Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nrthcrosslax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nrthcrosslax »

swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 pm
I have no idea if this is true but I was told the men’s lacrosse team had a full time admin assistant in addition to the DOLO. I was also told this position was eliminated last year to create a DOLO for the women’s team. I would suggest that a DOLO, admin assistant and possibly more would be required to run a D1 lacrosse program efficiently.
Few students attend games now; so just watch when this gets around. Our new coach (salary $$$) has two assistants (@$$$) and a DOLO to run his errands. Our Coach started his academic career @Gettysburg College in 1999 and graduated with the BS degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Empire State College in 2012. His interregnum doesn't mention the Peace Corps or the Marine Corps or any other way 99.9% of our students might have spent those years.

Initially I thought he was okay because a great leader is able to hire people better than himself and that he did. Now we read his DOLO may need an assistant to find his films.
Petro had a DOLO. His name was O’Branski. He also worked for Janine Tucker and the women. I’m guessing the new DOLO will be directing lacrosse operations for both the men’s and women’s teams. Does it make you feel any better that the position will do double duty? I’m sure the new DOLO will have more than enough to do while all the coaches lounge around eating ice cream and watching their stories on tv
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocB killin it!! Tellin' it like it is.
Ten days out from Memorial Day
and the lacrosse talk is DOLOs.
Ouch.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

I have no idea if this is true but I was told the men’s lacrosse team had a full time admin assistant in addition to the DOLO. I was also told this position was eliminated last year to create a DOLO for the women’s team. I would suggest that a DOLO, admin assistant and possibly more would be required to run a D1 lacrosse program efficiently.
Few students attend games now; so just watch when this gets around. Our new coach (salary $$$) has two assistants (@$$$) and a DOLO to run his errands. Our Coach started his academic career @Gettysburg College in 1999 and graduated with the BS degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Empire State College in 2012. His interregnum doesn't mention the Peace Corps or the Marine Corps or any other way 99.9% of our students might have spent those years.

Initially I thought he was okay because a great leader is able to hire people better than himself and that he did. Now we read his DOLO may need an assistant to find his films.
Sorry, outsider jumping in here... since this is one of the few active threads I've been following it (along with the fact JHU is the main college lax news right now).

This one seems a bit low. Attacking the new HC's background/resume... don't you think Cornell maybe did some due diligence, along with proving he was capable there. Or is it about the $$$... well that's probably one reason he took the job.

Regarding the DOLO, admin's, etc. You ever hear of a budget? Do you think the new HC just came in and started dictating what the new JHU lacrosse budget was going to be? If so, wow, good for him and maybe you have a serious leader on your hands. My guess is the budget was set, DOLO is in there... do you want the new HC to not take advantage of that? His job is to win games and develop young men, whatever advantages he can get to do that (especially ones that are already budgeted) he should take advantage of.

Good luck JHU! Look forward to following the progress.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RumorMill wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Sorry, outsider jumping in here... since this is one of the few active threads I've been following it (along with the fact JHU is the main college lax news right now).

This one seems a bit low. Attacking the new HC's background/resume... don't you think Cornell maybe did some due diligence, along with proving he was capable there. Or is it about the $$$... well that's probably one reason he took the job.

Regarding the DOLO, admin's, etc. You ever hear of a budget? Do you think the new HC just came in and started dictating what the new JHU lacrosse budget was going to be? If so, wow, good for him and maybe you have a serious leader on your hands. My guess is the budget was set, DOLO is in there... do you want the new HC to not take advantage of that? His job is to win games and develop young men, whatever advantages he can get to do that (especially ones that are already budgeted) he should take advantage of.

Good luck JHU! Look forward to following the progress.
this guy is a clown show until he tells his perspective.
why he cares (or has to pay for?) the coaches at jhu.
anything else is... what they say, trolling?

edit: i've been guilty, but always worth it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Hopkins pulled in $2.4 Billion, that's with a letter B, from the Federal Government last year. That's in 12 months, folks.

The entire Lacrosse Budget can be found in the sofa cushions. You're good.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Talking DOLO's all day today on here :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hop thread for life.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

I find it amusing that this forum can squeeze two pages out of an ad for a Director of Lacrosse Operations. We've spent too much time in the study/man cave.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:40 pm I wouldn't want that job - I've never seen a job description with 29 definitive responsibilities plus the catch all "whatever the head coach wants"
Ever tried to arrange lodging/meals/transpo for 60 plus people - I had to approximate that task once - it was awful and took forever. Then you have JGJR coming down the hall "Hey Schmidlap, got the individual films on the UNC defensemen yet?" Need those before you leave. Each one of those tasks while by themselves seem somewhat menial many of them require alot of time and dealing with alot of people. And as we all know - people suck. No thanks.
Whatver they pay him or her - likely not enough.
Ever notice that the need for a DOLO ramped up after one great person, Kathleen Wisner, had to leave?

