The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:21 pm :lol: :lol: Says the guy that his killed more megabytes in text, than any other in forum history. :lol: You certainly make me laugh MD.

Lol. MD:

AEFE0EB4-65BB-4980-AE51-9C3DC0450945.jpeg
AEFE0EB4-65BB-4980-AE51-9C3DC0450945.jpeg (145.43 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Well well well.

Seems like Mayor Garcetti is doing some massive damage control this morning, but I am afraid the cat slipped out of the bag last night, when Marxist Health Commissioner Barbara Ferrer of LA County stated that the city would be closed all the way (and "at least:") to August. Garcetti is scrambling to say 'we didn't mean that'... :lol:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -rise.html

And so the voters rebelled last night in CA #25 Congressional House seat.

You see, people actually want to live and not be told to do things which on their very surface are inane. The chances of you dying of this virus are slim to none unless you are over 80 years of age or obese.

Get schools open and allow businesses to start reopening Dems, or you will suffer like you have never suffered in November. The two special elections last night should be canaries in the coal mine for you.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 64546?s=20
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

keep claiming this baloney PB, it creates quite the record...I suggest, however, that it would be wiser to wait and see whether blooms start popping up all over the country including overwhelming rural hospital systems.

Most of the country has already decided to 'open up' and sadly, way too many think that means not needing to care about safety precautions in the process. The heck with masks and washing hands, the heck with distancing.

If we were ALL committed to safety precautions, different story perhaps...but, sadly, that's not what is happening.

BTW, do you have any 80 year old relatives or friends, any younger folks who are obese or overweight, any with heart issues, diabetes perhaps?

Or are all your Redneck friends and relatives fit 30 year olds?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:21 pm :lol: :lol: Says the guy that his killed more megabytes in text, than any other in forum history. :lol: You certainly make me laugh MD.
glad to give you a chuckle, youth. ;)

I just think some of this is way, way over the top partisan BS.
Just doesn't add any actual meat to the discussion...that goes both ways, though PB is definitely off the charts whacko or troll.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:50 am

Just doesn't add any actual meat to the discussion...that goes both ways, though PB is definitely off the charts whacko or troll.
" though PB is definitely off the charts whacko or troll."

I am always happy to read what PB has to say. If someone did not have an opposing view all we would be reading here would be the FLP jack wagons stroking each other all day long. How effing boring would that be? :D We would always have our token moderate Republican who is always happy to join in the jack wagon stroke fest. :D He must be an ambidextrous stroker, better with the left than the right.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 am

I am always happy to read what PB has to say. If someone did not have an opposing view all we would be reading here would be the FLP jack wagons stroking each other all day long. How effing boring would that be? :D We would always have our token moderate Republican who is always happy to join in the jack wagon stroke fest. :D He must be an ambidextrous stroker, better with the left than the right.
:lol: quite the imagery! kudos!
My issue is that PB's nonsense is so off the charts partisan, hate the libs, that any actual discourse is not possible.
It's just yelling.

Again, one could make that argument about others too...but PB is so prolific and so 'troll' like that it's tedious...IMO.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 am keep claiming this baloney PB, it creates quite the record...I suggest, however, that it would be wiser to wait and see whether blooms start popping up all over the country including overwhelming rural hospital systems.

Most of the country has already decided to 'open up' and sadly, way too many think that means not needing to care about safety precautions in the process. The heck with masks and washing hands, the heck with distancing.

If we were ALL committed to safety precautions, different story perhaps...but, sadly, that's not what is happening.

BTW, do you have any 80 year old relatives or friends, any younger folks who are obese or overweight, any with heart issues, diabetes perhaps?

When's the crossover date from deaths from Covid-19 to deaths from economic decline, MD? If someone won't discuss that (as many here on this board won't), don't let them tell you they're looking at "the data"; they're just bs-ing you to November 3rd.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Wed May 13, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:16 am

My issue is that PB's nonsense is so off the charts partisan, hate the libs, that any actual discourse is not possible.
It's just yelling.

Again, one could make that argument about others too...but PB is so prolific and so 'troll' like that it's tedious...IMO.
PB is never dull. There are an equal # of FLP folks here that are off the chain in their perspective. They also are never dull. There is an old expression that if you take the sum total of what everyone has to say and cut it in half you will get very close to the truth. I am a sick puppy, I enjoy the discourse, what makes us all so different is what makes us all so interesting. The personal insults, which I have been guilty of at times, need to be toned down. It is more fun to disagree without being a jerk.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:29 am

It's just yelling.

PB is never dull. There are an equal # of FLP folks here that are off the chain in their perspective. They also are never dull. There is an old expression that if you take the sum total of what everyone has to say and cut it in half you will get very close to the truth. I am a sick puppy, I enjoy the discourse, what makes us all so different is what makes us all so interesting. The personal insults, which I have been guilty of at times, need to be toned down. It is more fun to disagree without being a jerk.

Cradle: I never (or I hope I never) lob direct personal insults; I think the Democratic Party is categorically wrong for the United States and I have no problem saying so; the facts back me up.

