All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:30 pm
calourie wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:58 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:57 pm
a fan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:57 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:51 pm American culture has handled a pandemic.
Protesters, and more than a few posters here would vehemently disagree with this view.
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:51 pm We're changing quite markedly as we post here. Curbside pickup, delivery becoming the norm. People working from home, entirely. Businesses choosing to shutter and limit servfices to help slow the spread. Lots of people wearing masks. 2 months in seclusion for most- and counting!

Never would have believed those changes occurred 4 months ago.

Without trying to be too cold-hearted, unfortunately, I'm sure health professions get the flu each year, and some may die due to stubbornness too.I'ts a shame, really. but I chose the job field I'm in. As did you, afan. We all knew the risks associated.
You're not being cold hearted. Again, there is no right answer as to how and when to reopen.
I know this sounds simple, but I think people will choose themselves. They will choose to come out of seclusion as the govs allow, and how big the pull is from our desire to enjoy the weather, events, surroundings and normalcy. Hogan lifted some restrictions here in MD (starting in 3 hours). If people enjoy the weather this weekend in MD, and don't come down with Corona, they will have short memories. You'll be hard pressed to get people to stay quarantined for the the rest of the summer unless there's a major outbreak that people see at least anecdotally.

This might be good for the Dems, if another wave hits in the fall before election day.
I would think the trends from the relaxing of social distancing would manifest themselves three weeks or so after the opening up in any given state. Some states have been relaxing since May 5, so according to my humble analysis I would expect to have to compare the new hospitalizations and mortality trends starting in about a week for those states, and three weeks from now for the states opening up today. Out here in California, our town just opened up and I'd say we are seeing 3 to four times the traffic we have been, and will likely get even busier in the next 3 weeks, so we will get a pretty good sense of how much, if any, difference the distancing might have made, at least over the short haul.
The danger zone is into September when you will start to see the virus ramp back up... by the time we get to October and anyone notices, the virus will have been dispersed far wider than it was with this initial outbreak. The solution is not to curtail re-engaging society.... but too keep significant clamps or re-institute mitigation efforts in the last week of August. Something between where we are and where we are going. Unless a miracle occurs, I see the economy seizing up in the late fall into the Spring. Christmas will be bleak. I favor taking the medicine now.
What leads you to believe Sept/Oct? If the virus only has a short life expectancy while airborne or on the objects. Is you argument that early Fall is when a 2nd wave ramps up from the herd?
Nothing more than people more likely to be inside versus outside in different areas of the country. I don’t know what you mean by ramp up from the herd. It’s going to be spread by people like it is now, unless something changes.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

unless you guys haven't noticed, i'm not a doctor. however, i suggest everyone that cares to take the time over this weekend and read the following on vitamin d. i put it in the "can't hurt, whaddaya got to lose? take it." category.
as a lot of these preprints suggest, there's a lot that's not known or explained re: how the virus has acted, affected different classes and ethnicities of people, regions, etc.
some of what we're finding is just weird. i.e. in the preprint, this study mentions several times a homeless shelter where 147 people had covid, and were asymptomatic (i've mentioned this a ways back). could suggest several things, but one the study is investigating... vitamin d.. is in large supply even in boston in the wintertime for those that are outside and homeless. and maybe? built up in their persons, even for a group that is otherwise not in A+ medical form nor has access to great care.

they're investigating how deficiency in vitamin d may be related to the severe cases of corona. for some reason in this study, they don't take a very large sample size. anyway, there's probably larger and more accurate studies coming. vitamin d deficiency shares a lot of the same traits and targets as covid-19. i.e. approx 40% of the US adults are vitamin D deficien, but hispanic 69%, african american 82%. also, italy, spain and greece of vdi levels of 70-90%, while scandinavian countries 15-30% (lots of fatty fish).

getting sun is one very easy way to boost yours. diet and supplements are another. recommended IU daily levels are not high though recommended levels in diet/supplement may run many fold higher than minimums until you start "overdosing" on vitamin d.

