Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MrLax2U

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by MrLax2U »

Any given year Salisbury (D3) has 6+ assistant coaches. One is full time paid who handles admin and recruiting as well as coaching players. The rest are volunteers. Several are recent grads getting their Masters; one is a university employee who volunteers to help coach b/c he loves the sport; one or more are former players looking to burnish their coaching credentials; and several are former players who live/work in the area. Stevenson U has a similar situation.

I would think if the NCAA allowed Hopkins several more volunteer assistants, it wouldn't make any difference who was head coach and the NCs would start rolling in again.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Concannon was taken off the "2021 roster."

Colwell, Lyne, Giacalone are still there
a fan

Post by a fan »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:44 am
a fan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:59 pm Hopkins pulled in $2.4 Billion, that's with a letter B, from the Federal Government last year. That's in 12 months, folks.

The entire Lacrosse Budget can be found in the sofa cushions. You're good.
I assume you are joking, but just in case, the big hitters are:
- The Applied Physics Lab (DoD, and in my day, almost entirely the USN). It is similar to the JPL and Lincoln Labs, but I know the APL rolled its grants to JH, while I am not sure about Cal Tech or MIT. If the APL is not competitive, the DoD has may other options.
- The Med School (back in the day that included the School of Hygiene and Public Health, since renamed). almost all for medical research. Yes, much of it is funded either directly by the Feds, or indirectly through organizations like the WHO. Again, there is plenty of competition for research grants.
- The Hospital, which bills for procedures, no differently from any other hospital. I would not be surprised if ordinary patients in East Baltimore with Medicare and Medicaid (administered by the States anyway) are a higher percentage than (say) at Mayo in Rochester, Minn.

If the $2.4B includes Federal Financial Aid, that goes to the student, who, if he transfers to (say) Syracuse, that Aid will follow.

Now, while grant proposals are competitive, all non-profits allocate "Overhead", across all the proposals, as well as other operating units. There was a scandal some years back when a California school put the entire Office of the President (or similar) into overhead, and it turned out that a yacht was part of the office. I know for a fact that the East Baltimore Campus (Med School and Hospital) pushed back at including the main library (at Homewood) in their overhead, and while I do not know how it turned out, that makes it hard to believe that undergraduate athletics made it into overhead.
No. Not joking. And I fully understand that this money isn't directly allocated to anything lacrosse.

That said, as I'd imagine you you know, 50% of R%D dollars can be legally applied to "overhead". That's all we're discussing, btw, is R&D dollars.

What this means is that Hopkins is able use this obscene amount of money to hire, retain and equip some of the best facilities in the world without touching the money coming in from tuition, fees, and donations. This is a MASSIVE advantage---and massive is an understatement---- that's keeping Hopkins at the top of the heap in multiple Departments.

So to get to my point: what do you suppose your President would do if the Federal Government cut that money off?

So yep, it's no big deal to give your lacrosse program a DOLO. That's all I'm saying here.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

1:30 today - Q&A with Milliman
2:30 - 2005 championship replay with Koesterer

https://www.youtube.com/user/HopkinsSports
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:44 am
a fan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:59 pm Hopkins pulled in $2.4 Billion, that's with a letter B, from the Federal Government last year. That's in 12 months, folks.

I assume you are joking, but just in case, the big hitters are:
- The Applied Physics Lab (DoD, and in my day, almost entirely the USN). It is similar to the JPL and Lincoln Labs, but I know the APL rolled its grants to JH, while I am not sure about Cal Tech or MIT. If the APL is not competitive, the DoD has may other options.
- The Med School (back in the day that included the School of Hygiene and Public Health, since renamed). almost all for medical research. Yes, much of it is funded either directly by the Feds, or indirectly through organizations like the WHO. Again, there is plenty of competition for research grants.
- The Hospital, which bills for procedures, no differently from any other hospital. I would not be surprised if ordinary patients in East Baltimore with Medicare and Medicaid (administered by the States anyway) are a higher percentage than (say) at Mayo in Rochester, Minn.

If the $2.4B includes Federal Financial Aid, that goes to the student, who, if he transfers to (say) Syracuse, that Aid will follow.

