All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Long analogy comparing our current issues with opening back up with an old summer issue:

Swimming Pools and "Poop"

From my Twitter feed (Jeremy Konynkyk, Center for Global Development)
Alright. There is a LOT of chatter on this website bashing those who are saying most of the country still isn't ready for a safe reopening.

So, as we approach what would normally be summer pool season, here's a short analogy about pooping and accountability.

Imagine you're at the pool, and a kid poops in the water. It happens a few times every summer.

What happens next? Everybody clears the pool. That's the initial step to protect people from the poop.

But it's not the end of the story.

There's a next step - some poor soul on pool staff has to go fish out the poop. It's a pretty thankless job.

Then they have to shock the pool with chlorine to kill off bacteria.

And then everyone waits half and hour or so til it's safe to swim again. https://t.co/y0IMgvvDT9

You can see where I'm going with this.

If the lifeguards tell everyone to clear the pool, but the pool staff declines to actually get rid of the poop, what happens?

No one can go back in. The poop is still there. Limbo.

Whose fault is it that it's not safe to go back in the water? Who is accountable?

Do you focus on the people saying "clean up the poop before we can go back in safely!"?

Or do you focus on the staff whose job it is to clean up the poop?

And what would you think if the staff started saying - look, just get back in. Be a warrior.

The answer is pretty obvious.

So right now, our country is a big swimming pool with a poop problem.

And the President, rather than fix the mess, is urging everyone back into the pool regardless and saying the *real* problem is those people who think the pool's not safe yet. They must hate the pool, etc.

And a lot of the public is buying it!!

The President's whole play here is to distract from his failure to fix the mess by focusing the country's attention on people who don't want to swim in a pooped-in pool.

He wants you to believe they're saying you should never go back in.

And if you buy that, he's off the hook. He doesn't have to clean up the poop, and he doesn't get blamed for failing to do so. Win-win for him.

But NO ONE is saying "never go back in the pool." They're saying - please clean out the poop first.

Everyone wants to get back in the pool. Everyone wants to reopen the country.

And if you're frustrated that we can't, please hold the right folks accountable. The problem isn't the people saying we need to reopen *safely*.

It's the people saying needn't bother with that part.

Addendum - @KatzOnEarth helpfully extends the analogy in this post.

Telling people to just be warriors and go back in the pool isn't just reckless, it also *won't work*. Maybe a few hardy souls will take their chances.

But those who can will opt out. https://t.co/4fjAIqyzTv

If people can see the poop still floating in the pool, they're not going to be convinced by the staff telling them it's safe to go in.

Similarly, governors lifting restrictions won't yield economic recovery until a critical mass of people feel that reopening is safe.

So the pool staff need to stop telling us it's too hard to clean up the poop, and probably unnecessary, and that if we just wait maybe it will go away on its own.

Instead, do what all other pools in town are doing and clean up the 💩.
6ftstick

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by 6ftstick »

Fan is this you.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4964 ... ther-types

Even got the hate America stuff in right up front

“There’s a primordial American tradition going back to the founders of being freedom-obsessed, even though we’re a country founded on slavery and genocide,”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://time.com/5834459/coronavirus-re ... d=88436293

How a COVID-19 Testing Model No One Is Talking About Could Save Thousands of Lives

A novel suggestion on the kind of testing needed going forward. Sounds rational and worth pursuing.
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:35 pm
Bart wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:00 pm
a fan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:19 pm Fair point! :lol:

I forgot to add: we have not built the infrastructure to manufacture testing en masse. We have also not built the infrastructure needed to distribute a vaccine en masse.
I am curious as to what manufacturing infrastructure we should be building? I would think the infrastructure that needs to be build will be dependent on the type of vaccine that ultimately gets the go ahead.
You build the infrastructure for all potential needs. It could cost a billion a year for such facilities, and if it made it so that we had a fully available vaccine 30 days earlier? It would pay for itself, and then some.

So these would be US Government owned and operated facilities? Fine with me I suppose. I can not see private firms doing this, unless of course the Gov is going to pay for it all.

BTW...where did you get the billion dollar price tag? I'd like to read the article on that.

Or do you think this isn't going to happen again?

Are you talking about this particular pathogen or a new different one? Either way I can not answer that with certainty but my guess would be yes on both accounts.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 pm Regrettably so on point.

I watched a special last night about Wade McCluskey, Richard Best, and Dusty Kleiss (WW2 dive bombers, Battle of Midway, Wake etc...). Do you think any of them would call themselves a Democrat today?
Somehow, I don't think they'd be with the the folks armed with semi-automatic weapons carrying Nazi Flags/symbols (in case you didn't know the Japanese enemy they were fighting was in with Hitler and those same Nazis). Thus using them as an example, is totally specious on your part.

