Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nrthcrosslax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Does entry into the PLL draft confirm a player's intention to not return to school? If so, it seems any hopes of Jeff Teat following PM to JHU are dashed.
MusaCyanocitta

Post by MusaCyanocitta »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:56 am
MusaCyanocitta wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:15 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:18 am ...
It remains sad that Petro isn't the head coach and that he couldn't pull out of the slide. I wish it didn't have to happen. But it did. And the program is in much better shape now than it was 6 weeks ago.
Or so we hope. But we have absolutely no evidence that it's true.

And for those of you idjits who are excited about JGJR just because he was a terrific player, let us not forget that they fired one of the three greatest defensemen ever. Great player != great coach.
I think there's empirical evidence that Milliman and Koesterer can coach. Cornell was #2 this year in Scoring Offense in 2020, while UMBC was #6 in Scoring Defense. Last I checked, scoring is what determines the outcomes of games. Hop was #54 is Scoring Defense while #52 in Scoring Offense. Milliman and Koesterer would certainly appear to be an upgrade.
Well golly gee, the newly hired HC and DC at Johns Hopkins can coach! Stop the presses! Massive upgrade over former staff! If that's your standard for "much better shape" then you win.

And those numbers you cite are pretty convincing. I too like to compare results from a half-dozen games and infer coaching superiority.
Believe whatever you wish, but evidence?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:54 am Does entry into the PLL draft confirm a player's intention to not return to school? If so, it seems any hopes of Jeff Teat following PM to JHU are dashed.
No, not at all. Teat was picked late in the draft—if the league was certain he was leaving college he'd have been picked in the top 3 for sure. Apparently at least some of Cornell's seniors are still trying to figure out if they can return next year. The likelihood that Teat would follow his former coach to Homewood was always pretty slim.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:15 am
51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:45 am How many UA AAs does UMBC have on their roster? Hopkins is loaded with them.
Actually - on defense there are not many on Hopkins' roster and only 1 played. Rapine would have been another but I believe Reinson, Gomez and Marcille are the UA AAs on defense.
LOL Coaches get double, triple, ney quadruple negative points for running off their best defenseman just before the season started.
Hey, wasn't Rapine just drafted by the MLL?
That was a brilliant move by our former staff.
Were they trying to lose to get the number one draft pick or something?
It's really time to put this whole thing to rest. You have NO idea what happened. Had he stayed on the team, he still would not have been a starter this year.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:54 am Does entry into the PLL draft confirm a player's intention to not return to school? If so, it seems any hopes of Jeff Teat following PM to JHU are dashed.
No, not at all. Teat was picked late in the draft—if the league was certain he was leaving college he'd have been picked in the top 3 for sure. Apparently at least some of Cornell's seniors are still trying to figure out if they can return next year. The likelihood that Teat would follow his former coach to Homewood was always pretty slim.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:45 am How many UA AAs does UMBC have on their roster? Hopkins is loaded with them.
Actually - on defense there are not many on Hopkins' roster and only 1 played. Rapine would have been another but I believe Reinson, Gomez and Marcille are the UA AAs on defense.
LOL Coaches get double, triple, ney quadruple negative points for running off their best defenseman just before the season started.
It's really time to put this whole thing to rest. You have NO idea what happened. Had he stayed on the team, he still would not have been a starter this year.
Agree with you on this other guy making silly claims without knowing what happened, but you really think Rapine would not have started had he stayed?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am
Good enough to be drafted as one of the top 14 players coming into the PLL but wouldn’t have been a starter? That’s MORE of an indictment of the former staff if you believe that to be true
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Antonio114 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:18 pm Agree with you on this other guy making silly claims without knowing what happened, but you really think Rapine would not have started had he stayed?
After an offseason in which the coaching staff stated over and over again that there would be open competition for roles—especially on defense—ask yourself why a three-year incumbent starter was suddenly not appearing in any fall scrimmages. And it wasn't injury related.
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:20 pm Good enough to be drafted as one of the top 14 players coming into the PLL but wouldn’t have been a starter? That’s MORE of an indictment of the former staff if you believe that to be true
You have to take all pro lax draft picks with a pretty big grain of salt even in normal times, but especially this year
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:18 pm Agree with you on this other guy making silly claims without knowing what happened, but you really think Rapine would not have started had he stayed?
After an offseason in which the coaching staff stated over and over again that there would be open competition for roles—especially on defense—ask yourself why a three-year incumbent starter was suddenly not appearing in any fall scrimmages. And it wasn't injury related.
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:20 pm Good enough to be drafted as one of the top 14 players coming into the PLL but wouldn’t have been a starter? That’s MORE of an indictment of the former staff if you believe that to be true
You have to take all pro lax draft picks with a pretty big grain of salt even in normal times, but especially this year
There has been plenty of speculation on why he didn’t appear in the fall and eventually left the program and from what I’ve read and have been told it does not paint the staff in a positive light.

While I agree with your thoughts on pro draft picks I am curious why you say especially this year. It would seem to me with a limited number of selections you would want to get it right although I will concede that the Hubler selection does not happen without Stagnitta making that call.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:33 pm
There has been plenty of speculation on why he didn’t appear in the fall and eventually left the program and from what I’ve read and have been told it does not paint the staff in a positive light.