anyway, my PSA for the day, adjust your habit(s) and intake as you see fit:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20075838v1
click on preview pdf to see the full doc of study.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:13 pm unless you guys haven't noticed, i'm not a doctor. however, i suggest everyone that cares to take the time over this weekend and read the following on vitamin d. i put it in the "can't hurt, whaddaya got to lose? take it." category.
as a lot of these preprints suggest, there's a lot that's not known or explained re: how the virus has acted, affected different classes and ethnicities of people, regions, etc.
some of what we're finding is just weird. i.e. in the preprint, this study mentions several times a homeless shelter where 147 people had covid, and were asymptomatic (i've mentioned this a ways back). could suggest several things, but one the study is investigating... vitamin d.. is in large supply even in boston in the wintertime for those that are outside and homeless. and maybe? built up in their persons, even for a group that is otherwise not in A+ medical form nor has access to great care.

they're investigating how deficiency in vitamin d may be related to the severe cases of corona. for some reason in this study, they don't take a very large sample size. anyway, there's probably larger and more accurate studies coming. vitamin d deficiency shares a lot of the same traits and targets as covid-19. i.e. approx 40% of the US adults are vitamin D deficien, but hispanic 69%, african american 82%. also, italy, spain and greece of vdi levels of 70-90%, while scandinavian countries 15-30% (lots of fatty fish).

getting sun is one very easy way to boost yours. diet and supplements are another. recommended IU daily levels are not high though recommended levels in diet/supplement may run many fold higher than minimums until you start "overdosing" on vitamin d.

Vitamin D supplementation in general may very well have some health benefits anyway. From the Mayo Clinic website discussion on supplements of D:
Recommendations for how much daily vitamin D adults need through diet have changed over the years. Currently, different recommendations exist. The Institute of Medicine has placed the recommended dietary allowance, or RDA, for vitamin D at 600 international units (IU) per day for young adults and 800 IU per day for adults older than 70. Other experts suggest that adults’ vitamin D needs are much higher.

While getting too little vitamin D is associated with adverse health effects, getting too much vitamin D also can lead to problems. For this reason, large doses aren't recommended unless someone has a condition, such as having had gastric bypass surgery, in which it is challenging to obtain recommended amounts.

Mayo Clinic recommends that adults get at least the RDA of 600 IU. However, 1,000 to 2,000 IU per day of vitamin D from a supplement is generally safe, should help people achieve an adequate blood level of vitamin D, and may have additional health benefits. While there are no guidelines for checking your vitamin D blood level, it may be prudent in people with osteoporosis or certain other health conditions. Discuss with your health care provider if it may be beneficial to check your vitamin D level.

If you have ongoing health concerns or a chronic health condition, talk to your health care provider before you begin taking any dietary supplement, including vitamin D. He or she can help you decide if supplements are appropriate for your situation.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:01 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:13 pm unless you guys haven't noticed, i'm not a doctor. however, i suggest everyone that cares to take the time over this weekend and read the following on vitamin d. i put it in the "can't hurt, whaddaya got to lose? take it." category.

Vitamin D supplementation in general may very well have some health benefits anyway. From the Mayo Clinic website discussion on supplements of D:
Recommendations for how much daily vitamin D adults need through diet have changed over the years. Currently, different recommendations exist. The Institute of Medicine has placed the recommended dietary allowance, or RDA, for vitamin D at 600 international units (IU) per day for young adults and 800 IU per day for adults older than 70. Other experts suggest that adults’ vitamin D needs are much higher.

While getting too little vitamin D is associated with adverse health effects, getting too much vitamin D also can lead to problems. For this reason, large doses aren't recommended unless someone has a condition, such as having had gastric bypass surgery, in which it is challenging to obtain recommended amounts.

Mayo Clinic recommends that adults get at least the RDA of 600 IU. However, 1,000 to 2,000 IU per day of vitamin D from a supplement is generally safe, should help people achieve an adequate blood level of vitamin D, and may have additional health benefits. While there are no guidelines for checking your vitamin D blood level, it may be prudent in people with osteoporosis or certain other health conditions. Discuss with your health care provider if it may be beneficial to check your vitamin D level.