Now, while grant proposals are competitive, all non-profits allocate "Overhead", across all the proposals, as well as other operating units. There was a scandal some years back when a California school put the entire Office of the President (or similar) into overhead, and it turned out that a yacht was part of the office. I know for a fact that the East Baltimore Campus (Med School and Hospital) pushed back at including the main library (at Homewood) in their overhead, and while I do not know how it turned out, that makes it hard to believe that undergraduate athletics made it into overhead.
No. Not joking. And I fully understand that this money isn't directly allocated to anything lacrosse.

That said, as I'd imagine you you know, 50% of R%D dollars can be legally applied to "overhead". That's all we're discussing, btw, is R&D dollars.

What this means is that Hopkins is able use this obscene amount of money to hire, retain and equip some of the best facilities in the world without touching the money coming in from tuition, fees, and donations. This is a MASSIVE advantage---and massive is an understatement---- that's keeping Hopkins at the top of the heap in multiple Departments.

So to get to my point: what do you suppose your President would do if the Federal Government cut that money off?

So yep, it's no big deal to give your lacrosse program a DOLO. That's all I'm saying here.
All I am saying is that I doubt undergraduate athletics are included in overhead. Like I said, *maybe* the University Library, and yes, a top-notch library is a huge asset in lacrosse recruiting.

As far as the other question: IIRC, Harvard Law forbade the US Military from recruiting there, and the government threatened to sue to cut off the entire university from federal funding in response. THAT was an existential crisis for Harvard, assuming the threat was remotely realistic. For JHU it would have been a death sentence.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
a fan

Post by a fan »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:21 pm All I am saying is that I doubt undergraduate athletics are included in overhead.
They absolutely are not included, and I said as much in my post.
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:21 pm As far as the other question: IIRC, Harvard Law forbade the US Military from recruiting there, and the government threatened to sue to cut off the entire university from federal funding in response. THAT was an existential crisis for Harvard, assuming the threat was remotely realistic. For JHU it would have been a death sentence.
Yes! My entire point. This Federal money flows in every direction at Hopkins, and makes it so they don't have to come up with money from tuition or donations.

Hence, back to my point, the reason it's no big deal to have a DOLO.

Have you noticed that the Universities that pull in the most Federal R&D dollars also "happen" to have the biggest sports programs?

University of Alabama, for example gets a half a billion a year in R&D. What a coincidence that they're good at football, eh?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-no fed $ supports hopkins lacrosse.
-now that we have a coach not known for recruiting 6th graders and screaming at players I guess we're onto dolos.
-attendance has been discussed here for years and was a problem across college sports w/explanations from ads ranging from the number of other entertainment options for students, games designed around tv schedules, availability of games on tv, no booze in stadium for students, increasingly diverse student bodies w/fewer ties/interest in school traditions, traditional rivalries sacrified for new tv/$ driven conference affiliations (hello maryland/nebraska hoops) and segregation of student athletes/coaches from student body lessening the personal interaction between the two. I love these si pieces about lacrosse. This one about 200/1500 hop undergrads playing lacrosse was particularly good.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1965/05/17/h ... -tradition

-on the last front the pm thing was billed as an alumni q and a and shockingly there was no alumni q and a.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

They said afterward that the chat feature wasn't working. :roll:

PM said he's driving down to Baltimore today to look at houses.

The players were apparently excited when he told them about the new assistants.

He didn't know Koesterer before this but said he was his top choice for DC throughout.

Said he goes way back with Junior, wasn't sure if he'd be interested in the role but that it was apparent that he was very passionate and committed during the hiring process.

Not really much else worth noting. Was mostly about his upbringing, how he came to lacrosse, early coaching gigs, his family, etc. Seems like a thoughtful and driven guy who knows what he's doing.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

"In fiscal year 2016, the most recent year for which data was available, JHU spent $2.431B on research projects."
Not a nickel of that goes anywhere else. None goes to general revenue and certainly in no way affects athletics.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Drcthru wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm "In fiscal year 2016, the most recent year for which data was available, JHU spent $2.431B on research projects."
Not a nickel of that goes anywhere else. None goes to general revenue and certainly in no way affects athletics.
Not a nickel of that goes "anywhere else"? Where do you think all that money goes?