While we are at historical accuracy Pete - none of them fought at Wake either which was garrisoned by U.S. Marines only and the U.S Navy was not involved having just been significantly damaged at Pearl Harbor. That said, the American Marine commander was asked by his superiors if he needed anything after repulsing the first attack and Major James Devereux USMC sent back the message, "Send us more Japs!" :lol: :lol:

As for the Midway battle, a shame you don't recall Commanders Massey, Lindsey and Waldron - maybe someday you will notice how they, in a completely different way, intrinsically contributed to the same incredible victory for which the three you name are rightfully famous. You also neglected to mention Lt Cdr Max Leslie commander of VB-3 operating from USS Yorktown (as their regular carrier USS Saratoga was in drydock with battle damage) whose squadron of SBD dive bombers did in a third enemy carrier simultaneously to McCluskey/Best.

As with most other stuff you post here, you are woefully ill-informed while claiming to know it all.....which you obviously don't because that's what internet trolls like you do. :oops: :oops:

Appreciate the history lesson, I really do.

It doesn’t change the fact that they’d be repulsed by the Party of BLM, Pink Pu**y, Emily’s List, Media Matters, Antifa, and every totalitarian nutcase governor and health commissioner.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Phun Phact- Wade McCluskey, Battle of Midway Hero, used to live in Roland Park. A former colleague of mine use to babysit his child.
Last edited by Andersen on Sat May 16, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:25 pm
Kismet wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 pm Regrettably so on point.

I watched a special last night about Wade McCluskey, Richard Best, and Dusty Kleiss (WW2 dive bombers, Battle of Midway, Wake etc...). Do you think any of them would call themselves a Democrat today?
Somehow, I don't think they'd be with the the folks armed with semi-automatic weapons carrying Nazi Flags/symbols (in case you didn't know the Japanese enemy they were fighting was in with Hitler and those same Nazis). Thus using them as an example, is totally specious on your part.

While we are at historical accuracy Pete - none of them fought at Wake either which was garrisoned by U.S. Marines only and the U.S Navy was not involved having just been significantly damaged at Pearl Harbor. That said, the American Marine commander was asked by his superiors if he needed anything after repulsing the first attack and Major James Devereux USMC sent back the message, "Send us more Japs!" :lol: :lol:

As for the Midway battle, a shame you don't recall Commanders Massey, Lindsey and Waldron - maybe someday you will notice how they, in a completely different way, intrinsically contributed to the same incredible victory for which the three you name are rightfully famous. You also neglected to mention Lt Cdr Max Leslie commander of VB-3 operating from USS Yorktown (as their regular carrier USS Saratoga was in drydock with battle damage) whose squadron of SBD dive bombers did in a third enemy carrier simultaneously to McCluskey/Best.

As with most other stuff you post here, you are woefully ill-informed while claiming to know it all.....which you obviously don't because that's what internet trolls like you do. :oops: :oops:
Appreciate the history lesson, I really do.

It doesn’t change the fact that they’d be repulsed by the Party of BLM, Pink Pu**y, Emily’s List, Media Matters, Antifa, and every totalitarian nutcase governor and health commissioner.
You're welcome. Reading history is certainly more worthwhile than most of the garbage you post here (which coincidently, you often don't read except for the headline you like).

Hard to know as they are all dead. Nevertheless, likely not as much as the folks mimicking and supporting the ideas/policies of the enemy they fought to preserve the American way of life and democracy. Try again.

Of course, that generation also hated Rock n. Roll so they weren't perfect. ;)
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bart wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm So these would be US Government owned and operated facilities? Fine with me I suppose. I can not see private firms doing this, unless of course the Gov is going to pay for it all.
Yes, government owned.
Bart wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm BTW...where did you get the billion dollar price tag? I'd like to read the article on that.
I was throwing out I'd guess is worst case expense......and comparing that cost with the economic damage thus far. You could obviously 10x that cost, and it would still be a trifle.
Bart wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm Are you talking about this particular pathogen or a new different one? Either way I can not answer that with certainty but my guess would be yes on both accounts.
Right. I'd agree. So there you go.

If we don't get through all this with a clear path, and clear infrastructure for the "next time", we're idiots. And "next time" could mean this winter.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

flatten.jpg
flatten.jpg (65.37 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

So a few days ago a Korean nightclub became the source of an outbreak.

From the KCDC:

153 infections: 90 attendees at the club, 63 friends and family.

So far SK has administered 46000 tests to help track.