Yeah. Now pay two instead of one who was very appreciated by many, but not supported from above when she (and a family member) should have been.

There was a prior Game Day Operations person - I forgot her name. But that was mostly game day for ALL Hopkins events at JHU.

But, now a separate DOLO.

Long live Kathleen! A true superhero!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Probably a good chance it'll hit three pages.
If Hop hired Lo Lo Jones, she could be DOLO Lo Lo.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 pm

This is one of the strangest series of posts I've seen on this forum.
Seriously. On the positive side, though: I guess we finally answered the question of "Who, exactly, actually wants Hopkins to be a D3 program?":
swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:58 am We have an athletics dept. staff. Can't the tasks be split among them and our two assistant coaches?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:09 pm Probably a good chance it'll hit three pages.
If Hop hired Lo Lo Jones, she could be DOLO Lo Lo.
Ok ... that actually makes sense. Solid work, DMac.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

Then if she got fired, she'd be DOLO no mo'.
We need a lacrosse season. :?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Watch the SimBracket!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:59 pm Hopkins pulled in $2.4 Billion, that's with a letter B, from the Federal Government last year. That's in 12 months, folks.

The entire Lacrosse Budget can be found in the sofa cushions. You're good.
I assume you are joking, but just in case, the big hitters are:
- The Applied Physics Lab (DoD, and in my day, almost entirely the USN). It is similar to the JPL and Lincoln Labs, but I know the APL rolled its grants to JH, while I am not sure about Cal Tech or MIT. If the APL is not competitive, the DoD has may other options.
- The Med School (back in the day that included the School of Hygiene and Public Health, since renamed). almost all for medical research. Yes, much of it is funded either directly by the Feds, or indirectly through organizations like the WHO. Again, there is plenty of competition for research grants.
- The Hospital, which bills for procedures, no differently from any other hospital. I would not be surprised if ordinary patients in East Baltimore with Medicare and Medicaid (administered by the States anyway) are a higher percentage than (say) at Mayo in Rochester, Minn.

If the $2.4B includes Federal Financial Aid, that goes to the student, who, if he transfers to (say) Syracuse, that Aid will follow.

Now, while grant proposals are competitive, all non-profits allocate "Overhead", across all the proposals, as well as other operating units. There was a scandal some years back when a California school put the entire Office of the President (or similar) into overhead, and it turned out that a yacht was part of the office. I know for a fact that the East Baltimore Campus (Med School and Hospital) pushed back at including the main library (at Homewood) in their overhead, and while I do not know how it turned out, that makes it hard to believe that undergraduate athletics made it into overhead.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Can’t wait to hear talk about DOLO’s on the next Inside Lacrosse podcast :lol:
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Steele Stanwick for DOLO!
swf

Post by swf »

Seriously. On the positive side, though: I guess we finally answered the question of "Who, exactly, actually wants Hopkins to be a D3 program?":
Since we’re on the subject; why is O’Branski being replaced?

In college lax he was a team captain; played on two undefeated NC teams; helped coach another two NC teams; has a BA and MA from a university lax fans recognize; was trained by two HoF coaches, Jim Berkman and Petro; and I’m not aware of any complaints about his performance from either the men’s or ladies’ sides.

Yeah there is D 3 in there but our new coach has the same stripes.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 am Steele Stanwick for DOLO!
If he wants to break into the Men’s D1 coaching ranks this gopher job would be perfect for him
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

swf wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 am
Since we’re on the subject; why is O’Branski being replaced?

In college lax he was a team captain; played on two undefeated NC teams; helped coach another two NC teams; has a BA and MA from a university lax fans recognize; was trained by two HoF coaches, Jim Berkman and Petro; and I’m not aware of any complaints about his performance from either the men’s or ladies’ sides.

Yeah there is D 3 in there but our new coach has the same stripes.
He said get your own damn coffee and walked out
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:30 pm
Petro had a DOLO. His name was O’Branski. He also worked for Janine Tucker and the women. I’m guessing the new DOLO will be directing lacrosse operations for both the men’s and women’s teams. Does it make you feel any better that the position will do double duty? I’m sure the new DOLO will have more than enough to do while all the coaches lounge around eating ice cream and watching their stories on tv
I think they should have 5 DOLOs and 10 volunteer assistants.
Whoever made the rule limiting volunteer assistants? That really hurt HOP a lot. Deliberate I'm sure.
What does the NCAA care how many volunteer assistants we have? Pure nonsense.
Basketball teams have a coach for every player just about. Why is LAX limited to 3 coaches when rosters are pushing 60?
BS BS BS.
Just win baby.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”