All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

calourie

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by calourie »

6ftstick wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am
ggait wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:22 am
Compare us to the 5 largest governments in Europe to have an equivalent population to the US similar land mass and freedom of societal norms. We have fewer than half the number of deaths.

Tell us all again how we've failed.
Six -- let's have this discussion with the actual data attached? Crazy concept, I know. As I've said numerous times before, we are not the worst, but far from the best.

Deaths per million pop; pop density per mile:

Spain 584; 241
Italy 514; 518
UK 495; 725
France 415; 319
Sweden 349; 60
USA 258; 87
Canada 140; 10
Germany 94; 603
Denmark 93; 350
Austria 70; 275
Norway 43; 44
Japan 5; 862
SK 5; 1339
Australia 4; 9
NZ 4; 48

National pop densities can be somewhat misleading for this purpose, since they get skewed by including vast unpopulated areas (Australian Outback, Yukon Territory). Given our pop density, we have little to write home about. And neither does Sweden. But Germany definitely does!

But to be fair, the NYC/NJ metro area is highly dense and (no surprise) that's where our cases/deaths are concentrated.
328 million people 83,000 deaths——does not equal 258/million
Actually it does. Basic math: 328 to 87000= 1 to 257 (the product of the means equals the product of the extremes) Which is to say 87000 divided by 328= 257 . Put another way: to arrive at 1 million from 328 million you have to divide by 328, so you have to do the same for the 87000 to figure the deaths / 1 million.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

njbill wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:13 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 am On the planet more than 4.3 million have been infected and about 295,000 have died.

0.06860 Mortality.

So globally 99.93 survive.
Your 99.93 figure is incorrect. (The “99” doesn’t belong.) Using your global numbers (4.3 million and 295,000), they produce a (rounded) mortality rate of 7%. That means for every 100 people, 7 die and 93 survive.
He doesn’t realize 0.0686 = 6.86%, not .0686%
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

If Mark Twain could chime in he would repeat his quote of lies, damn lies and statistics. If this virus means nothing more than how many people are going to die according to certain calculations, then our humanity is circling the drain. Everybody here expands more energy trying to blame some one or something. None of that matters at this point. The only thing that matters is finding a vaccine. While we are waiting for that vaccine we can all just find people to blame and keep adjusting our calculations and redoing the math.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:58 am If Mark Twain could chime in he would repeat his quote of lies, damn lies and statistics. If this virus means nothing more than how many people are going to die according to certain calculations, then our humanity is circling the drain. Everybody here expands more energy trying to blame some one or something. None of that matters at this point. The only thing that matters is finding a vaccine. While we are waiting for that vaccine we can all just find people to blame and keep adjusting our calculations and redoing the math.
My favorite....it’s easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled.
“I wish you would!”
calourie

Post by calourie »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:58 am If Mark Twain could chime in he would repeat his quote of lies, damn lies and statistics. If this virus means nothing more than how many people are going to die according to certain calculations, then our humanity is circling the drain. Everybody here expands more energy trying to blame some one or something. None of that matters at this point. The only thing that matters is finding a vaccine. While we are waiting for that vaccine we can all just find people to blame and keep adjusting our calculations and redoing the math.
Statistics can actually play a fairly significant role in tracking the effectiveness or not of behavioral as well as political choices. At the very least they can often provide starting points for discussion regarding those choices. In that we are likely months away from a vaccine for Covid, we are probably limited to making current and future choices until that time according to our assessment of the trends that the statistics reveal. In order for statistics to be meaningful an effort must be made to assure the numbers are accurate.
Last edited by calourie on Thu May 14, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:03 am
My favorite....it’s easier to fool people than it is to convince people that they have been fooled.
Not to mention that although Twain said it, he incorrectly attributed its origin to Benjamin Disraeli. Mr. Clemens certainly wasn't infallible. ;)

On this subject, I prefer Robert Giffen, assistant editor at The Economist and President of the Statistical Society from 1882 to 1884, who was a further early writer to have connected the expression regarding statistics to the expression regarding experts. Writing in the Economic Journal in 1892, he stated:

"An old jest runs to the effect that there are three degrees of comparison among liars. There are liars, there are outrageous liars, and there are scientific experts. This has lately been adapted to throw dirt upon statistics. There are three degrees of comparison, it is said, in lying. There are lies, there are outrageous lies, and there are statistics."
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

From Germany on how to do SD at an outdoor cafe:
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (159.2 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

calourie wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:10 am
Statistics can actually play a fairly significant role in tracking the effectiveness or not of behavioral as well as political choices. At the very least they can often provide starting points for discussion regarding those choices. In that we are likely months away from a vaccine for Covid, we are probably limited to making current and future choices until that time according to our assessment of the trends that the statistics reveal.
I understand your point. Every time I see a news report about the virus there are reports and statistics and analysis that are all over the spectrum. It just becomes very monotonous to the average person after awhile. There has to be a line to what information is relevant and useful and when it just becomes tedious and boring. These statistics are there on the TV screen 24/7 and they lose their effectiveness after awhile.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:13 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:03 am
Not to mention that although Twain said it, he incorrectly attributed its origin to Benjamin Disraeli. Mr. Clemens certainly wasn't infallible. ;)

On this subject, I prefer Robert Giffen, assistant editor at The Economist and President of the Statistical Society from 1882 to 1884, who was a further early writer to have connected the expression regarding statistics to the expression regarding experts. Writing in the Economic Journal in 1892, he stated:

"An old jest runs to the effect that there are three degrees of comparison among liars. There are liars, there are outrageous liars, and there are scientific experts. This has lately been adapted to throw dirt upon statistics. There are three degrees of comparison, it is said, in lying. There are lies, there are outrageous lies, and there are statistics."
I always learn something knew on this forum everyday.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Dr. Bright is a stud.
A geeky stud, but stud nevertheless...
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

calourie wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am
ggait wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:22 am
Compare us to the 5 largest governments in Europe to have an equivalent population to the US similar land mass and freedom of societal norms. We have fewer than half the number of deaths.