This is in a country where things are generally under better control than the US.
MDlaxfan76

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:44 pm Long analogy comparing our current issues with opening back up with an old summer issue:

Swimming Pools and "Poop"

From my Twitter feed (Jeremy Konynkyk, Center for Global Development)
Alright. There is a LOT of chatter on this website bashing those who are saying most of the country still isn't ready for a safe reopening.

So, as we approach what would normally be summer pool season, here's a short analogy about pooping and accountability.

Imagine you're at the pool, and a kid poops in the water. It happens a few times every summer.

What happens next? Everybody clears the pool. That's the initial step to protect people from the poop.

But it's not the end of the story.

There's a next step - some poor soul on pool staff has to go fish out the poop. It's a pretty thankless job.

Then they have to shock the pool with chlorine to kill off bacteria.

And then everyone waits half and hour or so til it's safe to swim again. https://t.co/y0IMgvvDT9

You can see where I'm going with this.

If the lifeguards tell everyone to clear the pool, but the pool staff declines to actually get rid of the poop, what happens?

No one can go back in. The poop is still there. Limbo.

Whose fault is it that it's not safe to go back in the water? Who is accountable?

Do you focus on the people saying "clean up the poop before we can go back in safely!"?

Or do you focus on the staff whose job it is to clean up the poop?

And what would you think if the staff started saying - look, just get back in. Be a warrior.

The answer is pretty obvious.

So right now, our country is a big swimming pool with a poop problem.

And the President, rather than fix the mess, is urging everyone back into the pool regardless and saying the *real* problem is those people who think the pool's not safe yet. They must hate the pool, etc.

And a lot of the public is buying it!!

The President's whole play here is to distract from his failure to fix the mess by focusing the country's attention on people who don't want to swim in a pooped-in pool.

He wants you to believe they're saying you should never go back in.

And if you buy that, he's off the hook. He doesn't have to clean up the poop, and he doesn't get blamed for failing to do so. Win-win for him.

But NO ONE is saying "never go back in the pool." They're saying - please clean out the poop first.

Everyone wants to get back in the pool. Everyone wants to reopen the country.

And if you're frustrated that we can't, please hold the right folks accountable. The problem isn't the people saying we need to reopen *safely*.

It's the people saying needn't bother with that part.

Addendum - @KatzOnEarth helpfully extends the analogy in this post.

Telling people to just be warriors and go back in the pool isn't just reckless, it also *won't work*. Maybe a few hardy souls will take their chances.

But those who can will opt out. https://t.co/4fjAIqyzTv

If people can see the poop still floating in the pool, they're not going to be convinced by the staff telling them it's safe to go in.

Similarly, governors lifting restrictions won't yield economic recovery until a critical mass of people feel that reopening is safe.

So the pool staff need to stop telling us it's too hard to clean up the poop, and probably unnecessary, and that if we just wait maybe it will go away on its own.

Instead, do what all other pools in town are doing and clean up the 💩.
Trump is also blaming the kid who pooped in the pool.
Shame not being enough, he wants the kid given a good whipping for all to see.
All while not cleaning out the poop...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:03 pm So a few days ago a Korean nightclub became the source of an outbreak.

From the KCDC:

So far SK has administered 46,000 tests to help track.

This is in a country where things are generally under better control than the US.
But of course we couldn't do this...USA! USA! USA!
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat May 16, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6ftstick wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:40 pmnormandy.jpg

Greatest Generation = the vast majority were Democrats who saved us from the Republican financed Hitler and Bolsheviks.

By contrast, anti USA Republicans continue to subvert society and undermine all attempts to keep it healthy and strong:

Who’s Enforcing Mask Rules? Often Retail Workers, and They’re Getting Hurt

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/us/c ... lence.html

Masks have been recommended by public health officials as a key way to diminish the spread of the coronavirus, with at least a dozen states requiring them and many others issuing a hodgepodge of county or municipal orders.

They have also turned into a flash point in the country’s culture wars, with some defending their right to not wear one.

Those reckless America haters don't a flying shttt about the public good and are willing to create havoc all over the land.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

6ftstick wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:50 pmflatten.jpg
Very good.

A sunny day today here in MD, so I was out making some vitamin D.
Live Free or Die!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:03 pm So a few days ago a Korean nightclub became the source of an outbreak.