What some on this board are irritated by is honest opposition. As long as everyone plays on one side of the football field's 50-yard line, they remain content. The problem for the Dems here is the game is played all 100 yards. I'll keep throwing hail mary's the other way until we see a more normalized convo. I'm not interested in a liberal/left versus liberal/center convo when both end in economic destruction.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 am

It's just yelling.

Cradle: I never (or I hope I never) lob direct personal insults; I think the Democratic Party is categorically wrong for the United States and I have no problem saying so; the facts back me up.

What some on this board are irritated by is honest opposition. As long as everyone plays on one side of the football field's 50-yard line, they remain content. The problem for the Dems here is the game is played all 100 yards. I'll keep throwing hail mary's the other way until we see a more normalized convo. I'm not interested in a liberal/left versus liberal/center convo when both end in economic destruction.
That has been on me for some of the stuff I have thrown at MD. I have grown to love and respect this forums moderate Republican. I do know a bunch of not so moderate Republicans that would probably like to drag him out behind the woodshed and have a little chat about a few Republican policies.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:00 pm

It's just yelling.

That has been on me for some of the stuff I have thrown at MD. I have grown to love and respect this forums moderate Republican. I do know a bunch of not so moderate Republicans that would probably like to drag him out behind the woodshed and have a little chat about a few Republican policies.

Agreed except for one thing: when you put a stake in the ground as MD has done for all things ‘Trump’ (by which I mean, MD now thinks the Republican Party is now Trump and vice versus), he’s quickly veering into an unrecoverable position whereby any Republican is dirt and it’s more dangerous corollary, all Democrats are good.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:21 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 am keep claiming this baloney PB, it creates quite the record...I suggest, however, that it would be wiser to wait and see whether blooms start popping up all over the country including overwhelming rural hospital systems.

When's the crossover date from deaths from Covid-19 to deaths from economic decline, MD? If someone won't discuss that (as many here on this board won't), don't let them tell you they're looking at "the data"; they're just bs-ing you to November 3rd.
ahhh avoiding the question again?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:44 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:00 pm

It's just yelling.

Agreed except for one thing: when you put a stake in the ground as MD has done for all things ‘Trump’ (by which I mean, MD now thinks the Republican Party is now Trump and vice versus), he’s quickly veering into an unrecoverable position whereby any Republican is dirt and it’s more dangerous corollary, all Democrats are good.
:lol: :roll:

No, the Republican Party does not equal Trump, a point I've now made for nearly 4 years. But the Trumpist wing has definitely captured the apparatus of the Party and made it extremely uncomfortable for many life long R's to be willing to be associated with the most extreme elements. Those extreme elements used to be rejected by the the bulk of the GOP, that's no longer the case.

So, lots of R's have left the Party, officially. A few, like me, still remain.
That's the 10% of the shrinking GOP who don't 'approve of Trump'.
Still some residual hope that the Trump fever eventually breaks.

So, certainly it is incorrect to say that I think "any Republican is dirt". What, I'm dirt?
Do I think Romney is "dirt"? Do I think my Governor, Larry Hogan, is "dirt"?
I think that's pretty clearly a dumb, as well as inaccurate, statement, PB.

So too is it's "dangerous corollary, all Democrats are good".
Nope, not even close.

But do I agree with your categorical statement?: "the Democratic Party is categorically wrong for the United States"
Of course not, I believe in at least two competitive parties. We need vigorous debate and choices.

Where we've gone awry more recently is this all or nothing view of these party alignments. Gerrymandering and media bubbles.

And I don't see any basis to say that Dem Presidents have historically been less successful in leading the country than Republicans...I do think that single party domination by the Dems would not be a good thing, just as I think GOP domination would inevitably be bad as well...and that's without including the Trump nativist, racist, aspects. Too much power for either party will lead to overseeing...and as an actual conservative, overswings are the enemy!

"facts' back you up? what facts?

"honest opposition"??
whoo boy is that itself a whopper out of your mouth, PB.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Petey is CLEARLY a Trumpist.

-excessive spending is fine with him
-making the government larger than it has ever been is fine with him
-tariffs inhibiting free trade is fine with him
-protecting union sector jobs over private sector jobs is fine with him
-reckless tax cuts that favor the rich is fine with him
-reckless deficits are fine with him
-hundreds of billions in handouts to farmers is fine with him

....i could go on. But any real conservative would be HORRIFIED by what Trump has done domestically.

But Pete doesn't notice any of it. Why? Because like Trump, he thinks "sticking it to the libs" is the same thing as sound and minimal governance.

And please Pete, come back with what you think are Trump's judge appointments. The President doesn't appoint judges....the leader of the Senate does. That's McConnell's accomplishment, not Trump's.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:44 pm

The question being do I know anyone over 80 or obese? I thought it was a silly question since all of us do, but for the record, yes, I do.

Now answer my question, which I presume you will not. When the crossover date occurs, of economic ruin deaths to Covid deaths, will you support everyone going back to work? And when do you think that date will occur?

All those canceled surgeries, delayed doctor appointments, and the rest will also have a lasting effect on people’s health.