Tell us all again how we've failed.
Six -- let's have this discussion with the actual data attached? Crazy concept, I know. As I've said numerous times before, we are not the worst, but far from the best.

Deaths per million pop; pop density per mile:

Spain 584; 241
Italy 514; 518
UK 495; 725
France 415; 319
Sweden 349; 60
USA 258; 87
Canada 140; 10
Germany 94; 603
Denmark 93; 350
Austria 70; 275
Norway 43; 44
Japan 5; 862
SK 5; 1339
Australia 4; 9
NZ 4; 48

National pop densities can be somewhat misleading for this purpose, since they get skewed by including vast unpopulated areas (Australian Outback, Yukon Territory). Given our pop density, we have little to write home about. And neither does Sweden. But Germany definitely does!

But to be fair, the NYC/NJ metro area is highly dense and (no surprise) that's where our cases/deaths are concentrated.
Actually it does. Basic math: 328 to 87000= 1 to 257 (the product of the means equals the product of the extremes) Which is to say 87000 divided by 328= 257 . Put another way: to arrive at 1 million from 328 million you have to divide by 328, so you have to do the same for the 87000 to figure the deaths / 1 million.
Can't be a simple ratio

multiply 83,000 x 258 = 21,400,000 not 328 million
calourie

Post by calourie »

The way you use the numbers has nothing to do with deaths per million. I'm not sure know how to explain it more simply, but I'll try. if you reduce 328 million by a factor of 328 to get it down to one million, you have to reduce the 87,000 by a factor of 328 to find the number per million. Reducing by a factor of 328 requires dividing by 328. 87000 divided by 328 equals 257.
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:28 pm -more time to get our vaccine infrastructure together. If we find a cure, do we have the ability to mass produce the vaccine? I'm betting no. Someone needs to build that infrastructure.
I posted this a few days ago.

And here we are....whoops, we "forgot" to build the infrastructure needed to mass produce a vaccine if we finally find one.

Tells you all you want to know. They are putting alllll their chips on the idea that this virus isn't as deadly as we thought 3 months ago.

Not encouraging.

Dr. Rick Bright told House members that the lack of a plan and strategy in the US on how to make and administer a potential vaccine for coronavirus is a “significant concern.”

“There's no one company that can produce enough for our country or for the world,” Bright told members. “We need to have a strategy and plan in place now to make sure that we can not only fill that vaccine, make it, distribute it, administer it in a fair and equitable plan.”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

a fan wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:57 am
a fan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:28 pm -more time to get our vaccine infrastructure together. If we find a cure, do we have the ability to mass produce the vaccine? I'm betting no. Someone needs to build that infrastructure.
I posted this a few days ago.

And here we are....whoops, we "forgot" to build the infrastructure needed to mass produce a vaccine if we finally find one.

Tells you all you want to know. They are putting alllll their chips on the idea that this virus isn't as deadly as we thought 3 months ago.

Not encouraging.

Dr. Rick Bright told House members that the lack of a plan and strategy in the US on how to make and administer a potential vaccine for coronavirus is a “significant concern.”

“There's no one company that can produce enough for our country or for the world,” Bright told members. “We need to have a strategy and plan in place now to make sure that we can not only fill that vaccine, make it, distribute it, administer it in a fair and equitable plan.”
Now you know why they fired him - just a variation of shoot the messenger and keep acting like nothing's wrong - move along - nothing to see here.
It's how all of the Trump folks and Trump roll. They have been doing it all their lives.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Democrats politicize everything and anything.

If there was any question about the political nature of Rick Bright's testimony today, Debra Katz is Rick Bright's attorney.

Reminder: Debra Katz was Christine Blasey Ford's attorney too.

Stunning that in a city of 100,000 able lawyers, that Ford and Bright end up with the exact same lawyer.

Stunning.

Not.

:roll:

:lol:

You people get played more than anyone in the universe.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:30 am Dr. Bright is a stud.
Interesting that he was not sworn in. Care to comment?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
ggait

Post by ggait »

Six -- you know it is bad when a lawyer is schooling you in math. I actually have a fairly serious case of "lawyer syndrome" (i.e high verbal SAT score; low math score).

83,000 divided by 328 = 253.

253 deaths per each one million of population.

My 256 came from Worldometer.

Eye roll.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

get it to x wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:52 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:30 am Dr. Bright is a stud.
Interesting that he was not sworn in. Care to comment?
He’s lying.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:28 pm Democrats politicize everything and anything.

If there was any question about the political nature of Rick Bright's testimony today, Debra Katz is Rick Bright's attorney.
:lol: So you think we have the infrastructure to make the vaccine, when we get one, en masse?

Care to make a wager on that?

Nope. As usual, all talk with you...
Bart

Post by Bart »

ggait wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:14 pm
Six -- you know it is bad when a lawyer is schooling you in math. I actually have a fairly serious case of "lawyer syndrome" (i.e high verbal SAT score; low math score).

83,000 divided by 328 = 253.

253 deaths per each one million of population.

My 256 came from Worldometer.

Eye roll.
Except that he kept dividing 87000 by 328 and came up with 256........................

Return to “POLITICS”