If you have ongoing health concerns or a chronic health condition, talk to your health care provider before you begin taking any dietary supplement, including vitamin D. He or she can help you decide if supplements are appropriate for your situation.
Vitamin D is a big deal and the best way to get it is sunshine. We have rarely missed a family walk since this began. One of the supposed benefits is that it helps with depression.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I have been taking vitamin D for a few months. A physician later told me many men in the northeast have a vitamin D deficiency.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:57 pm
a fan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:57 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:51 pm American culture has handled a pandemic.
Protesters, and more than a few posters here would vehemently disagree with this view.
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:51 pm We're changing quite markedly as we post here. Curbside pickup, delivery becoming the norm. People working from home, entirely. Businesses choosing to shutter and limit servfices to help slow the spread. Lots of people wearing masks. 2 months in seclusion for most- and counting!

Never would have believed those changes occurred 4 months ago.

Without trying to be too cold-hearted, unfortunately, I'm sure health professions get the flu each year, and some may die due to stubbornness too.I'ts a shame, really. but I chose the job field I'm in. As did you, afan. We all knew the risks associated.
You're not being cold hearted. Again, there is no right answer as to how and when to reopen.
I know this sounds simple, but I think people will choose themselves. They will choose to come out of seclusion as the govs allow, and how big the pull is from our desire to enjoy the weather, events, surroundings and normalcy. Hogan lifted some restrictions here in MD (starting in 3 hours). If people enjoy the weather this weekend in MD, and don't come down with Corona, they will have short memories. You'll be hard pressed to get people to stay quarantined for the the rest of the summer unless there's a major outbreak that people see at least anecdotally.

This might be good for the Dems, if another wave hits in the fall before election day.
God, let's hope that doesn't happen.

But it's indeed likely.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:38 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Vitamin D is a big deal and the best way to get it is sunshine. We have rarely missed a family walk since this began. One of the supposed benefits is that it helps with depression.
True.
Sunshine helps with D (not sunburn), and of course fresh air and exercise do wonders for mood.
Eating well matters a ton too...avoid the inflammatory foods, eat a dense nutritious, varied diet. Good news is that'll help with weight, heart risk, diabetes risk, cancer risk, and more too.
MDlaxfan76

Re: COVID-19 and food supply

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76

Re: This ain't the flu

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Worth watching this video on Covid-19's impact on various organs...note, it's not all about dying.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/health/w ... peditorial
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

We are so screwed.

“I remember, when you were down
And you needed a helping hand
I came to feed you
But now that I need you
You won't give me a second glance
Now I'm calling all citizens from all over the world
This is captain America calling
I bailed you out when you were down on your knees
So will you catch me now I'm falling
Help me now I'm calling you
Catch me now I'm falling
I'm in your hands, it's up to you
Catch me now I'm falling”

— the Kinks

So who’s going to catch us??
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

JaredCo Enterprises
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Health authorities in Colorado caught over reporting Covid deaths. I wonder how many other states are doing the same?

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/05/14/ ... vid-death/

Let’s go back to work folks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:35 am Health authorities in Colorado caught over reporting Covid deaths. I wonder how many other states are doing the same?

The coroner Deavers may well be correct that this particular death was due to blood alcohol level, with cirrhosis of the liver, was the cause of death, not Covid. Of course, Covid impacts whatever compromised organs one already has, worsening outcomes...so, key question would be whether the coroner accurately measured the blood alcohol level, did the guy actually have "twice the lethal" level. If so, coroner is right.

On the other hand, the coroner's political statements do raise the question as to his agenda, and, unfortunately therefore, his measurement.

My bet would be on the coroner being correct. There will be misdiagnoses.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:43 pm Can you imagine if Florida had actually turned out bad? As it was, even some here kept screaming 'but the Florida beaches waaaaaaaahhhhh'.