From the KCDC:

So far SK has administered 46000 tests to help track.

yes.
we're pulling about 25,000 confirmed cases per day. we can guess it's actually been 10 or 20 times that.
at 300 tests per case, that would be 75 million tests per day on the low side.
we should do that, don't know why we don't.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:36 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:32 pm
old salt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:18 pm
6ftstick wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:02 pm maybe i should have been more clear. the author states in his closing and as a premise we can be celebrating life, liberty, etc. by the 4th of july.
just change testing from what we have now to 20 times that by tomorrow.
no due diligence, no roadmap for being able to accomplish that. just do that and we're good.
he iterates (a number i heard as well but didn't see it backed up) we have latent capacity to do 2 million tests a day, but now do 300k. why don't we do 2 million? to answer this, you can't say "because donald trump won't let them." or "donald trump doesn't incentivize them."
show me why or replies about trump or anything else don't matter. this is the greatest opportunity in a testing company's existence to push out everything they can. for goodwill and profit.
they are boosting capacity at the clip they're capable of. could it be faster somehow? probably. how much faster? i don't know. do you? ok, explain how you come up with your numbers. what do industry veterans tell you?
but the author's plan is based on him saying instead of 300k, let's spend and that will get us 5 million tomorrow and even though i have no homework to back that up, that's the plan.
i assume he left out the "let's go!!" off at the end by accident.
If the federal government made it a priority in January instead of March we would be 2 months further along...say where we are going to be in July. I can say “Trump didn’t provide an incentive early enough”. Doesn’t mean we aren’t trying now.
Excuse me but was the CDC nonexistent in January? How bout the NIH? What about the Coronavirus task force? Any of our multiple overlapping intelligence agencies? 100's of thousands folks on the taxpayers payroll sitting around picking their noses waiting for Trump to tell them how to handle tis pesky new virus. During a February 29 broadcast on NBC's "Today Show," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that at that time the government was still not advising people to change their daily habits to avoid the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump Trump Harumph Trump. 4 years of your bleating.
Couldn't start making a test until China gave us the samples (via the WHO)

How did Trump slow down the CDC & FDA ? Deny them overtime ?
Sequence published in min Jan. French also did it before end of that month (sequenced).
# They Choose To Defend Trump.
covid deaths per million of population
USA = 272 // France = 423
Blame Macron

# some have their head up&locked
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:02 pm maybe i should have been more clear. the author states in his closing and as a premise we can be celebrating life, liberty, etc. by the 4th of july.
just change testing from what we have now to 20 times that by tomorrow.
no due diligence, no roadmap for being able to accomplish that. just do that and we're good.
he iterates (a number i heard as well but didn't see it backed up) we have latent capacity to do 2 million tests a day, but now do 300k. why don't we do 2 million? to answer this, you can't say "because donald trump won't let them." or "donald trump doesn't incentivize them."
show me why or replies about trump or anything else don't matter. this is the greatest opportunity in a testing company's existence to push out everything they can. for goodwill and profit.
they are boosting capacity at the clip they're capable of. could it be faster somehow? probably. how much faster? i don't know. do you? ok, explain how you come up with your numbers. what do industry veterans tell you?
but the author's plan is based on him saying instead of 300k, let's spend and that will get us 5 million tomorrow and even though i have no homework to back that up, that's the plan.
i assume he left out the "let's go!!" off at the end by accident.
If the federal government made it a priority in January instead of March we would be 2 months further along...say where we are going to be in July. I can say “Trump didn’t provide an incentive early enough”. Doesn’t mean we aren’t trying now.
Excuse me but was the CDC nonexistent in January? How bout the NIH? What about the Coronavirus task force? Any of our multiple overlapping intelligence agencies? 100's of thousands folks on the taxpayers payroll sitting around picking their noses waiting for Trump to tell them how to handle tis pesky new virus. During a February 29 broadcast on NBC's "Today Show," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that at that time the government was still not advising people to change their daily habits to avoid the coronavirus pandemic.

Sequence published in min Jan. French also did it before end of that month (sequenced).
Blame Macron

# Trump's **** is so far down your throat it's coming out your wazoo...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That ain't no hemorrhoid
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat May 16, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:22 pm If the federal government made it a priority in January instead of March we would be 2 months further along...say where we are going to be in July. I can say “Trump didn’t provide an incentive early enough”. Doesn’t mean we aren’t trying now.

Blame Macron

Whatever Trump did to you in the '80's, it scarred you for life.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

6ft, was that Freedom First Eric printed at the bottom of the poster? From the Freedom First blog? Tell us about your source, please. It's like a wiki edited by a 12 year old. :lol:
Please take me back to the Democrats of WWII. Hell, take me back to Eisenhower. Given your posts here and your Trump Love, I'd imagine you'd have been a Lindbergh supporter before the war.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:22 pm If the federal government made it a priority in January instead of March we would be 2 months further along...say where we are going to be in July. I can say “Trump didn’t provide an incentive early enough”. Doesn’t mean we aren’t trying now.

Blame Macron

Whatever Trump did to you in the '80's, it scarred you for life.
🤡
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”