Salaries for professors. Salaries for grad students. Salaries for researchers. Equipment. Facilities. Yada yada yada. Do lax players have access to professors, grad students, researchers, equipment, facilities, etc? Of course they do. It's why they're at Hopkins in the first place. So of course it directly affects athletics.

Not begrudging any of this. Just pointing out what butters the bread at Hopkins. Every dollar they pull from Uncle Sam is a dollar that they don't have to take out of the General Fund.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:06 pm They said afterward that the chat feature wasn't working. :roll:

PM said he's driving down to Baltimore today to look at houses.

The players were apparently excited when he told them about the new assistants.

He didn't know Koesterer before this but said he was his top choice for DC throughout.

Said he goes way back with Junior, wasn't sure if he'd be interested in the role but that it was apparent that he was very passionate and committed during the hiring process.

Not really much else worth noting. Was mostly about his upbringing, how he came to lacrosse, early coaching gigs, his family, etc. Seems like a thoughtful and driven guy who knows what he's doing.
When JGJR was told about JK as the defensive coordinator, he got excited and said he wanted to coach against that guy every day in practice.

PM didn’t pick up lacrosse until the 8th grade and started out on D since that was the shortest line in practice. Then in college the attack line was the shortest so he moved to attack. He went on to become an All-American attackman.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:30 pm
Drcthru wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:24 pm "In fiscal year 2016, the most recent year for which data was available, JHU spent $2.431B on research projects."
Not a nickel of that goes "anywhere else"? Where do you think all that money goes?

Salaries for professors. Salaries for grad students. Salaries for researchers. Equipment. Facilities. Yada yada yada. Do lax players have access to professors, grad students, researchers, equipment, facilities, etc? Of course they do. It's why they're at Hopkins in the first place. So of course it directly affects athletics.

Not begrudging any of this. Just pointing out what butters the bread at Hopkins. Every dollar they pull from Uncle Sam is a dollar that they don't have to take out of the General Fund.
So long as they don't have to touch the endowment.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:59 pm

At least, not on the first date.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:59 pm

At least, not on the first date.
He’s here all week folks. Please try the veal.
Bluejayfan2

Re: We Ain’t Southwest Airlines

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:04 pm
swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 pm
I have no idea if this is true but I was told the men’s lacrosse team had a full time admin assistant in addition to the DOLO. I was also told this position was eliminated last year to create a DOLO for the women’s team. I would suggest that a DOLO, admin assistant and possibly more would be required to run a D1 lacrosse program efficiently.
Few students attend games now; so just watch when this gets around. Our new coach (salary $$$) has two assistants (@$$$) and a DOLO to run his errands. Our Coach started his academic career @Gettysburg College in 1999 and graduated with the BS degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Empire State College in 2012. His interregnum doesn't mention the Peace Corps or the Marine Corps or any other way 99.9% of our students might have spent those years.

Initially I thought he was okay because a great leader is able to hire people better than himself and that he did. Now we read his DOLO may need an assistant to find his films.
Look ... Johns Hopkins Lacrosse ain’t the “Southwest Airlines” of the lacrosse world. None of that below-economy level trash with no assigned seats and no food available for purchase. :roll:

No, Hopkins Lacrosse is First Class all the way ... mimosas before takeoff ... a hot towel ... warmed roasted nuts ... unlimited selections from the snack basket ... a real hot meal with real silverware ... a frozen dessert ... ample leg room with a leg rest ... and the occasional beautiful broadcaster celebrity sitting next to you who steals one of your two glasses of tonic water because she just awoke from a nap and is thirsty and isn’t going to take “no” for an answer (true story).

So, bottom line: Hopkins is gettin’ a DOLO.

Leave it to other programs to go economy.