33 million people have filed for unemployment benefits since the pandemic took hold and the unemployment rate is nearly 15 percent. The uninsured is probably escalating to unimaginable levels.

Will you switch your position when what happens exactly? How many suicides will make you think it over?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:15 pm

The question being do I know anyone over 80 or obese? I thought it was a silly question since all of us do, but for the record, yes, I do.

Now answer my question, which I presume you will not. When the crossover date occurs, of economic ruin deaths to Covid deaths, will you support everyone going back to work? And when do you think that date will occur?

All those canceled surgeries, delayed doctor appointments, and the rest will also have a lasting effect on people’s health.

33 million people have filed for unemployment benefits since the pandemic took hold and the unemployment rate is nearly 15 percent. The uninsured is probably escalating to unimaginable levels.

Will you switch your position when what happens exactly? How many suicides will make you think it over?
I quite agree that there are huge costs, including health and mortality, from the crisis we're in. Not just directly caused by COVID, but rather by all the efforts to battle COVID.

But let's be clear, if hospitals are over run with COVID cases, you couldn't pay others to come to the hospital for preventive health care. If you don't get the COVID rush tamped down, you can't take care of anyone else...and you start losing docs and nurses and the health system breaks entirely. That's the scenario NY (and Italy and then France) was looking at without lockdown, and what may well happen elsewhere in a wave in the fall if we released distancing protocols, don't do the testing and tracing, etc.

Likewise, the food system breaks without the distancing protocols.

And yes, the uninsured aspect is indeed an enormous problem...I've been resistant to "Medicare for ALL" but it's certainly being made clear why that could make sense in such instances.

Meanwhile, extend COBRA and pump money directly to families.

Can we get back to work? You betcha.
But we need to do all the steps necessary to accomplish that successfully.
And ALL of us need to step up and do our part to reduce the spread, not flaunt our 'independence' by coughing in other people's faces...

As to crossover, that's a heck of a lot of deaths to reach to be at breakeven point of no distancing protocols etc. I haven't seen anything remotely akin to millions of deaths occurring based on the sacrifices we're making.

But much more importantly, it's simply not practical to ignore COVID...the health system would be crushed...including in Florida, PB.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:15 pm economic ruin deaths
Please, tell us how many of those there have been. Can’t say I have seen any reports, but then I only watch the news 18 hours a day.

I thought things were peachy keen down in Florida due to Governor God.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

njbill wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:29 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:15 pm economic ruin deaths
Please, tell us how many of those there have been. Can’t say I have seen any reports, but then I only watch the news 18 hours a day.

I thought things were peachy keen down in Florida due to Governor God.

For once I am thinking of other states' citizens. I feel badly if you are a small business owner in blue states in America; family owned business for decades, and about to be wiped out for politics.

The Dems will pay at the polls, trust on that. All the anti-business sentiment of your party has taken on decidedly socialist/communist tones, and Covid provided the cover they were seeking to go full-bore. If LA stays closed, you'll see the silent majority revolt.

All the Dems need to do now is erase democracy, because in a vote, anyone dead-set against capitalism will lose badly in this country; business is our DNA. Last night was a harbinger of things to come in the Fall.
njbill

Post by njbill »

The voters will take it out on Trump whether he is 100% at fault, 0%, or somewhere in between. Voters credit the president if things are going good, whether he deserves it or not. They blame thing him if things are going bad, again whether he deserves it or not. And, oh by the way, this president deserves the blame.

Even if the blue states stay closed longer than the red states, do you really think they will vote for Trump? Do you think California is going to go red?

Closer to home, you have noticed, I assume, that Trump is behind in Florida?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:48 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:15 pm

I quite agree that there are huge costs, including health and mortality, from the crisis we're in. Not just directly caused by COVID, but rather by all the efforts to battle COVID.

But let's be clear, if hospitals are over run with COVID cases, you couldn't pay others to come to the hospital for preventive health care. If you don't get the COVID rush tamped down, you can't take care of anyone else...and you start losing docs and nurses and the health system breaks entirely. That's the scenario NY (and Italy and then France) was looking at without lockdown, and what may well happen elsewhere in a wave in the fall if we released distancing protocols, don't do the testing and tracing, etc.

Likewise, the food system breaks without the distancing protocols.

And yes, the uninsured aspect is indeed an enormous problem...I've been resistant to "Medicare for ALL" but it's certainly being made clear why that could make sense in such instances.

Meanwhile, extend COBRA and pump money directly to families.

Can we get back to work? You betcha.
But we need to do all the steps necessary to accomplish that successfully.
And ALL of us need to step up and do our part to reduce the spread, not flaunt our 'independence' by coughing in other people's faces...

As to crossover, that's a heck of a lot of deaths to reach to be at breakeven point of no distancing protocols etc. I haven't seen anything remotely akin to millions of deaths occurring based on the sacrifices we're making.

But much more importantly, it's simply not practical to ignore COVID...the health system would be crushed...including in Florida, PB.
Have we seen suicides increase by 80,000 over the past 6 weeks?
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”