cost him and his family dearly. 55 year old with no health issues. The rest had some type of heart, respiratory ailment, slight diabetes or were undergoing chemo and got it from last session at hospital in early March.

I blame every healthcare administrator, public and private, at federal, state and local levels who did not so much as order an additional band-aid as of March 1 when all who could read and hear knew it was coming for the deaths.

Y'all can blame the politicians and media.

The parent, not the coach.

Return to “POLITICS”