Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by faircornell »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:19 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 pm Cornell has a DOLO. My impression is that the function really helps take the administrative burden off the coaches, and helps handle a lot of important details. Also, it's another addition to a leadership team that helps maintain stability.

A lot of exciting infrastructure being put in place at JHU.
Cornell has a DOLO?

Is he/she a good one? Experienced? Does he/she like eating fresh crab? Just curious ....

DocBarrister ;)
😂😂😂 .... Isn't there a rule that you need more Hopkins people than former Cornell people on staff?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I see DOLO and think of a five letter word, starting with D, ends in O.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 am I see DOLO and think of a five letter word, starting with D, ends in O.
dingo, dumbo.
swf

Post by swf »

DocBarrister » Thu May 14, 2020 2:30 pm

EasyRider wrote: ↑
Thu May 14, 2020 2:22 pm
Posting today for the Director of Ops position: https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/135978 ... oordinator

Does anyone know if Tim O'Branski might be back?

That’s a lot of responsibility requiring a broad set of skills.
We read about administrative bloat at universities; and isn't our school laying off people? The assistant coaches are intelligent men. Couldn't they handle this?
DMac

Post by DMac »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:49 am I see DOLO and think of a five letter word, starting with D, ends in O.
There was mention earlier of hopes that the new coach might bring in some Canadian recruits, is that what you're getting at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i62RnsIQHM
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:34 am

Posting today for the Director of Ops position: https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/135978 ... oordinator

We read about administrative bloat at universities; and isn't our school laying off people? The assistant coaches are intelligent men. Couldn't they handle this?
A director of lacrosse operations is not just some unnecessary luxury. Every program that takes itself seriously has one, or an equivalent role with a different title.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:20 am

A director of lacrosse operations is not just some unnecessary luxury. Every program that takes itself seriously has one, or an equivalent role with a different title.
Besides, who’s goin’ to order the finger sandwiches and rose-scented tea when the big donors come visiting the Cordish Center :?:

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

How much time and effort does it take to handle all those responsibilities well? It's not a glorified team manager job.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:11 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:34 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Schnydman and Brody no longer being on campus is not at all the same thing as what some people here were saying. It was complete, existential hand-wringing over the future of the program—predictions we'd drop down to D3, accusations that the new admin didn't care about the sport at all or were somehow trying to undermine/deprioritize/make it actively worse at every turn, assertions that they couldn't get any recruits they wanted in the door and that moving forward no one would want to come to Homewood anyway. They never made any sense then, and continue look ridiculous now. The AD is a lacrosse person, her boss the provost and former AD is a lacrosse person, and there are still lots and lots of wealthy/influential alums whom I'm sure had great relationships with Petro and were sad to see him leave but at the end of the day, their ultimate loyalty is not to any one person but to the Blue Jay shield. A turning ship is not necessarily a sinking one. In fact you could argue they've avoided the iceberg and from here on out it'll be smoother sailing.
Daniels has his own hire in Shanahan. Baker is Shanahan’s and Milliman is Baker’s. I think the admin was always going to support lacrosse, just not Petro.
This administration has their own recruits now, so to speak. Let’s see what they can do.
Johns Hopkins is making these hires even as the university faces a $100 million budget deficit and President Daniels himself takes a 20% pay cut.

If you want to see a different approach, take a look at the distinguished Cornell program.

I think it’s fair to say that Johns Hopkins remains absolutely committed to excellence in lacrosse.

All three recent hires were “platinum level” hires.

I think we can put to rest the argument that President Daniels doesn’t support the lacrosse program. Defer to others about Coach Petro.

DocBarrister
:lol: President Daniels, supports President Daniels.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Probably a $25k/year job. they're spending $20 million to redo a perfectly good rec center 5 feet from clc they built 20 years ago. You postpone buying a few exercise machines boom. we have a dolo. Looking forward to the public questions for milliman tomorrow to see which get asked and which larossa takes. half hour seems way too short.
laxphan16

Post by laxphan16 »

DOLO at a place like JHU, PSU, MICH, OSU, MD, RUT more like a $50,000-$60,000K job and absolutely critical if you are serious about lacrosse. Can a coaching staff handle this stuff on their own? Yes. Do you want them to if you are serious about winning? No. Most of the duties of a DOLO are time consuming busy work. Time a coach can use to better prepare himself his staff and his players for the day/week/month ahead. Additionally, If you look across the D1 staffs, more than 70% of programs have DOLO's who played the game and may want to coach in the near future and took DOLO position as foot in the door. Tim O'Branski despite the fact that he has been at JHU for a while wants to be a Coach not a DOLO for the rest of his life. Trust me.
swf

Post by swf »

We have an athletics dept. staff. Can't the tasks be split among them and our two assistant coaches? Aside from practice/games how do our our assistants spend their time? I mean these are intelligent men and we're not talking advanced physics.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

During his time at Cornell, Milliman stood out as someone who recruited a bit differently relative to his peers. He's super focused on recruiting players that fit his program's identity rather than becoming enamored by the well-known names, and probably couldn't care less about Young Gun rankings or club affiliations. Signing the right players rather than the best players is often a recipe for success and is a strategy that Milliman employs, in some ways similar to Andy Shay and Yale's recruiting over the past decade. To me, Milliman has certainly shown that he can attract blue-chip talent, but he's also great at finding players from off the beaten path and maximizing their skill sets when the time comes.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... taff/56415

I'm not smart enough to know how the current recruits/players fit w/what milliman/grant/jamison have done in the past+how their systems are different from what petro was doing, and which kids aren't going to fit anymore. But that line stuck.