DocBarrister 8-)
e is
Okay Doc, first class has many subsets of classes across the globe depending upon your experience. There are Emirates and Singapore airlines and then there's United. Okay, United is a cut above Southwest and Frontier but let's keep the hyperbole reasonable. Chances are that the Hopkins Dolo might be fueling the coach busses on road games which head coach PM will appreciate since he was a former coach driver. I'm guessing it's a position of 80 hours for 30 hours of pay, But, being of an era of where one must pay their dues, I am hoping it's a former Bluejay with a sub 3.0 GPA in S,,T & B,,,S,,T with a chip on his shoulder wanting to make his mark. I am from the Hopkins era when Zim as an assistant lacrosse coach was the head Soccer Coach in the fall season to make the budget work. That was first class in 1983/ Oh take me back to the Hopkins 80's. Or maybe not!
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

Somewhat off topic, this article was published in 1997 on the day that Hopkins lost to Duke in the Quarterfinals:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

This loss was in some ways the most devastating loss of Seaman's tenure, Hopkins had a two goal lead with the ball coming out of a timeout in the fourth quarter with less than a minute to play. I will never forget the UVA fans behind me mocking the "one, two, etc. goal" chant after Duke scored to win in OT. It was of little consolation when the higher seeded UVA team lost to Maryland in the next game in what was Knight and Watson's final game. I was actually dumb enough to go back to Byrd the next year to watch Hopkins lose again in the Quaters in overtime to Maryland.

The article is interesting in that it discussed the perceived issues that Hopkins was having competing with the Princeton dynasty and Syracuse's two decade long run of consecutive Final Four appearances.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

D Michael Gomez no longer on the roster. Same with Concannon. Gainey is still there.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jhu93 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:55 am Somewhat off topic, this article was published in 1997 on the day that Hopkins lost to Duke in the Quarterfinals:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

This loss was in some ways the most devastating loss of Seaman's tenure, Hopkins had a two goal lead with the ball coming out of a timeout in the fourth quarter with less than a minute to play. I will never forget the UVA fans behind me mocking the "one, two, etc. goal" chant after Duke scored to win in OT. It was of little consolation when the higher seeded UVA team lost to Maryland in the next game in what was Knight and Watson's final game. I was actually dumb enough to go back to Byrd the next year to watch Hopkins lose again in the Quaters in overtime to Maryland.

The article is interesting in that it discussed the perceived issues that Hopkins was having competing with the Princeton dynasty and Syracuse's two decade long run of consecutive Final Four appearances.
I like this line:
"Since when do we judge success by Final Fours?" said ESPN commentator Quint Kessenich, the goalie on the 1987 champs. "Somewhere along the line, there's been an acceptance of mediocrity, or close to mediocrity. We've been surpassed by Syracuse, Virginia and Princeton. Those programs are recruiting better talent and winning big games, for a number of reasons."
Live Free or Die!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MrLax2U wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:07 am Any given year Salisbury (D3) has 6+ assistant coaches. One is full time paid who handles admin and recruiting as well as coaching players. The rest are volunteers. Several are recent grads getting their Masters; one is a university employee who volunteers to help coach b/c he loves the sport; one or more are former players looking to burnish their coaching credentials; and several are former players who live/work in the area. Stevenson U has a similar situation.

I would think if the NCAA allowed Hopkins several more volunteer assistants, it wouldn't make any difference who was head coach and the NCs would start rolling in again.
And that “volunteer assistant” was in fact a former head lacrosse college coach at 2 places (Hamilton University and St Mary’s College) for a decade...He ad lots of success and was named conference coach of the year at both places.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

kramerica.inc » Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 pm

MrLax2U wrote: ↑
Sat May 16, 2020 9:07 am
Any given year Salisbury (D3) has 6+ assistant coaches. One is full time paid who handles admin and recruiting as well as coaching players. The rest are volunteers. Several are recent grads getting their Masters; one is a university employee who volunteers to help coach b/c he loves the sport; one or more are former players looking to burnish their coaching credentials; and several are former players who live/work in the area. Stevenson U has a similar situation.

And that “volunteer assistant” was in fact a former head lacrosse college coach at 2 places (Hamilton University and St Mary’s College) for a decade...He ad lots of success and was named conference coach of the year at both places.
If Hopkins could borrow the Salisbury coaching staff from Berkman, Axel, Block, Miller, Sandlin, Gallagher on down for a year or two, I think they'd see some success.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”