While I agree with your thoughts on pro draft picks I am curious why you say especially this year. It would seem to me with a limited number of selections you would want to get it right although I will concede that the Hubler selection does not happen without Stagnitta making that call.
Especially this year because A) the talent pool is depleted with so many seniors returning to school, B) the PLL has drastically changed the format of their "season" this year and that could impact the types of players they select C) most guys who still aren't sure of their job/school status were not selected. The number of graduating seniors who are definitely done with school AND are not interested in playing in the MLL instead AND don't have job commitments that would conflict with a PLL tournament in July-August is really not that high. Add in what we already know about many of these selections (coaches picking former players, picking friends, picking friends of players on teams, etc. etc.), the selection is not entirely based on merit. That said, sure, Rapine has put some good defense on film (a lot from his freshman year) so maybe his ceiling is higher than some other guys and that thought they'd take a chance on him given what else was available. He was picked over a guy like Syracuse's Nick Mellen whom I think most people would say was the better college defender, but he's also tiny and has struggled with bigger attackmen. Rapine is a much bigger dude, maybe they thought he's better suited for the pro game.

To be honest I don't think the situation paints either party in a super positive light. And at the end of the day, neither are involved with the program anymore.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:38 pm
To be honest I don't think the situation paints either party in a super positive light. And at the end of the day, neither are involved with the program anymore.
Cautionary tales can and should have a life of their own.
viper

Post by viper »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 am Rapine drafted? I thought all he did was eat cookies and ice cream. He couldn’t play at JHU this year but gets drafted to the PLL, makes sense.
Maybe they noticed how much Ranagan improved once he went pro........
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:38 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Especially this year because A) the talent pool is depleted with so many seniors returning to school, B) the PLL has drastically changed the format of their "season" this year and that could impact the types of players they select C) most guys who still aren't sure of their job/school status were not selected. The number of graduating seniors who are definitely done with school AND are not interested in playing in the MLL instead AND don't have job commitments that would conflict with a PLL tournament in July-August is really not that high. Add in what we already know about many of these selections (coaches picking former players, picking friends, picking friends of players on teams, etc. etc.), the selection is not entirely based on merit. That said, sure, Rapine has put some good defense on film (a lot from his freshman year) so maybe his ceiling is higher than some other guys and that thought they'd take a chance on him given what else was available. He was picked over a guy like Syracuse's Nick Mellen whom I think most people would say was the better college defender, but he's also tiny and has struggled with bigger attackmen. Rapine is a much bigger dude, maybe they thought he's better suited for the pro game.

Appreciate the explanation and some good points
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Posting today for the Director of Ops position: https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/135978 ... oordinator

Does anyone know if Tim O'Branski might be back?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

EasyRider wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:22 pm Posting today for the Director of Ops position: https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/135978 ... oordinator

That’s a lot of responsibility requiring a broad set of skills. :shock:

Never knew ....

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

EasyRider wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:22 pm Posting today for the Director of Ops position: https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/135978 ... oordinator

Ima guess no or else why post the job opening?
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:30 pm

That’s a lot of responsibility requiring a broad set of skills. :shock:

Never knew ....

DocBarrister :shock:
I wonder what the compensation is for that job? I would hope that it is more than entry level?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DOLO is definitely above entry level. My guess is those guys get a decent salary. Not six figures, but maybe not too far off.

It's an important role with a ton of responsibilities but I wouldn't be surprised if it's awhile before one is hired. As that job description says, many of the duties are related to being on campus, the Cordish Center, in-season logistics and communication, filming, and recruiting. Absolutely none of which is going on right now.

Jack Lyne is coming back in 2021, according to his high school's Twitter. I don't think we quite saw enough of him as a starter at close D to tell one way or the other what kind of player he'd be, though one GB in six games for a defenseman isn't exactly ideal. Definitely has the length and athleticism to be effective in theory. I know our dear friend Fattylax had talked him up for several years.

Quite possible all three starters on close D return next year...I am very interested to see how many of them remain starters under the new staff.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell has a DOLO. My impression is that the function really helps take the administrative burden off the coaches, and helps handle a lot of important details. Also, it's another addition to a leadership team that helps maintain stability.

A lot of exciting infrastructure being put in place at JHU.
molo

Post by molo »

Maybe the cookies and ice cream are the reason for the pick. If I recall accurately, some posters on this forum were offended when PLL players drank beer after winning the championship. Is a shift to cookies and cream a new marketing tool that Paul picked up reading business literature?
molo

Post by molo »

Some information on the UVA board cleared up a slight reservation I had about the Grant, Jr. hire. Great player but then they just canned a great player.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

faircornell wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 pm Cornell has a DOLO. My impression is that the function really helps take the administrative burden off the coaches, and helps handle a lot of important details. Also, it's another addition to a leadership team that helps maintain stability.

A lot of exciting infrastructure being put in place at JHU.
Cornell has a DOLO?

Is he/she a good one? Experienced? Does he/she like eating fresh crab? Just curious ....

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”