Michigan has a video coordinator for lax and a dolo. I'm sure the b1g schools w/all that football cash have a lot more folks working directly or indirectly to support the program than we do.
https://mgoblue.com/sports/2017/6/16/st ... alpha.aspx
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I wouldn't want that job - I've never seen a job description with 29 definitive responsibilities plus the catch all "whatever the head coach wants"
Ever tried to arrange lodging/meals/transpo for 60 plus people - I had to approximate that task once - it was awful and took forever. Then you have JGJR coming down the hall "Hey Schmidlap, got the individual films on the UNC defensemen yet?" Need those before you leave. Each one of those tasks while by themselves seem somewhat menial many of them require alot of time and dealing with alot of people. And as we all know - people suck. No thanks.
Whatver they pay him or her - likely not enough.
swf

Post by swf »

51percentcorn » Fri May 15, 2020 12:40 pm
.... Then you have JGJR coming down the hall "Hey Schmidlap, got the individual films on the UNC defensemen yet?" Need those before you leave.
And how much are we paying JGJR to watch individual films on the UNC defensemen that he can't manage to fetch for himself?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:59 pm And how much are we paying JGJR to watch individual films on the UNC defensemen that he can't manage to fetch for himself?
swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:58 am Can't the tasks be split among them and our two assistant coaches?
This continues to be a very bizarre bone to pick. Not sure how many more times it needs to be explained that the answer to the question above is "no."

You might find this shocking but coaches have coaching to do. Recruiting, game-planning, alumni relations, scheduling, roster management—each one of these things can sometimes be a full-time job in itself. Major programs need significant logistical support. It's actually kind of amazing that only one guy handles all of the DOLO's responsibilities.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:11 pm
swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:59 pm And how much are we paying JGJR to watch individual films on the UNC defensemen that he can't manage to fetch for himself?
swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:58 am Can't the tasks be split among them and our two assistant coaches?
This continues to be a very bizarre bone to pick. Not sure how many more times it needs to be explained that the answer to the question above is "no."

You might find this shocking but coaches have coaching to do. Recruiting, game-planning, alumni relations, scheduling, roster management—each one of these things can sometimes be a full-time job in itself. Major programs need significant logistical support. It's actually kind of amazing that only one guy handles all of the DOLO's responsibilities.
I have no idea if this is true but I was told the men’s lacrosse team had a full time admin assistant in addition to the DOLO. I was also told this position was eliminated last year to create a DOLO for the women’s team. I would suggest that a DOLO, admin assistant and possibly more would be required to run a D1 lacrosse program efficiently.
swf

Post by swf »

I have no idea if this is true but I was told the men’s lacrosse team had a full time admin assistant in addition to the DOLO. I was also told this position was eliminated last year to create a DOLO for the women’s team. I would suggest that a DOLO, admin assistant and possibly more would be required to run a D1 lacrosse program efficiently.
Few students attend games now; so just watch when this gets around. Our new coach (salary $$$) has two assistants (@$$$) and a DOLO to run his errands. Our Coach started his academic career @Gettysburg College in 1999 and graduated with the BS degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Empire State College in 2012. His interregnum doesn't mention the Peace Corps or the Marine Corps or any other way 99.9% of our students might have spent those years.

Initially I thought he was okay because a great leader is able to hire people better than himself and that he did. Now we read his DOLO may need an assistant to find his films.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 pm
Few students attend games now; so just watch when this gets around. Our new coach (salary $$$) has two assistants (@$$$) and a DOLO to run his errands. Our Coach started his academic career @Gettysburg College in 1999 and graduated with the BS degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from Empire State College in 2012. His interregnum doesn't mention the Peace Corps or the Marine Corps or any other way 99.9% of our students might have spent those years.

Initially I thought he was okay because a great leader is able to hire people better than himself and that he did. Now we read his DOLO may need an assistant to find his films.
This is one of the strangest series of posts I've seen on this forum. Take your weirdly ill-informed complaint to John Tillman, Andy Shay, Lars Tiffany, Bill Tierney, Joe Breschi, Jeff Tambroni, and virtually every head coach of a serious D1 lacrosse program because they all have DOLOs too.
DocBarrister

We Ain’t Southwest Airlines

Post by DocBarrister »

swf wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 pm

Look ... Johns Hopkins Lacrosse ain’t the “Southwest Airlines” of the lacrosse world. None of that below-economy level trash with no assigned seats and no food available for purchase. :roll:

No, Hopkins Lacrosse is First Class all the way ... mimosas before takeoff ... a hot towel ... warmed roasted nuts ... unlimited selections from the snack basket ... a real hot meal with real silverware ... a frozen dessert ... ample leg room with a leg rest ... and the occasional beautiful broadcaster celebrity sitting next to you who steals one of your two glasses of tonic water because she just awoke from a nap and is thirsty and isn’t going to take “no” for an answer (true story).

So, bottom line: Hopkins is gettin’ a DOLO.

Leave it to other programs to go economy.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”