So as it turns out, that hero to many Andrew Cuomo did a real dishonest no-no which would be bazooka bananas on the front page of every MSM vessel right now, but instead, we have an intrepid reporter at The Daily Caller who gets the scoop.

The New York State Department of Health acknowledged that its recent reporting does not fully reflect the known carnage coronavirus has caused among nursing home and adult care residents.

The NYSDOH told the DCNF its disclosure now only reports coronavirus deaths for long-term care patients that died while physically present at their facility.

New York’s coronavirus tracker “currently does not include out of facility deaths,” NYSDOH spokeswoman Jill Montag told the DCNF. “Deaths of nursing home and adult care facility residents that occurred at hospitals is accounted for in the overall fatality data on our COVID-19 tracker.”

Since May 3rd!!! Now why tf would Cuomo do that? I just can't think of any reason... :roll:

Cuomo is such a hero, right?

https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/15/new- ... rcounting/
King Andy is the same person he has always been. He put on a great media show for the King who wants to be POTUS. The fawning masses in MM fell for the act hook, line and sinker.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:23 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:35 am Health authorities in Colorado caught over reporting Covid deaths. I wonder how many other states are doing the same?

The coroner Deavers may well be correct that this particular death was due to blood alcohol level, with cirrhosis of the liver, was the cause of death, not Covid. Of course, Covid impacts whatever compromised organs one already has, worsening outcomes...so, key question would be whether the coroner accurately measured the blood alcohol level, did the guy actually have "twice the lethal" level. If so, coroner is right.

On the other hand, the coroner's political statements do raise the question as to his agenda, and, unfortunately therefore, his measurement.

"There will be misdiagnoses.'
You have to wonder realistically what that # is.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

calm down.jpg
calm down.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 787 times
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

6ftstick wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:52 amcalm down.jpg
A little more fascist insanity

https://nypost.com/2020/05/15/human-par ... -d4EDf_ZLo
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:23 am

"There will be misdiagnoses.'
You have to wonder realistically what that # is.
Tiny. But it will happen.

There will be far more deaths in the category of died of heart attack or other organ failure, but never tested for Covid.

Many if not most of the flu related estimated deaths are calculated from various assumptions, not necessarily direct testing. The statisticians will undoubtedly look at death rates of undiagnosed patients compared to 'normal' statistics and make some sort of educated guess...but that's typically done in arrears, so that's more of a 'catch-up' calculation than the ones being recorded in real time. China added 50% to their Wuhan tally in a look back....that actually still probably undercounted, as they were so overwhelmed initially that any sort of count may well be way, way off.

But this is a case (in the article) where another factor could very well explain the death independent of any compromise by Covid...tough to know for sure as Covid does impact otherwise compromised organs, so if they fail, it may well be partly Covid.. But huge drinking can do it quite independently, so toss up call.

But out of the 88k so far recorded?
Tiny % incorrect. Lots of undiagnosed.

We also don't know what the after effects a recovered patient may have over time, damaged organs, etc. We're already seeing this strange after effect in a growing # of children (still tiny %), in some cases well after likely infection and recovery. Hard to tell what may happen longer term.

Right now, the models are showing close to 150k deaths by end of summer. Hard to tell whether summer, sun and more outdoors, will slow it down more, but not so far. Hope so and it may at least help on the margins.

However, if the virus doesn't mutate to be less lethal, we're looking at multiple hundreds of thousands before this is done (we may be able to moderate actual deaths, but severe cases will continue). And that's with most of us trying hard to physically distance, wear masks, etc. But if we get complacent, we're back to millions, with overwhelmed health system, food supply breakdown, etc.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:57 am
A little more fascist insanity

https://nypost.com/2020/05/15/human-par ... -d4EDf_ZLo
ohhh, the horror of physical distancing...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

fascism noun

fas·​cism | \ ˈfa-ˌshi-zəm also ˈfa-ˌsi- \
Definition of fascism
1 often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2 : a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control
early instances of army fascism and brutality
— J. W. Aldridge

Return to “POLITICS”